• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

ckohler

Mine goes back to the album art when my mouse cursor is no longer hovering over the mini player.

Must be a glitch. I'm on my work computer (Lion). It just stays on the controls even when it looses focus and I switch apps. When it has focus, there's a blue glow around the prev track arrows.

EDIT: Figured it out. I have "Full Keybaord Access" for All Controls in my System Keyboard Preferences. Thus, the keyboard focus was on the prev button. I just selected the mini-player and hit TAB until the search icon was highlighted.

I really hate it.

Lots of good functionality but the design is a mess.

If your monitor is 1680x1050 or any bigger it starts becoming a fugly monster.
Three or four columns of songs is a pain and doesn't look too great and especially clashes if you have shorter length albums in a given artist's discography.

"Two steps forward, one step back" or something.

Expanded view is beautiful.

Well, most of the times :p

inLEaKXtskcXD.png

Oh come on, that color is only a hint on the cover!

Hmmm..... the same album and yet we have different blues.
What does this mean!?

Talon

There's a ton of things about it that are uglier. The new album thing is nice, but that's about it. Font sizes are too big and childish, some things are ridiculously aligned, like the search bar, which is right by the minimize/close buttons (at least on Windows 7), and look at stuff like the album years not aligning with the track times on the Artist view, for example.

It looks like a big mess to me. It's mixing design elements that all come from different versions of the program.

Edit: Also, the program is not simpler at all. It's hiding half the features that were at least viewable before, all behind these new popup buttons. If you don't know the feature exists already, there's nothing to indicate it's there.
Except that whole dropdown menu thing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Something's up with the UI font on this new iTunes. It just doesn't look quite right and slightly different/bolder than anything else I see on the system.

Other than that, it's a massive improvement over the old one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Haven't tried it yet but I've never understood why album art-centric views would ever be more efficient or useful for me trying to find something to listen to. I always assumed they were made for people who had 30 albums tops to listen to.

They still have the traditional list view right? Any improvements to that? How's performance on the PC? (Biggest question)

Talon

Something's up with the UI font on this new iTunes. It just doesn't look quite right and slightly different/bolder than anything else I see on the system.

Other than that, it's a massive improvement over the old one.
The font seems like it's wider horizontally for the song text. Or it just looks like bolded Tahoma.
Haven't tried it yet but I've never understood why album art-centric views would ever be more efficient or useful for me trying to find something to listen to. I always assumed they were made for people who had 30 albums tops to listen to.

They still have the traditional list view right? Any improvements to that? How's performance on the PC? (Biggest question)
It just looks pretty.

Yes, the traditional line-by-line song view is still there. It doesn't seem to choke up as much as the previous version. I'm running a pretty crappy laptop, though.

LCfiner

so far, I like the way playlists slide over so I can drag somgs to them more easily than before. I also like how you can view genius selections in the right click menu.

the up next and "play next" options are good. the search is much improved with the ability to add stuff from the search results to the queue.

I like the novelty of the color matching in album view expansions.

more functionality in mini player mode.

stuff I don't like:

"get info" is still a modal window. bah. makes editing data on songs tougher than if it were a floating palette.

in artists view, you need to go into the view options in the menu (which opens a small window) to change the sorting of albums by that artist by year. I was hoping it'd be easier to switch sorting options. looks like that's for songs view only.

I have a 27" screen but I never use itunes in more than a 1/4 view in the corner of the screen. lokos good like that.

The next few weeks I'll be seeing how the podcast icloud syncing works (if at all...)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The font seems like it's wider horizontally for the song text. Or it just looks like bolded Tahoma.
Even the general UI text looks off somehow. If I go to Summary page for the connected iPhone, all the text there looks somehow wrong.

This is on MBPr, OSX 10.8.2

well its kind of like flipping through a physical record collection

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
well its kind of like flipping through a physical record collection
Cool I guess, but probably equally as inefficient.

I love looking at album art too, but I've yet to find a view that incorporates them into my library without bloating things considerably.

Some albums in album view have two artworks with the tracklists split (always one track in one, then the rest of the tracks in another). All my tags/data on them is exactly the same, but they're showing multiple times. Anybody else got this, or any ideas how to fix it?

I have this problem too, here is my fix:

-highlight all the album's songs
-get info
-delete album name
-OK
-highlight all again
-get info
-reinsert album name
-OK

yeah, it's a pain.

Overall, I'm digging this update (and it SEEMS to have fixed my wireless syncing issues). I do miss being able to have column views for both artists and albums, though. For me it was the perfect blend of form + function.

RDreamer

I love looking at album art too, but I've yet to find a view that incorporates them into my library without bloating things considerably.

I'm an extremely visual person, especially when it comes to albums, so I really need to flip through things visually. Still, I'm not sure how much more 'efficient' you want to be. You can already search by artist or song name or album. What exactly do you want?

LCfiner

This is one thing I hate:

Makes me want to stab my eyes.

Well, most fullscreen apps on big monitors have never looked good to me. I guess if you use everything fullscreen it'll be especially annoying as it's more spartan than the old list view.

but that image looks just about as bad to me as a webpage blown up to fullscreen on a big monitor. too much whitespace on the sides. The only fullscreen view in itunes that doesn't suck is grid/ album view.

itunes has always worked better for me as a more narrow/ vertical app. this new version isn't any different to me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It takes less time to scroll.
And depending on your filter (i.e. Artist) it's much easier to distinguish categories instead of basing it off of highly variable album art.

Also all the relevant info is right next to each other which also helps you distinguish artists, etc.

Talon

This view is about 900000000000000000000 times better than Cover Flow.

Kammie

And there's things that make no sense... like, why can I use Grid View with playlists, but not with the Artist or Genre sections? Was it that difficult to put a button there to change it?

This program is so fucking inconsistent, I get the feeling even the designers were confused when putting it together.

Well, most fullscreen apps on big monitors have never looked good to me. I guess if you use everything fullscreen it'll be especially annoying as it's more spartan than the old list view.

but that image looks just about as bad to me as a webpage blown up to fullscreen on a big monitor. too much whitespace on the sides. The only fullscreen view in itunes that doesn't suck is grid/ album view.

itunes has always worked better for me as a more narrow/ vertical app. this new version isn't any different to me
This is true but I think there is a better way of doing it.

The multiple column view doesn't consistently sort by 5 songs per column or anything, so you're constantly looking for song X.
While it may fill the space horizontally and perhaps looks better visually, it lacks in functionality.

I just wished it'd scale into something that is both prettier and more functional. Bigger album art, perhaps.

SteveWD40

It's actually looking like it belongs on Win8 now, with the top right (min, max, close) actually being uniform.

Seems a bit quicker too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seems like Wi-Fi sync is still very spotty. :/
What problem are you having?

My problem is that my iPhone 4S stops offering itself up as a WiFi syncable device after a while and I have to reboot it in order to get it to show up in iTunes. But I'm pretty sure that's a problem with iOS and not iTunes itself. It's been doing it since iOS 6 came out. Really annoying. I'm not even sure if a restore would fix it.

bananas

Banned
"iTunes 11 - Now with an even uglier icon"

At least it's consistent with the Mac App Store icon now.

Still waiting until they update the icon so it's purple instead of blue, like on iOS. They're going to do it eventually. App Store = blue, iTunes = purple.

DMeisterJ

Banned

My problem is that my iPhone 4S stops offering itself up as a WiFi syncable device after a while and I have to reboot it in order to get it to show up in iTunes. But I'm pretty sure that's a problem with iOS and not iTunes itself. It's been doing it since iOS 6 came out. Really annoying. I'm not even sure if a restore would fix it.

Oh, it's a iOS6 issue? It's just that it's pretty random whether iTunes or the iPhone notices that they're on the same network. If I reboot either, usually it works.

Since iTunes Match syncs your library (and not just your songs), you might try something like this:

1) Turn off iTunes Match
2) Start a new iTunes library by holding shift while double-clicking the iTunes icon on the desktop and choosing "Create library" when prompted.
3) Sign back into iTunes Match

It should download your playlists and whatnot and give you access to your music.

I too am having issues with Match-for some reason not all my music is showing up on Match-but it's all there on my home machine.

KtSlime

11 things I still hate about iTunes:

1) Multilingual support is still crap. While they improved the fonts, simple things such as being able to know that when I type nishino kana, or にしのかな, or ニシノカナ, or any other phonetic method it should know that I mean for it to show me 西野カナ. Even Google/YouTube gets this right.

2) Get Info dialog has not been changed in like 7 years. It still is poorly laid out, and still makes me fight with it guessing what I am typing rather than what I am typing when editing tags.

3) Still has cruft from Mac OS 9 and it shows. Carbon is slow and clunky, and elements of it still leak through to this day.

4) It does not save state when quitting. It should at least keep my queue in tact, but it can't even get that right.

5) Podcast syncing is not working as promised, my iTunes podcast listing shows up as empty.

6) Mini Player is greatly improved, but click throughs sometimes aren't recognized and no keep on top mode in menu. If out of room at the bottom of screen should put search results and up next on top of player rather than move the body of the player.

7) Extra features such as radio and apps view still poorly done, ugly, and slow.

8) Non english ordering of titles/artists still not phonetically sorted.

9) Editing artist information bumps you from where you are to the top of the library.

10) No notification center support.

11) In making the icon more like the AppStore icon they made it's shading/color differences even more apparent.

All in all it is a step forward in the right direction, but it was lacking a lot of improvements I expected them to make for the past 5 years and improvements that I continually send recommendations to Apple to make.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh, it's a iOS6 issue? It's just that it's pretty random whether iTunes or the iPhone notices that they're on the same network. If I reboot either, usually it works.
I dunno. I assumed it was iOS6 because my iPad worked fine 100% all the time. I blamed it on a faulty iPhone install.

1. I love how it generates playlist colors based on album artwork
2. It is still buggy when you try to remove album art and insert new one
3. The icon is horrendous
4. Still doesn't really look or feel that right on a Retina MBPro.
5. It would be great to have Notification support for podcasts.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
11 things I still hate about iTunes:

10) No notification center support.
What do you need it for?

11) In making the icon more like the AppStore icon they made it's shading/color differences even more apparent.
It's obvious this is the way the icons are moving. The Remote app icon on iOS has an update available today that looks the same. The App Store icon will surely be changed to follow suit with 10.8.3 or 10.9.

4. Still doesn't really look or feel that right on a Retina MBPro.
What does it look like? Screenshot?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

It's been so terrible since the day it was introduced that I consider it a small miracle if my iphone ever syncs completely successful through it. It hasn't changed with 11 either. It got stuck forever copying Bastion from Iphone to computer.

Hold on... why can't I browse artists as folders anymore? Do I really need to use the big damn scroll list?

This is a bit tablet-ified for my taste so far.

zychi

Banned
so i have this issue on itunes 10 where itunes match will automatically start and freeze the shit out of my computer. i'm on windows.

has anyone tried itunes match on 11 yet? is this new version not as bloated or memory hogging as 10?

KtSlime

What do you need it for?

It's obvious this is the way the icons are moving. The Remote app icon on iOS has an update available today that looks the same. The App Store icon will surely be changed to follow suit with 10.8.3 or 10.9.

I don't mind the icon, I just can't have the AppStore icon and iTunes icon next to each other because one looks like a knock off of the other, it's like uncanny valley or something.

And I don't really need Notification Center support, it was low on my list of complaints, but it would have been nice for it to pop up a Banner to announce song changes. It does have a black bubble that does show up in the mini player, but that does nothing for me since I spend most of my time in full screen mode Safari.

DarkFlow

Banned
so i have this issue on itunes 10 where itunes match will automatically start and freeze the shit out of my computer. i'm on windows.

has anyone tried itunes match on 11 yet? is this new version not as bloated or memory hogging as 10?

it's using 93,916 K of memory right now.

Top Bottom