• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan to get lifetime achievement Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPLMD

He won't even meet his own daughter from a mistress and spoke out against democracy in China and you are asking if it's possible?

Lol this guy...

Way to try to ruin a topic about this mans achievement by throwing in some of your political bs.

Aki-at

Absolutely deserved, my favourite action star and actor too, love my Chan's work and even if his stuff in the last decade and a half or so don't match his output in the 80s and 90s he will always be one of the great if not greatest action star to me.

Think Armour of God 2 is possibly my favourite film starring him. The final fight with him going Superman always cracked me up.

Jackie always ok.

I'm happy for Jackie Chan, his movies are amazing and I loved them growing up. I've got rush hour 2 in my top ten of movies that I've seen, it's a perfect film

Oersted

Nobody will ever make movies like Jackie did again. Insurance and workplace safety standards are so different now than they were in '70s/'80s Hong Kong; nobody is allowed to put their body on the line the way they were back then, even if they're willing. Jackie was such a perfectionist, and so ready to film a simple shot hundreds of times or hurt himself to make it look right on camera.

Not to mention a lot of the time Jackie was writing, directing, starring in, choreographing the action scenes, being his own stuntman, and singing the theme song over the ending credit montage of him injuring himself. The man is a legend the likes of which we'll never see again.

LmjypGT.gif

LQwrg9M.gif

untitled-4z7p7j.gif

Jackass happened. Sasha Baron Cohen happened. Some always get away with it.

Lol this guy...

Way to try to ruin a topic about this mans achievement by throwing in some of your political bs.

How is the first political? Did you read?

Amazing.

He is a great actor and stuntman.

Highlight when I was younger was when Sky would show his movies.

You have your action hero's from the 80s etc but Jackie Chan was the only one who was badass, I loved the end of his films which had the outtakes of all the mistakes made in the scenes.

Well done Jackie!!!

zelas

Westerners have a built-in hate of "communism" and therefore China thanks to media and social conditioning since birth. The reality is that nothing is black and white in this world. Part of the actions taken was necessary; maybe America would have preferred China to open up and give in, but that did not happen in the end and there is no reason to antagonize a different perspective years and path after. We can only try to improve on the world we have now.

Just commenting on what I see in every thread that has something to do with China here on GAF and the general Western-dominated zeitgeist as a whole.

It's not merely a western, anti communist knee jerk criticism. On multiple occasions Chan has been critical of those in Hong Kong who prefer to exercise democratic values. Plenty of people in China and other countries have a problem with governments severely limiting free speech and other freedoms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/10/10/jackie-chan-is-no-friend-to-hong-kongs-protesters/
In 2012, Chan complained to the Chinese press that Hong Kong "had become a city of protest" and suggested that free speech be curtailed.

"People scold China's leaders, or anything else they like, and protest against everything," he told Southern People Weekly, a publication based in Guangdong province, on the other side of the border with Hong Kong. "The authorities should stipulate what issues people can protest over and on what issues it is not allowed."

Three years prior to that, at an event with Chinese business leaders in the island province of Hainan, he even speculated whether Chinese people deserved to have freedom. Here's the Associated Press report from then:

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He's easily my favorite martial arts actor but he has kind of been a communist stooge.

Fair but points deducted for being a millionaire spokesperson for an oppressive fake communist regime?

Jackie Chan is actually a billionaire, worth $1.88B according to the webz.

Frankly, I wouldn't hold being a patriotic Chinese person against someone from Hong Kong. Give the guy a break. He's given the world a lot in 40 years; enough to deserve a stupid fucking statue.

Edit: Hadn't seen zelas' post; yeah that's lame but probably not too out of the norm for a 62-year-old guy from Hong Kong.

Ultima_5

Fair but points deducted for being a millionaire spokesperson for an oppressive fake communist regime?

Also double damn GAF algorithm.

HGcfX0n.jp
I have trouble holding old people's views against them. He's 60. The world has changed since he developed most of his views. Like Clint Eastwood being a conservative. Who cares? Well all be out of touch one day too

It's not merely a western, anti communist knee jerk criticism. On multiple occasions Chan has been critical of those in Hong Kong who prefer to exercise democratic values. Plenty of people in China and other countries have a problem with governments severely limiting free speech and other freedoms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/10/10/jackie-chan-is-no-friend-to-hong-kongs-protesters/

He's easily my favorite martial arts actor but he has kind of been a communist stooge.

Yeah, Chan is a fucking asshole.

Well, well, well deserved. I hope the Academy does more original picks like this instead of "yet another white straight actor"

What's wrong with Owen Wilson or Johnny Knoxville?
They don't have an awards player to promote this fall like Tucker does (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk)

LiK

One thing non-native Cantonese speakers are missing are all the wonderful puns and witty remarks in his films. His 70s-90's era flicks had a shitload of great dialogue and banter but a lot of it is lost in translation. The English subs never really try to even show it so it's a bit of a bummer.

Szu

linsivvi

What's this gossip shit? Can't we just appreciate the man's work?

The poster asked a ridiculous question ("Is not liking this guy even possible?") and I answered it.

Don't like it? Too bad. *shrug*

Also, none of what I said is gossip. So your post is factually wrong.

The speaking out against his daughter is a strike against him but who cares about the democracy thing in China. China is way too big with population to even have a semi feasible democracy. There is probably over 100 million people in the third world who are uneducated. That system can't have a democracy.

Is Taiwan a democracy? Are people in Hong Kong living "in the third world who are uneducated"?

Stay ignorant though.

Lol this guy...

Start a fucking Cosby appreciation thread and see how it goes.

What you said is the real bs.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Totally deserved. Jackie Chan is such an incredibly positive role model. I loved Rumble in the Bronx, and Drunken Master has some of the best fight scenes ive ever seen.

Leatherface

I don't get star struck too easily but I would be beside myself if I ever had a chance to meet Jackie Chan. I absolutely love that man and all he's done. He totally deserves this. :)

DJChuy

I'm surprised, but it's well deserved. Congrats to him.

Drunken Master, Project A, Rumble in the Bronx and Rush Hour 1 & 2 were my movies growing up.

linsivvi

One of these things is a political position.
The other is a serial rapist.

Let's not go there.

So are you implying a person can only be criticized if that person is a serial rapist? If not why can't we go there?

Is rooting for an authoritarian regime that abuses human rights in order to make money for himself not a heinous act?

Is disowning his own daughter just for being born not a heinous act?

Again, I didn't insert myself into this thread until a poster asked the ridiculous question of "how can anyone not like this guy?". If you lot don't like it, take it up to that poster, not me.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The man is an absolute legend and one of my film heroes. I'm just gonna add that I consider Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao up there with him too. All legends in my eyes.

This guy single handedly changed Hollywood fight scenes.

No he didn't. LOL You can't replicate somebody like a Jackie Chan.

The Matrix in 1999 changed the game for Hollywood fight scenes by having regular actors actually train for 3 months before filming which was unheard of at the time and their use of CGI special effects to enhance it.

Garlador

So are you implying a person can only be criticized if that person is a serial rapist? If not why can't we go there?
It's like Hitler comparisons. It's just a false equivalence.

Is rooting for an authoritarian regime that abuses human rights in order to make money for himself not a heinous act?
Are you American? Have you looked up your own history? Have you gotten your own act together? Don't even get me started on minority oppression and America's pervasive gun problem.

Is disowning his own daughter just for being born not a heinous act?
You realize his daughter's MOTHER made the decision to raise her without Jackie Chan involved in their life, right? He had an affair and the mom didn't want him involved.

Again, I didn't insert myself into this thread until a poster asked the ridiculous question of "how can anyone not like this guy?". If you lots don't like it, take it up to that poster, not me.
There's "not liking a guy" and then there's comparing him to a serial rapist.

linsivvi

It's like Hitler comparisons. It's just a false equivalence.

Are you American? Have you looked up your own history? Have you gotten your own act together? Don't even get me started on minority oppression and America's pervasive gun problem.

You realize his daughter's MOTHER made the decision to raise her without Jackie Chan involved in their life, right? He had an affair and the mom didn't want him involved.

There's "not liking a guy" and then there's comparing him to a serial rapist.

Wow. That and false information is basically your entire post, plus a sprinkly of an ad hominem attack.

/ignore

gwailo

Banned
He's not as bad as Cosby, but he has used the casting couch to find a few of his mistresses.

Jackie's incredible on the screen and has a lot of positives off of it like giving to charity, but he definitely has a dark side. Probably not all that surprising since he grew up in what many would consider child abuse and then had fame/money at a relatively early age.

Llyranor

Saw some folks on Twitter earlier (Markman and prog maybe?) talking about the top 5 Jackie films of all time today, and I was kind of surprised in trying to look some of them up on Amazon how there's not really any formal releases of a lot of them, or the ones that do exist are either clearly not official US releases, or are super old. Wheels on Meals etc. Wouldn't mind grabbing some of his stuff but I'm surprised at how hard it seems like that might be?

It irritated the hell out of me when I finally watched Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever and then went to Amazon to buy them and found nothing. It really is too bad what happened to Dragon Dynasty because I imagine they would have released copies eventually (though they did screw up a couple releases, like Jet Li's The Enforcer being dub-only and Police Story 3 being the short American cut with terrible soundtrack).

If you guys are serious about tracking down his old films, the best way is either region 2 DVD's (Hong Kong Legends) or HK (Fortune Star either region 0 or 3) DVD's. The Blu's are all upscales with remixed soundtracks (added foley sounds) except for Accidental Spy. There are a few japanese true HD Blus with the english dub, but no english subtitles if you want the cantonese track.

Think Armour of God 2 is possibly my favourite film starring him. The final fight with him going Superman always cracked me up.

I think it is my favorite too. The last 30-45min is just so creative, it's amazing.

I especially love this scene leading up to the moving platforms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD0d_l71m88

Garlador

Wow. That and false information is basically your entire post, plus a sprinkly of an ad hominem attack.

/ignore
I can cite my sources. Can you cite yours?

Let me know when you're going to "Make America Great Again", by the way. I'm waiting on that with bated breath.

EYEL1NER

If you guys are serious about tracking down his old films, the best way is either region 2 DVD's (Hong Kong Legends) or HK (Fortune Star either region 0 or 3) DVD's. The Blu's are all upscales with remixed soundtracks (added foley sounds) except for Accidental Spy. There are a few japanese true HD Blus with the english dub, but no english subtitles if you want the cantonese track.
Thanks for the advice. For a little while a couple years ago I was trying to hunt some down from different regions but there were so many versions, combined with the fact that there are so many pirated versions and it is hard to tell what is a legit product over the Internet, that I gave up. While you are offering up help though, if you know which company put out the best versions of older R2 Stephen Chow films, I would appreciate that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom