• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Kyoufu

This, gentlemen, is called "overreacting."

Quiet, Twinkie Tits. :p

I'm not overreacting. I just happen to live in 2013 where even if I'm the biggest Punk fan, I'm still largely unimpressed by this "DQ" booking to win a match as a champion.

If you're the WWE Champion and call yourself the "Best in the World" then you shouldn't be using a bunch of NXT goons and other cowardly ways to win a match.

I'm sorry but that is not how you book any champion. Face or heel.

Punk can't even turn face because people think he's a joke.

Face it, Punk looks really weak to the average audience.

2422634-cmpunk_super.jpeg

Well that's fine, but the reason it happened was to give Punk's character to maintain his dignity and not admit he lost to the better man. It's fairly obvious. This way Rock won clean without the heel having to admit weakness.

I don't....even care about that stuff any more. I literally don't care about protecting guys with these convoluted endings because they NEVER capitalize on the reasoning anyway. All I want are good shows. At this point, if they scrapped overarching storylines in favor of making every show as exciting as they could be with one offs, I'd love it.

You think if it were around in the day, wrasslegaf would bitch as much when Hogan won everything as much as they do when Cena wins?

Hogan sucked so yes.

I'm not overreacting. I just happen to live in 2013 where even if I'm the biggest Punk fan, I'm still largely unimpressed by this "DQ" booking to win a match as a champion.

If you're the WWE Champion and call yourself the "Best in the World" then you shouldn't be using a bunch of NXT goons and other cowardly ways to win a match.

Wrestling is based on a foundation of heels cheating to win until a hero overcomes and beats him. When heels dominate babyfaces it does nobody any favours.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rock/Cena II isn't about Cena winning again on the biggest stage, no new era...

It's just good business. People pay for that. That's all. And that's why this Rumble was predictable to the end. Why fuck with a money draw?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Face it, Punk looks really weak to the average audience.

Punk has looked really weak for months. He should've dropped the belt ages ago.

Kyoufu

And then people wonder why he's had the title for over a year and isn't much of a draw.

Awful booking. From being buried by Triple H and his goon Kevin Nash to being buried by the cowardly title reign.

What's the point of being an amazing talker and overall performer if you can't have at least one good clean wrestling match?

It's always the same interference/DQ shit.

Rock/Cena II isn't about Cena winning again on the biggest stage, no new era...

It's just good business. People pay for that. That's all. And that's why this Rumble was predictable to the end. Why fuck with a money draw?

Why wouldn't people pay for Cena/Rock II if it wasn't for the title?

Ithil

And then people wonder why he's had the title for over a year and isn't much of a draw.

Awful booking. From being buried by Triple H and his goon Kevin Nash to being buried by the cowardly title reign.

What's the point of being an amazing talker and overall performer if you can't have at least one good clean wrestling match?

Because....Cena. That's Vince's answer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldn't people pay for Cena/Rock II if it wasn't for the title?

They would, but the more you make it the most important thing on the card, the more people get interested. Punk having the title doesn't draw like Rock having it again. And now Vince gets to have erections every time a media outlet photographs the Rock carrying around the title on the red carpet.

Jitters

Unfortunately, it could be his size. Weren't the ratings down when HBK was champ?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I will say this, though. Rock being WWE champion again will make the title look very important to casuals again.

Thaaaat's a big part of it. "Man I havent watched WWF since the 2000s...with the Stone Cold guy and that Godfather pimp"

some detox coming up

national-pro-wrestling-day.jpg

I was kind of looking forward to this, but there's some real uninspiring matches in the line-up. Out of both afternoon & evening cards, I'd say these will be worth watching;

. Ethan Page vs Josh Alexander - AIW - Page has a good attitude and shows good charisma, while Alexander is a beast in the ring.
. Juan Francisco de Coranado vs Saturyne - Wrestling is Fun! - JFDC has impressed a lot on the WiFi! shows, and Saturyne isn't bad, but still very green.
. S.C.U.M. vs The Briscoes - ROH - wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the best match on the card.
. Rey de Voladores mini-tournament - 2 Cold Scorpio vs ACH in the final, book it. The other guys in the tournament are kinda meh, but Jo Jo Bravo & Shane Hollister aren't at all bad.
. Mike Quackenbush vs Colt Cabana - Wrestling is Art - should be a great technical match, but one that we've seen a couple of times this past year in CHIKARA.
. Devastation Corporation vs Latvian Proud Oak & Estonian Thunderfrog - Wrestling is Fun! - this will be a fun squash no doubt.
. AR Fox vs Shane Strickland - EVOLVE - a match that has happened a load in CZW this past year, but should be good nonetheless.
. Los Ice Creams & FIST vs The Colony & 3.0 - CHIKARA - a standard CHIKARA atomicos tag match. Should be fun, and heavy on the comedy.

Could be worth the $14.99, but I'm still undecided.

Wrestling is based on a foundation of heels cheating to win until a hero overcomes and beats him. When heels dominate babyfaces it does nobody any favours.

When every heel is the same, it does nobody any favours. When heels can barely pick up a win, even on the weekly shows, how's anybody supposed to buy them as a threat? Yes, wrestling has a great tradition of heels doing dastardly things to get the upper hand, but it also has its fair share of heels that were booked to be competent, dangerous individuals who perhaps didn't always need to cheat to win.

Ithil

He's not had the belt for forever.

Obviously I see your point, but this is just how wrestling has always worked. If WrassleGAF existed in 2001 we'd be mad every time Rock went over someone.

Not at all. Rock was a great babyface back then, he lost plenty of times, to make the big win special, he was never invincible, that's what a real underdog is. Cena wins weekly and is booked to be the strongest, best, most brilliant perfect hero ever. That's just boring.

Kaladin

So Mania is looking like.....

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs ???????
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback??
Multi-man match?

I am the NeoGAF Royal Rumble Champion!

Bowser

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs ???????
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback??
Multi-man match?

Forgot Orton vs Sheamus. I live in NYC and I sure as shit don't want to pay $300-$400 bucks for a half decent seat for that shitty card.

Kyoufu

Anyway I suppose I'm having a meltdown of sorts but I'm done with this crap. I'm 27 years old and there is nothing left for me from this product. It's still a PG show dominated by John Cena.

and I'll tell you this right now:

Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Ambrose and any of our other favourites are NOT going to be main event draws in the future. WWE booking incompetency will make sure of that.

Not at all. Rock was a great babyface back then, he lost plenty of times, to make the big win special, he was never invincible, that's what a real underdog is. Cena wins weekly and is booked to be the strongest, best, most brilliant perfect hero ever. That's just boring.

It's been years but I'm sure when Rock lost there was often dirty finishes. HHH looked strong but tons of his title defendes were from wacky Dusty finishes. I don't think Rock lost clean all that often at all, and nor should he have.

Omega

Banned
It's been years but I'm sure when Rock lost there was often dirty finishes. HHH looked strong but tons of his title defendes were from wacky Dusty finishes. I don't think Rock lost clean all that often at all, and nor should he have.

he still lost though.

Cena doesn't even lose to dirty tactics.

Kaladin

I'm thinking after Mania this year it might be time for another break. I have been near the point of taking a break for the past year and stuff keeps pulling me back in, but maybe if I took off for a few years the landscape would be different when I came back.

Toki767

Rock was secure enough in his spot to let the Hurricane pin him cleanly. The only time Cena has lost clean in the last 5 years was against the Rock.

McNei1y

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs ???????
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback??
Multi-man match?

I'm expecting a triple threat match somewhere... maybe. I'd like to see Barrett/Sheamus/Orton or something. Cesaro has to get a match somewhere. Shield will probably be involved with Ryback.

Kaladin

I'm expecting a triple threat match somewhere... maybe. I'd like to see Barrett/Sheamus/Orton or something. Cesaro has to get a match somewhere. Shield will probably be involved with Ryback.

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs Barrett??
Sheamus vs Orton
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback vs The Shield
Cesaro vs Miz w/ Ric Flair

How does that look for a Mania card?

Only problem is Big Show isn't on the card.....not really a problem, but he'll be on there.

UberTag

Why wait until Mania?
You should be taking a break from the product NOW!
So should any self-respecting fan of wrestling.

You can't very well "send a message" to Vince and the WWE by continuing to tune in. They'll interpret that as you LIKING tonight's BS booking. They'll give you MORE of it!

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs Barrett??
Sheamus vs Orton
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback vs The Shield

How does that look for a Mania card?

Only problem is Big Show isn't on the card.....not really a problem, but he'll be on there.
I thought it was The Undertaker vs. Punk? What happened to that rumor?

Kaladin

I thought it was The Undertaker vs. Punk? What happened to that rumor?

Could be....I just realized I forgot Punk on that card.....lol.

So.....

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs Punk
Sheamus vs Orton vs Barrett
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback vs The Shield

????

Top Bottom