• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

Explain that please.

I personally don't have time for that right now but you can google it and read up.

While you're at it, read up on Fidelia, Audirvana, and some of the others that provide far superior audio processing in either OSX or Windows. Of course, none of this matters if you're not using/buying quality (mid-fi) speakers/headphones, amps and dacs. If you're using low-fi cans or speakers, it'll all sound the same anyway. More or less.

Find out more about the alternatives and what they do better sonically at places like head-fi.org.

Kammie

I have to say that I love the new iTunes, only thing I don't like is that there seems to be no song list.

Also, any way to make the miniplayer stay on top always?
There's a script that I use called Always On Top where you hit Ctrl+Space and it'll make whatever window you want stay on top.

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/keep-window-always-on-top/5213/

The mini player is stupid if it doesn't have that feature by default. I think it should have an option to hide on the side or bottom of the screen, and come up when you hover around those pixels. It's too large for it to be comfortable anywhere, even the task bar.

Quick

Banned
iTunes was the only place I used it... for looks. I hate that shit in the Finder. I hate that shit on my iPhone. I never liked it when it was third-party. The only place I would enable it was iTunes for looks. But even then I could do without it. Now, get rid of it completely everywhere, Apple, and I'll be a happy happy man. Especially on iOS where it keeps coming up when I turn my phone sideways accidentally. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

I keep it off for everything, especially iTunes.

CRS

I know there was an option in the previous iTunes versions that had the keep mini-player on top option.

Check somewhere in the view options

One of the most thoughtful things I see is that when you're browsing albums and click one, and it pulls down the album details, it uses one of the colors from the album cover as a background color. Pretty nice.

RDreamer

Loving the look of this. The expanded view thing is awesome. Now I've got to find a ton of artwork! Luckily I just found a good program for that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I assume you have to be on Lion to get this update?

I'm on Snow Leopard and had no problems getting it.

Loving the look of this. The expanded view thing is awesome. Now I've got to find a ton of artwork! Luckily I just found a good program for that.

While it is slower you're better off doing album art manually. Lots of auto fetch programs never find the best quality art.

Majine

Banned
whoah does expanded view on albums automatically pick colors from the album cover? that is awesome.

It's the best part of the new iTunes I think. That example I gave on last page was a wierd one, but 99% of the cases the backgrounds do the covers justice.

whoah does expanded view on albums automatically pick colors from the album cover? that is awesome.

it looks really nice for this cover.
j0t54.png

Kammie

You people are driving me as crazy as this crappy new iTunes is, because this feature has been in iTunes for years—they've just changed how it's presented.
If you're talking about iTunes DJ, I don't want to use that crap!

Anyway, it's nicely presented, and you can drag and reorder stuff on the list. Thumbs up from me.

Quick

Banned
A music queue...oh man, oh god, oh man.

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it feels more responsive on Windows.

iNvid02

very slick, will take a few days to get use to but its an improvement

only thing i dont like is the lack of artwork on song view, and your library stats gone from the bottom

the pop up blending colours with each album art - beautiful touch

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
very slick, will take a few days to get use to but its an improvement

only thing i dont like is the lack of artwork on song view, and your library stats gone from the bottom
You can enable the status bar. View -> Show Status Bar

RDreamer

While it is slower you're better off doing album art manually. Lots of auto fetch programs never find the best quality art.

Not using an auto fetch program. I'm using album artwork assistant. You select an album in itunes, then go to it and hit get album, and it automatically searches google for the name of the album. Then you right click on whatever you want to use and it immediately uses it. It's still the same as manually finding album artwork, just a lot better than having to right click and get info and then typing in the name and dragging the artwork.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While the expanded view is pretty nice, the mix of soft edges and a reflected edge looks a bit odd.

Also they've seem to have removed the Stop button. So switching from a iTunes Store preview back to your library requires you to skip forward to stop playback.

Jomjom

Banned
Does this one finally fix the problem with foreign language characters? With 10 it's a crap shoot whether my Japanese and Chinese song titles show up as square boxes or the actual characters.

iOS on the iPhone or the iPad never has any problems with showing foreign language characters, but for some reason iTunes on Windows has always had this problem.

Quick

Banned
I ran into two issues on the iTunes Store: clearing preview history and movies re-downloading, even though it already did previously.

I previewed a couple of songs, and I pressed "clear" on the preview history menu, and nothing happened. I redeemed my Lord of the Rings Extended Edition digital copies, and it was already finished downloading, yet it's still telling me there's 3 still on queue to download.

Top Bottom