• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Lucky me, I didn't know italia-gaf existed!

I'm planning to visit your glorious country in September. I have a question, is it realistic do visit pompeii from Rome and come back in a day?

Of course, it takes only 1 hour and 10 minutes from Roma Termini Station to Napoli Centrale Station.
https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchOutputViewer&cFID=yccLrRJxTJ16
Prices are not fixed, there's promotions (look for the Base Economy fare), even more when you book at the beginning of each month (going as far as paying only 10€ for the fastest train Rome to Milano -and viceversa- which is usually >80€) and you usually pay way less if you book in advance, especially if >1 week.

Then you take a train from Napoli Centrale to Pompeii using the Circumvesuviana train route, there's a train every 30min and it takes roughly 40minutes to get there, costs 4€.

To get back in Rome, the last (high-speed) train from Napoli Centrale is around 7:30 PM and gets you to Stazione Termini by 8:40PM.

All in all, if you find no promotions at all and book at the very last minute, you're going to spend €90 for the whole trip using the Freccia (arrow) train (high-speed train) for Rome>Napoli and back and using the cheapo county train for Napoli>Pompeii and back.

*DON'T LOOK/BOOK a train to get straight to Pompeii leaving from Rome* it's slower and more expensive with a terrible timetable to boot.

I'm afraid not :/

lol wut? :p

There's no Shinkansen (Japanese bullet train) in Italy :p

Thank god for that.
Italo gets close-ish to 400kmh, it's no Shinkasen but I'd say it's fast enough, a LOT cheaper and it gets me to Milan from Rome in 2:20 then I can do business there and be home by dinner.

Hey, so I've been wondering:

Do you guys know of any good anime that has Italian subtitles?

Or any really good Italian shows? I figure that'll help me a lot as I learn the language.

Rikkun

Aβydoς;119932918 said:
We qualcuno da Brescia o Milano o dintorni?
3793084-oldman.gif

Not really, but you get the idea.

Or any really good Italian shows? I figure that'll help me a lot as I learn the language.

Really good Italian shows? No, not really.
Oh wait yeah, you could check out Gomorra (it's a TV show too now, started as a book and then a movie), or Romanzo Criminale (two seasons, 1 hour per episode).

But keep in mind they talk about mafia (the first) and criminality in Rome (the latter), so they wouldn't really be the best example on how to speak and spell Italian. You might get confused, it would be like learning English with True Detective.

You could maybe check out L'Ultimo Bacio, a movie that became The Last Kiss with Zach Braff in the US and Notte Prima degli Esami, a movie about the night before the final exams in high school.

If anyone asks, I never told you this. Good luck.

Copons

You could maybe check out L'Ultimo Bacio, a movie that became The Last Kiss with Zach Braff in the US and Notte Prima degli Esami, a movie about the night before the final exams in high school.

Screenshotted for future reference! :D

Btw I'd TOTALLY avoid Gomorra, Romanzo Criminale and Boris too (basically: the only Italian shows with production values comparable to UK/US ones), because they all heavily relies on regional accents, usually hard to understand even from native Italians.

To explain: I'm not from Sicily and I need subtitles for the Sicilian scenes in The Godfathers. I understand way better the slurring of Marlon Brando than people from Sicily speaking an Italian dialect. :D

In the same fashion, I have plenty of friends who just miss lots of jokes from Boris or lines from Romanzo Criminale because they aren't used to Roman dialect.

LeleSocho

Banned
Really good Italian shows? No, not really.
Oh wait yeah, you could check out Gomorra (it's a TV show too now, started as a book and then a movie), or Romanzo Criminale (two seasons, 1 hour per episode).

Why would you suggest these two series? ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
It's like giving a book of advanced calculus to a person who want to learn how to multiply

Vermillion the italian subs scene for anime is quite active so probably you'll find your favorite anime subbed, if you need a hand send me a PM.

UrbanRats

It's like giving a book of advanced calculus to a person who want to learn how to multiply

Vermillion the italian subs scene for anime is quite active so probably you'll find your favorite anime subbed, if you need a hand send me a PM.

Yeah, those are too dialect heavy and complicated.

I was gonna say that the only good, modern Italian show in existence is Boris, but that also features maybe a bit too roman dialect.
I'd say his best chance is to apply italian subtitles to a show he knows or likes, where they speak English (or whatever his native language is) like say Avatar the last air bender and such.

I'm not advocating piracy, y'all, just suggesting he rips those dvds and applies some ITA subtitles, like from Itasa and such.

Philippo

Aβydoς;119992297 said:
Buona, se aumentiamo di numero ci sta la reunion

Io sono di Milano, però ora sto a Venezia per l'uni.

btw what the fuck is going on with the weather?
I went on the riverside to read a book (hilariously, about Odin) and a frigging' giant storm came.
I think i've never seen a summer such non-summer like this.

edit: woot i became a member, daje rega

Sol1dus

I lived in Bologna in 2012 for 5 months and I fell I love with the country. I think about it every single day and I can't wait to go back.

Rikkun

Screenshotted for future reference! :D

Btw I'd TOTALLY avoid Gomorra, Romanzo Criminale and Boris too (basically: the only Italian shows with production values comparable to UK/US ones), because they all heavily relies on regional accents, usually hard to understand even from native Italians.

To explain: I'm not from Sicily and I need subtitles for the Sicilian scenes in The Godfathers. I understand way better the slurring of Marlon Brando than people from Sicily speaking an Italian dialect. :D

In the same fashion, I have plenty of friends who just miss lots of jokes from Boris or lines from Romanzo Criminale because they aren't used to Roman dialect.

Yeah, those are too dialect heavy and complicated.

I was gonna say that the only good, modern Italian show in existence is Boris, but that also features maybe a bit too roman dialect.
I'd say his best chance is to apply italian subtitles to a show he knows or likes, where they speak English (or whatever his native language is) like say Avatar the last air bender and such.

I'm not advocating piracy, y'all, just suggesting he rips those dvds and applies some ITA subtitles, like from Itasa and such.

I knowwwwwwww
But these are the only watchable things that came out if Italy, you'd have better luck with movies. Just using subs wouldn't help as much as also having the italian VO since the whole phrase could be changed to fit the language.. Watching a US show with german subs wouldn't help me at all, I'd have to already know the language.

So, maybe watch a translated series? Or some older movies, some VO are pretty good even if sometimes the meaning of the whole is changed.

UrbanRats

I knowwwwwwww
But these are the only watchable things that came out if Italy, you'd have better luck with movies. Just using subs wouldn't help as much as also having the italian VO since the whole phrase could be changed to fit the language.. Watching a US show with german subs wouldn't help me at all, I'd have to already know the language.

So, maybe watch a translated series? Or some older movies, some VO are pretty good even if sometimes the meaning of the whole is changed.

We dub everything here, easier to just get some Italian dvds and activate Italian Hearing Impaired subtitles.

Rikkun

We dub everything here, easier to just get some Italian dvds and activate Italian Hearing Impaired subtitles.

Yeppp

European blurays pretty much always have Italian too, should be even easier.

Also, I'm from somewhere in the northern Italy but I'm also a spy so who knows.

Enfinit

I'll be traveling to Catanzaro, Calabria from Glasgow, UK at the end of July, and it's my first trip to southern Italy (meeting long-last family!).

Any advice on sites to see around the area/places to avoid, etc.? Thanks!

Manp

Aβydoς;120056437 said:
Magari ti conosco! Spero di no francamente perché ho detto certe porcate qui che guai se si vengono a scoprire nel mondo vero.

allora facciamo finta di niente...

La Meglio Gioventù has been serialized as 4 100 minutes episodes, you could check that out. The subject matter might be a little impenetrable since it's littered with references to Italian post-war history, but the writing is excellent and there's no discernible accents either.

You can find it all on YT.

La Meglio Gioventù has been serialized as 4 100 minutes episodes, you could check that out. The subject matter might be a little impenetrable since it's littered with references to Italian post-war history, but the writing is excellent and there's no discernible accents either.

You can find it all on YT.

I had to watch it for class.

Good movie, but too damn long.

EDIT: But thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ciao belli!

We co-own a villa in Tolfa, 1 hour from Rome, and I lived in Rome for 8 months back in 2009.

We usually go at least two times a year, next visit'll be in August :) maybe I'll run into one of you guys sometime, lol

Rikkun

Ciao belli!

We co-own a villa in Tolfa, 1 hour from Rome, and I lived in Rome for 8 months back in 2009.

We usually go at least two times a year, next visit'll be in August :) maybe I'll run into one of you guys sometime, lol

You should've rented it to me for free for the summer, instead I'll have to spend a week near Livorno.

What the fuck is there in Livorno aside from caciucco and fuckin' Allegri? Jesus.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Because of you, that's definitely now in my plans. However, what's the most efficient way to get there from Catanzaro? I suppose I could keep with the rental car, however I try to use public transportation as much as I can around Italia, as unreliable as it is sometimes.
I think by car would be the most efficient way.
Tropea is also a great place to visit. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropea
Lamezia Terme and Soverato are nice too.

pulga

Banned
ItaliaGAF, help me out with something thats been driving me crazy and cant quite figure out

Comunque, Allora, Quindi

How do I use them?

Also, any tips on correctly using 'ci' are very welcome, fucking word with all its variables.

Tomodachi

ItaliaGAF, help me out with something thats been driving me crazy and cant quite figure out

Comunque, Allora, Quindi

How do I use them?

Also, any tips on correctly using 'ci' are very welcome, fucking word with all its variables.

Tricky words, let's try with some examples.

Comunque vada sarà un successo => This will be a success, no matter what.
Questa cosa fa schifo. Comunque, non importa molto => This thing sucks. Anyway, it doesn't matter a lot.
Comunque c'è da dire che... => Anyway it must also be said that...

Allora, che facciamo oggi? => So, what are we going to do today?
Se farai il bravo allora ti regalerò una PS4 => If you'll be a good boy, then I'll get you a PS4.

But there's also, with a different meaning:
Mi mancano quei tempi, allora tutto funzionava meglio => I miss those days, back then everything worked better.

E quindi? => So what? (as in "what happened then?" for example)
Vai sempre dritto, quindi gira a destra => Go straight ahead, then turn right
Il tempo è bello, quindi possiamo andare a mare => The wether is good, so (=that means that) we can go to the sea.

As for "ci" it usually means "noi" or "a noi", so "us" or "to us".
Questa cosa ci interessa => This thing matters to us
But "(noi) ci vediamo dopo" means "we'll see each other later".

This is where it gets really tricky.
"Cosa c'è?" => "Cosa ci è?" => "What's up?"
Literally it would be "What is here?" as "ci" can also be used as an adverb meaning "here" or even "there" ("Aspetta, ora ci vado" => "Wait, I'm going there").

Sometimes it can also be used in "Cosa ci fai qui?" => "What are you doing here" and well, I don't even know what's "ci" doing in a phrase like that :p It's apparently something deriving from latin (dativus ethicus, or dativo etico), something that has an emotional connotation, so it adds to the expression the joy or surprise to see a person in a particular place while you were not expecting it. It's similar to "Ma cosa mi combini?" => it's basically "What are you up to?" but the "mi" (= to me) adds something familiar: so be careful, it doesn't mean "what are you doing to me?" even if literally it could be translated like that.

Italian can be a bitch, I really don't envy people trying to learn it.

I'm sure other people can bring many more examples and meaning, because those are very versatile words.

Rikkun

Comunque, Allora, Quindi

How do I use them?

PULGA BABY WHO HURT YOU?

Allora is can be used pretty much instead of everything.

Tricky words, let's try with some examples.

Comunque vada sarà un successo => This will be a success, no matter what.
Questa cosa fa schifo. Comunque, non importa molto => This thing sucks. Anyway, it doesn't matter a lot.
Comunque c'è da dire che... => Anyway it must also be said that...

Allora, che facciamo oggi? => So, what are we going to do today?
Se farai il bravo allora ti regalerò una PS4 => If you'll be a good boy, then I'll get you a PS4.

But there's also, with a different meaning:
Mi mancano quei tempi, allora tutto funzionava meglio => I miss those days, back then everything worked better.

E quindi? => So what? (as in "what happened then?" for example)
Vai sempre dritto, quindi gira a destra => Go straight ahead, then turn right
Il tempo è bello, quindi possiamo andare a mare => The wether is good, so (=that means that) we can go to the sea.

As for "ci" it usually means "noi" or "a noi", so "us" or "to us".
Questa cosa ci interessa => This thing matters to us
But "(noi) ci vediamo dopo" means "we'll see each other later".

This is where it gets really tricky.
"Cosa c'è?" => "Cosa ci è?" => "What's up?"
Literally it would be "What is here?" as "ci" can also be used as an adverb meaning "here" or even "there" ("Aspetta, ora ci vado" => "Wait, I'm going there").

Sometimes it can also be used in "Cosa ci fai qui?" => "What are you doing here" and well, I don't even know what's "ci" doing in a phrase like that :p It's apparently something deriving from latin (dativus ethicus, or dativo etico), something that has an emotional connotation, so it adds to the expression the joy or surprise to see a person in a particular place while you were not expecting it. It's similar to "Ma cosa mi combini?" => it's basically "What are you up to?" but the "mi" (= to me) adds something familiar: so be careful, it doesn't mean "what are you doing to me?" even if literally it could be translated like that.

Italian can be a bitch, I really don't envy people trying to learn it.

I'm sure other people can bring many more examples and meaning, because those are very versatile words.

Yes, this.

Did you guys see his english skills?

I just came here to say that I'm extremely jealous of your country. You have the most beautiful landscapes in the world, your food is the best, and your women make me moist.

I love you. Italy. I wish i was Italian.

Daweex

Banned
I just came here to say that I'm extremely jealous of your country. You have the most beautiful landscapes in the world, your food is the best, and your women make me moist.

Thank you and all, but our country at the moment is NOT a good country to live in.
Visit it all the times you want, but don't ever even think about moving here.
And this comes from a person who, all things considered, is proud of being Italian.

Thank you and all, but our country at the moment is NOT a good country to live in.
And this comes from a person who, all things considered, is proud of being Italian.

I would move to an Italian countryside cottage in a heartbeat, if i could.

J2d

Hey Italy gaf I need some advice, I'm in Venice at the moment and I realize I'm about to get fucked in every tourist way possible, but, I just had a dinner were the total was 62€ and written on the top of the receipt was 70€. Is that with some tourist tax or what they just expect us to pay with the tip?

Sentenza

Hey Italy gaf I need some advice, I'm in Venice at the moment and I realize I'm about to get fucked in every tourist way possible, but, I just had a dinner were the total was 62€ and written on the top of the receipt was 70€. Is that with some tourist tax or what they just expect us to pay with the tip?
Hard to say since every restaurant seems to go with its own rules and there isn't a "standardized fee for tip" like for Americans.

It could be what we usually call "coperto". Which is essentially a small extra just for... Well, sitting at the table, for how stupid it sounds now that I think about it. Some restaurants add it to the bill, others don't.
Or... Yeah, it could be that the owner is dishonest and he thinks tourists are easily fooled.

Sorry, I don't think I can tell you anything useful without being familiar with that place.

Rikkun

Italian women make me moist too!
I would move to an Italian countryside cottage in a heartbeat, if i could.
Hope you're ready for some godly 56k internet!
4€ for the coperto is quite high but yeah, it's Venezia. Hope at least you got a good meal.
If you're choosing a restaurant with a person outside who has the duty to bring people in for dinner, at least try and get the best price possible before choosing to sit down.
I don't know about Venezia (I've been there like 15 years ago) but I'm sure about Verona and Napoli.

But then again, I'm always for the hidden restaurant and not the 10-window shopping-mall-like megarestaurant in front of the Arena di Verona.

Also I'm poor as fuck and I love Burger King and kebab and cotolette so who gives a shit about fancy fish

Why?

Also, I'm headed to Italia this week. Don't have much time so Florence for 1 day, Rome for 2 days, and Amalfi for 3 days. What are the best things to do along the Amalfi coast?

Philippo

If you're ok with easy stuff and street food then look for Fritto-Inn and Bacareto da Lele (both less than 5 min from the station) or Alfredino's (take away pasta), they are cheap and make some exquisite things!
Sadly i can't help you out on restaurants since i've never been to one (i'm a student, moved here last september).
Also try a breakfast/drink at Caffé Filermo, a small and nice place witj a lovely Brazilian owner.
Will update if anything comes to mind.

Edit: oh and Antico Forno for a really awesome pizza.

Edit2: oh i just saw he wasn't asking for advices on where to go but only explanations on "coperto", lol sorry!

Top Bottom