• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

At least its better than the bee one...
77086.jpg

To be honest, Punk's reign wasn't that strong. He didn't really do much in that time frame. He had good matches, but very few great matches.

Cena's reign from Sept 06-Oct 07 was much better. That reign was easily Cena in his prime. He had a lot of great matches in that year. He even had an okay match with The Great Khali.

Ithil

I don't mind Rock with the title, could be cool to see him at movie premieres with it.

It's that it's all for nothing, it's just another way to put over John Cena. Rock's not going to drop the title to a younger up and comer like he did last time, with Brock Lesnar, no, it's just another pointless push for Cena.

Bowser

I don't mind Rock with the title, could be cool to see him at movie premieres with it.

It's that it's all for nothing, it's just another way to put over John Cena. Rock's not going to drop the title to a younger up and comer like he did last time, with Brock Lesnar, no, it's just another pointless push for Cena.

Agreed, I can't understand why the dolts can't see this. It's not that Rock ended Punk's reign, as shitty as that is IMO, it's that the end game is for the Rock to drop the title to Cena. Why? What in fuck does that accomplish?

Toki767

Agreed, I can't understand why the dolts can't see this. It's not that Rock ended Punk's reign, as shitty as that is IMO, it's that the end game is for the Rock to drop the title to Cena. Why? What in fuck does that accomplish?

Cena needs to get over. Don't you hear all those boos?

DominoKid

"(think of it as The Rock's Spirit Bomb)"

LMFAO.

a fat bottom line.

our enjoyment is a secondary concern.

Anth0ny

To be honest, Punk's reign wasn't that strong. He didn't really do much in that time frame. He had good matches, but very few great matches.

Cena's reign from Sept 06-Oct 07 was much better. That reign was easily Cena in his prime. He had a lot of great matches in that year. He even had an okay match with The Great Khali.

punk's reign was fucking awful, didn't feel like a champion at all for most of it

and rock is gonna lose to cena at mania. jesus christ almighty

Ithil

Question, and I'd love to ask Vince this before his security threw me out of his office.

John Cena has just beaten the Rock in the main event of Wrestlemania 29, and won the WWE title for the 11th time. He was booed out of the building. Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, etc, were on the card but Vince can't remember where, they did something or other, the important part is Cena won. It's now the following night, live on RAW. What the fuck happens?

What does Cena say? What does he do? He has the title, who does he defend against? What's your plan for the title reign? Maybe you blow off this show (one of the most important of the year) and just have some throwaway one night only Cena faffs about stuff. How about next week?

What CAN he do or say, in such a situation? Where can you go with this?

Its gonna be another Cena associated belt. Cena is still young enough to wrestle for another 10 years

Not physically, he's already banged up as it is. His body is going to start breaking down majorly in the next couple of years, these things have a domino effect.

Kaladin

Vince probably thinks that after this two year Rock vs Cena rivalry he will finally have made Cena as big as Hulk Hogan was at his height in WWE....and this time there is no WCW for Cena to go to.

Question, and I'd love to ask Vince this before his security threw me out of his office.

John Cena has just beaten the Rock in the main event of Wrestlemania 29, and won the WWE title for the 11th time. He was booed out of the building. Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, etc, were on the card but Vince can't remember where, they did something or other, the important part is Cena won. It's now the following night, live on RAW. What the fuck happens?

What does Cena say? What does he do? He has the title, who does he defend against? What's your plan for the title reign? Maybe you blow off this show (one of the most important of the year) and just have some throwaway one night only Cena faffs about stuff. How about next week?

Cena vs. Lesnar with Lesnar wanting revenge on Cena.

So now there's 5 people taking spots from the main roster at mania

Rock
HHH
Lesnar
Undertaker
Jericho( at least he shows up to the all the events for a couple of months)

How can anybody be elevated to be stars when they can't even get a good spot at mania. Work all year and maybe you'll get in a tag team clusterfuck match.

DominoKid

"The same thing we do every night" - The Brain

Bowser

You're looking at this the wrong way. Wrestlemania is for the casuals and the casuals know Rock and to a lesser extent Cena. So they give Rock the belt for two months, pimp his movies, incite interest in his film industry fans or old wrestling fans (I know a lot of people interested in WWE now because or Rock, heck he's the reason I started watching again earlier last year). This also advertises Wrestlemania. By working in this symbiotic relationship Dwayne benefits, and WWE benefits in terms of money.

After Mania, they'll probably have Daniel Bryan or someone win the belt from him. He won't keep it for long.

Yeah no we're in for Cena 2013 after Mania

Ithil

You're looking at this the wrong way. Wrestlemania is for the casuals and the casuals know Rock and to a lesser extent Cena. So they give Rock the belt for two months, pimp his movies, incite interest in his film industry fans or old wrestling fans (I know a lot of people interested in WWE now because or Rock, heck he's the reason I started watching again earlier last year). This also advertises Wrestlemania. By working in this symbiotic relationship Dwayne benefits, and WWE benefits in terms of money.

After Mania, they'll probably have Daniel Bryan or someone win the belt from him. He won't keep it for long.

The problem is, all the people they might get interested by Rock being champ will buy WM, or go to WM, and will not come back afterwards because of Cena winning the title. It's exactly the opposite of what will make new fans.

So now there's 5 people taking spots of the main roster at mania

Rock
HHH
Lesnar
Undertaker

How can anybody be elevated to be stars when they can't even get a good spot at mania. Work all year and maybe you'll get in a tag team clusterfuck match.
Because they draw way more money than those young guys.

Also, Jericho will be working with one of the younger guys, and will probably put them over as well.

Ithil

Rock
HHH
Lesnar
Undertaker

All these guys, bar Jericho, could put over people so very much. Instead they're fighting each other, or Cena, and no one is allowed in.

Jericho always reaches down to help others up (since no one ever did the same for him), imagine if you had a young guy who can hang with Rock take the title from him, giving that guy the biggest win of his career and making him a star. Same with Lesnar.

Because they draw way more money than those young guys.

Also, Jericho will be working with one of the younger guys, and will probably put them over as well.

No wonder they do, the younger guys never get any attention. No REAL attention, anyway.

Its gonna be another Cena associated belt. Cena is still young enough to wrestle for another 10 years

Ugh, that's the worst thing about the Spinner Belt. Not only does it look like a damn toy, its essentially Cena's belt. No matter who holds it, it's Cena's belt. It's always signified as Cena's belt.

Punk's design was amazing. It looked like a real belt. A belt anyone can have without it being seen as Punk's belt. The current Spinner Belt is personified and made to be Cena's.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if on the back of the belt it read "Property of WWE. If lost please send to John Felix Anthony Cena at West Newbury Massachusetts."

Jitters is Heavy's alt account, right?
Jitters is a Kelly Kelly fan. He has to be somebody's troll account.

No wonder they do, the younger guys never get any attention. No REAL attention, anyway.
WrestleMania has always been for the more established guys. You put them at the top because that's when it makes you the most money. You can give the young guys a chance at other times of the year. Punk wasn't given his chance at WrestleMania. By last year's WrestleMania, he was already an established guy. That's just how it is.

Honestly, what do you think will make the most money, The Rock vs. Dolph Ziggler for the WWE Championship, or The Rock vs. John Cena?

DXPett1

I feel a lot better after reading it.

Agreed but two things still bug the hell out of me:

1. All that build up, Summer of Punk etc... Led to one of the shittiest reigns. Punk was given very little to work with. Jericho was probably the only meaningful rivalry
2. As others have stated, is the end game Cena getting the title at Wrestlemania? Sure, it could mean Punk comes back for the title with something thin like "you never beat me" but fuck me I could think of nothing worse than ANOTHER Cena/Punk stand off

Rock
HHH
Lesnar
Undertaker

This is my biggest issue (after Cena) with the company. They've been going back to the well for years and years. Not one episode of Raw or a PPV, aside from TLC 2011, feels like they're looking forward and building a new generation. Yeah, I know, Cesaro, Bryan, The Shield, etc. etc., but none of them feel like they're spearheading the next era of the WWE. They're just a bunch of new guys for Cena to chomp on. Even Sheamus and Ryback are second fiddle to Cena and whatever Attitude Era Legend™ gets wheeled out next. I haven't felt like the company's had a direction since Heyman booked Smackdown. They've just been floating through the cosmos with Cena gobbling up whatever galaxy they happen to pass next.

Ithil

From a storyline perspective I see nothing wrong with it. It fits the storyline. It's decent booking.

He's one of the most over guys on the roster. I think they're grooming him for that leadership role right now.

Vince doesn't give two shits how over Bryan is. That non-steak eating vegan indie guy isn't main eventing over my boy John Cena.

Of course many in the company like Bryan, and why wouldn't they, but someone upstairs thinks of him as nothing but a low card guy, and I'm assuming it's Vince.

Vince is not the same guy he once was, where he liked people to do their part to stand out, get themselves over (in a manner approved by him at least), talk about to him and shout at him that they're ready for the big time. Now it's "do what I say" and "lose to John Cena". There's no give.

Bowser

Where can I see this design?

Cena and Punk's rivalry was great until HHH got involved. I agree, it's just a fact that Punk's reign was seen as less important than what John Cena was doing. That's a major flaw with the current product.

This is supposedly the front plate, although not sure if its finished or ever debuting even:

wwebelt_large.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I didn't know so many of you guys were able to see into the future. Cena wins at WM, eh? What else is gonna happen? I'd love to know.
Cena/Punk
Orton turns heel
Shield becomes irrelevant
Undertaker wins at WM, then disappears to bury someone else next year
HHH will have a new on screen authority figure
Kane continues working at a concessions stand
Smarks continue to be pissed off at WWE's usage of Bryan

DominoKid

Ugh, that's the worst thing about the Spinner Belt. Not only does it look like a damn toy, its essentially Cena's belt. No matter who holds it, it's Cena's belt. It's always signified as Cena's belt.

Punk's design was amazing. It looked like a real belt. A belt anyone can have without it being seen as Punk's belt. The current Spinner Belt is personified and made to be Cena's.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if on the back of the belt it read "Property of WWE. If lost please send to John Felix Anthony Cena at West Newbury Massachusetts."

it always surprised me that the Spinner belt stayed around. i thought it was just gonna be some one-off Cena shit. but i didn't know how these things worked back then.

Top Bottom