• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official: No Nintendo console has lasted as long as Switch without being replaced

ManaByte

Banjo64

cumsessed
Fitting for the greatest ever console.

What will be even sweater is when it eventually outsells the $99 PS2 with no price drops.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by Laff

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you keep producing something it'll continue to sell without an alternative.
Not sure what the surprise is.
The goal is first to [insert number], not celebrate because you've finally reached what the competition passed years ago and you decide to keep running on your own.

Hudo

If that PS2 record is also counting PS2 Slims sold, then the number is bullshit. PS2 Slim is fucking useless since you can't even play FF11 on it. It's more like a gimmick than a real console. PS2 fat is where it's at.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Fitting for the greatest ever console.

What will be even sweater is when it eventually outsells the $99 PS2 with no price drops.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by Laff
Damn I didn’t even think about that. It really might outsell the PS2 without even a single price drop. That’s actually insane.

I bet more individual people have the Switch than PS2 already. This is anecdotal, but most of my friends bought a PS2 Slim when the drive on their original failed. It wouldn’t surprise me if a huge number of PS2 sales were duplicates.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
"Nintendo Color TV-Game"?? WTF, I'd never heard of a Nintendo console before the NES. And I'm old, too.
I’m not even sure that counts, cause they released 5 different “consoles” that each had a different game through that time iirc.

Anyway, it was this thing. Each console had one game, and it was like Pong and Breakout and shit.
dJgIyl4.jpeg

Muffdraul

Game Boy is a portable console. Like Switch, and unlike the NES.
Oh boy, term quibbling my favorite.

Technical definitions aside, it's long since been established shorthand lingo that there are consoles which you connect to your TV, and there are handhelds which have their own screen and are portable.

The Switch is a hybrid of both. In my subjective view, I loath handheld gaming (pretty much always did, but especially as I get older and my near-sight vision gets worse) it's a console that can be played in an inferior handheld mode by weirdos, if they want to.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
If that PS2 record is also counting PS2 Slims sold, then the number is bullshit. PS2 Slim is fucking useless since you can't even play FF11 on it. It's more like a gimmick than a real console. PS2 fat is where it's at.
lol, that's a silly comment. You could play 99% of PS2 games without HDD.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
honestly at this point what's the point of a Switch successor? I see this thing going for another 6 years. No point in stopping the train

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Game Boy was released April 21, 1989 in Japan. It got discontinued in March 31, 2003.

That's 14 years. Over 5,000 days (vs 2,687 of the Switch).
Game Boy was replaced twice, though.

Assuming Switch 2 launches next year, Switch won't be discontinued for another 3-4 years. That's still less time.

BlackTron

Although it hasn't had any price drop, Nintendo did release the cheaper Switch Lite, which has been very popular.

I know many people who picked up the lite as a cheap way to access the Switch library.

How I wish it had TV out. Switch is too big to be a really effective portable. But the lite doesn't Switch which is just too massive a tradeoff. Oh well.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Damn I didn’t even think about that. It really might outsell the PS2 without even a single price drop. That’s actually insane.
used market switches can be picked up for 2 pennies and a cardboard box
CW9bZV9.png

Xxl9PxB.png
9c5HAJn.png

SFzOAfY.png

People lament the death of official price drops in video game consoles but that's really just because eBay prices on a regular weekday will drop further than any Black Friday deal. Lord have mercy if you can find a good one at a garage sale, flea market, or Facebook Marketplace.

Not to invalidate the Switch's success- But let's be real here it's cheap to get these systems, more than ever before

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Oh boy, term quibbling my favorite.

Technical definitions aside, it's long since been established shorthand lingo that there are consoles which you connect to your TV, and there are handhelds which have their own screen and are portable.

The Switch is a hybrid of both. In my subjective view, I loath handheld gaming (pretty much always did, but especially as I get older and my near-sight vision gets worse) it's a console that can be played in an inferior handheld mode by weirdos, if they want to.

The OG and OLED Switch is a hybrid, but the Switch Lite is a pure handheld.

Considering Switch Lite sales are tallied up with the OG and OLED sales, I don't think it's too out there to compare the Switch to handhelds and home consoles.

Doesn’t matter to Nintendo. It’s just a date on the calendar for them. Switch is still selling and they’ve never been more profitable.

There’s definitely no rush to get the next system out.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

The OG and OLED Switch is a hybrid, but the Switch Lite is a pure handheld.

Considering Switch Lite sales are tallied up with the OG and OLED sales, I don't think it's too out there to compare the Switch to handhelds and home consoles.
I basically agree with that. I was more interested in addressing the total b.s. that a device like a Game Boy would be considered a "console" for the purposes of this discussion.

Top Bottom