• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Aiii

So not worth it
So, this really weird thing on Smackdown is happening where they edited the audio or something during
The Rock's promo
, it's in the middle of when he says
shove it straight up your candy ass
. Where the part
candy ass
is somehow completely different in tone than the rest of what he says. It reminds me of when Lillian accidently didn't said someone elses name instead of Zack Ryder's and they took the audio from when she announced his win and pasted it in his entrance announcement.

Same thing here, I don't know if he mispoke or said something different in error, since it doesn't show his mouth when it happens but a reaction shot of
Punk
instead right when it happens.

But I rewinded it a couple of times, it sounds fucking horrible, what a terrible effort.

Do these betting sites have an actual list? What I mean is, are these spoilers? Which is OK, some big surprises...

It's not an actual list, Evan Bourne is still at home with his broken foot, he'll never be in there, whoever is betting on that is an idiot.

AJ being in the Rumble would be fun and make some sense as they like to have a woman in there every now and then. Have her skip around, jump on Kane and eliminate him with Ziggler or something... I would enjoy that greatly

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not an actual list, Evan Bourne is still at home with his broken foot, he'll never be in there, whoever is betting on that is an idiot.

AJ being in the Rumble would be fun and make some sense as they like to have a woman in there every now and then. Have her skip around, jump on Kane and eliminate him with Ziggler or something... I would enjoy that greatly

Weird, seemed oddly specific for some of those entries.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BjpJKbg.png

Cesaro Each Way!!!

Where on earth did they pick some of those names from?

gurudyne

I could see them giving Orton the nod even though it'd be god awful. Then end up with Orton vs
Sheamus
for the WHC as has been rumored for a few weeks.

If the rumors are true and they aren't willing to push him due to wellness violations, why would they give him a Rumble win? That's practically a two month iron clad with the promise of some followup spotlight.

Bowser

If the rumors are true and they aren't willing to push him due to wellness violations, why would they give him a Rumble win? That's practically a two month iron clad with the promise of some followup spotlight.

If they're just going to live in fear of Orton having a third strike, what's the point of keeping him around? I'm not an Orton fan, but I can admit that he's still a draw. No point in letting him wallow around with no direction.

strobogo

Banned
If they're just going to live in fear of Orton having a third strike, what's the point of keeping him around? I'm not an Orton fan, but I can admit that he's still a draw. No point in letting him wallow around with no direction.

Is he a draw or is he just over?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

He can QUICKLY be a draw if WWE books him right. I wouldn't be surprised if it went:

"Hey Randy, we're testing you right now. You pass, show us you're interested in being in THIS BUSINESS for the long term, and we'll put you in a heel program against face ADR and have you go over on the rumble"

Of course this is fantasy booking, but a great heel (which Orton has proved he's capable of being) can really elevate the face - which ADR needs as he starts to cement his face persona.

Nebula

If he does get the third strike, surely they could put someone over massively if they allow Orton one last match before he goes on his way. You're right though. Tip toeing about him isn't the way to go.

McNei1y

We need Heel Orton and we need him in a great feud. He's got the talent... But these random matches aren't helping us at all. He's a top tier guy not doing squat.

Bowser

He can QUICKLY be a draw if WWE books him right. I wouldn't be surprised if it went:

"Hey Randy, we're testing you right now. You pass, show us you're interested in being in THIS BUSINESS for the long term, and we'll put you in a heel program against face ADR and have you go over on the rumble"

Of course this is fantasy booking, but a great heel (which Orton has proved he's capable of being) can really elevate the face - which ADR needs as he starts to cement his face persona.

Agree with this. Should have said "can still be a draw." He's definitely over, moreso as a heel, but not so bad as a face either. It's weird because he literally hasn't really had a program/feud in months so he's been lost in the shuffle. But I like Sunflower's idea, I'd rather them do a heel Orton vs face ADR rather than heel Orton vs face Sheamus.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We need Heel Orton and we need him in a great feud. He's got the talent... But these random matches aren't helping us at all. He's a top tier guy not doing squat.

Thing is his character is NOT suited for stop-start-stop storylines - he needs a solid program for 3 or more consistent months - through Mania. He's fortunate as hell he's still over with the crowd, but he's a believable heel who can do a lot of dastardly things.

Needs to be careful if he is going the route with ADR though - while it might be a good heel technique to try to smear Del Rio's name in the mud or his heritage, you do it in the wrong places (ala West Texas Rednecks) and you'll get cheered instead of booed.

Agree with this. Should have said "can still be a draw." He's definitely over, moreso as a heel, but not so bad as a face either. It's weird because he literally hasn't really had a program/feud in months so he's been lost in the shuffle. But I like Sunflower's idea, I'd rather them do a heel Orton vs face ADR rather than heel Orton vs face Sheamus.

Heel Orton vs Face Sheamus wouldn't be very interesting at all to me, plus I feel like we've seen it even though we haven't. I'm having some serious Sheamus fatigue, heh

strobogo

Banned
Orton is the only guy that Sheamus didn't have chemistry with in the past 2 years. I'd rather see Claudio involved with one of them instead.

Orton will win rumble in my opinion.

Either that ooooor, Cena stops Rock winning title. Cena wins Rumble, Rock demands a shot and its a triple threat at Mania. Punk Vs Cena Vs Rock.

Whatever happens I am excited! But I know come the end of the Rumble I will be disappointed :p

gurudyne

Heel Orton vs Face Sheamus wouldn't be very interesting at all to me, plus I feel like we've seen it even though we haven't. I'm having some serious Sheamus fatigue, heh

Probably because Face Sheamus doesn't exist, except in Vince (and his twin mouthpieces') minds. I think Heel Orton versus Tweener Sheamus would be some fun--watching two asshole brawlers trying to one up each other in smug pranks/vendettas that eventually turns into blood filled hatred-fueled beatdowns is compelling TV so long as one of them is sort of likeable. Make Sheamus the more noble of the two ("Aye loike fightin'" in a good natured bar brawler kind of way where everyone who's manly enough shakes afterward and gets drunk recounting the stories of bar brawls long past, versus Orton's "You stepped on my foot? *RKO a grandmother onto concrete* Hah.") and you've got it. Yeah, I know that's what they are now, but it isn't really. Both of their characterizations suck due to booking and framing by commentary.

Just keep the mic out of Sheamus' hands so he doesn't come off like a racist imbecile, keep King and Cole from praising him as the Second Coming and the feud can be a draw. For smarks I mean--marks are drawn to whatever King and Cole tell them to be drawn to it seems like.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To me the Rumble hinges on where the feud is going to be - if Rock takes Punk's title and the focus will be on the WWE Championship, then the Rumble winner will be someone with a stake in that.

If Punk doesn't drop the title, the Rumble winner could very well be someone lower-tier...and the more I think about it the more options there are, so forget it, heh.

Bowser

To me the Rumble hinges on where the feud is going to be - if Rock takes Punk's title and the focus will be on the WWE Championship, then the Rumble winner will be someone with a stake in that.

If Punk doesn't drop the title, the Rumble winner could very well be someone lower-tier...and the more I think about it the more options there are, so forget it, heh.

We all know that Zigger is gonna enter #1, Cena is gonna enter #27-30, it'll be Zigger vs Cena at the end, 5 MOD, AA out of the ring, YOUR 2013 ROYAL RUMBLE WINNER JEEEEERRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNN CEEEENNNNNNNAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

john-cena-point1.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm banking on John Cena winning.

I'D STAKE MY LIFE ON IT (death via Professor Beef)

And your choice? Dane Amborse?

If we both lose our bets we both lose our avs.

No my choice is Ryback. If we both loose tho, nothing happens. If you win, I have to refer to Ambrose and Amblows and use a Batista avatar until after Wrestlemania. If I win, you wear an Ambrose Avatar

strobogo

Banned
Probably because Face Sheamus doesn't exist, except in Vince (and his twin mouthpieces') minds. I think Heel Orton versus Tweener Sheamus would be some fun--watching two asshole brawlers trying to one up each other in smug pranks/vendettas that eventually turns into blood filled hatred-fueled beatdowns is compelling TV so long as one of them is sort of likeable. Make Sheamus the more noble of the two ("Aye loike fightin'" in a good natured bar brawler kind of way where everyone who's manly enough shakes afterward and gets drunk recounting the stories of bar brawls long past, versus Orton's "You stepped on my foot? *RKO a grandmother onto concrete* Hah.") and you've got it. Yeah, I know that's what they are now, but it isn't really. Both of their characterizations suck due to booking and framing by commentary.

Just keep the mic out of Sheamus' hands so he doesn't come off like a racist imbecile, keep King and Cole from praising him as the Second Coming and the feud can be a draw. For smarks I mean--marks are drawn to whatever King and Cole tell them to be drawn to it seems like.

Do you not remember when that feud happened and it sucked?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No my choice is Ryback. If we both loose tho, nothing happens. If you win, I have to refer to Ambrose and Amblows and use a Batista avatar until after Wrestlemania. If I win, you wear an Ambrose Avatar

Ryback against Cena. Alright. I'm in! *shakes hand*

Watch Ambrose win :/

And you get Batista in a swimsuit!

This rumble should be used to build up a new big star, like what they wanted to do with ADR in 2011 before screwing it up.
Sheamus and Orton can fight each other without the need of a title in a straight up grudge match, keep the WHC on ADR and have someone like Barrett (Bias alert!) or Ziggler win the rumble.
In the case of Ziggles already being MitB Ziggler and not needing the rumble for a title match consider that he could lose his title match at WM in a close fought battle and then cowardly cash in during the post match celebration, it would be top heel stuff.

Or you know Cena can win.
ifjHJppyxVyoq.gif

Bowser

This rumble should be used to build up a new big star, like what they wanted to do with ADR in 2011 before screwing it up.
Sheamus and Orton can fight each other without the need of a title in a straight up grudge match, keep the WHC on ADR and have someone like Barrett (Bias alert!) or Ziggler win the rumble.
In the case of Ziggles already being MitB Ziggler and not needing the rumble for a title match consider that he could lose his title match at WM in a close fought battle and then cowardly cash in during the post match celebration, it would be top heel stuff.

Or you know Cena can win.
ifjHJppyxVyoq.gif

I don't think Ziggles needs a Rumble win. I'd be fine with him having a great showing, which I think he's primed to do with him being (most likely) the first guy in. I think he'll be in the final four.

If they're going to take the title off Punk, I wouldn't mind if Punk ended up entering in the #25-30 range and ended up winning. That way you'd have the EC match with Rock (if you wanted to "save" him from injury just have him be the last guy to enter), Cena, Punk, Bryan (?), Kane (?), Ziggler (?) and then Punk/Rock at WM. I realize it's a pipe dream, and Punk definitely doesn't need a Rumble win to elevate him or anything, but you could have it add to his "BITW" shtick and I'd love to see them stretch Punk/Rock out all the way to WM.

You mean like Cena?

I don't think Ziggles needs a Rumble win. I'd be fine with him having a great showing, which I think he's primed to do with him being (most likely) the first guy in. I think he'll be in the final four.

If they're going to take the title off Punk, I wouldn't mind if Punk ended up entering in the #25-30 range and ended up winning. That way you'd have the EC match with Rock (if you wanted to "save" him from injury just have him be the last guy to enter), Cena, Punk, Bryan (?), Kane (?), Ziggler (?) and then Punk/Rock at WM. I realize it's a pipe dream, and Punk definitely doesn't need a Rumble win to elevate him or anything, but you could have it add to his "BITW" shtick and I'd love to see them stretch Punk/Rock out all the way to WM.
True that Ziggler doesn't quite need one, honestly I was just choosing someone who people here think is primed for the big time.
At least it would be a first for Punk, repeat rumble winners feels wasteful and in the case of Cena and Orton they've been at the top of the card for years so it just comes across as even more pointless for them.

zychi

Banned

no need for punk to win rumble if rock takes his title. he gets a rematch clause, or maybe punk can exploit cena's 45 rematch clauses and get a few too.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've broken my silence here just to let you know

Cena isn't winning the Rumble

Ziggler is...sorta. It's 2 plans:

#1. Ziggs wins the Rumble ala HBK. Ziggs /Del Rio for the WHC at Mania using the Royal Rumble shot. Ziggs loses, attacks Del Rio with the case after the match then cashes in and wins.

plan 2 is Ziggs to cash in on the WHC match winner as soon as the match is over cementing his Stealing The Show gimmick. He already stole the girlfriend.

Bowser

no need for punk to win rumble if rock takes his title. he gets a rematch clause, or maybe punk can exploit cena's 45 rematch clauses and get a few too.

Of course his rematch clause would only be used at EC though. Unless a WHC guy wins the Rumble and they just keep the Rock/Punk feud going.

Sadly, I think WWE is setting this up to be Cena's big "redemption" year. He had "the worst year of his life" this past year (losing to Rock, losing his MitB cash in to Punk, losing multiple title matches that he didn't deserve) so this year he's going to be "the man" (winning the Rumble, beating Rock for the title at WM, main eventing and "lol i win"-ing all his PPV matches for the rest of the year)

I've broken my silence here just to let you know

Cena isn't winning the Rumble

Ziggler is...sorta. It's 2 plans:

#1. Ziggs wins the Rumble ala HBK. Ziggs /Del Rio for the WHC at Mania using the Royal Rumble shot. Ziggs loses, attacks Del Rio with the case after the match then cashes in and wins.

plan 2 is Ziggs to cash in on the WHC match winner as soon as the match is over cementing his Stealing The Show gimmick. He already stole the girlfriend.

That first idea sounds AMAZING.

Rewatched the Manami Toyota vs Toshiyo Yamada, hair vs hair match from 1992, which is one of Dave Meltzer's 5 star rated matches and the best match he says he has ever seen live. It doesn't quite hold up by today's standards, and even at the time it wasn't the best of AJW in 1992, but the sheer emotion of the match as these two tag team partners battle it out more than carries things along. Toyota had an infuriating habit of forgetting to sell limb work that you never would see from the likes of Akira Hokuto. It's especially evident here as Yamada works over the leg for a good 5 minutes in the middle, only for Toyota to shrug it off entirely for the finishing stretch. But, it's a killer finishing stretch nonetheless, and all the false-finishes build the crowd to a frenzy, as they don't want to see either girl lose her hair (a stipulation AJW placed great emphasis on as the worst possible outcome of a match). The build up to this match saw Toyota playing the heel, as when she failed to beat Yamada in their previous singles encounter, she snapped and demanded the hair vs hair match against her own partner. The post-match stuff plays off of this, and it is one of the most emotional scenes you'll see in wrestling, as
Toyota tries to cut her own hair as penance for winning the match and desperately tries to stop officials from shaving Yamada bald. Manami snaps when she realises what she's done, and that her own partner and best friend has to lose her hair because Manami couldn't take the fact that she was previously unable to beat her. There was no reason for the hair vs hair stipulation, other than to satisfy Manami's ego, and even though Toyota regrets her actions and realises she's entirely at fault, Yamada insists on going through with the stipulation as the crowd chants for her to be spared

Manami Toyota (c) vs Toshiyo Yamada - IWA World Women's Championship, Hair vs Hair Match - (AJW 08/15/92)

strobogo

Banned
I can't believe that WWE.com gets away with having such terrible video quality. Everything is always so shitty looking and choppy. I wouldn't expect them to have 1080p or anything, but almost everything they put up can be found in better quality on Youtube if they haven't taken it down. I was going to watch a Rumble or two, but the quality is so shitty I'm just going to take a nap instead. It's like watching a 20 second clip on Real Player in 1997. They even do that to the clips from the weekly shows that are in HD to begin with.

Top Bottom