• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel to shut Al Jazeera offices in Jerusalem and revoke credentials of journalists

Israel plans to revoke press credentials of Al-Jazeera TV journalists, close their Jerusalem bureau and pull the Qatar-based station's broadcasts from local cable and satellite providers, Communications Minister Ayoub Kara said on Sunday.

Kara accused the station of "supporting terrorism" and said cable broadcasters had agreed to his proposal to take the station's Arabic and English channels off air. Closure of the station's office would require further legislation, he added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-aljazeera-idUSKBN1AM0J6

emag

Israel has escalated its shuttering of human rights monitoring agencies, aid NGOs, and journalism outlets. Not surprising that AJZ would be targeted, especially now that the Saudi block is also going after Qatar.

Bedlam

8ubGFLt.gif

UberTag

Good to see America's bestest buddies are embracing fascism.
Perhaps they'll give Donny some ideas on things he can do upon his return from golf camp.
Of course, being the most entrenched lobby in all of US politics, the Democrats will be turning a blind eye to this as well.

Israel and Qatar were the countries that you always had to take the news about them from AJ with a big pinch of salt.
Cant say this is a good look for Israel though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Never a good sign when a government cracks down on journalists...
And it's happening everywhere. And not enough people are doing enough about it. Hell, half of them are cheering it on. I'm not really sure what can be done to stop this.

Seen some ads on YouTube from AJZ TALKING ABOUT protection of the rights of press.

Thought it was pretty random.

Guess it wasn't.

The Reuters article is pretty sparse and doesn't mention that this is related to the 2017 Qatar Diplomatic Crisis. Israel is joining Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Maldives, Yemen, Mauritanaia, Senegal, Comoros, Libya, Jordan, Chad, Eritrea, Gabon, Djibouti, Turkey, Iran, and Sudan.

What's interesting though is that Israel is the only Western-leaning country on that list. Not good company to be joining.

Mahonay

Banned
They had that long ago, they just don't care.
I mean, yeah, literally bulldozing Palestinians out their homes, and then furiously promoting to Jewish people from other countries to quickly come in and "settle" in those spots. It's some evil shit.

The Reuters article is pretty sparse and doesn't mention that this is related to the 2017 Qatar Diplomatic Crisis. Israel is joining Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Maldives, Yemen, Mauritanaia, Senegal, Comoros, Libya, Jordan, Chad, Eritrea, Gabon, Djibouti, Turkey, Iran, and Sudan.

What's interesting though is that Israel is the only Western-leaning country on that list. Not good company to be joining.

Only needs North Korea.

Wait, Saudi Arabia and Iran agreeing on something?

Madness

But it is not the only Middle-Eastern country in that list. Israel is finding that soon, it needs to have good relations with its neighbors and Asia. So while Israel and Qatar have okay relations, they have long accused the Qatari's of funding terrorism. Now that Saudi Arabia is leading this charge, Israel has to pick sides. Also, Turkey and Iran support Qatar. This is an attempt by Saudi Arabia to destroy Al-Jazeera which has been increasingly become a thorn in their side especially when they would talk about the Arab Spring in Saudi Arabia while the West never showed much of SA cracking down. Al-Jazeera also often shows and talks about Houthi Yemeni civilians being killed by SA who intervened in the civil war.

Qatar has the largest natural gas reserves however oil is running out which is why they pushed so much to become a sport and even financial powerhouse. So that Doha could be on the level of a Dubai etc. Going to be interesting seeing these countries all jostle for influence amongst each other.

Israel is also the biggest jailer and killer of journalists based on their size. Worse than even China and Russia. Military also censors the regular press.

So much for free speech.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Kara said the measures were intended to bolster Israel's security and "to bring a situation that channels based in Israel will report objectively".

no, see, they're closing it so the media can be MORE objective. That's how a free press works, right?

Not only are they shutting down their offices and banning their journalists.. they're going to block all cable and Internet streams as well. Can't believe people look at Israel and describe it as "the only democracy in the Middle East" with a straight face.. SMH

Israel is in a weird spot for me

the government is oppressive, its actions are cruel and unjust, Zionism has been disgustinglty distorted, and continued apartheid politics

but it's, rationally, the safest place for Christians, LGBT people, and other religious and ethnic minorities than any other country in the middle east

I know many on the left see this tactic as "pinkwashing" which I am not trying to do, its just this weird disconnect, the belief that Israel can be better, it has the capacity to be better

Marsyas

Banned
Israel is also the biggest jailer and killer of journalists based on their size. Worse than even China and Russia. Military also censors the regular press.

So much for free speech.

Reporters without borders (Violations of press freedom barometer) / RSF

Journalists currently imprisoned: 0 by Israel / 192 worldwide
Citizens journalists currently imprisoned: 0 by Israel / 170 worldwide
Media assistants currently imprisoned: 0 by Israel / 14 worldwide

whatever

Jabo

the government is oppressive, its actions are cruel and unjust, Zionism has been disgustinglty distorted, and continued apartheid politics

but it's, rationally, the safest place for Christians, LGBT people, and other religious and ethnic minorities than any other country in the middle east

I know many on the left see this tactic as "pinkwashing" which I am not trying to do, its just this weird disconnect, the belief that Israel can be better, it has the capacity to be better

oh man hahahaha reading that post and the post history... sheeeeesh..

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
"anti-semites!!!11"

lol.

Whenever someone preemptively does this I kind of side-eye them. Nowhere in the OP or anywhere in this thread is anyone using the anti-semitism angle. This happens constantly in Israel threads and it seems like it done in order to preempt people from calling out actual legitimate antisemitism that usually ends up filtering into these threads. I know that Israel heads have used this excuse in the past but these calls permeate every thread related to Israel. It's as if someone would constantly post "racism!! lol" in any thread related to a black person. How about we stick to calling out bullshit anti-semitism claims when they happen?

Lol that dumb thread is still in the front page

The thread about Jews and anti-semitism? Yeah, so stupid...

Any ethno state will ALWAYS end up like this. No matter who is in charge. Until Israel is no longer interested in being an ethnic state, you will be seeing shit like this.

DavidDesu

Any ethno state will ALWAYS end up like this. No matter who is in charge. Until Israel is no longer interested in being an ethnic state, you will be seeing shit like this.

This is definitely the problem. I don't pretend to intimately understand how Israel came to be after the Second World War and I cannot possibly imagine what it must be like to be Jewish after that, and after being vilified for centuries (thanks Bible). However I do find more than just a touch sadly ironic that the actions of modern Israel and it's treatment of Palestinians, the blatant and illegal stealing of their land and bulldozing of their houses to re-settle Jewish people there, reminds me of some of the actions that have been taken against the Jewish people/faith over the years. For someone who's not religious as well it's outright ludicrous that all of this seems to be happening justified by religious texts.

We mock people citing Islam to justify their actions, so why is Israel a special case? We have a country defined by a religion and not of the peoples who have lived there for generations. For as long as I've understood roughly how Israel works it's always felt wrong, and it seems nothing is letting up. Many, I'd guess easily most Israelis, are of course good decent people, and pretty liberal, but something has gone very wrong.

Trump and his hardcore supporters would no doubt love America to become a white Christian-centric nation, but if they actually stated that was their aim they'd be treated with disdain. Why does Israel get a free pass on all this? Is it really because of the global guilt felt over WW2? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Valhelm

contribute something
I have serious reservations about Al Jazeera and Qatar but holy christ this is unforgivable.

The only democracy in the Middle East once again proves itself to be anything but.

Top Bottom