• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

You follow wrestlers on Twitter?

That's almost as bad as wearing wrestling shirts.

Nope. I don't use my real name and I don't tweet. It's basically an RSS reader for twitter feeds.

That would be like if I bought wrestling shirts with cash, so as to not leave a paper trail, in a store miles from my home where no one knows me and I only wore them in my house.

Jake, DiBiase, Piper, Flair, Funk, Rhodes, Rock, Foley, Austin, Jericho, Pillman, Savage, Angle, Lawler, Punk, Owen, Hulk, Rude, Eddie, Perfect, etc.

*edit, lol;

Wow. Frankly, I'm going to stop now, as my opinion is so clearly divergent from yours.

Okay, you're fucking trolling if you think Cena is better on the mic than any of them.

Jake the Snake? Million dollar man? Look at me yell and act crazy Roddy Piper? Look at me yell and act crazy and woo Ric Flair? Mick Foley (seriously?)? Savage? The guy was a character, he didn't have anywhere near the skill Cena has in terms of smooth and quick delivery of long dialogue.

Only The Rock, Punk, and Stone Cold are on his level.

Link me to some good promos of Perfect (who is one of my favs of all time), Eddie, Owen, Savage, Foley... give me a break. Half of this is nostalgia and the other half is not knowing what we're talking about and marking for the characters rather than looking past them and the writing and evaluating skill and delivery.

Ok Heenan is up there with them.

Now answer for the others, you can't.

Rock, Cena, Punk, Stone Cold, Heenan, Heyman. These are the best ever on the mic.

And btw, I ignored Heenan because he was mostly a manager otherwise I would have included Heyman in my original list.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am all about hustle loyalty and respect.

*Dumps shit on people.

Yes Heavy, you are right, what an amazing coherent and charasmatic promo that was. Lol.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Anything you can do
I can do better
Even when I rap
I rap more better
It's like this body
When wrapped in leather
Perfection and it gets no better

So apparently I missed an entire episode of Raw, I honestly forgot it was even on, unfortunately i'll have to at least catch up on some of it for my man Wade Barrett.

Pfft, some jobber complaining about having to scroll past them WCW posts, I just scrolled through this entire thread from the beginning, now that's hardcore!
Can't miss out on those potential Good Guy Glenn pics that's for sure.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So apparently I missed an entire episode of Raw, I honestly forgot it was even on, unfortunately i'll have to at least catch up on some of it for my man Wade Barrett.

Pfft, some jobber complaining about having to scroll past them WCW posts, I just scrolled through this entire thread from the beginning, now that's hardcore!
Can't miss out on those potential Good Guy Glenn pics that's for sure.
Check out who Natalya is holding onto.

tumblr_mfxo0t5Msj1ric6vxo1_1280.png

She wants it.

This promo discussion is fucking moronic anyways.

20 years ago a promo was a minute to two minute long backstage segment designed to get over the importance of an upcoming match and character and gimmick were everything. Now, a promo is a 10 minute in-ring debacle designed to get over whatever nonsensical, bullshit storyline they're peddling this month, and the man IS the character. Which probably explains why John Cena on-screen is such a bland an uninteresting piece of shit, with formulaic, by the numbers delivery to match his formulaic, by the numbers superman character.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I know some folks will say "Oh Soul, you Kane fan you", but this is a damn good one.
Of course. The only other one that I think compares is HBK's Montreal promo, but that involved some shoot stuff, so I don't think it counts totally.

Kane delivered a promo completely steeped 13 years of kayfabe, and made it absolutely believable, with great delivery, logic, and timing. I was watching it with a group of friends who hadn't seen wrestling since 2001, and they thought it was absolutely fantastic.

20 years ago a promo was a minute to two minute long backstage segment designed to get over the importance of an upcoming match and character and gimmick were everything. Now, a promo is a 10 minute in-ring debacle designed to get over whatever nonsensical, bullshit storyline they're peddling this month, and the man IS the character. Which probably explains why John Cena on-screen is such a bland an uninteresting piece of shit, with formulaic, by the numbers delivery to match his formulaic, by the numbers superman character.

Take that back.

You have to look past all that though. Only then will you realize how good Cena really is.

Of course. The only other one that I think compares is HBK's Montreal promo, but that involved some shoot stuff, so I don't think it counts totally.

Kane delivered a promo completely steeped 13 years of kayfabe, and made it absolutely believable, with great delivery, logic, and timing. I was watching it with a group of friends who hadn't seen wrestling since 2001, and they thought it was absolutely fantastic.

I do like how they would the history between the two into that promo, and it should be proof if anything what good, long-term storytelling can accomplish.

Kyoufu

Well said. Cena must be the dullest human being alive.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I haven't ever been the most prolific poster here, but I feel im done with paying active attention to this thread. I like most of you but the conversation is just stifled by no new members ever coming in to break up the monotony of same old shit and me not caring about WWE wrestling very much.

Was fun while it lasted and I hope I still get some low card heel heat when I pop around randomly in the future.

You have to make people care before you can draw heat.

Coming into a thread to say how much you don't care about the thread is the dumb stuff. Complaining that you don't like the conversation instead of trying to change the conversation is also stupid.

Don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That's his penis, not his brain.
I never get this stuff. I mean, honestly. You guys realize that this stuff is fake, right? Cena and Dolph probably discussed what they would talk about together backstage, and they agreed on it. I'm sure if you gave Cena a mic and told him to say what he REALLY felt, then you would have a very different result. Back in 2003-2004, he was cutting great stuff.

This is his CHARACTER. This is how they want him to be. It sucks, but that's it.

strobogo

Banned
Fuck this promo discussion, Ziggler's best skill isn't his selling. It is his bumping. Those are not the same thing. There are a lot of guys that can't bump for shit, but sell great. Ziggler is decent at selling, but amazing at bumping.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I see where Heavy is coming from but I think the dismissive handwaving of all these other excellent talkers chalking it up to "marking out for characters" isn't right. Savage's "I hate Hulk Hogan" 7 minutes of amazing brought it on home. And it wasn't written. It was a set of bullet points, and Savage took it away.

One of the finest. 1:45 and on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilS4L0fpbG0#

G-Fex

I can't watch it here but I agree with him in a way

I miss over exaggerated characters. None of these junk gimmicks lately

Cena doesn't even have a gimmick anymore. He's just a dick

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't watch it here but I agree with him in a way

I miss over exaggerated characters. None of these junk gimmicks lately

Cena doesn't even have a gimmick anymore. He's just a dick
What do you mean you miss exaggerated characters? You just started watching wrestling like a year ago!

Carnby

Oh yeah...

Another good thing about the new Raw 100 blu ray is no blurring of WWF logos or censoring of the word WWF. I assume all new blu ray releases are like this from now on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah...

Another good thing about the new Raw 100 blu ray is no blurring of WWF logos or censoring of the word WWF. I assume all new blu ray releases are like this from now on.

Apparently all are - which is wicked. The blurring was REALLY out of control.

Oh yeah...

It's been like that for a while now, has it not? Either way, I approve.

If they release a WrestleMania blu-ray box set next year with no
logo edits, I will eat that shit up.

Top Bottom