• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

show me the receipts!

107.02GB of music, every album with album art, Windows 7, 337MB of memory used. what do you have that would push it to 500MB?

Lucky you're not on a Mac.....

bydefault2012-11-29at232401.jpg

First time it's been below 600MB since updating.

LCfiner

oh okay. I was worried for a moment. Still 422 is high. idk.

906 MB on iMac (12 GB RAM installed). It's been running for 3 hours. runs smooth. system is smooth. similar to itunes 10, really

Unless we're all sporting 2Gb in our machines (sorry old Macbook Air users) the RAM usage shouldn't be a worry. It'll use the free RAM available in the system to do what it has to do.

Although I'm wondering if mine is using more than some others because I'm on itunes match with over 15K tracks?

see5harp

Yup and if you have a mixed artist album for example then you could add the individual artist of each song to the "artist" tag and then select all and change the "album artist" to something like "various artists" or whatever you like and that would get them all lumped together. Works as it should.

This should work for that poster who was having trouble with the Drive soundtrack which has cliff martinez and a bunch of other artists as well.

Oh hell no for actual compilations and soundtracks use the compilation check box. For single artist albums with features use album artist. Step your tag game up.

Cudder

I found an App Store gift card in my room the other day, is there any way to check the balance without redeeming it? I'd like to sell it if it still has the 50$ on it.

You know some pretty trustworthy people if they would buy a second hand gift card.

Oppo

This thread reminds me simultaneously of all the things I both love and hate about doing interface design.

fireside

906 MB on iMac (12 GB RAM installed). It's been running for 3 hours. runs smooth. system is smooth. similar to itunes 10, really

Unless we're all sporting 2Gb in our machines (sorry old Macbook Air users) the RAM usage shouldn't be a worry. It'll use the free RAM available in the system to do what it has to do.

Although I'm wondering if mine is using more than some others because I'm on itunes match with over 15K tracks?

I only have 2 GB of RAM, and iTunes usage is at 144 MB.

I miss iTunes 9 ;_; (not for RAM usage reasons)

DarkFlow

Banned
Mac or Windows? Yeah, I think I will just Winamp on Windows. That basically does the same stuff as iTunes, yet uses 1/3 the resources.
Windows. Pretty much the same bloat as before. Everyone is impressed with the fancy graphics of the artwork, but apple really did jack shit as far as performance goes. I really wonder what they did for that extra month if this is the end result.

waypoetic

Banned
So, wait...

When i'm on "albums" i get the coverarts for all the albums from left to right. But when i'm in "artists" i get a completely different layout : a scroll-list to the left and artist + albums on the right on a scroll-list-type-o'-thing. Why isn't it the same as the album layout? Can i change it?

giga

Tip 1: Go to View -> View Options (CMD+J) to access some useful preferences.

I use artist view (it has the best balance for information density, imo), so when I go to that preference, I can adjust how albums are sorted or what size the artwork will be.

gtiE+

Smallest:

zgie+

Largest:

yTFg+

-----------

Tip 2: And if you miss clicking on the artwork that used to be on the bottom left, you can still click the art in the top LCD pane to bring up the full size art.

8co2+

------------

Tip 3: To quickly add items to play next, drag and drop it to the top LCD pane. It'll outline in blue.

YZis+

derExperte

What a cluttered mess, 10 wasn't very good but if this is the best they can do nowadays I guess it's for the best iOS keeps being stuck in 2007. The 'hot' new album view looks kitschy as all hell until you turn off the background color, everything takes up more space, certain actions more clicks and options are more hidden and strewn over the place than ever. Some additions are interesting but overall, I don't know..

kaskade

I'm thinking of trying out iTunes match to keep the Library synced better between my Macbook and desktop. Did they ever fix that issue with replacing explicit songs with clean ones?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Tip 1: Go to View -> View Options (CMD+J) to access some useful preferences.

I use artist view (it has the best balance for information density, imo), so when I go to that preference, I can adjust how albums are sorted or what size the artwork will be.
My biggest problem is that the album art size can't be changed in album view. They're a bit too small for my liking.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My biggest problem is that the album art size can't be changed in album view. They're a bit too small for my liking.

Funny, I'm on a laptop so I'd like it to be smaller. There only seems to be two sizes available by adjusting the window size. Silly Apple. I see iTune 11.1 coming rather quickly.

jts

...hate me...
Dunno if posted yet, but the awesomeness also arrived to the iPad remote.

cW4ms.jpg

Complete with queue functionality etc.

Now bring it to the music player!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Expanded view should have a column break for each disc. I understand that they're trying to save space, but it's unintuitive and it looks lazy.

Funny, I'm on a laptop so I'd like it to be smaller. There only seems to be two sizes available by adjusting the window size. Silly Apple. I see iTune 11.1 coming rather quickly.
I'm on a laptop too, but I like my giant album art. Regardless, it's ridiculous that the size is set.

Enco

What a cluttered mess, 10 wasn't very good but if this is the best they can do nowadays I guess it's for the best iOS keeps being stuck in 2007. The 'hot' new album view looks kitschy as all hell until you turn off the background color, everything takes up more space, certain actions more clicks and options are more hidden and strewn over the place than ever. Some additions are interesting but overall, I don't know..
Eh?

It looks nicer, is more simple to navigate and seems snappier. I don't get the complaints.

Not seeing the cluttered. Quite the opposite.

giga

You guys and your huge album art -- I'll never understand. Last thing I need is big album art clogging precious pixel space when it could be showing more songs instead.

Mobius 1

If you click in the album artwork on the Miniplayer...

You get an independent, full featured Album Miniplayer, complete with playback controls and also resizable. Neat!

Kammie

It's annoying not being able to see artwork for something you're not listening to, too. They've made some odd choices.

Honey Bunny

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
You guys and your huge album art -- I'll never understand. Last thing I need is big album art clogging precious pixel space when it could be showing more songs instead.

I either play an entire album or set it on random and forget it.

If I feel like I'm having to scroll so much through the list, I can use the artist pane instead.

The art is pretty. The layout is pretty. And it has a functional alternative if I need it.

Kammie

You get an independent, full featured Album Miniplayer, complete with playback controls and also resizable. Neat!

That means we can have three separate play controls! It's awesome for those with triple monitor setups.

What crappy design. ;)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
http://i.minus.com/jS19MPLwHLPah.png

http://i.minus.com/j60CAi5EOXQQt.png
+ it automatically switches the view to the current song even if it's from a different album, which doesn't happen on any of the views that aren't the song/list one. Looks like I'm going to be settling on the miniplayer since it has all the functionality I usually need during my normal music listening usage.

That means we can have three separate play controls! It's awesome for those with triple monitor setups.

What crappy design. ;)
Well the controls stay invisible unless you click on it, so you can pretend it's just the album art!

see5harp

What crappy design. ;)

Nah not at all...you could have iTunes minimized with it on random and the album art just floating on your desktop. It was more functional than just opening the jpeg to full size in a window just to stare at, at least.

giga

I think this is a bug. In the miniplayer, this view should be the default. But it only shows when the hamburger (or search) icon has focus.

CrB7+

Switching to the miniplayer has the previous icon focused by default, so it doesn't show the song data until you make the hamburger icon focused.

sd4l+

Solo

I like it, but how can I see my number of plays without having to switch to "songs" (I usually go by "albums")?

giga

Another quick way to add items to the play next queue. Hold down option/alt and a plus sign will appear.

f4fR+

Kjellson

I'm not a fan tbh. They removed a lot of the things I liked with the previous version.

- Having an overview of your artists. Know you only have a shitty menu to the right with small cover arts.
- Cover art to the left. Why did they remove this?
- See year, genre, writer etc. and sort songs by categories. Again, why did they remove this? Really stupid.

The cover part is cool, but I would have preferred it if I could go to an artist's page and then click on the album. I don't like it when all the albums are on the same page.

pilonv1

Does it only automatically go to the current song in songs/list view or am I missing something? What I mean is:

QCy8f.png

M1A1 from Laika Come Home just played, but when it switches to "Under My Thumb" (the next one in the queue) the display below doesn't auto-change to the corresponding song. It seems like only in list view it's behaving like it should.

I want to stay in album art mode but it's gonna suck if it's going to stay frozen in a previous album when it's already playing a song from another one in the shuffle unless I manually press cmd+L.

This annoys me too. I usually only listen on random, and the album view never changes, only on Songs.

Top Bottom