• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

McNei1y

iAcHSqeixAfTe.gif

Thank you for bringing this gif. I love the movie and will now use this accordingly.

I'm watching this week's NXT and got to the Emma vs Paige match.....and on Emma's entrance, I'll just quote Regal: "What on earth is she doing?"

gUZSt.gif

This entrance looks like a custom entrance that no one uses in a WWE game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Let's be honest, someone would make a custom entrance for Undertaker and Kane (especially Kane) doing exactly that entrance.

GolazoDan

The Gaming section discussion about the word "gaijin" makes me question everything I know about the world of puroresu, :(. Then again it's wrestling, perhaps not the most politically correct thing in the world.

Did someone mention another Rock Concert? i'm so in for that, even if last years was lacking it still had the eerily appropriate "divorce lawyers right up the block" part for Cena.

Echoing the sentiments that merely the opening of that 1999 episode of SD has more energy to it from music, pyro and crowd alone, well okay crowd was a given.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 7/5/2000

The go home show for the Bash At The Beach.

EARLIER TODAY. Jeff and The Cat argued about stuff and RATINGS. Getting sick of hearing RATINGS talked about constantly.

Jeff comes to the ring. He's the greatest WCW Champion of all time. He invites Hulk Hogan to the ring tonight! This brings Cat out. He already told Jeff earlier that this wasn't going to happen. Speaking of ratings, he's going to put on a karate demonstration tonight. He also books a tag match of Booker/Buff vs Kanyon/Shane and the winner of the fall will go on to face Jeff Jarrett tonight for the title.

Show run down. We'll also get the return of The Demon vs Big Vito and Rick Steiner vs Mike Awesome. JTB's injury has removed him from his title match at the Bash. Goldberg and Nash were both told not to show up to Thunder.

TO THE TANNING SALON.
The Perfect Event go tanning. With their title belts on. What? Woody locked them in their beds and turned them up full blast.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-04h24m42s157_zpsdef54d25.png

TO THE BACK
. Jeff Jarrett is throwing stuff around when Kanyon Kanyon Cuts a random guy. BANG. I might go back and record all of these and put them in one clip for the youtubes.

Disco vs Rey vs Lance Storm vs Kidman

Any man can tag any man. I think. The Animals attack Lance before Kidman comes out. Kidman and Lance start out. Bunch of near falls until Rey and Disco get involved in it. Rey tags himself in. Now Disco and Rey are double teaming Lonce. Lance gets his boot up for the bronco buster. TO THE DICK!

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-04h31m43s211_zps01e6b027.png

He tags Disco in and now the FILTHY ANIMALS EXPLOOOODDDEE!!! Lance wins with the rolling half crab on Disco. Kidman tried to break it up, but didn't make it in quick enough. Decent enough.

TO THE BACK. Gene is with Booker and Buff. The two guys who killed the WCW brand. Booker thinks he's going to write a book of his own. It's about Kanyon. The tag champs are cut out of their tanning beds. The trainer stooges off Woody.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-04h36m04s62_zps7ace34c1.png

The Cat comes out for his karate demonstration. His opponents are the Jung Dragons. They attack Cat. Kaz kicks Cat's fucking face off. Jesus. Cat bails out and says this is just a demonstration. This is silly. Cat throws Kaz over the ropes by his balls. The fuck, man. Cat dances.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-04h43m02s3_zpse496d6b1.png

TO THE PRODUCTION TRUCK
. The champs confront Woody.

TO THE BACK. Cat gives the Dragons a bonus for keeping him on his toes.

Vito vs The Demon WCW Hardcore Championship

Vito finds the coffin in the back and starts hitting it, but Demon attacked from behind. I guess that is a SWERVE. I believe this has already lasted longer and been more intense than the match with Vampiro. Vamp walks out with a shovel. He breaks it on the Demon. Vito retains. Vamp has a microphone. It's done Sunday night. I hope so.

TO THE BACK. Mean Gene is with Mike Awesome. Mike Awesome should never, ever have been allowed to talk. He plays a clearly doctored tape of him "beating" Scott on Nitro. "What a freakin' mullet!" Shane and Kanyon argue about who is going to win the match. Kanyon thought about hitting the Kanyon Cutter, but got caught.

The Perfect Event vs Woody/Brian Adams

Woody gets his own music. What. He takes his shirt off and dances to the ring. Back slaps and chops. Woody and Crush do high times to Meat and Woody pins him by tea bagging him.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-04h58m22s86_zpscd987252.png

TO THE BACK. Vito sees Funk and hides so he can ambush him. After a break, Vito leaves.

Shane Douglas/Kanyon vs Buff Bagwell/Booker T

Winner of the fall gets a title shot at Jarrett tonight. I'm only here for the Kanyon Cutter. Shane won't tag in. Kanyon won't tag out when Shane finally wants in. Booker wins with a MURDEROUS Book End on Kanyon. Booker will get a title shot tonight.

bookend-o.gif

TO THE BACK. MIA meeting. Gunns and Chavo vs Juvi and Tygress tonight. Crowbar arrived and seems to be in pain. Daffney was watching him. Mike Awesome goes into Rick's dressing room and steals his sprays something on Rick's sunglasses.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-05h23m49s44_zpsd4014547.png

Lt. Loco/Major Gunns vs Juvi Juice/Tygress.

Thank god the Animals got a jobber entrance because I fucking hate that song. Juvi is wearing seat covers from a 69 Pinto according to Brain. I have to agree. Those pants are terrible. Tygress is hot. Gunns kicks Juice in the fruits. Feline fight! Gunns slams Tygress, Juvi tries to Juvi Drive her, hits a sit out Curtain Call on Juvi, Tygress trips Gunns and hurts her eye or something, which allows Juvi to hit Chavo with the belt for the win. Juvi was definitely the ugliest woman in the ring.

TO THE BACK
. Rick Steiner puts his classes on and falls down and tries to wash his eyes out. Gene talks to Booker about his title match tonight. He's going to win.

A weird recap video of Sting/Vamp/Demon with a lot of stock hospital room shots. We were supposed to have Awesome/Steiner right now, but since Rick can't see, we'll go to an interview with Jim Duggan instead.

TO THE DUGGANS. Tenay interviews Jim and his wife. He's physically okay. Emotionally, eh. We haven't seen the last of ol' Hacksaw, tough guys. HOOOO!

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-05h37m05s68_zpsf312ef4c.png

TO THE BACK.
Crowbar is looking for David. He finds David and Stacy and beats David out of the room. Stacy chases with a pipe. Gene is with Double J. He's over looking Booker on purpose, because he can. The trainer checks on Rick's eyes.

David Flair vs Crowbar.

Crowbar beats David all the way to the ring, where a ref is waiting. David has the figure four on. Stacy comes out with the pipe, which he grabs for leverage. She gets in the ring with pipe, which distracts the ref enough to let David hit a low blow. Daffney comes out and they have a tug of war. A cat fight almost breaks out, but Stacy stops when Daffney pulls out the hair clippers. Crowbar hits David with the pipe and hits a sitout gourbuster for the win. Crowbar makes David admit to cutting Daffney's hair. But he blames Stacy. He also forces David to admit to cheating on Daffney. Daffney slaps David and storms off.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-05h51m03s183_zps9d2883d5.png

TO THE BACK. Awesome and Rick head to the ring. Stacy is with the trainer. David freaks out that he's touching her leg. He shaves the trainer's head.

Rick Steiner vs Mike Awesome.

Awesome gets bumped face first into a table in the corner. Rick gets a chair, but Slick takes it away. Awesome sprays whatever in the eyes again and pins Rick. Well, that was short and pointless.

TO THE BACK. Booker and Jeff head to the ring area.

Jeff Jarrett vs Booker T WCW Championship

I want to play VPW2. Haven't played it for a long time. I want to powerbomb people with Mike Awesome and hit a Burning Hammer on someone. They brawl for a bit until Jeff locks in a figure four. It's so weird seeing Booker with his fade and mustache again. Book gets out and they do a double clothesline spot. Axe kick, spinarooni, side slam. Very near fall. Booker tries a side kick and gets crotched. He falls to the floor and KANYON CUTTER OUTTA NOWHERE BRO! Booker is rolled into the ring and pinned. Jeff Jarrett retains. Tony is super pissed at this and how Booker got jobbed out. Cat comes out and restarts the match due to the no interference rule. Booker gets a series of near falls. Missile dropkick, but Jeff's leg is on the ropes. A ref bump. In a Jeff Jarrett match? Book End, but the ref is out. Cat tries to take Robinson's shirt off , but it gets stuck on his head or something, so Booker has to hit a side kick in the ring and try the count again. Jeff still kicked out. Jeff hits Cat with his guitar and leaves.

vlcsnap-2013-01-12-06h14m47s87_zps2d9f71b1.png

As far as go home goes go, this was pretty much fluff. Cat is a weird commissioner. He's clearly a heel (although I don't know about that after this show), but will fuck over the heels any time he needs to if it means ratings. And no interference rules that he actually punishes people, even his buddies, for breaking.

Imagine in the go home show before Summerslam that WWE would run a multi segment angle and match featuring a production truck guy. And not only that, but run it for weeks. Woody has had more screen time than a good number of wrestlers in the past 2-3 weeks.

GolazoDan

Did someone mention another Rock Concert? i'm so in for that, even if last years was lacking it still had the eerily appropriate "divorce lawyers right up the block" part for Cena.

Echoing the sentiments that merely the opening of that 1999 episode of SD has more energy to it from music, pyro and crowd alone, well okay crowd was a given.
The music, definitely. I miss the television show themes where the words were just nonsense. And the credits would give you an epileptic fit even if you weren't epileptic.

The Gaming section discussion about the word "gaijin" makes me question everything I know about the world of puroresu, :(. Then again it's wrestling, perhaps not the most politically correct thing in the world.

Wow, that thread made for an...interesting read. Wrestling in Japan has always been a very nationalistic, 'us vs them' sort of affair. It was introduced by US soldiers stationed there after WW2 and, right up until the 80's, was almost always in the format of gaijin vs Japanese, with the foreign wrestlers invariably playing the bad guy to the home country heroes like Rikidozan, Baba & Inoki. Some point to the fact that puroresu has moved away from this format as one of the reasons for wrestling's downturn in Japan over the past decade or two.

Striker

Only time something like that and was done extremely well (at least for TV) was the Rock/Mankind's "This is Your Life".

The concerts were great for him being a heel because he can rip on anybody, including the crowd.

As for it wanting something serious, look at Undertaker and Triple H's trash last year. It's not like either guy is bad on the mic, but the whole thing of nothing but talk gets so tiring really quick. These matches need something to spark it, whatever it may be.

strobogo

Banned
Wow, that thread made for an...interesting read. Wrestling in Japan has always been a very nationalistic, 'us vs them' sort of affair. It was introduced by US soldiers stationed there after WW2 and, right up until the 80's, was almost always in the format of gaijin vs Japanese, with the foreign wrestlers invariably playing the bad guy to the home country heroes like Rikidozan, Baba & Inoki. Some point to the fact that puroresu has moved away from this format as one of the reasons for wrestling's downturn in Japan over the past decade or two.

I think compared to how American wrestling from the late 80s until now minus the indies have treated Japanese wrestlers, puro isn't that bad. Despite the foreigners being treated as beasts from other nations, at least they're in ring skills were treated with respect.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
oh shit

they're building up matches like Main Event :eek:

lol @ censoring Booker T

The PCW event I have front row seats for just announced the last name for it......ted Dibiase Sr WTF is he still competing?

The line up so far is

Steen
Gargano
Dreamer
Di biase
30 man rumble

Should be fun

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Kaitlyn has a lovely serious voice

19 cut aways including the finish!

NEW RECORD

Ithil

It sucks they let Buggie go, she probably had the best woman's finisher in the WWE since Victoria https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyrU0qUAPg4

It is a shame, she seemed like a big talent and had a unique look, but I recognize she wasn't much worth to them, having gone into rehab almost immediately after being signed.

But she's only 23, she might get signed back down the road.

However, in good developmental news, there's buzz that Bill DeMott may have been released (again) and been replaced as head trainer by Billy Gunn.

tm24

Tonight will be the saddest night in PWG history. PWG presents DDT4 2013, where El Generico is very likely to wrestle for the last time. It's gonna be a party, thats for sure

Fantasy booking time! El Generico and Kevin Steen make it to the finals. Will probably lose to Future Shock. But they will bury the hatchet at the end of the night, only for El Generico to kick Kevin Steen in the balls while the entire place chants Si!

Top Bottom