• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Rikkun

Anybody know of any resources to learn nuorese?
Holy shit good luck with that.
Also, I'm headed to Italia this week. Don't have much time so Florence for 1 day, Rome for 2 days, and Amalfi for 3 days. What are the best things to do along the Amalfi coast?

6167585492_90eb205044_o.jpg

It's Forza. Never been to Campania :p

J2d

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be stuffing myself full at the hotel breakfasts and try to find some cheap place later on from now on.

Copons

Why?

Also, I'm headed to Italia this week. Don't have much time so Florence for 1 day, Rome for 2 days, and Amalfi for 3 days. What are the best things to do along the Amalfi coast?

I'd be more worried of what to do in Rome for only 2 days! :D

But anyway, Amalfi Coast:

1) Amalfi and Positano, the best two towns near the sea
2) Ravello, the most astoundingly beautiful one but it's up-hill

3 and most important) go to Cetara, like every day, and eat at the "Cuopperia del Convento": it's a street food joint, that serves the so-called "cuoppo", a cone of paper filled with fried seafood (mostly Cetara's anchovies, squids and shrimps), or fried other stuff (like croquettes of Cetara's anchovies and buffalo milk mozzarella).

Let me tell you: Cuopperia del Convento's cuoppo is one of the most touching, tear inducing food I've ever had in my entire life. I went there only once and people had to get me out of there by force.

bonus 4) if you're able to get to Salerno or Napoli, there are some of the best places to eat in the entire world:

- Panineria Sant'Andrea (Salerno): extremely good sandwiches + extremely cheap beer (1€ x 1 33cl bottle of whatever they have that night)

- Pasticceria Attanasio (Napoli, near the main train station): the best sfogliatella ever in the world OMG I want one right now please somebody in my veins

- Pizzeria Sorbillo / Del Presidente / Di Matteo (Napoli, all in Via dei Tribunali, I guess all closed on Sundays and August): Sorbillo is arguably the best, but still, all three serve some motherfucking pizza. (I've pointed out just these three because they're in the same street, and kinda near the train station, but there are plenty of others to try in Napoli, so napoletani of the forum don't be mad at me!)

Amalfi! <3

I've been there in 2000 and absolutely loved it!

Of course, it takes only 1 hour and 10 minutes from Roma Termini Station to Napoli Centrale Station.
https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchOutputViewer&cFID=yccLrRJxTJ16
Prices are not fixed, there's promotions (look for the Base Economy fare), even more when you book at the beginning of each month (going as far as paying only 10€ for the fastest train Rome to Milano -and viceversa- which is usually >80€) and you usually pay way less if you book in advance, especially if >1 week.

Then you take a train from Napoli Centrale to Pompeii using the Circumvesuviana train route, there's a train every 30min and it takes roughly 40minutes to get there, costs 4€.

To get back in Rome, the last (high-speed) train from Napoli Centrale is around 7:30 PM and gets you to Stazione Termini by 8:40PM.

All in all, if you find no promotions at all and book at the very last minute, you're going to spend €90 for the whole trip using the Freccia (arrow) train (high-speed train) for Rome>Napoli and back and using the cheapo county train for Napoli>Pompeii and back.

*DON'T LOOK/BOOK a train to get straight to Pompeii leaving from Rome* it's slower and more expensive with a terrible timetable to boot.

The more you know... >_>
Sorry otake, I hope my misinformation didn't inconvenience you

Rikkun

Hey, I have to say, though, now that I've seen the whole speech, that he's not been so bad after all... The Camp David thing by Berlusconi was a pitiful attempt at reciting a very few sentences learnt by heart, while Renzi's bit was a lenghty and mostly intelligible talk, although no one in its right mind could say that's good English.

Will watch carefully when I'm home, but if feels so good to know I speak english better than my Prime Minister. And I'm not that good, some days I can't even say my name.

Martal

Neo Member
Hi guys,
Just wanted to ask 1 more time - Do any of you guys have any podcasts that you like in particular? Doesn't have to about video games, it can really be about anything,

Hi guys,
Just wanted to ask 1 more time - Do any of you guys have any podcasts that you like in particular? Doesn't have to about video games, it can really be about anything,

Do you mean Italian radio programs?

If so, I really fucking love la Zanzara di Giuseppe Cruciani, airing on Radio 24 from 6:30 to 9:00 pm, from Monday through Friday. It's a definitely fizzy talk show about politics, news, and enterteinment. The host has admittedly been inspired by Howard Stern's popularity and way of conducting, but it's not a rip off by any means.

This is really old but it will forever be the best italian political spoof video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ouWrKBR-E

It stutters for a while, but hang in there.

All hail blob

Blob is truly something to be proud of, as Italians and as human beings. I quite frankly believe it's the shiniest spark of genius that's still possible to witness on modern Italian television, even if among a swamp of bullshit.

Palpable

Cool thread. I've visited Italy once. Would love to go back.

I'm half Italian myself. Mothers side of the family is from Tarianova in Calabria (I think that's right) and I visited there about 10 years ago. I wish I picked up on Italian (mainly so I can understand my mom/aunts when they talk to each other about me).

Howdy Italy GAF

I'm planning to study abroad in Italy in about a year. Started learning the language but I really need to submerge myself in it.
Anyone have any recommendations on media I could consume, movies, children's books, tv shows. Any competent translation in videogames or anime.

I have listened to some lovely Italian music by Franco Battiato, fun enjoyable music like Modena City Ramblers.
Would like some recommendations for Classical Folklore music or something old people would hear.

Much obliged.

L'uomo mangia un uovo. Fuck yeah Italian!

Kinokou

Hi guys,

There are a few here for A2/B1 level, they are well suited for learning since you can read the script and in the newer podcasts it can highlight the script so it's easier to follow. They also have some word explanations at the end of the text (in italian) and you can download them as MP3s.

Italian makes up the majority of the podcasts but they also have German, Swiss-German, English, Spanish and French.

Palpable

Howdy Italy GAF

I'm planning to study abroad in Italy in about a year. Started learning the language but I really need to submerge myself in it.
Anyone have any recommendations on media I could consume, movies, children's books, tv shows. Any competent translation in videogames or anime.

I have listened to some lovely Italian music by Franco Battiato, fun enjoyable music like Modena City Ramblers.
Would like some recommendations for Classical Folklore music or something old people would hear.

Much obliged.

Movie: Sacco e Vanzetti if you haven't already seen it. Classic about two Italian anarchists wrongly executed in the U.S. True story, too.

Va bene anche la radio se gli episodi sono scaricabili su qualche sito web.

Sito web non so, ma trovi il podcast su iTunes e un po' tutte le app dedicate.

Io su Android uso BeyondPod e mi trovo benissimo (la versione free ha qualche limitazione, ma è comunque ottima).

Sentenza

Movie: Sacco e Vanzetti if you haven't already seen it. Classic about two Italian anarchists wrongly executed in the U.S. True story, too.
...And since we are in the Volontè-territory already, "Indagine Su Un Cittadino Al DI sopra Di Ogni Sospetto" is a freaking masterpiece.

Rikkun

340706.gif

I baically skip everything that is produced in Italy, so I can't help you. The only things I actually watch in Italian are football matches, so :p

Copons

...And since we are in the Volontè-territory already, "Indagine Su Un Cittadino Al DI sopra Di Ogni Sospetto" is a freaking masterpiece.

Props to that!
That is one of the best movies ever, not only in Italy!

Also, if you're interested in 50s to 70s Italian culture, to better understand how we got where we are now, I'd suggest another couple of movies.

"Un Borghese Piccolo Piccolo" ("An Average Little Man"), about the breakdown of a modest white collar, is one of my favourite movies of all time.

And, on a lighter note, two comedy movies about low class people struggling to survive in Rome during the 50s: "I Soliti Ignoti" ("Big Deal on Madonna Street" or "Persons Unknown") and its sequel "L'Audace Colpo dei Soliti Ignoti" ("Fiasco in Milan" or "Hold-up à la milanaise"). These two, though, both feature several heavy accents from around Italy, and could be very hard to follow. I don't know anything about their English dubs, but I'd give a try with them first.

Akiller

Cool thread. I've visited Italy once. Would love to go back.

I'm half Italian myself. Mothers side of the family is from Tarianova in Calabria (I think that's right) and I visited there about 10 years ago. I wish I picked up on Italian (mainly so I can understand my mom/aunts when they talk to each other about me).

Infinity Patriot half Italian?!That's unexpected

"La guerra è cambiata"

Philippo

Howdy Italy GAF

Much obliged.

Since you're going to study, you'll probably want something to discuss with other young people no?
Music wise i guess you should try something popular today, like Caparezza, Bloody Beetroots and Ministri (altough they suck, but hey you need it to build up knowledge).

For movies, watch The Great Beauty (for which everyone went crazy) and Mediterraneo (together with the rest of the "escape trilogy" from Salvatores). They both won Oscars, so i'm sure there are english subtitles.

Anyway, i'm not good at advices, so the others are free to correct me.

Btw, do you already know where are you going to study?

Also if you can, look out for Aldo Giovanni and Giacomo, some of the funniest present day comedian we've got (even if they let themselves go in these lat years, as much as all the comedian scene).

magiustra

Much obliged.

Fabrizio De André is the greatest: you will learn a lot about Italy (and italian language) listening to his songs. He was able to use a lot of unusual words in his lyrics and, more often than not, you'll find a poetic vibe of sort in his albums. My favourite album is "Storia di un impiegato", a concept album about the italian situation in the '70 (not so different from the here and now, sadly).

You can also listen to Rino Gateano: crazy & sad folk/pop musician that is not really famous but well know in the "indie scene". Search for a "Best Of", if you can.

I'm not really a fan, but there's also a fab female singer that you probably "need" to listen to: Mina. As with Rino Gaetano, a Best Of will be more than enough.

If you want to dig deeper, search also for music from Ciampi, Tenco and Battisti.

And have fun :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out.
Using Rosetta stone and classes at a university to learn Italian. Hopefully I will be competent to have a conversation and not look like I have brain damage since I'm finding the words in my head,

De André, Rino Gaetano, Mina and Elio & Le Storie Tese are all great choices and I second them. For something more lightweight, poppy,and modern, the latest stuff from Cesare Cremonini ain't bad.

Oh, and Lucio Dalla!

Martal

Neo Member
Sito web non so, ma trovi il podcast su iTunes e un po' tutte le app dedicate.

Io su Android uso BeyondPod e mi trovo benissimo (la versione free ha qualche limitazione, ma è comunque ottima).

Grazie! Un'altra domanda a tutti di voi. Lo so che e' Off-Topic pero' e' comunque Neogaf dunque immagino che ogni tanto giocate anche video giochi. Volevo chiedervi :

Sono i giochi che vengono venduti in Italia doppiati in italiano? Se lo sono infatti, forse potete consigliarmi qualche gioco in cui il doppiaggio vi e' particolarmente piaciuto?
Come avete gia' capito, lo scopo e' di migliorare il mio italiano con qualsiasi mezzo!

Martal

Neo Member
Howdy Italy GAF

Much obliged.

I would recommend the Cowboy Bebop italian dub, that was excellent, better than English I'd say. There is also Samurai Champloo (which is on youtube actually), but I can't vouch for that just yet, looking for time to get through it.

Grazie! Un'altra domanda a tutti di voi. Lo so che e' Off-Topic pero' e' comunque Neogaf dunque immagino che ogni tanto giocate anche video giochi. Volevo chiedervi :

Sono i giochi che vengono venduti in Italia doppiati in italiano? Se lo sono infatti, forse potete consigliarmi qualche gioco in cui il doppiaggio vi e' particolarmente piaciuto?
Come avete gia' capito, lo scopo e' di migliorare il mio italiano con qualsiasi mezzo!

Il fatto è che tutti noi che frequentiamo NeoGaf ovviamente conosciamo l'inglese, e nel mondo dei videogiochi se conosci l'inglese è raro che ti limiti ai titolo doppiati o tradotti...

Io, ad esempio, da quando esiste il digital delivery non ho più giocato a niente in lingua italiana.

Sentenza

Il fatto è che tutti noi che frequentiamo NeoGaf ovviamente conosciamo l'inglese, e nel mondo dei videogiochi se conosci l'inglese è raro che ti limiti ai titolo doppiati o tradotti...

Io, ad esempio, da quando esiste il digital delivery non ho più giocato a niente in lingua italiana.
Essenzialmente stesso scenario per me.
In linea di massima, per altro, anche giochi con un adattamento italiano generalmente considerato "molto buono" tendono ad essere in realtà a malapena mediocri, in contrasto agli altri che sono scabrosi.
Prendi Arkham Asylum e Arkham City: mezza Italia a sperticarsi di lodi perché i "doppiatori sono gli stessi dei cartoni e il doppiaggio NON FA SCHIFO STAVOLTA!", ma restano comunque in larga parte performance recitative nettamente inferiori a quelle della controparte americana. Il Joker italiano è decente, Mark Hamill in originale è assolutamente stratosferico.

Comunque, così su due piedi, il gioco con il miglior voice over in italiano che ricordi è probabilmente Grim Fandango.

Martal

Neo Member
Digital delivery capisco perfettamente. Pero' no sapevo che voi avesse una scelta tra un gioco doppiato in italiano ed lo stesso gioco nel inglese originale. Pensavo che ci fosse soltanto quello italiano (Com'e' con il cinema).

Grazie comunque per le raccomandazioni di Grim Fandago e Full Throttle. Cerco di giocarli quando ho accesso ad un computer (a proposito - si puo dire cosi? avere accesso a qc?). Se potete raccomandare qualcosa piu' recente (tipo qc su 360) sarebbe ancora melgio!

UrbanRats

Digital delivery capisco perfettamente. Pero' no sapevo che voi avesse una scelta tra un gioco doppiato in italiano ed lo stesso gioco nel inglese originale. Pensavo che ci fosse soltanto quello italiano (Com'e' con il cinema).

Grazie comunque per le raccomandazioni di Grim Fandago e Full Throttle. Cerco di giocarli quando ho accesso ad un computer (a proposito - si puo dire cosi? avere accesso a qc?). Se potete raccomandare qualcosa piu' recente (tipo qc su 360) sarebbe ancora melgio!

Beh, per i videogiochi, dipende dal gioco, alcuni hanno la scelta del doppio audio (italiano e originale) che spesso viene slezionato automaticamente in base ai settaggi della console (o di quel cesso di GFWL, su PC).
Dunque, ad esempio, siccome la mia 360 è settata in lingua Inglese, ho automaticamente tutti i doppiaggi originali.
Per di più, dato che negli UK i giochi costano meno, la maggiorparte io li prendo da lì.

Per i film è più complicato, perchè al cinema ti devi beccare tutto doppiato per forza, tuttavia in dvd hai l'audio originale (come opzione) il 99% delle volte.

Personalmente come dice Tuco, io evito il doppiaggio Ita in tutti i videogiochi, anche se negli anime preferisco il doppiaggio Italiano a quello Inglese, generalmente (ma anche qui, tendo ad andare con quello originale Giapponese, se c'è la possibilità), quindi concordo con te su Cowboy Bebop, e aggiungerei Ghost in the Shell, il doppiaggio inglese fà un po' pena.
---
Detto questo, mi ricordo che gli Splinter Cell originali (dall'1 al 3, e poi Blacklist) avevano un buon doppiaggio Italiano, con Fisher doppiato da Luca Ward.
Dunque ti consiglio Splinter Cell Blacklist su 360.

EDIT: E sì, si può dire "accesso a.." in quel modo.

UrbanRats

TLOU is not bad, I don't know about anything else, sorry.
Maybe the first Bioshock?

I think all these games have about the same competence in dubbing, it's that they pale in comparison with the source material (LoU especially) but otherwise they're all decent.
Thing is, if you're specifically trying to learn Italian, they are mostly fine, but i wouldn't play them in Italian otherwise.

Copons

Dammit RomaGAF, why didn't you tell me Trevi Fountain would be closed when I got here?

I'm so upset... :'(

I didn't knew it, but if I were you, I'd be way more upset for the ongoing Colosseum restoration (or the one of Fontana della Barcaccia in Piazza di Spagna, too).
All in all Trevi Fountain is nothing more than "yet another iconic place in Rome", but there are plenty of other amazing spots to check out. Colosseum instead is fucking imba! :D

Leeness

I didn't knew it, but if I were you, I'd be way more upset for the ongoing Colosseum restoration (or the one of Fontana della Barcaccia in Piazza di Spagna, too).
All in all Trevi Fountain is nothing more than "yet another iconic place in Rome", but there are plenty of other amazing spots to check out. Colosseum instead is fucking imba! :D

Colosseum is being restored too?!

Oh god please tell me it's not entirely closed too. I would cry.

Copons

Colosseum is being restored too?!

Oh god please tell me it's not entirely closed too. I would cry.

I've passed by it last Sunday and even if I didn't pay enough attention, I'd say that it's like 1/4 covered by scaffoldings, so you should have plenty of stuff to look or take pictures without framing anything bad.

On the bright side, the restored part is glowing!
I was amazed, because I was totally used to see it covered by dirt and smog, and I guess that in 30 years this was the first time I've seen it that clean. :D

EDIT: I'd add that from outside I could see lots of people inside, so I guess if it's in your plans you should be fine.

Top Bottom