• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

n64coder

I installed the new version and am liking it better. I have a bunch of albums that don't have album cover work. I was too lazy to google for the image and paste it in. I'm finding that it's doing a much better job of finding proper covers.

the3ye

OK so I'm back on 10.7...
Will install 11 once they do something like this:
kjiKm.jpg
->
72ftk.jpg

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't sync podcast listened status and position through iCloud without a wired/wireless sync? Incredibly disappointing if so.

IceCold

Ah... one thing I really hate is that if you search for an artist or song it doesn't filter it dynamically on the songs section. Now if you click on the artist or album, it will change the view, and if you select the song, the scroll bar will go to where the song is, but doesn't filter out the rest. I hate this because I've always preferred the simple grid view since all I care about is seeing the most songs in the least amount of space.

Kammie

Ah... one thing I really hate is that if you search for an artist or song it doesn't filter it dynamically on the songs section. Now if you click on the artist or album, it will change the view, and if you select the song, the scroll bar will go to where the song is, but doesn't filter out the rest. I hate this because I've always preferred the simple grid view since all I care about is seeing the most songs in the least amount of space.
I was mad about the search too. But click on the search icon and uncheck "Search entire library." It will behave like in the previous version, with dynamic results in the main window instead of just in the little popup. This also keeps the view consistent with where you're at. It's a way to make the Album view more functional for me, with less scrolling.

Edit: Actually... I think it's somewhat glitchy. I can click on "Show love in music" on the popup, and it'll show dynamic results from that point on whenever I do a search, and the popup never comes up again. I guess that's the way to do it. But the only way to get the popup back after is unchecking and rechecking "Search entire library."

iTunes is just so fucking confusing. I remember being overwhelmed when I first installed it 7 years ago. I can't believe that being familiar with it, I'm confused about how it's even working. Jesus.

Ambitious

When you scroll to the bottom or top of a list and the content begins to bounce back like in iOS, you can't scroll back in the other direction until the bouncing animation has completely finished. May seem like minor thing but stuff like this is really pissing me off.

It's buggy anyway. Try "dragging" the content down repeatedly. At least for me, it gets jumpy as hell and the relationship between finger movement and scrolling movement is totally lost.

the3ye

How? Mine gives "The file itunes library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes" error.

go to "Previous iTunes Libraries" and move itl file dated just before updating iTunes to the main folder, remove the date and you're set.

Draft

The number one feature I want from iTunes is to have it monitor specific folders for media files and add or remove them to the library as they are added or removed from the folder. Looks like 11 didn't add this feature, unless I missed it.

Windows Media Player has had that feature for years. If iTunes wasn't the only way to manage my podcast subscriptions and get shit onto my iPod Touch I would put burn the worthless piece of shit to ashes.

Kammie

The number one feature I want from iTunes is to have it monitor specific folders for media files and add or remove them to the library as they are added or removed from the folder. Looks like 11 didn't add this feature, unless I missed it.

Windows Media Player has had that feature for years. If iTunes wasn't the only way to manage my podcast subscriptions and get shit onto my iPod Touch I would put burn the worthless piece of shit to ashes.
For adding, there's an Automatically Add to iTunes folder in your music library. Anything you throw in there is later moved by iTunes into the folders it manages. You'll have to delete from within iTunes, though.

When you scroll to the bottom or top of a list and the content begins to bounce back like in iOS, you can't scroll back in the other direction until the bouncing animation has completely finished. May seem like minor thing but stuff like this is really pissing me off.

It's buggy anyway. Try "dragging" the content down repeatedly. At least for me, it gets jumpy as hell and the relationship between finger movement and scrolling movement is totally lost.

Make sure you enter your age as '99' in the settings.

Draft

For adding, there's an Automatically Add to iTunes folder in your music library. Anything you throw in there is later moved by iTunes into the folders it manages. You'll have to delete from within iTunes, though.
Hmm. That does not sound exactly like what I want, but it could be worth investigating.

Really loving the new interface. It still tries to auto-download every single movie I have ever purchased every time I redeem or buy a new one though. :/

Kareha

Until Apple decides to add that much needed functionality I'm using this nifty piece of software for that function:

http://klarita.net/itlt.html

They took out iTunes DJ? But that's the only reason I used iTunes as a music player, I thought iTunes DJ made it really easy to shuffle a playlist and still create a queue of songs if I wanted to.

Party Shuffle has been replaced by the far superior "Up Next".

Oppo

Just curious - why do that? Double up your library like that? What's the advantage?

(Also why not just create a folder action to handle this?)

Draft

Just curious - why do that? Double up your library like that? What's the advantage?

(Also why not just create a folder action to handle this?)
I don't want to double my library. I want to have one music folder, let's name it c:\music. All music files go there. Stuff from Amazon, ripped CDs, stuff from iTunes (which I actually do not use to buy music,) downloads from indie music sites, copy paste files from game install folders, etc.

WMP, Winamp, and I believe Foobar, can all be set to just look at that folder and automatically put the files in it into a library that can be accessed via the media player. iTunes requires that files be added manually be me. Amazon music purchases can get around that because the downloader will do the adding, but any music bought outside of Amazon or iTunes needs to be manually added. Put the files into the right folder, copy them into iTunes, double check that the album art works, etc. If the files are deleted or moved, like maybe I decide to put all my movie soundtracks into c:\music\soundtracks, then all of the library entries tied to those files need to be deleted and then added again. It's a giant PITA and very frustrating because all the other major media players do it automatically.

AFAIK there is no way to do this in Windows, except maybe this software that was linked a few posts up.

Kammie

I don't want to double my library. I want to have one music folder, let's name it c:\music. All music files go there. Stuff from Amazon, ripped CDs, stuff from iTunes (which I actually do not use to buy music,) downloads from indie music sites, copy paste files from game install folders, etc.

WMP, Winamp, and I believe Foobar, can all be set to just look at that folder and automatically put the files in it into a library that can be accessed via the media player. iTunes requires that files be added manually be me. Amazon music purchases can get around that because the downloader will do the adding, but any music bought outside of Amazon or iTunes needs to be manually added. Put the files into the right folder, copy them into iTunes, double check that the album art works, etc. If the files are deleted or moved, like maybe I decide to put all my movie soundtracks into c:\music\soundtracks, then all of the library entries tied to those files need to be deleted and then added again. It's a giant PITA and very frustrating because all the other major media players do it automatically.

AFAIK there is no way to do this in Windows, except maybe this software that was linked a few posts up.
I think you're just complicating yourself.

The easiest way to use iTunes is to check the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" options. Then when you download something, drag it into iTunes (you don't need to manually make a folder), and then delete the original, or put the files into the folder I mentioned in my previous post, and iTunes automatically moves it to its own directory and sorts it out.

If you need to do something like copy files or playlists you have in iTunes to a portable device or whatever, within iTunes itself, just choose what you want, Ctrl+C, and then paste in your Explorer window. Or right-click and select "Show in Explorer" if you want to keep the folder structures iTunes is using.

I don't think it gets any easier than that, and I feel that the sorting options in iTunes give me a lot more flexibility in managing what I have than navigating through a bunch of folders and subfolders.

so i managed to run it once & now it just crashes/freezes every time. ITUNES YOU'RE MEANT TO BE GOOD ON OSX >:C

edit: hmm, okay, so it seems it was just taking forever to start up again, hopefully a proper close will sort that out.

Talon

I wonder if there's been a cut off point yet, like 2010 or so, when kids stopped stealing music because there were legal alternatives out there.

Mangotron

I wonder if there's been a cut off point yet, like 2010 or so, when kids stopped stealing music because there were legal alternatives out there.

Kids will always steal music because they don't have any/very much money and they like it.

We need Steam Sales for music to even consider moving towards that point.

Amazon sort of does that, $4 albums and 50c singles a lot of times.

see5harp

I do still prefer to use songs view because it's the snappy experience I'm used to. There's no way anyone with a large library can be scrolling smoothly with Album (or even artist view). I've got a somewhat new CPU and shit is chugging. Also search slow as hell and I hate the view jumping to artist or album view. Starting to get used to sending albums and songs to my iPhone playlist and I'll get used to not seeing the sidebar by default.

right okay, my girlfriend is having trouble using our NAS drive to play stuff on itunes & she's had the problem since upgrading to windows 8.
any idea how to point itunes to the NAS drive so that she can stream the music like she used to/i am on my mac, rather than copying or transferring things across?

i'll cross-post this in the technical & windows 8 threads too i think.

Kammie

I do still prefer to use songs view because it's the snappy experience I'm used to. There's no way anyone with a large library can be scrolling smoothly with Album (or even artist view). I've got a somewhat new CPU and shit is chugging. Also search slow as hell and I hate the view jumping to artist or album view. Starting to get used to sending albums and songs to my iPhone playlist and I'll get used to not seeing the sidebar by default.
I said it in a previous post, but you can either click on "Show x in music" or click on the magnifying glass and uncheck "Search entire library." That keeps it from jumping to artist or album view for me, and it behaves like it used to.

see5harp

Nice I'll have to try that. I do love that you can quickly send something to a playlist from basically every view aside from that (cover art control) and it doesn't list a playlist if the song is already on the playlist.

Mistake

after a few tweaks I'm liking it better. itunes seems to run a lot smoother now on windows 7 once it gets started. My system has low specs, so when I played music, itunes used to eat all my resources.

Top Bottom