• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Sends Troops Into West Bank After Settlers Killed in Terrorist Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Israel sent four army battalions to the West Bank after Palestinian gunmen killed two Israeli settlers in a drive-by shooting that also wounded their children.

An army spokesman said the deployment was intended to prevent an escalation of violence south of the Palestinian city of Nablus, near the Jewish settlement of Itamar, where the killings took place on Thursday. The Israeli military is searching for the gunmen.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to increase security, saying the killings were the result of “Palestinian incitement.”

With peace talks between the two sides suspended for more than a year, tensions and violence have risen over the past month, especially at a Jerusalem shrine holy to both Muslims and Jews.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...battalions-to-west-bank-after-settlers-killed

Didn't see a thread.

You kick the hive and then act surprised at the bees stinging you.

Fuck terrorism though. Rip, those children are bow growing up without parents.

diamount

Banned
Well at least Nethanyu was quite honest why the attacks took place, but this circle of violence is going to get ugly.

How competent is the Palestinian law enforcement? Would they be able to deal with terrorists if they were given a chance?

I love the term "settlers".

It kind of invokes this idea that it's an open wilderness and they're just moving in and making it home.

genjiZERO

I don't see how it's terrorism when you kill someone that's stealing your land.

As much as I detest Israel it's terrorism if the purpose is to instill fear (or terror) into a civilian population regardless of the country where it happens. This very well could be simple street violence, but it could be terrorism too. I don't know enough of the details to give a solid opinion. And regardless of whether the settlements are horrible, immoral or illegal murdering people is still wrong.

Biff

I don't see how it's terrorism when you kill someone that's stealing your land.

Such a terrible post.

If targeting a family in a minivan isn't intended to cause terror in the Israeli settlers in the same area, then what, pray tell, meets your definition of terrorism?

Damaniel

Banned
Wow, that's not totally an overreaction. Four battalions for a drive by shooting? Yeah, the shooting sucks and I'd hope the perpetrators are hunted down and put in jail, but this reaction is like sending the National Guard out to the scene of a shooting here.

Such a terrible post.

If targeting a family in a minivan isn't intended to cause terror in the Israeli settlers in the same area, then what, pray tell, meets your definition of terrorism?
Settling in their land.

The scum who shot them must be killed/captured, but lets not overlook the fact that settlers are illegally taking over land that does not belong to them, sometimes by forcibling evicting the natives or by bulldozing their ancestral farms and properties or just under the shield of Israel's fucked up policies.

aeolist

Banned
Wow, that's not totally an overreaction. Four battalions for a drive by shooting? Yeah, the shooting sucks and I'd hope the perpetrators are hunted down and put in jail, but this reaction is like sending the National Guard out to the scene of a shooting here.

it's an excuse. israeli right-wingers have to keep up the oppression of palestinians because it's what their voting bloc is built on. if there's not a minor war every few years and the corresponding attacks on israeli civilians people might start wanting a reasonable compromise.

Its Netanyahoo. He has had an itching for a long time to kill some Palestinians. It's been too long for him. Red god wants blood.

West Bank? "Payback" for the UN speech more likely. Where were the battalions of IDF troops when settlers burned alive those Palestinains a few months ago?

Biff

Settling in their land.

The scum who shot them must be killed/captured, but lets not overlook the fact that settlers are illegally taking over land that does not belong to them, sometimes by forcibling evicting the natives or by bulldozing their ancestral farms and properties or just under the shield of Israel's fucked up policies.
Is this a se-
Its Netanyahoo. He has had an itching for a long time to kill some Palestinians. It's been too long for him. Red god wants blood.
Ah.

Of course people only pay attention the moment Israel responds, not when two parents are gunned down in front of their children by Palestinian terrorists.

Here is Fatah's military wing taking responsibility.
“With Allah’s help and in keeping with our right for resistance and our duty to sacred jihad, our forces on Thursday night carried out a necessary action in which they fired on a car of occupying settlers that left the settlement of Itamar, built on Palestinian lands in the south of the city of Hebron. They fired on the car and killed the settler and his partner.”
Hamas also praised the "heroic terror attack" and called for more "quality attacks." Looks like that cooperation pact between the two is having the desired effect.

Hope this doesn't lead to price-tag attacks or another flare up in Gaza like last time.

Also, the defence force for this makes me sick. Of course the continued settlement policy is wrong. But nothing in the world justifies targeting civilians - wounding and orphaning children. Nothing.

soul

Some people here actually support the killing of innocent civilians just because they are living in settlements. You've reached a new low, GAF.

Such a terrible post.

He's actually got a point. You bring your family to an ilegally occupied land where the real owners have no legal recourse to get their territory back, whatever they do isn't directed against you personally, it's them trying to get their stuff back.

Some people here actually support the killing of innocent civilians just because they are living in settlements. You've reached a new low, GAF.
Do you actually read threads or you just come to find justification for injustice?

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand I read your tag.

soul

He's actually got a point. You bring your family to an ilegally occupied land where the real owners have no legal recourse to get their territory back, whatever they do isn't directed against you personally, it's them trying to get their stuff back.

Yeah, the girl wanted to be raped because she wore slutty clothes.

Also, the defence force for this makes me sick. Of course the continued settlement policy is wrong. But nothing in the world justifies targeting civilians - wounding and orphaning children. Nothing.

Except nobody is defending the killings. Everybody knows it's wrong, the problem people have with it is that this situation and the many more that will happen in the future could've easily been avoided had Israel's leadership not been been so terrible in this reguard.

soul

I'm not saying it's acceptable to kill civilians, at all, but to place the blame on palestinians without doing some introspection is absurd.

So if a Mexican steals your TV, it's OK for you to break into any Mexican's apartment and steal his microwave in retaliation?

If someone from Israel is doing something bad towards Palestinians, it's OK for any Palestinian to come and shoot an innocent family. I see.

So if a Mexican steals your TV, it's OK for you to break into any Mexican's apartment and steal his microwave in retaliation?

If someone from Israel is doing something bad towards Palestinians, it's OK for any Palestinian to come and shoot an innocent family. I see.

If someone comes into my home and steals my stuff, and the authorities side with the thief, you bet your sweet ass I'm going to try and get it back.

If Israel wasn't invading palestinian territories, this wouldn't have happened.

Except nobody is defending the killings. Everybody knows it's wrong, the problem people have with it is that this situation and the many more that will happen in the future could've easily been avoided had Israel's leadership not been been so terrible in this reguard.
Ok, well i find the number of posts that totally fail to condemn the killings disturbing, along with the immediate deflection (hey lets not forget that settlements are bad) which, if a similar remark was made by someone arguing for an Israeli viewpoint, would be shouted down as "whataboutery".

Also, while Israel's leaders and a shamefully large number of settlers are directly responsible for perpetuating the cycle of violence, the idea that these sorts of attacks are simply the inevitable consequence of Israeli policy is absurd. Violent Jihadism against Jews in the Middle-East did not begin in 1967.

Please show me proof of 'ethnic cleansing', and your definition of what it actually means.

Why?

So Israel isn't forcibly removing Palestinians from their homes and claiming that land for Israeli citizens? Sure.

But collective punishment of Palestinians is OK because...

Omg

aeolist

Banned
Ok, well i find the number of posts that totally fail to condemn the killings disturbing, along with the immediate deflection (hey lets not forget that settlements are bad) which, if a similar remark was made by someone arguing for an Israeli viewpoint, would be shouted down as "whataboutery".

"whataboutism" in this case would be trying to bring up the syrian civil war or something. a related aspect of the specific incident at hand doesn't qualify.

Wondering if something is actually terrorism doesn't mean they find it acceptable.

No one is saying the act itself is okay. Is it unreasonable to expect the offended party to at the very least question why it happened?

Take this into context and you get a very different picture.

Actually people in the thread are trying to justify the killings with a lot of "whataboutisms".

It's always a tragedy when lives are lost, but unfortunately this is what happens when you try to keep an entire group of people oppressed. Eventually, some of them will turn to senseless violence in retaliation and revenge. Doesn't make it right in any way, but I understand why it happened.

Wondering if something is actually terrorism doesn't mean they find it acceptable.
How could it not be? It was damn well terrorism when those settlers killed Palestinians through an arson attack a couple of months ago. I don't understand how anyone in good faith could deny either situation. It is the textbook definition.

Settling in their land.

this over and over....

Maaaaaaan

I think you lack the required intellect capabilities to discuss this issue. Or maybe anything.

edit: I just checked your tag. Holy shit.

How could it not be? It was damn well terrorism when those settlers killed Palestinians through an arson attack a couple of months ago. I don't understand how anyone in good faith could deny either situation. It is the textbook definition.

If there are invaders in your home, are you a terrorist for trying to kick them out? Maybe technically, that's it.

This does not mean I condone the attacks. Seems this needs to be clarified in every post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom