• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just realized it grabs two colors for the extended view, one for the background the other for the track info
Oh shit, so it automatically makes a theme from the colours of the album art. I assumed it would only work when the music had been downloaded from iTunes.
It picks three colors. One for background and two for text. It makes sure the background contrasts to the text so you can read it. It bases it on the best most dominant color palette it can use. Really nice.

Thank you.. that did it. Would have never done that within the App store. Appreciate it!
Software Update is gone in 10.8. App Store is where all updating is done. When you use the Apple Menu it opens App Store. If you ever want to check for updates, open App Store and click Updates. When updates are available it will badge the icon and give you a notification.

Talon

Might be a dumb question but is it possible to update to iTunes 11 through iTunes itself or do I have to download it from apple.com? iTunes for me says 10.7 is the most recent version and won't update.
If you're on Mac:
Apple Logo -> Software Update

If you're on Windows:
Start -> All Programs -> Apple Software Update

If you're on Windows 8:
I can't help you.

Cudder

Might be a dumb question but is it possible to update to iTunes 11 through iTunes itself or do I have to download it from apple.com? iTunes for me says 10.7 is the most recent version and won't update.

I had to check for updates for the system (Mac)

MattDoza

I just downloaded it from apple.com. I was worried it would make me re-add my music and recognize it as a fresh install. It didn't. Pretty much works the same as updating through iTunes.

is there a way to organize by Artist and year in the "Artists" view? i can't seem to find it and I swore by it in the previous iTunes...

Enco

V2pyH.png

Joining the club with picture posting.

Dug

Banned
If you're on Mac:
Apple Logo -> Software Update

If you're on Windows:
Start -> All Programs -> Apple Software Update

If you're on Windows 8:
I can't help you.
Thank you. I'm on Windows 8 but all I had to do was search through my apps to find it.

GG-Duo

Can anyone verify that the color sampling is done on the album art, and not the way it looks in the iTunes store?

I'm sure the background color is from the album art, but I'm not so sure about the text color.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The new album thing doesn't really look all that great. The spacing is off, and the fading on some album art looks amateurish.

Try Apple Software Update on Windows.

If you're on Windows 8:
I can't help you.
Just press the Start key, and Search for Apple.

Ashhong

Can anyone verify that the color sampling is done on the album art, and not the way it looks in the iTunes store?

I'm sure the background color is from the album art, but I'm not so sure about the text color.

I have songs not on the store with album art and it does in fact use text color to match the artwork.

How do I get rid of this? I'm in album view, so you'd think they'd consolidate albums like these, but they still end up separated because of the features..

You can either select all the songs of an album to have 1 unified "Album Artist" or click the box that says part of a compilation

Bandicoot

How do I get rid of this? I'm in album view, so you'd think they'd consolidate albums like these, but they still end up separated because of the features..

That seems like a tagging issue tbh. You can merge them by making sure the tagged as the same Album Artist. I think Compilation might work too.

Why can't we make album covers bigger in album view?

Why can't we have artist view similar to album view aka how it was in iT10?

Ohwiseone

I used to always sort by album.

But I LOVE this new album view, expect for the few I don't have covers for.

The colors they pick are perfect.

see5harp

Tagging issue. I put the artist feature in the song title, but if you really want to be anal and do it your way, make sure you have a single artist under "album artist."

Really excited about the new album views, especially because I am anal when it comes to grabbing art. The CBR viewers on desktop and iPad have been doing a similar thing for the edges as well and I always thought that was clever.

Bandicoot

I would love a way to see the albums view integrated into the artist view. You totally miss it if you stay in the artist view (which I imagine most people do).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I only have one problem, and it's not really a problem, but a handful of the songs I purchased back in the day have somehow disconnected themselves from the file on my computer. So I end up with two entries for each one. One that is local and one that says it's in the cloud. But it's only a few songs. Like maybe 2 dozen.

Also, still sad they still require you to have all your iOS apps on your computer as well. Just let us remove them from the computer and manage them from the devices!

ckohler

Sometimes the text of the current track appears in the mini-player and when you hover over it the controls appear. However, once I've interacted with the mini-player it seems the control stay. Anyone figured out a way to get the track info to re-appear where the controls are?

Cudder

Change the album artist to be the same for all of them and it should fix it

I have songs not on the store with album art and it does in fact use text color to match the artwork.

You can either select all the songs of an album to have 1 unified "Album Artist" or click the box that says part of a compilation

That seems like a tagging issue tbh. You can merge them by making sure the tagged as the same Album Artist. I think Compilation might work too.

Appreciated, got it.

Bandicoot

Also, still sad they still require you to have all your iOS apps on your computer as well. Just let us remove them from the computer and manage them from the devices!

You can fix that buy turning off App Syncing. Now you can just manage everything on your device. They added an option in 10 to not delete apps when you turn off the syncing.

ckohler

That's happening because each track has a different artist (yeah, they are all Kanye but the names appear different).

The right way to fix this is select all of these tracks from the same album (CTRL/Command single-click each track so that it highlights witha blue border). Then right-click one of them and select "Get Info". Then go to the "Options" tab and check "Part of a Compilation". That'll make them all part of the same album with mutliple artists. The album's artist will then automatically become "Various Artists".

Kareha

I only want art if it's uniform and good quality. Just use iTunes to grab the art and then manually embed and rip using an ID3 tagger. iTunes is always a 600x600 jpeg.

This pulls artwork from the iTunes Store as well as various other sources.

Some albums in album view have two artworks with the tracklists split (always one track in one, then the rest of the tracks in another). All my tags/data on them is exactly the same, but they're showing multiple times. Anybody else got this, or any ideas how to fix it?

gblues

Banned
Ugh.. This update seems to have broken iTunes Match for me. I only see local music in my library, no matter how many times I let this screen finish up:

Any thoughts?

Since iTunes Match syncs your library (and not just your songs), you might try something like this:

1) Turn off iTunes Match
2) Start a new iTunes library by holding shift while double-clicking the iTunes icon on the desktop and choosing "Create library" when prompted.
3) Sign back into iTunes Match

It should download your playlists and whatnot and give you access to your music.

Cudder

Sometimes the text of the current track appears in the mini-player and when you hover over it the controls appear. However, once I've interacted with the mini-player it seems the control stay. Anyone figured out a way to get the track info to re-appear where the controls are?

Mine goes back to the album art when my mouse cursor is no longer hovering over the mini player.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aw man, they changed the sidebar minimum width limit to 200 pixels. So much wasted empty space. I like compressing my sidebars so I get more room for content.

Tiny complaint.

Kammie

"iTunes 11 - Now with an even uglier icon"
There's a ton of things about it that are uglier. The new album thing is nice, but that's about it. Font sizes are too big and childish, some things are ridiculously aligned, like the search bar, which is right by the minimize/close buttons (at least on Windows 7), and look at stuff like the album years not aligning with the track times on the Artist view, for example (edit: about this one, now they look fine. I think the program is just glitchy still, I've had a few weird things happen).

It looks like a big mess to me. It's mixing design elements that all come from different versions of the program.

Edit: Also, the program is not simpler at all. It's hiding half the features that were at least viewable before, all behind these new popup buttons. If you don't know the feature exists already, there's nothing to indicate it's there.

Top Bottom