• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Leeness

I've passed by it last Sunday and even if I didn't pay enough attention, I'd say that it's like 1/4 covered by scaffoldings, so you should have plenty of stuff to look or take pictures without framing anything bad.

On the bright side, the restored part is glowing!
I was amazed, because I was totally used to see it covered by dirt and smog, and I guess that in 30 years this was the first time I've seen it that clean. :D

EDIT: I'd add that from outside I could see lots of people inside, so I guess if it's in your plans you should be fine.

Oh thank goodness. ;_; Seriously, I would have been crushed. Phew.

Excited for tomorrow! Ancient Rome Day.

It really looks magnificent. Della Valle could sell his shoes inside of it for all I care.

08dd3f9bc9a8e716c027da3a79604c4d.jpg

043b22ee380e81252beb95bba85c01ae.jpg

Leeness

Ancient Rome day rained a lot so I didn't see as much as I wanted :( Aw well, still saw a lot.

Last day in Rome tomorrow! :( Beautiful city, but I could have spent longer (wanted to spend more than a day in Florence too). Even though it was empty, I tossed a coin into Trevi anyway so I will return and spend a longer time in Rome and Florence, and I will go see Venice too.

Rikkun

Hey GAF

I never visited Rome. Whenever I have money I always go to Trento during Winter to get that xmas feel.

Am I a bad person? pls respond.

soqquatto

Hey GAF

I never visited Rome. Whenever I have money I always go to Trento during Winter to get that xmas feel.

Am I a bad person? pls respond.

yep you are. Rome is amazing, Romans are nice (once you get to know them). tourists are horrible but it's a price you're willing to pay for all that amazingness.

UrbanRats

I'm not sure what "Romans are nice" means though.

Surely there are nice people and assholes, like every other city place in the world.

Also, whenever i'm in Florence, i actually love to see a lot of tourists around, it's fun.

Leeness

So despite my mother insisting young Italian men would be all over me, none were. :( However, I had three 60ish year old men want to show me around inside of churches. Do older Italian men love to pick up younger tourist chicks? Lmao.

Sentenza

So despite my mother insisting young Italian men would be all over me, none were. :( However, I had three 60ish year old men want to show me around inside of churches. Do older Italian men love to pick up younger tourist chicks? Lmao.
I thought it was true for old men everywhere, actually.

SamVimes

Honestly i don't think italian men are more aggressive than anywhere else, it's just a stereotype.

Leeness

Honestly i don't think italian men are more aggressive than anywhere else, it's just a stereotype.

Pretty much. It's the same as Canada and Paris. I had hoped to meet a handsome Italian or French man and have a whirlwind fairy tale romance, but alas. I return to Canada in two days having only spoken to men in their 60s (and one Paris guy in his early 40s or something).

Lol

Pretty much. It's the same as Canada and Paris. I had hoped to meet a handsome Italian or French man and have a whirlwind fairy tale romance, but alas. I return to Canada in two days having only spoken to men in their 60s (and one Paris guy in his early 40s or something).

Lol

Should have posted about your arrival earlier, could have hooked you up with some nice italian guys (25 to 30 y-o)

Rikkun

Of course you are.
Ah, finally I know, thanks!!

yep you are. Rome is amazing, Romans are nice (once you get to know them). tourists are horrible but it's a price you're willing to pay for all that amazingness.
I work with tourists (kinda), so I already hate EVERYONE.

Stereotypes are killing us, we failed our mission.
(My stereotype for canadian girls are blue-haired cute hipsters traveling on rollers)

0OoO0

Just got into Palermo about an hour ago. I'm in my nice room from air b&b and about to head out to explore. Any cool places to check out and where should I eat? I have 3 nights here

Rikkun

Is it weird that I can barely speak a word of italian but two of my favorite singers are marco masini and jovanotti?

That's BECAUSE you don't know the language.
Late Jovanotti or young Jovanotti?

Some songs are nice

That's what a bad person would say, no doubt.

Gotta find new markets bro. There is gold in the streets just waiting for someone to come and scoop it up.

Leeness come to Milan, I'll show you the Duomo
/s

Rikkun

Duomo in Florence, bro.

There's a Duomo in every city here actually, except Rome maybe? Milan is just the closest to me. Come on. Come on come on come on come on come on come on come on. And bring a copy of Fifa, I know you do that in Canada, that alone would've let you pick up HORDES of Italian guys.

Leeness

There's a Duomo in every city here actually, except Rome maybe? Milan is just the closest to me. Come on. Come on come on come on come on come on come on come on. And bring a copy of Fifa, I know you do that in Canada, that alone would've let you pick up HORDES of Italian guys.

Isn't the most famous one the Florence one? None in Rome that I saw.

I leave Europe in a day :( Back in Paris now. Next time I will go to Milan though (and Venice, and more Rome, and Florence for more than a day).

Not even FIFA would help, I'm afraid :p

Rikkun

Isn't the most famous one the Florence one? None in Rome that I saw.

I leave Europe in a day :( Back in Paris now. Next time I will go to Milan though (and Venice, and more Rome, and Florence for more than a day).

Not even FIFA would help, I'm afraid :p

Well yeah, they're the most famous, but "Duomo" is usually intended as the biggest church in the city. Idk about Rome unluckily.

This is the one in Milan

This should
never visited Firenze
be the one in Firenze. It's also famous worldwide for ACII probably..

Next time bring a football ball, you can hypnotize boys with that! Feel free to post here whenever you want and when you'll be back!

Leeness

That is the one in Florence, yes. Also, speaking of Assassin's Creed, I got a kick out of all the Ezio merchandise in Florence :)

Lawd hammercy at that Milan church.

I plan on coming back in 2016, I think. Trevi will be fixed by then ;_; Italy 2016, already planning for like, couple days in Rome, couple in Florence, couple in Venice, now I have to see that church in Milan haha. Then maybe like...Amsterdam. I want to go there too. I want to go everywhere in Europe tho...

Not even footballs will help :p

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Italia GAF, eh? Yes, this thread is relevant to my interests.

My dad's family is from Liguria, and he was born in Genoa. Moved to the USA in the mid-50s, though, so he's been here for a while.

I've been back to the old country three times... in 1991, 2000, and 2007... and spent ~14 weeks or so traveling around. Guess I'm about due for another trip...

Sentenza

Isn't the most famous one the Florence one?
Not even close.
Milan's and Rome's ones are the most famous (and impressive).
Quoting Mark Twain after he visited the former:
"They say that the Cathedral of Milan is second only to St. Peter's at Rome. I cannot understand how it can be second to anything made by human hands."

I'm from Milan. incidentally I'm not generally particularly proud of the city I live in, but the "Duomo di Milano" is really a sight to behold; especially when you are not already more than used to it.

Rikkun

Not even footballs will help :p

Just give it a try!

Italia GAF, eh? Yes, this thread is relevant to my interests.

My dad's family is from Liguria, and he was born in Genoa. Moved to the USA in the mid-50s, though, so he's been here for a while.

I've been back to the old country three times... in 1991, 2000, and 2007... and spent ~14 weeks or so traveling around. Guess I'm about due for another trip...

Welcome! I really should do a weekend in Liguria. Pesto and Focaccia, and focaccia al pesto... belin.

Not even close.
Milan's and Rome's ones are the most famous (and impressive).
Quoting Mark Twain after he visited the former:
"They say that the Cathedral of Milan is second only to St. Peter's at Rome. I cannot understand how it can be second to anything made by human hands."

I'm from Milan. incidentally I'm not generally particularly proud of the city I live in, but the "Duomo di Milano" is really a sight to behold; especially when you are not already more than used to it.

I don't know many people proud of their city here in Italy, but they're all so good. I used to work in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, never lived or worked in Milan before and yeah, the Duomo during sunrise was a beauty. And in case of rain, there's always someone selling an umbrella too.

Welcome! I really should do a weekend in Liguria. Pesto and Focaccia, and focaccia al pesto... belin.
Farinata man. That shit's dope.

Also Milan is a shithole lol. Sorry, I always get sick when I go there. Last time I was in Piazza Duomo over there, I was approached by some guy who wanted me to sign something, told him I wasn't interested and as a response he insulted me while walking away. What a cunt. Then I go to some Chinese-managed pizzeria to eat something on the cheap and some pompous middle aged milanese walks in and acts all arrogant-flirtatious-racist-I don't even know with the Chinese waitress. Man.

Just don't like it there. The Duomo is cool, still like the one in Florence with the awesome Brunelleschi's cupola way better. Just give me Rinascimento (not calling it Renaissance in this thread, damn froggies stealing our words) over gothic, any day of the week, it's all about the glory of man.

Sentenza

Also Milan is a shithole lol. Sorry, I always get sick when I go there. Last time I was in Piazza Duomo over there, I was approached by some guy who wanted me to sign something, told him I wasn't interested and as a response he insulted me while walking away. What a cunt. Then I go to some Chinese-managed pizzeria to eat something on the cheap and some pompous middle aged milanese walks in and acts all arrogant-flirtatious-racist-I don't even know with the Chinese waitress. Man.

Just don't like it there.
That's probably the worst use of anecdotal evidence I've seen in a long while.

That's probably the worst use of anecdotal evidence I've seen in a long while.
Well those were the only two milanesi I met when I was there. Lived in my city (Trento) for the best part of 20 years and I 1. was never insulted on the street, except from one instance (from two guys with a Roman accent, though), 2. have never seen anyone behaving in such an offensive way to a waitress. That all happened in the space of a couple of hours in Milan lol

inbruges_day_pic1b.jpg

Did you try to shoot down the bear? That usually works.

I love Trento, half of my family lives there and whenever I go I visit your Mercatini di Natale
Hahah that damn bear man. People in Slovenia eat them, the Swiss shoot them on sight every time they pass the border, we kill one by mistake after it attacked a man and everyone hates us now lol Grossly incompetent way of dealing with the issue, though, that's for sure.

Nothing better than getting drunk on mulled wine in the freezing cold at Christmas time, yep.

edit: I assume that's In Bruges and Colin Farrell says that Bruges is a shithole? Still gotta see that movie, has been on my to do list forever

Rikkun

Hahah that damn bear man. People in Slovenia eat them, the Swiss shoot them on sight every time they pass the border, we kill one by mistake after it attacked a man and everyone hates us now lol Grossly incompetent way of dealing with the issue, though, that's for sure.

Nothing better than getting drunk on mulled wine in the freezing cold at Christmas time, yep.

edit: I assume that's In Bruges and Colin Farrell says that Bruges is a shithole? Still gotta see that movie, has been on my to do list forever

Oh man, that's like the very first line of the movie, and yes you absolutely have to watch it. Never heard the Italian dub but avoid it at all costs, the original one is too good to be replaced.

As for the bear.. yeah I always felt that just happened in a slow day for news.

Oh, and as we're here, do you have a cheap hotel in town to recommend? I went to the Quid Hotel last year, price was alright and they had free vìn brulé so I'm not complaining at all :p

Oh man, that's like the very first line of the movie, and yes you absolutely have to watch it. Never heard the Italian dub but avoid it at all costs, the original one is too good to be replaced.

As for the bear.. yeah I always felt that just happened in a slow day for news.

Oh, and as we're here, do you have a cheap hotel in town to recommend? I went to the Quid Hotel last year, price was alright and they had free vìn brulé so I'm not complaining at all :p
No clue sorry, the only hotel in Trento I ever stepped in was the Grand Hotel Trento in the train station area and that was for my IELTS test. Looked pretty nice, but judging from the name it can't be particularly cheap. edit: that was actually the second time I went there, first time was when I acted as a Festival di Sanremo judge lol Don't ask me about that

There's actually a place just outside town I know, on the hills around it some 3km from the city center, called Villa Madruzzo, which is pretty damn nice and is also supposed to be a hotel (I was only there for a wedding). Again, it's probably not on the cheap side. That exhausts my hotels knowledge really.

Copons

Just saying:

Rome doesn't have a "duomo", but "duomo di roma" on Wikipedia redirects to Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, which basically kick all your lame small town duomos' asses.

Also I'm totally with the guy shitting upon Milan.
I mean, what kind of place is that?
Last time I went there, it was for work, I had to meet a client for a website. They manufacture artistic mannequins, and have a motherfucking atelier full of motherfucking mannequins on corso Como. The client was from Apulia, and was one of those people always say the wrong English word at the wrong time to impress other people. He brought me to an Apulian restaurant for lunch. It wasn't that good, and I can't remember if he paid for it.
Upstairs there is (was? I'm talking about ~2 years ago) Fabrizio Corona's studio, so outside was full of cougar-like women that might or might not be some kind of VIPs.
It was all so awkward.

Basically, on a scale from "Stephen King's It at 6 years old" to "Lory Del Santo's The Night Club", my last experience in Milan lies exactly in the middle.

Thank god the train pass by Rogoredo, because the sound of that word always makes me laugh.

Sentenza

Just saying:

Rome doesn't have a "duomo", but "duomo di roma"
Duomo is just another word for Cathedral, so Rome has San Pietro, which totally fits the description.

That's just another shitty anecdotal evidence. If possible even worse than the previous one.
I mean, what kind of freaky weirdos did you met? And what made you think they represent the average citizen here?

EDIT
"Lory Del Santo's The Night Club",
Jesus Christ, this is beyond ugly.
It gives to the word "grotesque" a new meaning.

Copons

Duomo is just another world for Cathedral, so Rome has San Pietro, which totally fits the description.

Nope, the cathedral (as in the "church which contains the seat of a bishop") of the city of Rome is actually San Giovanni.

The more I know: San Pietro isn't even the Vatican City cathedral, because that's still part of the Diocese of Rome. And amazingly, San Pietro is NOT the most important church of its religion, because that is, again, San Giovanni, "ecumenical mother church among Roman Catholics".
As the Bishop of Rome is the Pope itself, I guess the fact that most of the high-level catholic stuff goes on in San Pietro instead is just out of sheer convenience. :D

That's just another shitty anecdotal evidence. If possible even worse than the previous one.
I mean, what kind of freaky weirdos did you met? And what made you think they represent the average citizen here?

Uh, I thought it was clear I wasn't serious! :(

Leeness

Enjoying all the history/duomo talk! Super interesting. I want to check them all out, but... :( Rome2016.

Last night in Europe...post-trip depression already setting in...

Rikkun

Just saying:

Rome doesn't have a "duomo", but "duomo di roma" on Wikipedia redirects to Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, which basically kick all your lame small town duomos' asses.

Last time I went there, it was for work, I had to meet a client for a website. They manufacture artistic mannequins, and have a motherfucking atelier full of motherfucking mannequins on corso Como. The client was from Apulia, and was one of those people always say the wrong English word at the wrong time to impress other people. He brought me to an Apulian restaurant for lunch. It wasn't that good, and I can't remember if he paid for it.
Upstairs there is (was? I'm talking about ~2 years ago) Fabrizio Corona's studio, so outside was full of cougar-like women that might or might not be some kind of VIPs.
It was all so awkward.

Basically, on a scale from "Stephen King's It at 6 years old" to "Lory Del Santo's The Night Club", my last experience in Milan lies exactly in the middle.

Thank god the train pass by Rogoredo, because the sound of that word always makes me laugh.
That video.
Uh, I thought it was clear I wasn't serious! :(

Well, that could happen in Milano, lol.

Top Bottom