• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Bond: Blood Stone |OT| 00-fficial 7hread

This to me seems like another Singularity. Activision just releasing the game and not doing jack shit in advertising or supporting the game. Singularity was a great game and deserved much better.

gamerecks said:
This to me seems like another Singularity. Activision just releasing the game and not doing jack shit in advertising or supporting the game. Singularity was a great game and deserved much better.

Transformers was a pretty decent shooter that deserved much better. And Blur was a great racer that deserved much better.

Perhaps that could be the new company slogan?

ACTIVISION: OUR GAMES DESERVE BETTER.

whatevermort said:
Transformers was a pretty decent shooter that deserved much better. And Blur was a great racer that deserved much better.

Perhaps that could be the new company slogan?

ACTIVISION: OUR GAMES DESERVE BETTER.

So in other words Activision has had a great year releasing great games?

Nemesis_

Looking at a few gameplay videos, the game looks awfully plain and, well, fake looking. I don't know how to explain it - something is off.

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
So in other words Activision has had a great year releasing great games?

I"m not sure what you mean, but they released some great games and gave them next-to no proper advertising. Nobody realised these games were even out (especially in the case of Singularity and, it seems, Blood Stone). I'm not saying that it's not great for these companies that Activision is releasing their games, because it is. But they could do something to publicise them. (And I don't mean that awful Blur advert.)

whatevermort said:
I"m not sure what you mean, but they released some great games and gave them next-to no proper advertising. Nobody realised these games were even out (especially in the case of Singularity and, it seems, Blood Stone). I'm not saying that it's not great for these companies that Activision is releasing their games, because it is. But they could do something to publicise them. (And I don't mean that awful Blur advert.)
Yeah, Singularity got no love from Activision, none whatsoever. And I didn't even know Blood Stone was coming out on the say day as Goldeneye.

I thought Blood Stone was coming out early next year! It just seems like it's floating under the radar, and it's a Bond game!

At least give Blood Stone a cool commercial showing Daniel Craig in a race car and blowing things up!

demolitio

The lack of awareness for this game kind of sucks as I want this game to sell well in hopes of future Bond titles, but it looks like Activision doesn't care too much about the franchise to me except for a few GoldenEye commercials they made that I've yet to see on TV. I don't take it as a sign that this game sucks as they did the same exact thing with Singularity and that was a pretty good game. I just feel bad for the developers of these games that Activision seems to screw over. I'm not asking for a huge marketing campaign, but at least let people know these games exist for those Bond fans that might not follow the same gaming sites but would love to play as 007 again.

Poor Bond franchise and it's history of usually mediocre games...Now they have what I assume are pretty good games and it's not being marketed enough and sold at a bad time right before Black Ops. Bond games can finally be good again yet they now won't sell enough to warrant large budget Bond games in the future. I'm hoping GoldenEye at least sells well enough on the Wii to keep Bond alive, but I don't have much hope on Blood Stone selling a lot of copies. :(

S1kkZ

very impressed, so far.
nice graphics (only downsides: horrible faces in the cutscenes and they use a grain filter for a more film like look), great soundtrack, very good bond atmosphere, great vehicle sequences, smooth controls.

Dreohboy

Penguin said:
Yeah just watched it, an interesting review, though he does give away some of the plots and shows all of the stages

Thanks. Not watching more than a few minutes..and the end.

Dude right off says Quantum of Solace was a great game AND that he's a Bond fanboy.

I beat the game yesterday. It's a good game. Like I said before if you dug the PS2 Bond games like EON it's pretty much worth your time.

Prothero

Neo Member
BigBlackGamer said:
I beat the game yesterday. It's a good game. Like I said before if you dug the PS2 Bond games like EON it's pretty much worth your time.

Would you say it's as good as (or better than) EON?

badyu17

Personally, I think Everything or Nothing is still a better game that had more variety, was longer, at time had more interesting gameplay sections and better story but Bloodstone is quite good game too.

BigBlackGamer said:

And can we get some confirmation on game-length stuff?

gamerecks said:

Amen, totally agreedn. Having played through Blood Stone, embargo ends on Friday, it's a solid game, but as the previews have hinted, it's for a more casual audience than us hardcore gamers. I enjoyed it though.

whatevermort said:
And can we get some confirmation on game-length stuff?

It's what you would expect from a story driven single player game these days. There's a good bit of replay value with scannable intel files hidden in levels, most in plain sight though. The trophies are thankfully much more, erm "casual" than in Bizarre's Blur, where they were just nasty.

The game looks really, really good in places. I really expect polarizing reviews on this one. It's really solid work from Bizarre.

RiotPelaaja said:
Amen, totally agreedn. Having played through Blood Stone, embargo ends on Friday, it's a solid game, but as the previews have hinted, it's for a more casual audience than us hardcore gamers. I enjoyed it though.

How can an embargo end 4 days after the game comes out? Don't embargo automatically end once you can actually buy the game yourself

Edit: Nevermind I see that the 2nd is the NA date and Europe is on Friday

Kittonwy

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:

A solid 7 or a solid 8, or is it a solid 6? If you take away the "I had fun with it" factor, and just look at how they executed each of the game's component, how would you rate it? And why FRIDAY? The game is out now, right?
Indifferent2.gif

RiotPelaaja said:
It's what you would expect from a story driven single player game these days. There's a good bit of replay value with scannable intel files hidden in levels, most in plain sight though. The trophies are thankfully much more, erm "casual" than in Bizarre's Blur, where they were just nasty.

The game looks really, really good in places. I really expect polarizing reviews on this one. It's really solid work from Bizarre.

I'd expect more than 4 hours, but that's what's been reported elsewhere in the thread. Is it actually that short?

i just played the 1st level of the game and im really liking it so far...cover system/combat is really decent and driving missions control very nicely...

graphically is looks like uncharted 2 influenced it quite a bit (for environments)...but as already mentioned the character models are just terrible and FX looks like ps2 quality (esp in the cut scenes)

BigBlackGamer said:
around 5 hours on the hardest setting. (007 difficulty unlocks after you beat the game)

Do you (or anyone) know if there are unlocks (like weapons) ?

Its not a bond game unless I get a golden gun somehow!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just grabbed the PC version. Hopefully it's as good a PC release as Blur (ran looked great, pad support, splitscreen, lan play, etc.)

9 gb, 1 hour left to DL on Steam.

I actually liked what I had played of Blood Stone at NYCC last month (the boat chase specifically), but yeah, I was going to wait for a price drop regardless.

KingJ2002

teruterubozu said:
IGN = 5.0

Ouch! Didn't think it would be that bad.

i haven't played the game... but the reaction from people in this thread shows it's not 5.0 bad.

that review read as if the reviewer wasn't in the mood to play it.

any case... i understand why they're not promoting this game much... when you have two bond games releasing at the same time... you don't really want to confuse the audience. Maybe there will be a short holiday campaign for it... some print ads, some TV spots... something... hopefully.

WOW and Goldeneye got a 9??? Goldeney is cool but this felt so much more like James Bond than Goldeneye Wii althought haven't played online in that. The pre credits opening scene is better in Bloodstone I think though althought the remake of the Goldeneye song is better on the Wii. Wish they had Just made Goldeneye for HD consoles as well. Saying that this was fun the Boat and Driving sections in the opening was great.

IGN's Review said:
Closing Comments
If GoldenEye is indeed the Sean Connery of 007 video games, then Blood Stone is the George Lazenby; not bad, but not good either, and forgettable in almost every way. At just five hours long and lacking in any real innovation or challenge, it won't leave you feeling shaken nor stirred, just shortchanged.

Shouldn't Goldeneye be the Pierce Brosnan of video games considering hes the best bond? (he also happens to be in it! Coincidence? I don't think so)

Yeah... I went there

Game just hit Steam, 30 quid for a PC game that seems to be reviewing very badly. Also what is up with every review/preview not mentioning the PC version?

Totally not taking that risk as much as I love Bizarre.
HamPster PamPster said:
Pierce Brosnan... the best bond?
:I

VASPER

Banned
I'm sorry guys i don't have this game to post pic's of myself and the game too bad but soon when my store get them in i will post a few for GAF.

Kittonwy

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
i haven't played the game... but the reaction from people in this thread shows it's not 5.0 bad.

that review read as if the reviewer wasn't in the mood to play it.

any case... i understand why they're not promoting this game much... when you have two bond games releasing at the same time... you don't really want to confuse the audience. Maybe there will be a short holiday campaign for it... some print ads, some TV spots... something... hopefully.

But that's usually the case with a lot of games getting mediocre scores, people who own the game often will like it more than the reviewers because the reviewers don't always overlook the flaws. 5.0 from IGN is pretty bad, but I guess I'll wait for more scores to come on, so it looks like the embargo is over.

Xater

Score is not entirely unexpected. The Club was garbage and obviously Activision has something to hide the way they released this title.

Shiggy

HamPster PamPster said:
Shouldn't Goldeneye be the Pierce Brosnan of video games considering hes the best bond? (he also happens to be in it! Coincidence? I don't think so)

Yeah... I went there

Was a Bond movie with Brosnan the first Bond you ever saw?

Kittonwy

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:

Yeah... I went there

NO

NONONONONO

HELL NO

NO

NOOOOOOOO

Ummmm...

NO

Indifferent2.gif

Shiggy said:
Was a Bond movie with Brosnan the first Bond you ever saw?

Nope. Thinking about it maybe Moore should be on top since Moonraker is the best bond movie. So hard to choose, but theres an Off Topic thread for that

On topic, so a 360 pad works fine on the PC besides the button prompts not changing?

Kittonwy said:
NO

NONONONONO

HELL NO

NO

NOOOOOOOO

Ummmm...

NO

Indifferent2.gif

Moore fan I take it? I can respect that

Top Bottom