• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

iZVkf.png

Winner.

Edit: Any way to make the background black when displaying all my albums?

Kammie

But the rating system is a better option for that. Especially since you have so much good music that you might listen to once or twice that can get buried whenever you sort by play count. And ratings give you the option to push the songs down and listen to them less whenever you tire of them. A high play count can keep an overheard song at the top until you have another song that overtakes it.

It's might be difficult to take three seconds to rate a song whenever you like or start to dislike it, but it gives you more control over what you want to listen to.
I have only one type of rating: 5 stars. And I have one song out of 21K that I gave one star, it's probably the only song I've ever actually hated. lol.

For me, music is subjective depending on my mood. Rating something 3 stars won't mean anything if two months down the line I'll wonder why I didn't rate it 4, and change it. I don't want to get into that whole business. Also, I generally listen to a new album around 10 times or so, and during that time there will undoubtedly be some songs that will go above that 10. That's what I'll then usually listen to whenever I get the urge to listen to a specific artist.

Works for me, doesn't have to be anyone else's system. :)

ascii42

I like playcount in theory. However, I listen to CDs too much for it to really be accurate. When I do listen on my iPod, I usually skip to the next song during the fadeout. I rarely listen to music on my computer. It would be nice if my old stereo had some sort of input. I could upgrade, but I've grown attached to the thing.

dwebo

home sharing video still uses waaaaay too much cpu. it may even be worse now, since the one video I tried only played the audio

guess they didn't overhaul that part of the code very much (if at all)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I have only one type of rating: 5 stars. And I have one song out of 21K that I gave one star, it's probably the only song I've ever actually hated. lol.

For me, music is subjective depending on my mood. Rating something 3 stars won't mean anything if two months down the line I'll wonder why I didn't rate it 4, and change it. I don't want to get into that whole business. Also, I generally listen to a new album around 10 times or so, and during that time there will undoubtedly be some songs that will go above that 10. That's what I'll then usually listen to whenever I get the urge to listen to a specific artist.

Works for me, doesn't have to be anyone else's system. :)

But if it's subjective, why do you still use the counts? It's an arbitrary set of numbers that don't mean anything until you sort them. And even then, while perhaps they are a sort of representation of what you listen to the most, they don't accurately represent the music you like overall.

Hell, keep it simple. Rate songs you want to listen to at a 5 and songs you tire of at a 1. Even that is a better sampling than what you're doing now.

But yeah. I guess if that works for you, stick with it. ^_^

Ah, they put a feedback link in the iTunes menu. Just sent some feedback. While I was at it, I sent some complaints about my iPhone and OS X too.

Feedback, people. Use it.

Only gripe is that I haven't found a way to show extra song details in expanded view. Things like bitrate and playcount should be there!

Kammie

But if it's subjective, why do you still use the counts? It's an arbitrary set of numbers that don't mean anything until you sort them. And even then, while perhaps they are a sort of representation of what you listen to the most, they don't accurately represent the music you like overall.

Hell, keep it simple. Rate songs you want to listen to at a 5 and songs you tire of at a 1. Even that is a better sampling than what you're doing now.

But yeah. I guess if that works for you, stick with it. ^_^
How can the counts not represent the music I like? If the songs I like most are the ones that eventually rack up the counts!

Rating a song a 1 is a senseless endeavor for me. I don't dislike music I own, and I don't tire of it. Besides, I have 56 days' worth of music. Say I rate 200 songs 1 star if I tire of them. And I decide to do the rest of my library. That means it will take me about 2 years to be able to listen to everything else and rate it, if I don't listen to anything twice, and with my average number of daily plays. By the end of that, those 1 stars won't mean squat.

It can work, but just not in my case.

Crazy person on FB said "Thinks iTunes 11 is Apple's version of Windows 8."

He was in short order ridiculed by an ever-growing percentage of his friends. I guess an attention seeking post gets attention. ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why should the mini player take up so much space anyway? You show the album art and the song/artist name.. no need to have a chunky solid gray bar to display that. I know it's optional, but I expect them to put more thought into it and try to do something that has been done before, and better, by third party players. Going all the way back to Audion on OS9.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The miniplayer is smaller than it used to be.

see5harp

Okay now that I've used it, I can honestly say this shit sucks. My library is WAAAAAAAAAAY too big for this to be decent.

EDIT: Okay at least you can basically revert back to text only by going to 'song." I'll adapt.

Only gripe is that I haven't found a way to show extra song details in expanded view. Things like bitrate and playcount should be there!

I was wondering about that as well. I also wish that they would create a "on tour" link on the local artist/album screen instead of making you load the entire store to find out. I'd much rather have that information than some random photos...

Other than that I love the new version. it runs great on my system, and is much more pleasant to use...

see5harp

Is there no way to copy paste the artwork anymore to embed the artwork? I'm a little lost without the cover art in the corner.

RDreamer

KvP4f.png

2 hours now.. why is Apple so bad at this.

Match is such an unruly unreliable hunk of crap with this sort of stuff. I really love using the service after the fact, but putting music on it has been a complete crapshoot. I've had so many times where I had to wait a day to put a new album on Match, because it just refused to finish.

mrkgoo

Seems to me, much of the cleaning up meant getting rid of cluttering options. Options that I'm sure a lot of people probably used.

As with all updates, since apple often like to make big changes sometimes, you'll get people who hate it and people who like it. I'm generally of the type to just try and find a way to adapt or just enjoy it. Works out much happier :)

I liked the colourless icons, but it's not a big deal to me really. I like the sidebar too, but I will give it a go without for a while to see if I like it.

see5harp

Right Click > Get Info, paste the album art in there

No, what I really mean is there no way to actually steal their artwork. Like actually grab the jpeg. You used to be able to copy the artwork in the corner, paste right on top of it to actually embed the artwork into the mp3.

Ashhong

Is there anyway to select all the songs that are missing from my computer but present in the Library? One of my biggest problems when organizing my music.

Kammie

No, what I really mean is there no way to actually steal their artwork. Like actually grab the jpeg. You used to be able to copy the artwork in the corner, paste right on top of it to actually embed the artwork into the mp3.
It's right in the Get Info Artwork tab, you can copy the artwork that shows up in there by right-clicking it. (Make sure you get the info for just ONE song, not the whole album.)

You also have this, though they're kind of compressed: http://www.covermytunes.com/

see5harp

It's right in the Get Info Artwork tab, you can copy the artwork that shows up in there by right-clicking it. (Make sure you get the info for just ONE song, not the whole album.)

You also have this, though they're kind of compressed: http://www.covermytunes.com/

OOOOOOOO. I always get info for the entire album. Without the artwork pane that is a little bit of a hassle, but it isn't too bad. Thanks.

Jubern

It looks nice but I have some problems with it:
- For some reason, the apps I updated from my iPhone won't transfer to the library, if I need to download them again on the computer, which brings me to the next point :
- Every time a download finished, iTunes feels the needs to jump at the front of the desktop, wtf.

The second isn't that important, but the first is strange and shouldn't be happening. I hope it'll go back to how it used to be.

Ashhong

Huh, I had no idea that you had to copy and repaste the artwork in order to embed it into the file. I thought having iTunes get the album art was enough. Good to know

It's not bad, not great. The downloading popup window is fucked. Every time a download finishes it pushes focus back to the iTunes window. That's just dumb, and kills any chance you have of arranging/canceling downloads on the fly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know what, I kinda like this new iTunes. Album and Artist predef. filters are pretty good.

And yeah that album view is some sexy shit. But it's hit or miss and really only works for albums with fairly homogenous-coloured edges

Majine

Banned
Why is scrolling with a mouse through the albumview so goddamn slow? I switch to songview or Google Chrome and it's like being on ice.

Two questions.

1. How do you guys get to see the albums like that? Where it goes with the colors from the artwork.

Nvm its a single click

2. I usually just stay on a recently played playlist, I always had it as an Artist List with it showing the artwork also. I can do it with this update, but the artworks are so big not that many names are on the screen. Can I make the artwork smaller?

3. When on the albums tab, is it possible to make it a list. Instead of being all tiles?

subrock

I apologize if this has been asked but is there a way to sort just by album and not album by artist. I've got a group of tracks all with the same album name but different artists but there is no button I can find that will group them together (besides making a playlist). The album isnt showing up in compilations.

edit: found it. "sort album" column allows it to happen the old way

Top Bottom