• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

Hate getting rid of the preview/info button for items in the store. I liked being able to preview music or see rating without going to the page.

mrkgoo

Hate:
What, my "back" gesture in the itunes store is gone! Bah.
Podcast info description runs off the right.
App pane of an iDevice now has buttons instead of checkbox - this is much harder to see what apps you have installed vs not. Not sure what the "update" button does - will it go and download the app, or just update that one app onto itunes? or on the device? full sync?
The colour bar graph showing usage is now labelled OVER the bar - fine, but if you bar is small, it doesn't say what it is (unless rolling over). I much prefer seeing the amounts listed.

Eh, just different:
New download window. Not as informative as in the sidebar.

Like:
I do like some new control buttons dotted above some views.
And the refresh and check for updated apps are now buttons instead of triangles is a nice change.
Being able to play previews while navigating the store is cool.

I think overall there are more annoying things than there are added features. I will likely adapt, but there's just less glanceable info. It's a shame it looks and feels nice, but a reasonable amount of functionality seems removed for not much gain. NOthing perhaps deal breaking, though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
god i love itunes

i'd get the name tattoo'd on my body if it wasn't such a horrible idea in practice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anybody help me out with something? Sort-of iTunes related.

Basically I download all of my music into one folder, and when I add stuff to my library, I add that entire folder. Problem is, every time I add it, it adds along a bunch of playlists that came with the individual mixtape/album downladas that I just end up deleting every time. Is there any way I can delete all of these without deleting all the custom playlists I've created?

BTW this same folder is managed/organized by iTunes.

CRS

Can anybody help me out with something? Sort-of iTunes related.

Basically I download all of my music into one folder, and when I add stuff to my library, I add that entire folder. Problem is, every time I add it, it adds along a bunch of playlists that came with the individual mixtape/album downladas that I just end up deleting every time. Is there any way I can delete all of these without deleting all the custom playlists I've created?

BTW this same folder is managed/organized by iTunes.

Do the folders/albums have a .m3u file? Check if it does and delete it when importing it to iTunes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do the folders/albums have a .m3u file? Check if it does and delete it when importing it to iTunes.
Could check, but is there any way I can do this without going into each of those tens and tens and tens of folders? Was kinda avoiding doing that to find another way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The black text is a bit hard on the eyes when it's on a bright background like that.
Ugly ones are not nice on the eyes for reading.

Bad ain't so bad.
Yeah, on second look the black on red and blue does seem hard to read. If only those albums had more white in their covers...
i9dqpADqf0V9y.png

ibz5fUxHbMbpbc.png
I like that it's picking the secondary text color from the skin tones.

GG-Duo

I am so glad they got rid of Cover Flow. I have never found that useful. If you want to scroll through stuff, it's much easier to look at your albums in a grid.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am so glad they got rid of Cover Flow. I have never found that useful. If you want to scroll through stuff, it's much easier to look at your albums in a grid.
It was eye candy, that's all it is and all it ever was. I frankly never understood why Apple needed to purchase it from the developer except to show off their newfangled Core Animation feature in a neato way. The OS uses Core Animation so much better than that now so why even bother with it anymore? Hopefully it disappears from Finder and iOS Music App soon.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Does this version not run like complete ass on windows or did they patch in legacy support for horrible programming?

mollipen

I'm never a fan of this way of thinking. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to use it—but getting rid of it means that the people who did like it now have a lesser product.

iavi

x posting from gaf-hop since everyone seems to be sharing their favs in here

Thank you for the perfection, DJ Okawari

DJO.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Like so many updates, it seems like a mixed bag to me.

I generally dig the interface changes. It's clean and focused.

The update seems to have broken a healthy chunk of my manual album art. I don't see any rhyme or reason to what got lost either.

There are also fewer sort options in album view. There's seriously no option to change sort from ascending to descending?

I like the color-themed album listing. I just noticed that the secondary color for time and singer are also used. I thought it made this one a little more distinct than just a simple black background.

Also, Off The Wall > Thriller.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hi. I like the new Stix visualizer. Bye.

wow @ the jelly visualizer

its like enter the void
Those have been around since Leopard. They still haven't solved the issue with keystrokes not working with them. No idea if that's a iTunes issue or a Quartz one.

It was eye candy, that's all it is and all it ever was. I frankly never understood why Apple needed to purchase it from the developer except to show off their newfangled Core Animation feature in a neato way. The OS uses Core Animation so much better than that now so why even bother with it anymore? Hopefully it disappears from Finder and iOS Music App soon.

I sometimes used it when I was listening to music in bed since putting in full screen mode was a handy way to see large art of the currently playing song.

I lament more the death of iTuneDJ as that is what I used to use to queue songs with Alfred and I can't do that anymore. It's a hassle to have to go into iTunes to do it when originally it just required a few keystrokes.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is there even a possible reason why someone would want to have the same file listed twice in Itunes?

First, Itunes screws the pooch and makes it so I have like 11k duplicate songs, and now I have to go and delete each file individually. I could redo my entire library from scratch but then I'd lose thousands and thousands of ratings.

Why can't the program simply see that I have duplicate entries of the same song, both entries pointing to the SAME FILE, and delete an entry? Nobody needs more than one entry for the same fucking file.

I fucking hate you iTunes. You're a steaming piece of shit.

Majine

Banned
Just encountered the first bad thing about search (dunno if it was like this before tho): It couldn't find a song title because it was in parentheses.

big_z

how do you resize album art in albums view? i always used smaller icons so i could see 40-50 albums at a time. now i see only 12 and need to scroll constantly.

Krelian

Why is scrolling with a mouse through the albumview so goddamn slow? I switch to songview or Google Chrome and it's like being on ice.
I noticed this too, sadly. Sometimes I wonder if users of traditional input devices are even considered by Apple anymore. Scrolling with the mouse wheel in anything but the song view has become excruciatingly slow. It's unusable unless I click on the scroll bar to move it up and down. I tried to adjust scrolling speed in the system settings and it does change scrolling behavior. If I move it to max it feels alright, but every other app that used to work perfectly fine is affected by this too. So I can't do this.

I first noticed a difference in mouse wheel scrolling speed when scrolling through the application folder list in the dock. It wasn't a big deal there. I wonder though, will this continue to affect other Apple programs? If so I'd eventually be forced to buy a Trackpad. I've used a Trackpad before and it's the best touchpad there is but it's uncomfortable for me to use for a longer period of time. I just prefer the mouse for most things I do in my daily computer routine.

Aside from this rather big problem the new iTunes is fine.

Majine

Banned
I first noticed a difference in mouse wheel scrolling speed when scrolling through the application folder list in the dock. It wasn't a big deal there. I wonder though, will this continue to affect other Apple programs? If so I'd eventually be forced to buy a Trackpad. I've used a Trackpad before and it's the best touchpad there is but it's uncomfortable for me to use for a longer period of time. I just prefer the mouse for most things I do in my daily computer routine.

Yeah, using the trackpad it's fine. I just can't use it for an extended amount of time.

Never had a issue burning CDs. Maybe got a error every few months at most, since installing iTunes 11 I keep getting error code 2461 everytime I try to burn a cd. I googled the error and didn't see a fix. Anyone else have this issue or know a fix?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So, how can I use Title-view and see the album covers...? Don't know how that view was called previously.

the3ye

I'd love to have some break between discs of multiple discs albums in the Expanded View...
My soundtracks don't like it :/
Something like different discs on their own colums, or some kind of an indicator: 1 of 4

Hela

How can I get it to show ratings for individual podcast episodes?

wow, I fucking hate te list view since it show all the podcasts at once, might have to revert because that is unusable for me.

I just want them to be like when you select them for the phone - choose a podcast and there is a smal list like there was before, not all this redundant white space everywhere.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'd love to have some break between discs of multiple discs albums in the Expanded View...
My soundtracks don't like it :/
Something like different discs on their own colums, or some kind of an indicator: 1 of 4
I usually do it manually by putting something like "Disc 1", "Disc 2" at the end of each album name.

Seems like Apple still hasn't changed the whole "get album artwork" shit.

As in if you click on a song and get artwork, it'll embed the artwork to every song in the album. If you click the album it'll just download the album artwork to an itunes folder.

Gattsu25

Banned
Seems like Apple still hasn't changed the whole "get album artwork" shit.

As in if you click on a song and get artwork, it'll embed the artwork to every song in the album. If you click the album it'll just download the album artwork to an itunes folder.
I use MP3Tag to embed artwork.

iTunes method has always been inconsistent and I never knew why until this post. Thanks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They took out iTunes DJ? But that's the only reason I used iTunes as a music player, I thought iTunes DJ made it really easy to shuffle a playlist and still create a queue of songs if I wanted to.

Top Bottom