• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Ithil

Posted in the Rumble thread, but on the topic of quitting:

The thing is, the likes of Rock/Cena II so Cena can have the biggest win on the biggest stage so he can...be Cena some more is the kind of thing that would legitimately make me stop watching.

I won't stop watching because people I am attached to and whose careers I want to follow are in WWE, that being the likes of Daniel Bryan (I will not be happy until he is given the WWE title, no one in the company deserves it more), Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler and AJ Lee, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Wade Barrett, all the terrific guys in NXT, and even guys like Alberto Del Rio have me invested now.

I quit watching for five years, from 2005 to 2010. That was because no one was really drawing me to the program, I was bored of it, so I let it go and vaguely kept up with major events and watched a Rumble here and there, and some WM. I looked back in at the start of 2011, but what got me truly hooked was CM Punk's Summer of Punk II. It sure as shit wasn't John Cena!

This endless push of Cena is actually suffocating for the product. They have all these great guys that I want to follow, but this shadow of Cena kills the potential love for the product I could have. It's a real bind.

RoTDz7B.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Speaking of Kane, what was your reaction when Kane started talking about his big penis?
I'm just glad he made it official.

Wait, not glad, I mean, you know. I mean, we all knew it, right? 36 inches and all, right?

Look . . . . . . . . . I'm just saying.

somedevil

The thing is, the likes of Rock/Cena II so Cena can have the biggest win on the biggest stage so he can...be Cena some more is the kind of thing that would legitimately make me stop watching.

I won't stop watching because people I am attached to and whose careers I want to follow are in WWE, that being the likes of Daniel Bryan (I will not be happy until he is given the WWE title, no one in the company deserves it more), Antonio Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler and AJ Lee, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Wade Barrett, all the terrific guys in NXT, and even guys like Alberto Del Rio have me invested now.

I quit watching for five years, from 2005 to 2010. That was because no one was really drawing me to the program, I was bored of it, so I let it go and vaguely kept up with major events and watched a Rumble here and there, and some WM. I looked back in at the start of 2011, but what got me truly hooked was CM Punk's Summer of Punk II. It sure as shit wasn't John Cena!

This endless push of Cena is actually suffocating for the product. They have all these great guys that I want to follow, but this shadow of Cena kills the potential love for the product I could have. It's a real bind.

Agree Cena is the main problem with the product right now. It seems like Triple H is building good talent again after them being thin for a good time. The problem is for them to truly blossom they need Cena to stop hogging it all. He is the modern day Hogan.

Was tonight just a surprise return for Jericho, or is he back on the roster for a couple of months? He was in there quite a while for just a one night return.

Kyoufu

Agree Cena is the main problem with the product right now. It seems like Triple H is building good talent again after them being thin for a good time. The problem is for them to truly blossom they need Cena to stop hogging it all. He is the modern day Hogan.

We've been saying this for how many years now?

Kaladin

Ryback kind of got Lesnared tonight. Super huge push....even surviving matches with Punk, but once he faces Cena he is barely competition.

I would actually like to see a Ryback vs Cena match in a year's time or so though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You do realise nobody gives a shit about Punk now right? They killed the feud by having him lose to The Part-Timer's Elbow.

Well, their excitement level is at the same as when he held the championship for a year. So...not that much.

Yeah, Rock could have just won clean. As it is Punk gets a reason to act outraged. That's why it happened.

Rock winning clean with a great knock down drag out mess of a match would've been 100x better than the anticlimactic nonsense we got. Not feeling it at all. I'd honestly rather The Shield stipulation NEVER being there, them interfering, Orton & Friends saving the match, everything gets destroyed, back to Rock/Punk and let it finish with a huge Rock Bottom.

Just....yuck @ that PPV.

Kyoufu

This is absurd. He got cheered over the fucking Rock for most he match and lost to a move that has won countless belts.

Punk lost to a Hollywood star.

It didn't hurt Cena but it hurts Punk's legitimacy as a champion. 430 days or so of being the "Best in the World" except Rock comes in and buries him.

Yeah. Fuck this company.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You know what? WM should just be 5 hours of Kane sitting in the ring talking about his penis. Occasionally, show AJ in the back nodding her head and taking notes.

You want to draw in casuals? That'll do it!

Ryback kind of got Lesnared tonight. Super huge push....even surviving matches with Punk, but once he faces Cena he is barely competition.

It was only a Rumble meeting, and for a few minutes at that. It doesn't really mean anything. It's on par with Maven/Undertaker in the grand scheme of things.

Rock winning clean with a great knock down drag out mess of a match would've been 100x better than the anticlimactic nonsense we got. Not feeling it at all. I'd honestly rather The Shield stipulation NEVER being there, them interfering, Orton & Friends saving the match, everything gets destroyed, back to Rock/Punk and let it finish with a huge Rock Bottom.

Just....yuck @ that PPV.

Well that's fine, but the reason it happened was to give Punk's character to maintain his dignity and not admit he lost to the better man. It's fairly obvious. This way Rock won clean without the heel having to admit weakness.

I'd rather they unify under a classic WWE design.

Big gold belt ain't Vinnie's creation and thus is clearly inferior
The only reason I could see WWE keeping the Big Gold Belt is because it is arguably the most recognizable championship in wrestling. I mean how many times have you seen pro athletes with the belt?

aaron-rodgers1.jpg

tumblr_lgo81wB0bi1qbxpouo1_400.jpg

Punk lost to a Hollywood star.

It didn't hurt Cena but it hurts Punk's legitimacy as a champion. 430 days or so of being the "Best in the World" except Rock comes in and buries him.

Yeah. Fuck this company.

The a rock is an 8 time champion and was the face of the company for forever. You are being ridiculous acting like losing to him is something that is going to hurt Punk. Him losing to ANYBODY else would be worse. Stop being a mark who thinks results matter.

It's a program we'll be seeing sometime this year....probably Summerslam time.

Possibly. But you can't really take their RR meeting into consideration. They were the last two, and Cena fumbled Ryback over the top rope. That's hardly decisive of anything regarding who would beat who in an actual match.

mrboo001

Banned

I'm in the same boat. I only started watching since 2012 Rumble (seen 2011's then dropped off again. Missed summer of punk :( ) and I can see the Post Cena/Vince future and it is wonderful.... sadly it will take another 5-10 years to get there...

Last PPV until after Westlremania or I get a job (finished my degree in December :D )

Jitters

You think if it were around in the day, wrasslegaf would bitch as much when Hogan won everything as much as they do when Cena wins?

Top Bottom