• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Striker

Unless it's Kane/Taker (and then only for the novelty of seeing them retire together), I don't care. Taker is inconsequential, and the fact that he returns every year just to squash a top star really needs to stop. He's not even a big draw anymore for the event.
I do agree that the undefeated thing needs to stop, and just retire. But he is one of last big draws they have left, and can you really blame for them for ponying up money year after year for bigger names to draw their big PPV's? Asking for trouble if they went in without the likes of Taker, Lesnar, Rock, and so forth. They need to build up their own talent, absolutely, but they've wasted so many years on that it's pathetic.

Enfinit

Last thing dirt sheets had about Macho is that the WWE want him in, but his brother is insisting that he and his father also be inducted, because Macho's dream was that they be inducted as a family, and the WWE is refusing to do that.

Is that true, though? Or is Macho's family just finding a way to go in when they usually wouldn't.

jmdajr

I do agree that the undefeated thing needs to stop, and just retire. But he is one of last big draws they have left, and can you really blame for them for ponying up money year after year for bigger names to draw their big PPV's? Asking for trouble if they went in without the likes of Taker, Lesnar, Rock, and so forth. They need to build up their own talent, absolutely, but they've wasted so many years on that it's pathetic.

Can we list, say... 5 talents WWE wasted over the last 10 years.

Let's go.

Cagey

Banned
Irrelevant to the current convo, but I wound up reading Stroud's work from last week...

I love that Sandow always has to correct people and be the smartest dude in the room, and the subtle touches that reveal to the informed viewer that he’s full of shit. The incorrect Latin for his move names, not really knowing what “systematic desensitization” means, being iffy on his knowledge of Pavlovian theory … it all adds to the tapestry. He’s that friend of yours who thinks he knows everything but pronounces “archetype” as “artch-type.”

I wonder if he realizes how well that describes him.

McNei1y

I could see them coming out and clearing the ring. The next entrant would be Ryback, then Shameus and Orton follow. The promo video they played for The Shield on Raw was really trying to play up them having a lot of enemies. WWE has got to do something soon to get them in to matches.

Everything around Ryback losing to Punk is taking a long time to play out. HIAC was in October and Mad Ox has barely progressed at all.

This could potentially work. But I also think that once the Shield enter, they'll be targeted by everyone in the ring... but I do hope they clear out the ring and then these three guys come in and eliminate them.

Yeah, let's see what Heyman has in store for The Mad Ox. He really needs to be on the screen more.

Sheamus will probably eliminate Orton to further the heel turn where Orton turns heel even though Sheamus is the one being a dick.

hahahaha totally.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Can't say I agree.

You're just mad that little Brother Kane never reached such heights! It's ok...

I understand.
He's a decent draw, but not worth the talent killing that he does. WM last year would have done just as well with or without him. Rock/Cena was the draw, and it'll be the draw this year.
I wouldn't mind him if he stuck around and the WM match had some consequence, but showing up, beating someone, then everyone acting like nothing happened afterwards is useless.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Is that the case with Sammartino too? I read that his family doesn't want him inducted or some shit like that.

How is Drew Carey in the HoF and Sammartino and Macho aren't.
Sammartino is still alive, and he hates Vince's guts, so he refuses to go in.

Toki767

Is that the case with Sammartino too? I read that his family doesn't want him inducted or some shit like that.

How is Drew Carey in the HoF and Sammartino and Macho aren't.

Sammartino is still alive...he doesn't want to go in.

But Triple H is just a lump of fat at this point.

How will they even do that and not make it seem like the dumbest shit ever?

The way every HHH match goes nowadays I guess. No DQ followed by a sledgehammer.

Enfinit

So whats Bork doing at Mania?

Seems like its ether Punk vs Taker or Brock vs Taker.

If Punk is fighting taker then what will Brock do?
I wouldn't trust Bork with Taker, but that seems like the most likely scenario. I'd love to see Bork vs. Ryback just because it would be such a turd of a match it would be entertaining. Hoping for Punk vs. Taker though.

What a year (a little over) for Punk. Multitude A+ (questionable) matches with Cena, Wrestlemania against Chris Jericho, feud with the most over guy in the WWE (Ryback), match with The Rock at the Rumble, Internet mini-fued with Stone Cold that's got the whole IWC's panties wet, and now a rumored match with Taker and WM29.

The guy's literally faced every hard-hitter as the WWE Champion and he's still not the face of the company.

EDIT: Sucks for Sammartino. I know he's still alive, just wish Vince and Bruno would stop cockblocking each other.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was horrible, and it didn't make him a star. Outraged wrestling fans flooding RAW the next night and turning it into a de facto Daniel Bryan protest made him a star.

I think it's too much to assume WWE had the foresight to predict all of that.

But look, check it - it gave all people who were lukewarm or not completely behind this guy, it gave them a reason, a motivation to champion Bryan as their dude - and it worked. I was medium on Bryan for a long time, but the undeniable crowd response post-mania (especially that Raw right after...fucking WOW) gave people an attachment they WANTED to have. Fuckin genius man...can't doubt Vince! Well...his track record is poor but in this case, whoever made the choice to job out Bryan...they had it. They're the conductor, and the audience was the orchestra.

Toki767

Taker's been on record as saying that he doesn't care about the streak and couldn't give a shit if it ended. The only problem is, who'd be worthy enough to end it.

Not Cena.

Definitely Kane.

After Cena beats Rock at Mania for the title the only other thing left for him to get over is by beating Undertaker the year after.

jmdajr

He's a decent draw, but not worth the talent killing that he does. WM last year would have done just as well with or without him. Rock/Cena was the draw, and it'll be the draw this year.
I wouldn't mind him if he stuck around and the WM match had some consequence, but showing up, beating someone, then everyone acting like nothing happened afterwards is useless.
The matches are entertaining. At least to me. People here just hate that the last to were against HHH. Everybody was cool with Edge, Batista HBK, etc.
It's true.

Striker

Let's go.
Guys who should be/have been bigger than the WWE got them out to be?

- Bryan Danielson
- Dolph Ziggler
- Shelton Benjamin (weak mic skills but get a manager)
- Booker T (perennial midcarder until his King gimmick)
- Evan Bourne

Throw in RVD if you want.

Half of those of which are probably because of Triple H's dire ego, the others perhaps because they neglected to push many faces not named Cena, Batista, and Triple H for a good portion of those year.

Taker needs to go just like Hunter needs to. Taker, at least, helps some buyrates I'm sure but going over talent time after time just gets tiring, and there comes a point it has to stop anyways.

Its funny this will be my GFs first RR match and I was really hoping they'd play those 'by the numbers' promo things they played non stop in the last few years. They're really good/interesting until you've seen them so much then its just like hurry up, but cause she was new I thought it would be cool.

So of course just cause I wanted it now they don't show one this year (so far anyway) lol. :|

Hopefully at the PPV.

Let's go.

Well that really depends on how you look at things. Some guys didn't get very good until after they left (MVP), some guys didn't mesh well/got worse after arriving in the WWE (Sin Cara), some guys have the talent but didn't work out for other reasons (Low Ki), some people are still with the company and may still get a shot despite being mishandled so far (Tyson, Tensai, Jinder, Yoshi Tatsu, JTG, etc.)

I'd say once you remove those factors my list would look something like:
Harry Smith
Luke Gallows
Colt Cabana
London/Kendrick
Amazing Kong

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So here's a good question:

Through time and space, what era and federation had the hypest as fuck crowd? Please support your choice with video of a crazy-ass pop!

I'm going with early 80s WCCW - hooooly shit they got wild!

Hot tag at 4:45 - gooooood damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJjb57Q0zSs

Omega

Banned
Taker's been on record as saying that he doesn't care about the streak and couldn't give a shit if it ended. The only problem is, who'd be worthy enough to end it.

Not Cena.

Definitely Kane.

doesn't surprise me. it was obvious the whole 20-0 was purely for marketing. The DVD came out like a week after WM.

but it's obvious Cena is going to be the one to do it. He's done everything there is to do in WWE besides beat Taker at WM and win a divas title. The latter being impossible unless this was TNA

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The matches are entertaining. At least to me. People here just hate that the last to were against HHH. Everybody was cool with Edge, Batista HBK, etc.
It's true.
Everyone was cool with them because they mattered. It actually led to some development storyline wise. He stuck around afterwards and those matches had consequence. What is beating Punk going to do for Taker, and what's losing to Taker going to do for Punk?

Like I've said before, even the buildup is predictable. Punk will deliver some pseudo shoot promo about how Taker held him down and that his time is up, and his real name is Mark or some garbage like that. Taker will send some creepy video, then deliver some slow prodding promo about being the last outlaw, and Punk is just another punk at his yard, etc.

Hightower

Banned
So whats Bork doing at Mania?

Seems like its ether Punk vs Taker or Brock vs Taker.

If Punk is fighting taker then what will Brock do?

It's Brock and Hunter... again.

I'd like to think that Punk vs Taker will happen after Punk retains by some screwy manner at the Rumble.

Then he'll weasel his way out of the Chamber match with the belt as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Harry Smith
Luke Gallows
Colt Cabana
London/Kendrick
Amazing Kong

Good list, but I'd dump london/kendrick for what they've been doing with Tatsu. Since forever.

Enfinit

doesn't surprise me. it was obvious the whole 20-0 was purely for marketing. The DVD came out like a week after WM.

but it's obvious Cena is going to be the one to do it. He's done everything there is to do in WWE besides beat Taker at WM and win a divas title. The latter being impossible unless this was TNA

Cena's not worthy. I think Cena even knows this.

jmdajr

Well that really depends on how you look at things. Some guys didn't get very good until after they left (MVP), some guys didn't mesh well/got worse after arriving in the WWE (Sin Cara), some guys have the talent but didn't work out for other reasons (Low Ki), some people are still with the company and may still get a shot despite being mishandled so far (Tyson, Tensai, Jinder, Yoshi Tatsu, JTG, etc.)

Harry Smith
Luke Gallows
Colt Cabana
London/Kendrick
Amazing Kong

Guess I should have said Rock/Cena level but sure. They have wasted supporting talent.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Punk / Taker is just a stop gap until the inevitable Cena/Taker.

I am cool with it.
What would be the point of that, though? We know who's going to win, we know the buildup, and we know that the aftermath won't matter, except it'll be Taker's last match.

How do punk/taker get a build though. Is punk going to call taker out? Is taker responsible for the lights going out when the shield invade?

Seems rather pointless.

They are better off having punk/lesnar at this point

Good list, but I'd dump london/kendrick for what they've been doing with Tatsu. Since forever.

In general they don't let Japanese wrestlers have much of a shot, but until Yoshi Tatsu get's FE'd I can't say they've completely mishandled him as some guys can stick around for years before getting a push.

I would almost add Tajiri to my list but that is more because I'd have personally pushed him more, he had a decent enough career for a reasonably long time.

Omega

Banned
Cena's not worthy. I think Cena even knows this.

I agree.

Unfortunately I don't think Vince sees it that way, nor does Cena. The guy knows he's bigger than WWE no matter how many bullshit promos he and HHH do and say "no one is bigger than this business"

it seems like the dude has a massive ego and acts like everyone is beneath him. Maybe he's actually just selling that in promos, but considering this guy never sells anything I'm inclined to believe he's just like HHH

Kyoufu

How do punk/taker get a build though. Is punk going to call taker out? Is taker responsible for the lights going out when the shield invade?

Seems rather pointless.

They are better off having punk/lesnar at this point

Remember when Vince said he'll strip Punk of the title if Shield interfere?

Taker will have them interfere.

Punk gets stripped of the title. Goes after Taker.

do not want

Hightower

Banned

Let's go.

In no particular order

1. Goldberg.
They had all the opportunity to make him into a huge force.
But, they decided to make him HHH's bitch.

2. Paul Burchill
He had a world of potential. For god's sakes, he made a PIRATE gimmick work.

Then he came back with his "sister" and went.. well nowhere.

3. Colt Cabana
They had no clue what to do with him. None.
Could have been a huge comedic babyface and they just wasted him.

4. The Nexus
This is kind of cheating. but they had potential to do something special with this angle and they just let it fizzle out after Cenar ran through them all.

5. Muhammed Hassan
They pussed out under media pressure instead of attempting to push the envelope to make a social commentary.

jmdajr

I was going to watch Zero Dark Thirty and Argo but I already knew the ending so why bother.

Really if Punk is that good he will figure out a way to build it. The build and the actual match can be good. Why not even give it a chance? Who knows, maybe they will fail, but I'm not assuming it will suck JUST cause Taker will win.

Toki767

I'd say they even wasted Kurt Angle the same way they're wasting Bryan. Both of them are too good at comedy that that's the only way Vince wants to book them.

Then there's Christian who had an even rivalry with Orton a couple years ago even though Orton won all their matches.

Also Matt Hardy who continued to be one of the most popular people on the roster even though they continually tried to bury him.

Jeff Hardy was even more over for years before they gave him a main event run and even then he's probably the only guy that Vince decided to make a main eventer on sheer popularity alone.

Top Bottom