• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Anth0ny

I'm thinking after Mania this year it might be time for another break. I have been near the point of taking a break for the past year and stuff keeps pulling me back in, but maybe if I took off for a few years the landscape would be different when I came back.

same.

punk's promo and mitb 2011 are feeling more and more like a distant memory...

once the rock's gone i'm out

someone let me know if ziggler/bryan get a real push

til then i'll enjoy my attitude era tapes

Hightower

Banned
While I enjoyed quite a bit of the show, the whole thing was a very "by the numbers" event. I miss the WWE that would take chances and swerve their audience... now... everything just feels so predictable.

While I enjoyed quite a bit of the show, the whole thing was a very "by the numbers" event. I miss the WWE that would take chances and swerve their audience... now... everything just feels so predictable.
They've swerved the audience for the sake of swerving the audience before, and trust me, it's much worse.

Kyoufu

HHH will do good, I'm confident of that. The sooner he takes over the better.

I hope the first thing he does is get rid of this law where a face has to fight a heel and vice versa.

I don't know if they did that in the Attitude Era but Vince did say in his intro to the AE that good guys vs bad guys is basically insulting the viewers' intelligence.

DominoKid

I'm thinking after Mania this year it might be time for another break. I have been near the point of taking a break for the past year and stuff keeps pulling me back in, but maybe if I took off for a few years the landscape would be different when I came back.

take it from someone who's been on/off hiatus for a long time. it wont feel different. once youre out, it'll never feel the same. at least it hasn't for me.

I know someone is going to tell me that wins and losses don't mean squat in wrestling, but dammit, I wish wins and losses actually meant something in wrestling.

It's just little things, like Cena (or whoever they're mega-pushing this month, see; Ryback) getting title opportunity after title opportunity whether he's had to work his way through the ranks or not, or a guy like Randy Orton beating the US champion in a non-title match on TV and then not getting a title shot because, lol, the belt is beneath his status.

I prefer the idea that guys want belts, want the top billings on the card, because it earns them more money. By the same token, guys should actually want to win matches to earn themselves a better pay-day and because, if wins and losses actually meant a damn thing, it would be the key to getting in the title picture.

I miss rankings in general, and no.1 contenders matches.

Ah, don't mind me, it's 5AM and I'm rambling.

Could be....I just realized I forgot Punk on that card.....lol.

So.....

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs Punk
Sheamus vs Orton vs Barrett
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback vs The Shield
Cesaro vs Miz w/ Ric Flair

????
I'd add to that Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara. I know they want to do that, and then have everyone in the audience wear a lucha mask to break the world record. That was the plan a couple months ago at least, and can still very well be now that Sin Cara is back.

Or have Mysterio and Sin Cara in a Tag Title match vs. some other tag team.

McNei1y

I know someone is going to tell me that wins and losses don't mean squat in wrestling, but dammit, I wish wins and losses actually meant something in wrestling.

It's just little things, like Cena (or whoever they're mega-pushing this month, see; Ryback) getting title opportunity after title opportunity whether he's had to work his way through the ranks or not, or a guy like Randy Orton beating the US champion in a non-title match on TV and then not getting a title shot because, lol, the belt is beneath his status.

I prefer the idea that guys want belts, want the top billings on the card, because it earns them more money. By the same token, guys should actually want to win matches to earn themselves a better pay-day and because, if wins and losses actually meant a damn thing, it would be the key to getting in the title picture.

All in all, it's upsetting that everything is moot.

But they do matter thats why Cena and Super friends never lose and when they do its never clean

Kaladin

It's the most disappointing time of the year
When nobodies selling
and everyone is yelling in jeers
It's the most disappointing time of the year
It's the most predictable season of them all
With those legends returning and gay joke promos
With Cena winning it all
It's the most predictable season of them all

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I hope the first thing he does is get rid of this law where a face has to fight a heel and vice versa.

I don't know if they did that in the Attitude Era but Vince did say in his intro to the AE that good guys vs bad guys is basically insulting the viewers' intelligence.
Nah, the AE stuck pretty closely to heel vs face all the time. It's just a matter of what the faces were allowed to do. I will say again that PG isn't the problem. The WWE was the raunchiest in 2002, and WWE sucked that year. It's just a matter of being good.

Just be good.

McNei1y

Could be....I just realized I forgot Punk on that card.....lol.

So.....

Cena vs Rock
Ziggler vs Del Rio
HHH vs Lesnar
Undertaker vs Punk
Sheamus vs Orton vs Barrett
Kane vs Daniel Bryan
Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
Ryback vs The Shield
Cesaro vs Miz w/ Ric Flair

????

Predictable card but I'd still watch because a lot of the matches could bring some sort of entertainment, even if the results are predictable. I hope Y2J is booked somewhere.

McNei1y

He is, he's booked on tour with Metallica.

realjerichnomizjf.gif

Ithil

Nah, the AE stuck pretty closely to heel vs face all the time. It's just a matter of what the faces were allowed to do. I will say again that PG isn't the problem. The WWE was the raunchiest in 2002, and WWE sucked that year. It's just a matter of being good.

Just be good.

The heels were also massive assholes. Sure many of the faces were too, but not as big as the heels.

John Cena wins the Royal Rumble Match! Nice to see someone who doesn't get to many big moments to win such a huge match. #shocker

— Todd Grisham (@GrishamESPN) January 28, 2013

todd Grisham bringing the heat

i was hoping for a clean finsish to Rock/Punk. not shield lights out and a fucking people elbow

Kyoufu

Just be good.

I like good.

Kaladin

Rock vs Punk was at least a C, but we got cheated out of a finish and The Shield happened just as the match was kicking into third gear.....Punk would have kicked out of that elbow.

McNei1y

So WrassleGAF, what do you give Royal Rumble? A,B,C, F scale.

Me:
Miz vs Cesaro: B
Del Rio vs Big Show: B+
Rumble: C-
Rock vs CM Punk: F

Overall: C-

*Royal Rumble up until Cesaro's elimination: A+
*Royal Rumble after Cesaro's elimination: F
Rock vs Punk: C

* Not because of Cesaro's elimination but because of the events that followed.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I like good.
I mean, honestly. Wrestling is just a matter of matches and promos. Just have good matches, and have good promos, and that solves all your problems. It doesn't matter who these wrestlers are, or how long they've been on top, or what the story line is.

Have good matches with good promos, and you're done. The AE had that.

JBL really needs to decide whether to be a heel or neutral. He was totally defending the lights out attack and then furiously kissing Rock's ass after he won the title. Pick a side, bro.

So WrassleGAF, what do you give Royal Rumble? A,B,C, F scale.

Me:
Rumble: C-
Rock vs CM Punk: F

Overall: C-

Miz / Cesaro: Pre-show/10. Who cares.
ADR / Big Show: C
Hell No / Rhodes Scholars: C
Rumble: C for most of it with an F ending
Rock/Punk: C- for most of it with an F ending

Overall: D

Jitters

I mean, honestly. Wrestling is just a matter of matches and promos. Just have good matches, and have good promos, and that solves all your problems. It doesn't matter who these wrestlers are, or how long they've been on top, or what the story line is.

We don't get good matches and good promos now?

Kyoufu

This is true.

we don't have that much these days.

We don't get good matches and good promos now?

We do but it's not as common as it used to be.

gurudyne

HHH will do good, I'm confident of that. The sooner he takes over the better.

HHH's CoO decisions thusfar are the only things giving me hope this industry even has a future. America's wrestling companies are basically either committing late-WCW-esque slow suicide through watering down their product and taking viewership for granted, ...committing late-WCW-esque slow suicide through watering down their product and taking viewership for granted while writing even worse stories than their primary competitor because they hired the idiot creatives from late WCW, or wrestling out of local gyms and warehouses.

So yeah, I really do think Cena's atrocious booking may well lead to the death of the WWE.

Top Bottom