• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2004. Are games the way you imagined them...?

Hotsuma

Mama Smurf said:
Well a great story has nothing to do with technology. You get plenty of movies and even books with bad stories, and that's the entire point of them.

I understand that. I guess I'm talking about the "gameplay over graphics" excuse. Are we not at the point where games can have great gameplay AND graphics? Take KOTOR 2 for example. Some of the images make the game look the same as the original (which didn't have great graphics to begin with). I won't pass on a game because the graphics, but I would like to see some of the better companies go all out with the games they make.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Interestingly, I never thought about the future having stuff like VR this soon. This may be due to my having read a lot of hard science fiction novels and seeing authors who really knew something about technology demonstrate limitations and how hard it would be to make certain things work.

The main thing I imagined for the future I think was much more interactivity and tied in with that, physics. We're just now getting to a serious focus on physics in game engines. But I expected that we'd have gotten there sooner - basically I expected there to be more focus on advances that benefited gameplay rather than pure flash. When I first saw Powerstone on the Dreamcast, I thought that a new revolution in gameplay mechanics and interactive environments was at hand. Ha! No, more football games that were basically the same, more FPSes that were basically Doom.

I'm dissapointed by a prevading sense of gaming being dumbed down for the masses and to make it "cooler", and the popularity of a few genres pushing so much else out of the way - sports, FPS, etc.

Zelda TWW is actually a pretty good match for how I imagined future games looking visually - I liked games that were more oriented on artwork and fanciful worlds and not grim, gritty "representaltionalism".

One of the biggest fears I had didn't come true, that being FMV games taking over because the general public would see them as more "real" than games that used real-time graphics and traditional character interaction, because they were too dense and inflexible to learn what gaming was really about.

Mason

I think we should make some specific predictions about gaming 2 years from now and come back to it then, like a time capsule.

Mason said:
I think we should make some specific predictions about gaming 2 years from now and come back to it then, like a time capsule.

That's a good idea, worthy of a new thread. Of course someone will have to preserve it and re-post it in 2 years time.

Pachinko

I figured there'd be VR and that regular games by the time I was 20, I knew deep down after seeing my first 3D game that they were only going to get bigger and better looking so I worried at the age of 10 that 2D games would be dead by the time I was old enough to make games for a living.... a dream which I gave up on do to an intense hatred for algebra based mathematics.

N64 blew me away when it came out, I didnt' expect it to get like that so quickly, but lately I haven't been blown away be the way a game looks in quite some time.

Senretsu

richter.jpg

I remember back when killer instinct came out I read an article somewhere in some magazine, saying that games killer instinct-like graphics (i.e. real time cg rendered graphics) was only 3-4 years away.

I also thought Nintendo and Sega would still be duking it out in their respective systems, oh how the world has changed.

the jump from SNES to N64 was huge to me as well, I remember my jaw dropping at the 3d world, but there hasn't been that big of a leap yet.

Dragmire

Wind Waker was beyond what I imagined. It isn't perfect, but it was close... much closer than any other game. To me, it's the first game to really look like hand drawn animation.

As a kid, I wanted to be able to play in a cartoon but I never really believed it to be possible. I was disappointed when I found out that Dragon's Lair only looked like a cartoon because it played scenes as reactions to button presses. Then Day of the Tentacle and subsequently other Lucasarts adventure games gave me very convincing and wonderful cartoon worlds to play in, and I loved them. But the animation was still scripted, in a sense, and therefore did not realize my dream.

When Mario 64 and thus, to me, true 3D came about, I wondered if 3D cartoons were possible. Before cel shading ever came about, I wondered if it were possible to outline polygonal models, keeping the outline on the contour of the model no matter what angle it was viewed at. I figured it was possible, just much too processor intensive for something like N64, and it was the only way games could have interactive cartoon worlds. That's basically what cel-shading did. But even back then I knew that it wouldn't look the same as hand-drawn animation without some complex animation and modeling.

Again I was disappointed when 3D cartoons didn't even look like cartoons, but ugly reality. The animation was almost always poor, and even the models turned me off. I was wowed when I first noticed 3D animation in the late 80's/early 90's, and I wanted it in cartoons, games and movies, but I've since all but lost interest. For me, the plasticity of 3D animation hasn't had the touch of visual beauty that hand-drawn animation can have. I want to see animators sculpt up a believable world (not necessarily the same as realistic) and make it move beautifully. It's possible, and I've seen some nice stuff, but the Shrek's and Toy Story's make the bulk of it and don't do it for me.

The first cel-shaded games like Jet Grind Radio were a big step towards interactive 3D cartoons, but the effect was lost on me. I still saw polygons, models and textures. It took Wind Waker to finally do it for me. It doesn't even use outlines, therefore proving my early outline theory wrong, but the animation and rendering create a believable world that is beautiful to behold.

In the SNES days, I dreamed of a 3D Link to the Past with Mario Kart technology. Obviously that was quite surpassed with Ocarina of Time, and it had its moments. It was a dream fulfilled: 3D Zelda (the cartoon aspect wasn't important to me for the Zelda series, as just having it in 3D was miraculous, and I didn't necessarily see a cartoon when I looked at A Link to the Past). But Wind Waker fulfilled an unexpected dream for me by putting me in a cartoon world with the style of hand drawn animation. That doesn't mean I'd rather have a sequel to Wind Waker with the same visual style... the new Zelda looks gorgeous. But I wouldn't trade Wind Waker for anything. It should be applauded for what it's accomplished even if it's not what a Zelda fan wants from the series.

Now the next step is interactive claymation in videogame form. Pikmin 3, I'm looking at you. Claymation may be a real world tool, but the visual effect of it can be very beautiful and unique. There is so much more to game visuals than mimicking reality. Even realism can be done with many different approaches. What really interests me is the animation and modelling. I haven't mentioned it at all, but lighting has a big effect on the quality of visuals, and Wind Waker did well there, too (nothing exceptional, but definitely appreciable).

As a side note, I dabble in hand/mouse drawn animation, and stop animation (as well as much observation of professional animation). Animation is a fantastic artform, and I think it gets undervalued by developers because of the pursuit of realism.

way more

After Deus Ex I thought the revolution had occured and games would become more interactive and realistic. Since then I haven't really seen much to improve on that.

ourumov

Gaijin To Ronin said:
The average game of GC is the multi-platform one, like PS2 and Xbox.

First Party, second party, exclusives and so are not average games.

I think different...I don't usually consider multi-platfform crap when considering the whole lineup of a system. Therefore, my concept of "average" is different from yours (and probably tons of people).
That said, I expected much more from Ninty/3rd parties dedicated to the system (Capcom is an exception though).

I've always considered display medium and interface to be the two most important areas of development. Despite the move from 2D to 3D, we're still essentially looking at large flat screens.

Interface is something I find a lot more interesting, though. For me, it is the manner in which players connect, communicate and interact with what's being displayed on screen. This is the magic of the whole interactive experience. The better the interface, the more creative it is, the more intuitive it is in allowing us to do more things, the more enjoyable the experience it is. It's what separates, say, Quake 3 from Metroid Prime; for me it's the reason Zone of Enders was so disliked, despite how pretty it was; it's the reason I thrill to new games with funny controllers like Densha De Go, Beatmania, DDR, Samba De Amigo; it's the reason I still occasionally go to the arcades; and it's the reason so many games make me feel as though I'm just doing the same boring thing over and over again, because control pads haven't progressed a great deal since the Nintendo 64.

So even though Nintendo 64 rates about a "meh" on my general scale of favourite consoles, I'd say it represents the most significant change for me.

What would I like for the next generation? New controllers, please :)

SickBoy

If you'd told me in the SNES/Genesis days that games would look as good as they do today without some sort of video technology involved (i.e.: elements of FMV), I don't think I would have believed you... especially if you said they'd be made chiefly in 3D.

-SB

Top Bottom