• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2004. Are games the way you imagined them...?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
By now I expected to be able to put on a full suit and play Tron Deadly Discs... so no. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science lied to my generation big time. :(

PhatSaqs

Banned
No. Football games are far from perfect still. We're still having some of the same issues with DB AI that we had back in 2000 for instance.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Actually when I was a kid I imagined when I was older I would still be playing games of NES graphics quality? Why? Because I was thinking of the fun I'd be having with new games, not how good they'd look.

Miburou

Well, I expected a big leap between launch titles for current gen consoles and games released this year, which didn't happen.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Actually, when I was a kid, I thought of worlds that looked like cartoon worlds and controlled in 3D... now, looking at games like Dark Cloud 2 and Wind Waker, I could see that that turned into a reality. I just thought it would all happen sooner, and I also thought that there would still be a place for sprite based games :(

Back in 1989 or sometime like that (when i was 5) i imaged all games would be 2D in the future, the words 3D never crossed my mind. All games now would be something like Viewtiful Joe if my thoughts came through.

I remember once when playing one of the Mario game (dont remeber which) and i remeber thinking "i wish i could run in circles around the green pipe" but i also thought that could never work as i never though games could go 3D.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
For the most part, yeah, games are doing a pretty good job of creating worlds/environments that I had imagined a few years ago. It's still a dissapointment in some ways, but still, not bad.

Insertia

I imagined gameplay would evolve drasticlly along with graphics, but for the most part I've been playing the same thing from ~1999 with better graphics and minor gameplay improvements.

Jet Set Radio and Grand Theft Auto 3 are the only exceptions.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sprites were the standard. Polys are now.

That said... Collision detection is just as sh!tty as ever. Was way more refined and prefected in 2D for obvious reasons.

Just last night, I was playing NFL 2K5. I cracked the sh!t out of a Pats WR. Broke his leg. The hit looked brutal. Like always, whenever some ill sh!t happens, we go to the replay, tweak the angles and playback speed for a better idea of what really happened.

Of course the tackle animation isn't going to reflect the nature of the injury, but the game looks so damn realistic that it ought to. This is well within the technical abilities of current consoles, but no dev would ever take the time to add such attention to detail.

Which leads me to believe that devs are no longer held back by hardware (in terms of delivering fresh gaming experiences) but by $$$ and time.

What could these new consoles bring to the table, that's not possible w/ current hardware?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No, they're quite a bit beyond what I had imagined. I mean, at any given time back then, I was usually looking at the best stuff around and considering ways in which they could be enhanced. However, I never imagined that they would come quite this far.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's miraculous from a technical end...

But why are we still using D-pads and buttons?

Alcibiades

the only games that has really have wowed me graphically in terms are Metroid Prime and NFL 2k5...

other than that, it's pretty much improvement on what Dreamcast did.

The N64->Dreamcast jump was the last significant one. BIG DIFFERENCE

but then the Dreamcast -> GCN/XBox

seems like a pretty minor jump (in the big picture), all you have now is refinement for the most part in terms of polygons/models/textures/animations. Games like JSRF and Soul Calibur wouldn't look out of place with today's games, and some 3rd parties are still putting out crappier looking games. The best of the best look good (2k5 is probably the best looking game on XBox), like they've taken a next-gen jump from Dreamcast, but it's totally different from the N64 to Dreamcast jump, where almost every game looked quite a bit better on the Dreamcast and the differences were really noticable.

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
It's miraculous from a technical end...

But why are we still using D-pads and buttons?

Err, but controllers have evolved A LOT. We can do many more things with game controllers now than we ever could before. It just happens to work really well.

beerbelly

Banned
Before Zelda 64 released, I thought the game would look like what the new Zelda GCN would look like (because I thought the prerendered screens from Nintendo Power were real-time). That's how high my expectations were for the 32-64bit days. However, the Xbox has met my expectations for 128bit generation so far.

dark10x

However, the Xbox has met my expectations for 128bit generation so far.

Funny how little bits matter these days, at least from a marketing standpoint. The XBOX uses a 32-bit CPU. The PS2 is the only console to date that actually uses a 128-bit CPU, I believe.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I thought all games would be VR by now.

I'm 26 and I know I'm going to get RSI in the future. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm counting on you, Revolution!

ourumov

I expected a lot more from the GC...To tell you the truth I find that the average game on GC looks pretty poor.

Dark10x:

The term 128bit CPU is a bit misleading....Refering to what ? Instruction size ? Addressable space ? Word ? The SH-4 could work with 128bit data...

http://www.segatech.com/technical/cpu/

From a technical standpoint, I think gaming is on track with what I imagined it would be by 2004.

From a creative standpoint, I think gaming is far from where I expected it to be by 2004, unfortunately.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Graphically, they've begun to fall far short. The advance of visuals through the 80s with the sprite scaling arcade boards and then through the 90s with the Model series of 3D boards really hit the peak of its curve in 1998 when Dreamcast managed to bring home pricey arcade graphics at the pricepoint of a budget console. But since 1996's introduction of Model 3, visual design hasn't really advanced in paradigm significantly the way the changes from scaling sprites to flat-shaded polys to texture mapped polys and finally to texture mapped polys with contemporary IQ effects had done. Quality Model 3 games in the arcade and Dreamcast games in the home aren't out of place today the way PSone graphics were when DC's custom titles launched, despite their respective release gaps to the newer technologies being comparable. Only the top-end PC games of today represent distinctly more advanced visuals with their proliferating usage of shader/lighting effects.

When I was little, I always envisioned a Japanese style mecha game where you had total control, and could swoop around buildings, fighting other flying mechs with swords and missles, etc.

ZOE2 was close, but not perfect.

wazoo

Lazy8s said:
Graphically, they've begun to fall far short. The advance of visuals through the 80s with the sprite scaling arcade boards and then through the 90s with the Model series of 3D boards really hit the peak of its curve in 1998 when Dreamcast managed to bring home pricey arcade graphics at the pricepoint of a budget console. But since 1996's introduction of Model 3, visual design hasn't really advanced in paradigm significantly the way the changes from scaling sprites to flat-shaded polys to texture mapped polys and finally to texture mapped polys with contemporary IQ effects had done. Quality Model 3 games in the arcade and Dreamcast games in the home aren't out of place today the way PSone graphics were when DC's custom titles launched, despite their respective release gaps to the newer technologies being comparable. Only the top-end PC games of today represent distinctly more advanced visuals with their proliferating usage of shader/lighting effects.

You succeed to browse videogame history by only citing SOny once, Nintendo zero and Sega a million times. typical Lazy :lol:

lexy

I wish there were more co-op games =(

...and no including a "battle" mode doesn't count. I want to be able to play the "real" game with another person. Halo was cool and online gaming is making this possibility more likely but it's not quite there yet.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
wazoo:
You succeed to browse videogame history by only citing SOny once, Nintendo zero and Sega a million times.
To examine the advance of the tech curve, the systems which had set the pace along the way were those that had to be highlighted - not because of their association with a brand.

suikodan

For graphics and sound, there is a definite improvement, just playing Doom1-2 and compare it to Doom3 proves it.

However, I think that improvement for gameplay is still a way off. I mean, I can play simpler versions of Zelda and Metal Gear Solid on my GBA with the same gameplay experience seen on the big consoles.

But sometimes, I am a little happy that games still play the same way. I am not too excited about holographic gaming and kicking baddies with my own feet.

Acosta

I expected a lot more from the GC...To tell you the truth I find that the average game on GC looks pretty poor.

The average GC game looks exactly the same that the average PS2, Xbox game.

About the topic...

Certainly, no. I expected more beatiful graphics, actually, I didn´t think about 3D or anything. I just thought that if Final Fight, Super Contra III, Sonic, Neo Geo games... looked great, the next generation would be better.

I thought I would play games with graphics like the ones from anime, so it would have the same quality that seeing them on TV, but with full control of your character.

After this generation and seeing games as Viewtiful Joe, Wind Waker and Ookami, I have faith in the next generation to offer that to me. However, I enjoy the actual graphics.

Tellaerin

Coming out of high school, I imagined that in 20 years' time, games would feature virtual characters that would be able to interact with the player, generating their dialogue and actions based on their personality settings and knowledge of what's going on in the game world. So instead of something with scripted missions like GTA, a game might simulate a large city and the key 'players' in law enforcement, business, and the underworld, and you'd actually get entertaining stories arising spontaneously as the NPC's interact with one another and with the player.

Right now, we're starting to see the beginnings of games like that, in the free-roaming aspects of GTA, the virtual inhabitants of The Sims, and the world of Fable (though sadly, many of the features I was most interested in didn't make the cut.) Still, AI seems to be trailing way behind visuals on the development curve, particularly for console titles, and it's a constant disappointment to me.

Acosta

You must be thinking about multi-platfform games. I wasn't.

The average game of GC is the multi-platform one, like PS2 and Xbox.

First Party, second party, exclusives and so are not average games.

Neo_ZX

Overall in terms of graphics I think it's been moving along pretty well until this last generation. NES -> SNES was a big jump from my point of view. The jump from SNES -> PS2 was also quite drastic. Although it was somewhat of a transition period, DC -> PS2 still wasn't much of a difference. It was almost as if PS2 could just handle a bit more of the similar quality graphics. Xbox/GC although better, hasn't really wowed me either. On the PC side of things, I remember being wowed by Unreal -> UT -> UT2003 -> Doom 3 but by the time the games actually came out, they weren't as nice as they seemed in the magazine previews.

In terms of gameplay, nowadays it's more about crossing genres rather than creating new ones so in that respect it'd been quite dull recently.

OH I almost forgot! ARCADES. God dammit what happened to arcades?! Countless hours of youth were spent in these magical places. Why have companies abandoned the arcades? They used to be 1-2 generations ahead of what was at home and now they're almost extinct. Ahh nostalgia :(

shuri

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Actually when I was a kid I imagined when I was older I would still be playing games of NES graphics quality? Why? Because I was thinking of the fun I'd be having with new games, not how good they'd look.

* cue the violins *

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as a kid i'd assumed that videogames would soon feature elaborate virtual reality displays and motion tracking and feedback mechanisms. i was sure that you'd eventually feel your character's injuries in some way...mild electric shocks or something. i never really gave much thought to graphics.

teepo

i actually use to think how cool it would be if every object in a game casted a shadow as a kid and doom3 did exactly that.

Hotsuma

I thought everything would be at 60fps by now, but that still has not happened. I'm still wondering why some games can't have great graphics and a great story, gameplay, etc.

Gek54

Fell in love with driving games with Sega's Rad Mobile and now I have Sega's Cycraft rig. Its fairly close to what I imagined.

radmobile.jpg

r2c_06.jpg

Now if they could get F355 to run in one of these :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hotsuma said:
I thought everything would be at 60fps by now, but that still has not happened. I'm still wondering why some games can't have great graphics and a great story, gameplay, etc.

Well a great story has nothing to do with technology. You get plenty of movies and even books with bad stories, and that's the entire point of them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I imagined something like Virtuality headsets, but actually good and practical. I didn't think we'd be using old school control methods either.

I may not get my headset anytime soon, but at least I'll have my non uniform input devices with the NDS and Revolution :)

Top Bottom