• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

strobogo

Banned
All top level faces are *insert nationality* Cena. It's fucking annoying. Sheamus isn't Irish Cena. Sheamus gets mad, Sheamus gets into brawls, Sheamus loses matches. Sheamus only smirks when he wins or got over on someone. He doesn't smirk and walk off just fine after losing a match. I guess Austin and Rock were basically the same since they made fun of their opponents and didn't lose much.

Ithil

All top level faces are *insert nationality* Cena. It's fucking annoying. Sheamus isn't Irish Cena. Sheamus gets mad, Sheamus gets into brawls, Sheamus loses matches. Sheamus only smirks when he wins or got over on someone. He doesn't smirk and walk off just fine after losing a match. I guess Austin and Rock were basically the same since they made fun of their opponents and didn't lose much.

Sheamus isn't so much Cena now, but there was a period during 2012 where he actually was exactly like Cena, but with an accent. He's transitioned to a different kind of face, still a little dull, but a little more serious (at least for the Big Show feud)and closer to his tough warrior character he used to have. They even had him legitimately act the bigger man and congratulate Show legitimately on winning their feud.

Miz isn't Reality Show Cena, either. Miz is Miz, that's bad enough.

To be like Cena, your gimmick is basically "10 year old boy". Loud, obnoxious, entitled, whiny, tantrum throwing, low attention span, loving stupid humour, especially toilet humour, wearing bright colours, no real complex thoughts, always beating the authority figures (his parents/heels) in his fantasies, unable to take things seriously, everyone but him is a bad guy and he's the good guy no matter how he acts. And so on.

To be like Cena, your gimmick is basically "10 year old boy". Loud, obnoxious, entitled, whiny, tantrum throwing, low attention span, loving stupid humour, especially toilet humour, wearing bright colours, no real complex thoughts, always beating the authority figures (his parents/heels) in his fantasies, unable to take things seriously, everyone but him is a bad guy and he's the good guy no matter how he acts. And so on.

This was Sheamus all over during his title run, but his matches were more fun to watch than Cena's usually.
Punk was too for a brief period of time, thankfully that has been retconned.

McNei1y

Sheamus just needs to stop these two things: A) being a complete asshole and B) brogue kick to win the match. Then I'll like him again. He's a fantastic wrestler and it sucks seeing him written like this.

Anyway, Cesaro spitting fire last night was probably top 3 moment of Raw last night. I'd say:

1. Team Hell No and Rhodes Scholars and Shelby
2. Cesaro spitting fire
3. Wade Barrett winning

Ithil

This was Sheamus all over during his title run, but his matches were more fun to watch than Cena's usually.
Punk was too for a brief period of time, thankfully that has been retconned.

I don't think Punk was ever like that, he was just excessively neutered for a lot of his face run.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk post-MITB was cringeworthy. Still happens to this day, thankfully it's been mitigated a bit due to Heyman.

Sheamus was unbearable for most of 2012, f**k that guy. Ugh.

Big Show dominated him and sent him to the back of the line.

Funnily enough it was Del Rio who beat Big Show despite losing a million matches in a row to Sheamus. I think Del Rio's problem is PPV matches, they always made him look 'strong' on the weekly shows then job him at the PPV, so lucky his title match last week was on SD! :p

The Giant's got this all figured out.

I don't think Punk was ever like that, he was just excessively neutered for a lot of his face run.

It was basically just his shtick against Del Rio and Aces where he turned into a weird childish xenophobe.
Otherwise his only crime was being the least interesting person in all of his feuds.

Ithil

It was basically just his shtick against Del Rio and Aces where he turned into a weird childish xenophobe.
Otherwise his only crime was being the least interesting person in all of his feuds.

Oh yeah, that thing, that was weird. Luckily it lasted like a month, then he was just Punk-lite again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Punk sucked as a face. wreeslegaf was just tip toeing around that fact.

We're all on board. I don't think any of us still like his face work.

How much do I gotta pay to get Hannah Minx in the Divas division? A fortune, right?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Punk was barely a face during his face run. He still said most of the same shit he did as when he was an over heel.

Most of his face run in fact was just him feuding with a bunch of different heels like any face and a pretty bad romance angle that was saved by AJ being crazy and some excellent KANE matches.

BFIB

i haven't watched a RAW since Edge retired, said to myself i would start watching again this year but fuck, the show is atrocius. i'm only entertained by Punk and The Shield, and those guys don't justify sitting 3 hours watching the show.

i'll revert back to watching the PPVs only, since they recap what happened anyways and the in-ring product is much better than the weekly shows.

to wash the bad taste, match of the day:

Owen Hart vs Ultimo Dragon - WAR '92

http://youtu.be/cRaTxhN3mcM

These matches from Japan are great. Stories in the ring, no commentary, and they are a blast to watch.

jmdajr

I have hope for face Del Rio. Please start doing skits of him helping the kids in the Mexican orphanages.

Think I'm kidding? It can work! Character is loaded, he needs to give back to his peoples.

DMczaf

I think what pisses me off the most of that Owen only comes up most of the time in this thread when Cole and King use their Owen Voices for fake ass shit.

Also, the fact that we call it Owen Voice.

Fuck this shit, OWEN LIVES FOREVER.

Mr. Robot

Punk lost all of his appeal when he became a face, i think Bryan stole his thunder during their feuds, i realized that it doesn't matter if Bryan is screaming catchphrases or cutting a misognyist or a serious promo, he always got my attention, coupled with the fact that he was putting great matches every week while Punk seemed to be turning into Alter-Cena, the moment Punk started to do his lazy clotheslines i lost interest on every match he was putting, that's something i normally expect from Orton...

Luckily Heyman came into the picture to make him interesting again, but where does Punk go after his feud with the Rock? the only interesting thing for him would be an Austin feud, or the Undertaker but i dont see the WWE letting him cut his pipebomb promos on him, or Ryback or Sheamus or whoever he feuds with next...

strobogo

Banned
I have hope for face Del Rio. Please start doing skits of him helping the kids in the Mexican orphanages.

Think I'm kidding? It can work! Character is loaded, he needs to give back to his peoples.

It's the best possible way to introduce El Generico.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Punk lost all of his appeal when he became a face, i think Bryan stole his thunder during their feuds, i realized that it doesn't matter if Bryan is screaming catchphrases or cutting a misognyist or a serious promo, he always got my attention, coupled with the fact that he was putting great matches every week while Punk seemed to be turning into Alter-Cena, the moment Punk started to do his lazy clotheslines i lost interest on every match he was putting, that's something i normally expect from Orton...

Luckily Heyman came into the picture to make him interesting again, but where does Punk go after his feud with the Rock? the only interesting thing for him would be an Austin feud, or the Undertaker but i dont see the WWE letting him cut his pipebomb promos on him, or Ryback or Sheamus or whoever he feuds with next...
Am I the only one who thinks Heyman has done very little to make Punk interesting. Punk as a heel would have been just as good without him. Instead, Heyman should be used to be put a young guy over who can't speak very well.

Sokantish

I think what pisses me off the most of that Owen only comes up most of the time in this thread when Cole and King use their Owen Voices for fake ass shit.

Also, the fact that we call it Owen Voice.

Fuck this shit, OWEN LIVES FOREVER.

What is Owen voices?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who thinks Heyman has done very little to make Punk interesting. Punk as a heel would have been just as good without him. Instead, Heyman should be used to be put a young guy over who can't speak very well.

I think Heyman has been able to put over the things Punk hasn't been able to - been bringing some kind of importance to that useless belt, actually giving a shit about results and matches - which is hard to get done in WWE. It's still an uphill battle for him, but...it's somethin.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Punk was barely a face during his face run. He still said most of the same shit he did as when he was an over heel.

Most of his face run in fact was just him feuding with a bunch of different heels like any face and a pretty bad romance angle that was saved by AJ being crazy and some excellent KANE matches.
You're damn right.

Mr. Robot

There aren't any Paul Heyman guys left...

Kyoufu

I'd rather watch face Punk than Kane in 2013.

Nothing against Kane, but he should retire. He's taking up a valuable spot on television.

Same applies to Big Show.

I don't like it when people call it their Owen voices, seems really disrespectful to Owen.

Err, yeah. It's disrespectful of them to use the same solemnity when talking about Cena getting knock out punched or whatever the fuck as when they're talking about an actual human dying. That's the point.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like it when people call it their Owen voices, seems really disrespectful to Owen.

Nothing tops the time AJ was going to jump from the top rope onto a table. They used suicide-voices for that. So pathetic. I wanted to jump up and piss on the commentary table.

McNei1y

I think Heyman has been able to put over the things Punk hasn't been able to - been bringing some kind of importance to that useless belt, actually giving a shit about results and matches - which is hard to get done in WWE. It's still an uphill battle for him, but...it's somethin.

Someone was theorizing that Maddox and Shield work for Heyman... and that when/if Punk loses the belt, he'll send Shield to get Punk and that his reasoning behind it is that he was protecting the title and the fact that Punk was a long time reigning champion, rather than protecting Punk himself.

Top Bottom