• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

warhead

Previous iTunes I'd just have my list up with all my songs, sorted by album with the little cover art on the left for every album in the list. Now I can only do that under the Artists tab, but when I use that and put the entire library on shuffle iTunes no longer highlights the track that's currently playing, it just stays on top all the time.

When I use the Songs tab it does do that, but I can't see the artwork. This annoys me, because often during my shuffle session I'd find albums or sons I haven't listened to in a while, just by seeing the artwork. Now there's just a very long, visual unappealing, list of tracks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Previous iTunes I'd just have my list up with all my songs, sorted by album with the little cover art on the left for every album in the list. Now I can only do that under the Artists tab, but when I use that and put the entire library on shuffle iTunes no longer highlights the track that's currently playing, it just stays on top all the time.

When I use the Songs tab it does do that, but I can't see the artwork. This annoys me, because often during my shuffle session I'd find albums or sons I haven't listened to in a while, just by seeing the artwork. Now there's just a very long, visual unappealing, list of tracks.
Yep, this is my biggest beef with this version right now. Hopefully the next update gives the other tabs the automatic "go to current song" action like it is in the Songs tab (and/or visible cover art in the Songs tab).

sk3

Banned
Scrolling is smooth as butter for me after you load all the covers in ram. 1300 albums (90gb). I slowly scrolled through the whole list (where it fills in the album covers as they load from disk) for about 10 seconds, now when I scroll it's instant. I have a 3570k, but I don't store my music on my SSD.

One really stupid thing I've noticed as if you use album view (Grid in playlists), itunes will only play songs within that album you have open. So if you pick a certain song to play, and have shuffle on, it will only shuffle within the album. If you have repeat on it will repeat only that album (if you don't it just stops playing when the album is done).

Songs/Artists (List/Artist List in playlists) do not behave this way and work correctly on your entire library/playlist.

Kammie

Scrolling is smooth as butter for me after you load all the covers in ram. 1300 albums (90gb). I slowly scrolled through the whole list (where it fills in the album covers as they load from disk) for about 10 seconds, now when I scroll it's instant. I have a 3570k, but I don't store my music on my SSD.
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me the grid view loading is worse. I have a RAMDisk I use for iTunes artwork, and before it would take maybe 3 seconds to load all my albums, and they'd stay loaded forever. But now, it's always reloading them whenever I scroll through my library after a while. I get the feeling it flushes out the memory now and then in order to keep the RAM consumption down.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One really stupid thing I've noticed as if you use album view (Grid in playlists), itunes will only play songs within that album you have open. So if you pick a certain song to play, and have shuffle on, it will only shuffle within the album. If you have repeat on it will repeat only that album (if you don't it just stops playing when the album is done).

Songs/Artists (List/Artist List in playlists) do not behave this way and work correctly on your entire library/playlist.

Yeah... the grid is really nice looking, but lacking some fundamental features. It's really stupid.

Mush

I hate this pos already.

I have songs on shuffle, I pick another song from the same artist and it then plays on shuffle from within only that artist.

WHY

KtSlime

I hate this pos already.

I have songs on shuffle, I pick another song from the same artist and it then plays on shuffle from within only that artist.

WHY

Because you are probably in "Artists" view, switch to "Songs" view and it shuffles between all songs, switch to "Albums" view and it shuffles between all songs in a album. If you go to "Genres" it will shuffle between all songs in a genre. Get the pattern? Seems pretty consistent to me.

Blackheim

You can shuffle all artists in Artist view and have it play from your entire library. You have to make sure All Artists is selected:

untitled-1xnpol.png

They definitely made some weird design decisions with this release.

Oppo

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me the grid view loading is worse. I have a RAMDisk I use for iTunes artwork, and before it would take maybe 3 seconds to load all my albums, and they'd stay loaded forever. But now, it's always reloading them whenever I scroll through my library after a while. I get the feeling it flushes out the memory now and then in order to keep the RAM consumption down.

RAM disk? Really?

Haven't seen that term since System 7.

Mush

Because you are probably in "Artists" view, switch to "Songs" view and it shuffles between all songs, switch to "Albums" view and it shuffles between all songs in a album. If you go to "Genres" it will shuffle between all songs in a genre. Get the pattern? Seems pretty consistent to me.
I see. Can I view the album art next to the album or am I stuck with a list?

Kammie

RAM disk? Really?

Haven't seen that term since System 7.
Yeah, there was a thread about a utility AMD put out recently for it. I decided to try it with iTunes since it took forever to load artwork from my hard drive, and it was like I was using a supercomputer! It loaded art in like 1/10th of a second.

KtSlime

I see. Can I view the album art next to the album or am I stuck with a list?

The song view has no album art in the list. As Blackheim points out you can use the "All Artists" heading in the Artists view to shuffle all songs in that view.

I think it is pretty apparent by the fixed nature of the bar that Apple expects people to jump between views rather than just stick to one - it's kind of like a combination view/sort/classification tool. I personally like this part of the design (and hope they bring it to the Finder in 10.9), but I could see how someone might not.

Kammie

The song view has no album art in the list. As Blackheim points out you can use the "All Artists" heading in the Artists view to shuffle all songs in that view.

I think it is pretty apparent by the fixed nature of the bar that Apple expects people to jump between views rather than just stick to one - it's kind of like a combination view/sort/classification tool. I personally like this part of the design (and hope they bring it to the Finder in 10.9), but I could see how someone might not.
It's crap design and a huge, glaring oversight. There is now no way to look at specific tags and song info along with album art. The previous version let you toggle the album art in Song view on and off. There's no reason to remove that and force us to toggle between a bunch of different modes.

KtSlime

It's crap design and a huge, glaring oversight. There is now no way to look at specific tags and song info along with album art. The previous version let you toggle the album art in Song view on and off. There's no reason to remove that and force us to toggle between a bunch of different modes.

Why would you want 16x16 pixel album art in Songs view?

Urgh, browsing the iTunes store is still as slow as pigshit. I've only had an iphone for a week and a half, but I'm already infuriated by Apple's lack of a proper web-based store, a la Google Play.

You can shuffle all artists in Artist view and have it play from your entire library. You have to make sure All Artists is selected:

They definitely made some weird design decisions with this release.

They really did, I'll stick with this layout. The only thing I wish it did now was go straight to the song so it was showing the relevant artist rather than just the first artist in my library.

Kammie

Why would you want 16x16 pixel album art in Songs view?
Because I don't want to browse through 21,000 songs and have to read the titles of all those albums. An album thumbnail lets you glance and know where you're at. And it groups albums together and puts spaces between them. It's for functionality.

mrkgoo

I'm giving the no sidebar view a go.

While I like the cleanness, it conveys way less information at a glance. I also don't like having to click my devices button, then click my iPhone, then click sync.

It's an extra click. I wish there was a sync button in the popover menu on the devices button.

KtSlime

Because I don't want to browse through 21,000 songs and have to read the titles of all those albums. An album thumbnail lets you glance and know where you're at. And it groups albums together and puts spaces between them. It's for functionality.

Your eyes must be far more amazing than mine, down at that size pretty much all square images look like colored blobs to me. More power to you I guess, sorry Apple removed the feature. Hopefully they decide to add it back.

Wouldn't it be easier though to just use the search field to find a specific song? They have I think 40x40 pixel icons there. Even those are a bit small though.

I do share some of your pain though, the heavy emphasis on Albums does nothing for me since most of my music are singles.

LCfiner

it's not about having individual album art images at 16 x 16 beside each track. it's about having the large album art breaking up albums. So like the current artist view but with the ability to pick and choose the metadata you want in the other columns (and to sort by those columns, too)

in itunes 10.x, that song list view was an info dense view but is now much harder to browse because it's much harder to parse without the album art.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I have this problem too, here is my fix:

-highlight all the album's songs
-get info
-delete album name
-OK
-highlight all again
-get info
-reinsert album name
-OK

yeah, it's a pain.
Just wanted to say that this solved the issue for me, so thank you. Also figured with so many pages, it might be useful to someone who missed it earlier.

Kammie

Your eyes must be far more amazing than mine, down at that size pretty much all square images look like colored blobs to me. More power to you I guess, sorry Apple removed the feature. Hopefully they decide to add it back.

Wouldn't it be easier though to just use the search field to find a specific song? They have I think 40x40 pixel icons there. Even those are a bit small though.

I do share some of your pain though, the heavy emphasis on Albums does nothing for me since most of my music are singles.
I thought you were using GAF hyperbole about the 16x16, but I guess not, lol. The program (used to) let you resize the album artwork, so it worked just fine for me. I had it set to a medium size, and it was probably about 100x100, I think. Or maybe even bigger.

I don't use the search field much, it's useless to me when I can't remember the name of what I'm even looking for. I use the browser to narrow down genre/artist and then generally browse manually through the albums.

see5harp

I thought you were using GAF hyperbole about the 16x16, but I guess not, lol. The program (used to) let you resize the album artwork, so it worked just fine for me. I had it set to a medium size, and it was probably about 100x100, I think. Or maybe even bigger.

I don't use the search field much, it's useless to me when I can't remember the name of what I'm even looking for. I use the browser to narrow down genre/artist and then generally browse manually through the albums.

I use search all of the time, but in combination with the genre/artist/album browser. It's not pretty to look at but that's how I've done it since like the first version of iTunes on Windows.

wetwired

Wait a minute. No more album covers on the bottom left corner ? :(

This may be the last straw for me, anyone got any recommendations for itunes clones that can do this? I've been using itunes for years, before I ever had an ipod even, i've since moved away from apple hardware and to android but I still love(d) itunes for the way it organised and displayed my music, but with every iteration they managed to cock it up more and more and it's becoming increasingly bloated. (I remember when it a tiny install file and super fast to use)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I think it looks really nice, but as a mouse user when at home or on a desk with my MacBook I hate how slow the scrolling is, its awful compared to how fast scrolling is on any other program, have to give my finger a right workout.

Also, I still don't really like how disc's aren't separated properly under one album title. I would like to have them under one listing but they look meh when it is 123456789123etc. together, guess I will have to keep albums separate with (Disc x) like always.

the3ye

I think it looks really nice, but as a mouse user when at home or on a desk with my MacBook I hate how slow the scrolling is, its awful compared to how fast scrolling is on any other program, have to give my finger a right workout.

Also, I still don't really like how disc's aren't separated properly under one album title. I would like to have them under one listing but they look meh when it is 123456789123etc. together, guess I will have to keep albums separate with (Disc x) like always.

YES, check my mockup on the previous page.

Best looking extend goes to...

idInnX8gZS3lx.jpg

This may be the last straw for me, anyone got any recommendations for itunes clones that can do this? I've been using itunes for years, before I ever had an ipod even, i've since moved away from apple hardware and to android but I still love(d) itunes for the way it organised and displayed my music, but with every iteration they managed to cock it up more and more and it's becoming increasingly bloated. (I remember when it a tiny install file and super fast to use)

Just revert back to a previous version of itunes. http://www.filehippo.com

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So there is something else that is a little annoying, I've got Electronic Arts has the main artist for multiple soundtracks to keep them better organised for myself, but iTunes has decided that when using the Artist tab list that the little picture for all of Electronic Arts is one of their Apps instead of just the albums.
Stupid.

YES, check my mockup on the previous page.

Yup, that is what I want. I notice you used FFXIII, i complained because all four FFX discs together looked shiity and would prefer not to have 4 seperate album art for one collection.

Damn Final Fantasy games and their multi-disc soundtracks! lol.

mrkgoo

I'm disliking how navigation without the sidebar is so many more clicks. Before sidebar was always home base - you can click once and get anywhere.

Like I'm browsing music, click podcast and refresh. Click iPhone and click sync.

But now, if I'm looking at apps, and I update, it takes me to the store. Then when I want to refresh my podcasts, I first have to click "Library", then click "apps" again, select "Podcasts", THEN refresh.

Just more to get simple things done.

I might just switch the side bar back on.

edit: Did anyone else have to verify payment info again after logging out and signing back in for the first time?

Kammie

I'm disliking how navigation without the sidebar is so many more clicks. Before sidebar was always home base - you can click once and get anywhere
Yeah, I think I'm with you. My issue is with playlists. You had all your playlists and stuff just there at a glance, but now they're hidden not only a click away, but when you click on them, the entire view changes. So if you want to add things to playlists, you have to remember what playlists you have or go into that view just to be reminded, and then go back to drag a song into the popup sidebar. It's messy. I would have solved this with a sidebar that's always there but can autohide instead.

There's something I can't figure out. When I create a new playlist, I get a fancy sidebar where I can look at and reorder the songs. But if I'm not working with that, and I drag a song to put it into a pre-existing playlist, it just lets me drag it into the playlist but not edit it... so I then have to go into the Playlist view and manage it there. How the heck can I get the edit sidebar to show up for pre-existing playlists? Anyone know?

Edit: Figured it out. Right-click the playlist and select Edit Playlist. Then the popup shows up.

Edit 2: Sent Apple a request to make the Playlist button make the playlist sidebar show up (like when you're dragging songs), and not change the entire view to the old style. Doesn't this make a lot more sense? Remember to send feedback, guys, and ask for album art in Song mode! :(

upandaway

If I have it on "repeat (1)", I.. can't.. navigate?

Like, before, say you click on one song to play over and over, you could still switch songs with the back/forward. Now if you click on repeat, it locks out the back/forward buttons.

Am I missing something? Why would they do that :(

MrHicks

Banned
holy crap they actually got rid of the greyscale

the sidebar "podcasts" "music" etc is actually in color again
i might download this now (saw it in youtube review)

Omni

Interesting. I've been denying all the updates, but decided to get this one. Actually looks good

How do you see what song is coming next?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How do I see stuff that's currently downloading?

A little download icon appears on the top bar to the right, should have a little blue line that fills up as you download stuff, pressing it gives you a little pop-up with a list of everything downloading.

big_z

I can't seem to turn regular audio files into 'Podcasts' any more. Ugh. Wish I could downgrade.

you can. download 10.7, rename and move the last library back up into the itunes folder.(the one itunes11 creates isnt compatible with 10.7)

11 loads faster but to many things about it sucks. i went back to 10.7

Two big questions:

1. Can I somehow get my favourite part of the old layout back - the narrow artist column which went on the left-hand side of the screen and contained all the artists in small font (i.e. easier to scroll from top to bottom than this new artist list with album art and larger font)?

2. iTunes has decided to display a load of music I deleted years ago, and they all have clouds in the top right corner of their album art, which leads me to believe it might be music I paid for a long time ago or something, and which is therefore tied to my account. I want it all gone - not on my computer, or on my phone. How do I do this?

EDIT: Okay, so 'Hide Music in the Cloud' gets rid of it on iTunes, but will it still be on my phone once I sync up?

Thanks.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is there a check hotkey or something?

The boxes are hidden under anything but the songs view, unless I want to right click every song and such, is there a one button press or something I don't know of without having to always change my view?

LCfiner

Two big questions:

1. Can I somehow get my favourite part of the old layout back - the narrow artist column which went on the left-hand side of the screen and contained all the artists in small font (i.e. easier to scroll from top to bottom than this new artist list with album art and larger font)?

2. iTunes has decided to display a load of music I deleted years ago, and they all have clouds in the top right corner of their album art, which leads me to believe it might be music I paid for a long time ago or something, and which is therefore tied to my account. I want it all gone - not on my computer, or on my phone. How do I do this?

EDIT: Okay, so 'Hide Music in the Cloud' gets rid of it on iTunes, but will it still be on my phone once I sync up?

Thanks.

I think you mean the column browser (it could be set for artists or a combo of artists, albums, etc). and... nope. you can add it but only on the TOP of the library, not on the side.

for point 2... under the view menu, there should be an option to "hide music in the cloud" also works for movies and tv shows. check that and that old stuff will be gone. but so will anything not on your hard drive that you might want to see.

Top Bottom