• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

In all seriousness I feel that not one single Diva has really made it on her own out there, surpassing WWE success.
Prove me wrong.

What does "Surpassing WWE success" mean? No one has made more money or been more famous outside of wrestling than The Rock, man or woman.

jred2k

So bully ray is Inviting people to a strip club for his bachelor party. Tommy dreamer is going .

Any chance he'll be power-bombing strippers through tables or fighting with their fathers? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my passport and come from Canada. This information is vital to my decision.

jmdajr

What does "Surpassing WWE success" mean? No one has made more money or been more famous outside of wrestling than The Rock, man or woman.

Well yeah, but what have the Divas done. Not that life is all about being a celebrity. I'm sure Molly Holly is happy living a low key live somewhere. But for those who think they can make it big on their own, I don't see one example.

For some being at the top of the WWE .. IS the peak. But I feel many want to use it as a stepping stone to something else.

I don't know, it just be nice to see one break out success story from the Divas.

Mr. Robot

Trish Stratus, doesn't she have some kind of fitness program or something?
and for guys that have done it outside wrestling, Chris Jericho has been doing pretty well...

jmdajr

Kebler has done well for herself.

Yeah, she was on Dancing with the Stars. But she is more famous for fucking someone infinitely more famous than her.

But it's not like say Britney Spears. Anyone nobody with Britney becomes a somebody being with her.

We'll see about life after Clooney.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 7/12/2000

TO THE BACK. Kanyon is telling SMOOTH he got robbed, bro.

Tony and Brain are the only ones on color tonight. The reason was due to a tragic vocal cord injury inflicted upon him during an interview with Scott Steiner.

Tank comes to the ring with 3 Count. We were all robbed of seeing 3 Count perform on Nitro. He's going to guard the stage so no one can interrupt. Too bad he was facing the ramp and didn't think that guys would attack from the other side. Dragons are in the ring and MUTA attacks Tank from behind!

3 Count/Tank Abbott vs Jung Dragons/Great Muta.

What a random fucking match. NJPW or AJPW should totally book this match next month. I don't think anyone besides Jamie-San is doing anything. Disgusting dragon screws from Muta. Fuck. Those looked painful. Muta tried to spit the mist at Tank, but Tank had a circle to block it. Tank punches Yang's face off for the win.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-11h57m35s218_zps86dd03c5.png

TO THE BACK.
BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO. Kanyon gives Cat a copy of his book. He wants a match against Jarrett, but Jeff is booked against Buff tonight. MIA meeting. Stash vs Demon. Perfect Event attack as soon as Stash leaves. Major Gunns hits them both in the balls.

Stevie Ray is now at the announce table. He's replacing Tenay.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-11h59m00s78_zpse560b069.png

Vampiro comes out and has his music cut so God of Thunder can play. I hate this angle so much.

The Demon vs Major Stash.

Stevie Ray can't understand this stupid fucking angle, either. Demon wins with a rock bottom. Which is now called the Love Gun instead of his other move. Lights go out and Aces and 8s Sting is pointing from atop ThunderVision.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-12h04m27s11_zpsdc96d231.png

TO THE BACK. Kidman and Lance head to the ring. Kidman asks of Lance is really going to have the Canadian national anthem play again. Kanyon Kanyon Cuts a security guard. David and Stacy head to the ring area.

Kidman/Lance Storm vs Jindrak/O'Haire

The anthem plays. "This sucka got to be crazy." Kidman has a newspaper and does goofy things behind Lance. Tony says Kidman is being very disrespectful, which he was. Stevie now respects Kidman more because who cares about Canada right now? Crazy double hip toss to Kidman. The fuck. O'Haire does a front flip off the top and lands on his feet. Kidman is bumped into Lance on the apron, which leads to the Seanton Bomb on Kidman for the win. Post match, Lance superkicks Kidman in the nipple.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-12h11m27s78_zps26b672d9.png

TO THE BACK. Vampiro and Demon are saying stupid shit. Vamp says he's going to rip off Sting's mask on Monday. False. Nitro is on Tuesday next week due to the anticipated TV movie, Nuremberg Part II. Gene interviews Vito. The interview continues while David and Stacy watch it on a monitor. Stacy decides she wants the hardcore title and sends David to take it.

David Flair vs Big Vito WCW Hardcore Championship

David beats Vito all the way to the stage. Vito takes control once they get to ringside, but David comes back once they get in the ring. Stacy comes to the ring. Vito hits the Macho Elbow. Vito kisses Stacy, who bit his lip I guess. Vito gets another table that has a leg immediately break while setting up. Vito hits his spinning DDT through it for the win. No good pictures of Stacy, sorry bros.

TO THE BACK. Cat is on the phone when Jeff hangs it up to say he's taking the night off. Buff isn't here, so now he has to work Kanyon.

EARLIER TODAY. The Perfect Event were testing their new posing routine. KANYON CUTTER OUTTA NOWHERE on a guy setting up the ring. I'm not going to gif them all, but at the end of all this I'm going to go back and make a full compilation.

bang-o.gif

The Perfect Event vs MIA

Bleh. Meat hit a huge sit out powerbomb on Hugh out of the corner. Hugh hits the moonsault on Chuck "Columbo", but Meat hit the ref with the Lex Flexxxer. Robinson woke up with Lash holding it, so he DQ'd the MIA.

TO THE BACK. Booker is heading to the ring.

Booker comes out and says he just found out he has to defend his title against Double J at the next PPV. I guess Booker must have left before Nitro was over. Mike Awesome was watching this in the back. He says he'll give everyone a shot that wants one. "You wanna brush up on my wife? Sucka I will KILL YOU!" Rick Steiner comes out. His music has again changed and is now the JHV of Stranglehold. I guess since Scott turned Rick had to turn again, too. Even though he just turned back face. Instead, Rick says that what Scott did was wrong. Rick wishes him luck as champion. SWERVE! Rick attacks from behind. Stevie Ray can't keep his cool and saves Booker. Mike Awesome eventually saves Booker.

TO THE BACK. Daffney and Crowbar get ready. I think Crowbar wants to fuck Daffney. Shane and Torrie also head to the ring. Cat tells Kidman he can get a match with Lance as long as he stays out of Shane's next match.

Shane Douglas/Torrie vs Crowbar/Daffney.

Sound and video are again like 40 seconds off from each other. I don't know why so many of the Thunders have this problem. I'm also watching it slightly sped up to get through it faster. Short cat fight is broken up because of hair pulling I think. Daffney hit a low blow and jawbreaker on Shane. Shane wins with the Franchiser. This is over a minute out of sync. He also Franchised Daffney.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-12h59m23s182_zps17878a40.png

TO THE BACK. Booker wants Rick Steiner, but Cat already booked Rick against Awesome. Kanyon Cutter OUTTA NOWHERE to some guy on the steps outside of the arena. Positivley Kanyon and Tank/3 Count are the best things for sure in WCW.

TO THE INTERVIEW. Tenay asked too many questions to Scott Steiner. Scott particularly had a serious issue with Tenay calling the frankensteiner a hurricanranna. Tenay asks if this anger stemmed from something that happened in his childhood, which led to Steiner choking Tenay.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-13h08m20s196_zps3edfa531.png

TO THE BACK. The Dragons attack Cat. Well, they tried, at least. Didn't really work out for them.

Kidman vs Lance Storm.

Brain tries to put over Lance about how he hears so much about him, but Stevie Ray says he ain't heard a thing about him. He's a pro wrestler in the dressing room and he hasn't heard anyone talk about Lance Storm once. Kidman won when Lance tried to powerbomb him on a chair.

TO THE BACK. Buff finally shows up with his mom, Judy.

vlcsnap-2013-01-15-13h13m06s225_zps9d68ab1b.png

Kanyon shows up and walks off with her, but not before giving the camera a big nod and smile. After a break we find Judy Bagwell on the ground in a neck brace being attented to. I wish we got to see the Kanyon Cutter. Also, Buff's mom drove him to work.

bro-o.gif

Rick Steiner vs Mike Awesome.

Sound is back to normal for me. Mike Awesome turned face mostly because he was hitting on a fat chick and thought it'd look bad to her if he just took the US Championship without earning it. That's what I like to think. Rick had turned face and heel at least 2 times each in the past month. Mike Awesome wins with a roll up, DIVA style. Booker comes out to get his revenge on Rick after the match.

TO THE BACK
. Kanyon and Jeff head to the ring.

Kanyon vs Jeff Jarrett

Harlem Heat on color for this. Jeff hits a DDT on the book which made Bobby say "I've seen the book kill a lot of guys." Lol. Jeff tries a guitar shot, the ref takes it, and Kanyon hits him with the book. But Jeff's foot was on the rope. This is pretty much a normal match. I was hoping for them trying to out heel each other or something. Jeff shoves Stevie Ray and puched Booker. Security came to break it up and Buff attacked Kanyon. Security got rid of him. Kanyon eats the Stroke and Jeff wins.

Current Del Rio= early 2012 A.J. You all have hope because you want to believe that this momentary likability you found in the character will stick around, but his Spanish "jackass" putdowns that seem not so bad now, will make you cringe in a few short months

Well yeah, but what have the Divas done. Not that life is all about being a celebrity. I'm sure Molly Holly is happy living a low key live somewhere. But for those who think they can make it big on their own, I don't see one example.

For some being at the top of the WWE .. IS the peak. But I feel many want to use it as a stepping stone to something else.

I don't know, it just be nice to see one break out success story from the Divas.

Okay gotcha, just the way you phrased it seemed odd because I don't like to think of success in terms of money/fame.

With that said I would give a nod to Trish, as others have mentioned, for seemingly creating a stable business for herself and Lita, who seems to have been smart with her money and owns a couple of homes while playing with a punk band.

But yeah I'll agree that wrestling is a poor path to fame for a lot of the model types that get into it (but still, there are absolutely male models who are failing in the exact same way as the women in the business).

Kaladin

Bryan Alvarez and RD Reynolds announced today on Figure Four Daily that they have signed a deal with ECW Press to write a newly-expanded 10-year anniversary edition of the 2005 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Book of the Year, "The Death of WCW".

The original manuscript was significantly larger than the final product, largely due to the wrestling book market being significantly smaller at the time. Nearly everything that was cut out will be included in the revised edition, plus it will feature tons of quotes from the major players, a look at the ten years following the death of the company, a section debunking criticisms of the first book ("WCW died because of the AOL/Time Warner merger"), THE WOLFPAC, and more.

The book, which will be released in a limited-edition hardcover version as well (Bryan made sure that was in the contract), is expected to be released in mid-2014.

Laserfrog

Just read Ed 'Strangler' Lewis was good friends with J. Edgar Hoover and Hoover told him loads of FBI secrets. Bet no wrestlemen get the scoops like that these days.

I wish ECW Press would pay me to write a book.

strobogo

Banned
Bryan Alvarez and RD Reynolds announced today on Figure Four Daily that they have signed a deal with ECW Press to write a newly-expanded 10-year anniversary edition of the 2005 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Book of the Year, "The Death of WCW".

The original manuscript was significantly larger than the final product, largely due to the wrestling book market being significantly smaller at the time. Nearly everything that was cut out will be included in the revised edition, plus it will feature tons of quotes from the major players, a look at the ten years following the death of the company, a section debunking criticisms of the first book ("WCW died because of the AOL/Time Warner merger"), THE WOLFPAC, and more.

The book, which will be released in a limited-edition hardcover version as well (Bryan made sure that was in the contract), is expected to be released in mid-2014.

I hope they use my reviews for reference!

McNei1y

You guys are blinded by the Ziggles... I know, it's hard to resist the Ziggles but I've managed to do so for this one aspect... Jericho hasn't lost his touch. I swear.

Man, Jericho really left a bad taste in people's mouth on that last run.

Well it's not like he was booked worth a crap.

I really don't know who's to blame for the Punk/Jericho feud falling flat. I think they should have just left the Straight Edge thing alone for face Punk or at least given it to someone who could've used it better.

That feud had a few brief moments of being interesting. I liked when Punk started to tap into the darkside and rub it in Jericho's face that he was never given the top spot the way Punk was and the one time Jericho broke booze over Punk but otherwise it was boring as hell.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't know who's to blame for the Punk/Jericho feud falling flat. I think they should have just left the Straight Edge thing alone for face Punk or at least given it to someone who could've used it better.

That feud had a few brief moments of being interesting. I liked when Punk started to tap into the darkside and rub it in Jericho's face that he was never given the top spot the way Punk was and the one time Jericho broke booze over Punk but otherwise it was boring as hell.

It felt like they shifted gears, hard, midway through it. All of a sudden Jericho brings in Punk's straight edge lifestyle, which hadn't been a talking point of theirs at all, and focused on it. It just...was too much of a shift, out of seemingly nowhere. And keep in mind a couple months ago was when Jericho would come out with his jacket and do nothing - which led to nothing.

It felt like they shifted gears, hard, midway through it. All of a sudden Jericho brings in Punk's straight edge lifestyle, which hadn't been a talking point of theirs at all, and focused on it. It just...was too much of a shift, out of seemingly nowhere. And keep in mind a couple months ago was when Jericho would come out with his jacket and do nothing - which led to nothing.

There was a subtle brilliance in his promos right around the Elimination Chamber, which were all about propping himself up as being all-important for being around longer than the other wrestlers in the match.

Of course he was doing this while sharing a show with The Rock, Undertaker, and Triple H who were doing the exact same thing without any hint of irony.

Your presence is uncalled for yet no one is saying anything.

It's late in the evening; he's wondering what words to type

He turns on his PSP and connects to Mcdonald's free WIFI

And then he tells me, "Does this post look alright?."

And I say, "No, biatch - snitching's the only thing you do right."

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane is the best comedy character in the business today.
Kane can do it all. He can cut any kind of promo necessary, and he can perform in the ring with anyone. Like Vince McMahon said, "If you can't work with Kane, you can't work with anyone."

GGG has stated in interviews that he likes surprising people with what he can do.

strobogo

Banned
I don't know how anyone can hate on 3MB. A goofy heel mid card group with 2 guys who are really good in the ring. That's perfect. Even Jinder is growing on me.

jmdajr

It was supposed to be the wrestling match to end all wrestling matches -- Hulk Hogan vs. John Cena in a battle royale -- but it was all dashed to pieces thanks to some bogus back surgery ... according to Hulk Hogan ... and it cost him $50 MILLION.

TMZ broke the story ... Hulk filed a $50 million lawsuit against the Laser Spine Institute of Florida -- claiming its doctors duped him into undergoing multiple procedures in 2009 that were completely useless and damaged his career.

Hulk doesn't explain why he's suing for $50 million in the lawsuit -- but Hulk's legal team (headed by Wil Florin) tells TMZ, the reason for the massive sum is a lucrative "phase out contract" that was torpedoed by the bad surgeries.

According to Hulk's team, the contract outlined a blowout match between Hulk and Cena -- a match that was supposed to be Hulk's career ender -- but thanks to the surgeries, it never happened.

Hulk's claiming the contract -- along with subsequent appearance opportunities -- was worth $50 million.

LSI has yet to comment on the litigation.

oh noes

article on the rocks "preformance" last night.

Now, is this really what you all want back? Now that you’re older, and (hopefully) wiser, are you really so desperate for the feeling of acceptance outside of a niche group of television viewers that you want The Rock back? Think about the last time you were at a WWE event. Do you think it’s perfectly acceptable for little girls in the audience to see that women in a position of power are only there to be derided? Is that going to inspire something great in them, or make them feel like their limitations in life start at their own gender? Are those little boys going to think a never give up attitude, respect, and loyalty are important values to hold on to, or is he going to look at all of the grown-ups and cool, older kids chanting and being a part of something, and go to school the next day and call one of those little girls a fat hooker cookiepuss? And why not? It made adults laugh and cheer, so why wouldn’t it be cool? Why wouldn’t it be perfectly acceptable to insult a boy by saying he’s just like a girl? That he has Twinkie tits? That he probably can’t see his penis, not because he’s fat, but because he doesn’t have one lol?

This is unacceptable. All of it is. If The Rock wanted to come back, he could have wrestled, he could have called someone out for saying dumb things, he could have pointed out that any of his movies made more money than the Marine or any of its sequels because he’s a real success, and makes real movies for real serious money. But no. We get someone who was never really a great wrestler relying on catchphrases and hashtags because there’s nothing of substance or intelligence to draw from. Because some people just want to feel a part of something bigger than they are again, the rest of us are made to feel small and worthless one more time. It’s disappointing, and it’s demeaning to everyone. To women, to the LGBTQ community, and at the end of the day, it’s insulting to all wrestling fans. The top purveyor of the sport you love thinks you haven’t grown up, you never got a girlfriend, and you never got cool. It thinks you’re stupid and will lap up anything they put out there as long as it’s branded with someone you can feel nostalgic about.

Top Bottom