• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Been Long Enough... EA Needs to Bring Back the "Mutant League" Series

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Why EA has just sat on this hugely popular franchise is beyond me. The last I heard of it was the back of the Mutant League Hockey manual proclaiming the release of Mutant League Basketball.

000001842.jpg

000001843.jpg

000001844.jpg

The games were fun as hell, especially multiplayer.

FightyF

Banned
It always seems to come up every year as I clean out the game shelf...and we always give MLH a go.

Especially after seeing ESPN on Xbox, if a MLF came out and looked as real as that, but has bloodstained fields, great looking mine explosions, perhaps ragdoll physics when a player dies (in a not so rough manner), it would look so sweet.

MLH would look great too, imagine seeing the players underneat the ice floating in 3D :)
The ML universe could be expanded...with alien commentators (a colour commentator that you can't understand so you'd have subtitles underneath), alien crowds that throw gernades onto the ice and perhaps jump onto the ice, stadiums that are actually alive, etc.

I don't expect EA to make it ever again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fight for Freeform said:
It always seems to come up every year as I clean out the game shelf...and we always give MLH a go.

Especially after seeing ESPN on Xbox, if a MLF came out and looked as real as that, but has bloodstained fields, great looking mine explosions, perhaps ragdoll physics when a player dies (in a not so rough manner), it would look so sweet.

MLH would look great too, imagine seeing the players underneat the ice floating in 3D :)
The ML universe could be expanded...with alien commentators (a colour commentator that you can't understand so you'd have subtitles underneath), alien crowds that throw gernades onto the ice and perhaps jump onto the ice, stadiums that are actually alive, etc.

I don't expect EA to make it ever again.

Yeah, since it's been over ten years the possibilities with the series just based on the gargantuan leap in technology alone are staggering. I guess the problem is EA didn't milk it right away and have just forgotten about it, though with the advent of the whole "Big" line, I think they would be able and willing to do crazy Mutant League titles. I'm still puzzled as to why Mutant League Basketball never came out.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
So this was more than just a sprite-replaced Madden clone? News to me.

Mashing

Mutant League Football owned Madden... I used to be a avid player of that game and Madden I loved MLF much more.

Killing the referee owns... I wish I could do that in real life sometimes.

Matlock

Banned
Kind of a funny bit about the creator and lead programmer...Gil Cogate, the programmer behind it all, is now employed by Namco with both Pac-Man Worlds and Dead to Rights under his belt. The creator/lead designer, Michael Mendheim has done quite a bit of work for 3D0...including the (apparently canned) Four Horsemen game.

Nameless

Deathskin Razors 4 Life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'de love to see a Mutant Leauge game handled by EA Big, using a tweaked version of the NFL Street Engine. Or they could also "acradafie" the madden engine either would work.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Crazymoogle said:
So you're saying that Madden 2005 lets you bribe the refs, kill the players, and buy illegal gear?

Wow.

Don't forget kill the refs (when you suspect the other team bribed them), wire the ball with explosives, and use a rocket pack. And Madden players don't have cool names like "Buttneck."

AstroLad said:
Don't forget kill the refs (when you suspect the other team bribed them), wire the ball with explosives, and use a rocket pack. And Madden players don't have cool names like "Buttneck."

*snicker*. Oh man, I forgot about that. Which brings to mind - did anybody ever win a game by points? All I seem to remember were wins by attrition.

DCX

DCX
It would never see the light of day becuase of the ratings systems. Could you imagine how detailed it would be?? The game would earn a mature, if not it will suck ass.

DCX

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DCX said:
It would never see the light of day becuase of the ratings systems. Could you imagine how detailed it would be?? The game would earn a mature, if not it will suck ass.

DCX

And yet seeing at how popular GTA and its ilk are, it would make perfect sense.

DCX

DCX
AstroLad said:
And yet seeing at how popular GTA and its ilk are, it would make perfect sense.
You're missing the point...GTA is mature content but it's not gory. Mutant League fans will demand decapitations, blood flowing, spiked deaths...limbs flying etc...under the guise of a sports game? I think the ratings board would kill the game off...althouhg Mortal Komabt can fly by...i don't know, I'm all for it...just i want it to go through.

DCX

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DCX said:
You're missing the point...GTA is mature content but it's not gory. Mutant League fans will demand decapitations, blood flowing, spiked deaths...limbs flying etc...under the guise of a sports game? I think the ratings board would kill the game off...althouhg Mortal Komabt can fly by...i don't know, I'm all for it...just i want it to go through.

DCX

No, I understood your point completely. There's no need for it to be Goriest. Game. EVAR!!1 or anything. Comical violence is just fine, particularly when it's happening to monsters and skeletons. I don't quite think there would be a big outcry now over a football game where a skeleton shatters to pieces when you tackle him, but maybe that's just me.

FightyF

Banned
Agreed Astrolad.

Y'know the more I think about it, the more I realize that there is so much potential. More I realize it's potential, the more I realize that EA making the game is probably something we don't want. :p Unless they can get some of the original guys behind it.

shit, id be excited for just a compilation disc featuing those two games with some extras... online play perhaps...

i NEED to play MLH right now

DCX

DCX
Defeats the purpose...for that we all just need to play the old ones, we want a new next gen version.

DCX

DCX said:
Defeats the purpose...for that we all just need to play the old ones, we want a new next gen version.

DCX
yea, i know i was kind of off-topic.. i just wanted to stress the fact that id love to play them online. an update for todays consoles would be fantastic, though

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Matlock said:
Kind of a funny bit about the creator and lead programmer...Gil Cogate, the programmer behind it all, is now employed by Namco with both Pac-Man Worlds and Dead to Rights under his belt. The creator/lead designer, Michael Mendheim has done quite a bit of work for 3D0...including the (apparently canned) Four Horsemen game.

wow, what a shitty track record after their mutant franchise.

DCX

DCX
You know if EA took the same approach they take with Madden with Mutant League it would be great!!Sell two sports in one pack. Basketball/Baseball, Football/Hockey..TV presentation, stat tracking, hit stick :) I'm loving it :)

DCX

Top Bottom