• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

McNei1y

Thanks for posting the gifs guys! You helped me out big time!

So looking at all the wrestlers that are mid card and up..

only the Shield has dudes under the age of 30.

edit: well cody is still young.

Woah, didn't realize how "old" everyone was. The vet and cena bookings look even worse considering WWE's prime talent's ages respectively.

Confirmed matches:

Rock/Cena
HHH/Lesnar
Taker/Someone
WHC match not involving Ziggler, he'll probably try to cash in the briefcase and get bro kicked
Divas piss break
Comedy match that gets a bunch of guys a Wrestlemania payday

what am I missing

A match lasting from 10 seconds minimum to 2 minutes maximum, possibly something interesting or title related.
Heaven forbid we have time spent on a wrestling match instead of comedy segments and promo packages boasting about how great WWE is at helping kids rise above hate or some shit ON A 4 HOUR LONG SHOW!

We can trace the recent history of the rushed match back to WM 24 where Kane made Chavo job with the power of turning up behind him yet still giving him enough time to turn around, gasp, have the bell ring and still suffer from the "surprise".
Then JBL lost to Rey the following year at WM25 in a stupidly swift manner that was the last match of his in ring career, what a lame way to go.

WM 26 subverted things a bit, instead both the opening tag match and Rey/Punk ended unusually quick because we really needed to watch Hobo Hart amble around the ring awkwardly beating on Vince for 20 minutes, if any match should've got the swift treatment it was this.

Following this at WM27 we got something even stupider when Bryan and Sheamus was silently shunted off the main card as a dark match (which was somehow won by the Great Khali in a lumberjack to battle royale twist that no one wanted). The cherry on top of the shit sundae was having the multiman tag match of Team Faces vs the Corre end in like two minutes.

And because Sheamus and Bryan had clearly not been screwed enough they returned last year in a WHC match that ended faster than all the rest because Brodus Clay needed to dance with his mamas and also make way for crappy concert entrances from some jabronis.

Can't wait to see what match gets the treatment this year.
Maybe we should just wait for Extreme Rules, the rematch mania of actual matches and fun gimmicks.

McNei1y

And because Sheamus and Bryan had clearly not been screwed enough they returned last year in a WHC match that ended faster than all the rest because Brodus Clay needed to dance with his mamas and also make way for crappy concert entrances from some jabronis.

Oh man I had totally forgotten that crappy concerts and Brodus dancing... what a waste of time.

Since Cena mentioned that he'd take on Rock or Punk (which was a big surprise to the jaded) what if he had to face both?

What if Rock loses the WWE title to Punk at Elimination Chamber? Wouldn't he have a right to invoke a rematch at the biggest show of them all?

Rock Vs. Cena can still be Once In A Lifetime, because a Cena/Punk/Rock triple threat WWE title match would technically be different.
I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't realize that's what the theme was spelling out :(
It's OK bro, me too....

The Shied should be the next evoltion in terms of Pushing stars. it worked wonders for Batista and orton. They need a statement win at wrestlemania much like Evolution had over Rock and Sock

Ithil

He had such a great beginning too. Working with Evolution, Foley, and Undertaker. The guys today cannot get that fortunate experience.

At the same time, the likes of Dean Ambrose or Seth Rollins or Antonio Cesaro had years on the indies in different promotions, and as a result they've arrived in the WWE mostly fully formed, ready to be pushed and do well immediately, with Ambrose and Rollins also quite young, with years and years ahead in their careers. I mean, Ambrose has natural charisma, andCesaro natural physical prowess, but if they'd turned up in WWE developmental mostly untrained at age 21, by this time now, they wouldn't be Ambrose or Cesaro.

You get lucky guys like Orton who got the right help combined with natural skills for wrestling, but then you get Cena who is not unskilled, but he is somewhat limited and prone to clumsiness. They were trained only by the WWE, they didn't get the worldly experience on the indies that really helps.

Oh man I had totally forgotten that crappy concerts and Brodus dancing... what a waste of time.
Both those moments left me so incredibly sour that I could not even begin to enjoy Rock/Cena, I just didn't care anymore.

I was right to feel this way when Bryan and Sheamus put on a damn good match at Extreme Rules and I was correct in my assumption that we had indeed been screwed out a great WM match between these two twice!

Thing is you pay in anticipation of certain matches and while not every match will go as you'd like it's a real slap in the face when matches get short changed because of awful reasons. Seeing it's basically a trend at this point I anticipate my man Barrett will drop the IC title to Bo Dallas in seconds because "it's a forced Wrestlemania moment!" love it or else!
Actually no one would want to see that match so my point here doesn't really work, okay Cesaro tapping out to Miz's botched figure four in like a minute long match.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
He had such a great beginning too. Working with Evolution, Foley, and Undertaker. The guys today cannot get that fortunate experience.

Then let me ask you a question.

How do you feel about Bo Dallas?

Also, I'm pretty damn sure that WWE is going to fuck this up, but Heyman leading Punk, Lesnar and the Shield could be a fucking fantastic heel stable.

jmdajr

Ages.

John Cena -35
Sheamus -35
Randy Orton -32
Alberto Del Rio - 35
Rey Mysterio- 38
Cm Punk - 34
Ziggler - 32
Antonio Cesaro - 32
miz- 32
kofi-31
brock lesnar - 35

big show-40
chris jericho 42
hhh- 43
the undertaker - 47
kane - 45

Now being 30 is not old or anything. Hell some of wrestlers best work can come at that age.
But 5 years from now? I hope they have built some young talent by then. There is still time.

Ithil

Ages.

John Cena -35
Sheamus -35
Randy Orton -32
Alberto Del Rio - 35
Rey Mysterio- 38
Cm Punk - 35
Ziggler - 32
Antonio Cesaro - 32
miz- 32

Now being 30 is not old or anything. Hell some of wrestlers best work can come at that age.
But 5 years from now? I hope they have built some young talent by the. There is still time.
Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns and others in NXT like PAC, Richie Steamboat, Corey Graves etc are all in their mid twenties, I think that's what HHH is looking to do, build a large, diverse roster with guys that are both young and highly experienced.

I'm a little concerned about Kassius Ohno, he's older than Cesaro already, and still in NXT with no sign of him moving up. Now he's not going to drop dead at 34, he could easily have a five year run on top at that age, but for some it takes a few years to start getting a proper push, if any. It seems like late 30s is the new age to move into veteran status and start taking a backseat role.

Striker

The Shied should be the next evoltion in terms of Pushing stars. it worked wonders for Batista and orton. They need a statement win at wrestlemania much like Evolution had over Rock and Sock
Evolution were big because of guys like Flair and Triple H. How guys like Batista and Orton separated from the group was pretty well done, and allowed those guys to look good do so. I fear, which I think I have every right to considering this company's booking, they'll screw these guys up.

Ambrose and Rollins are both about Cody's age, so they also have plenty of time. We don't need them to be pushed ahead immediately.

jmdajr

Evolution were big because of guys like Flair and Triple H. How guys like Batista and Orton separated from the group was pretty well done, and allowed those guys to look good do so. I fear, which I think I have every right to considering this company's booking, they'll screw these guys up.

Ambrose and Rollins are both about Cody's age, so they also have plenty of time. We don't need them to be pushed ahead immediately.

Guess in recent times, Del Rio and Sheamus got the fasted pushes. Ryback too but he hasn't won anything yet.

Punk is probably the one that had to wait out the longest. Really, WHC is not making it to the very top. (perhaps during brand split only when shows were equal)

Slow pushes:
Punk, Edge, Jeff hardy, Bret hart, HBK, Mankind, HHH, Eddie, Stone Cold

Fast:
Rock, Lesnar, Orton, Sheamus, Del Rio, Undertaker.

It really is a mix.

Ithil

Rollins is the kind that'll need some time to build up a connection with the audience, he'll do his time in the Shield, turn face, etc. Ambrose is just magnetic, though, you unleash him on your show, there's no telling how quick he might rise up the ranks. He could terrorize the mid card for a time, or end up fast tracked to the World title scenes, anything could happen.

if you look closley you can see some people in the crowd doing it. hope she keeps it when she moves up

tumblr_mghf5wEGln1rt4k5qo6_250.gif

Ages.

John Cena -35
Sheamus -35
Randy Orton -32
Alberto Del Rio - 35
Rey Mysterio- 38
Cm Punk - 34
Ziggler - 32
Antonio Cesaro - 32
miz- 32
kofi-31
brock lesnar - 35

big show-40
chris jericho 42
hhh- 43
the undertaker - 47
kane - 45

But 5 years from now? I hope they have built some young talent by then. There is still time.
I think the roster is quite loaded:

More ages:

Daniel Bryan - 31
Cody Rhodes - 27
Damien Sandow - 31
Wade Barrett - 32
Seth Rollins - 26
Dean Ambrose - 27
Heath Slater - 29
Ryback - 31
Sin Botcha - 30

I'd like to think they're good.

no love for Roman Reigns? he is 27 btw.
He's just the brute right now, gotta establish him more.

Folks already know about what Ambrose and Rollins can do.

As it stands, we've seen more from Big E, IMHO.

I wanted to put Reigns on there because of the angle he is in, but he's Rhyno clone status at this point.

Slow pushes:
Punk, Edge, Jeff hardy, Bret hart, HBK, Mankind, HHH, Eddie, Stone Cold

Fast:
Rock, Lesnar, Orton, Sheamus, Del Rio, Undertaker.

It really is a mix.

A bit of a correlation I noticed:

Slow:
Indy/1st gen, Indy/1st gen, Indy/1st gen, Stampede/2nd gen (non-WWF), AWA/1st gen, WCW/Japan/indy/1st gen, WCW/1st gen, WCW/2nd gen (non-WWF), WCW/1st gen

Fast:
WWF/3rd gen (WWF), WWF/1st gen, WWF/3rd gen (WWF), indy/1st gen, indy/Japan/Mexico/2nd gen (non-WWF*), WC(C)W/1st gen

This is just using your examples but it seems as though the best chance to get an early push is to have family connections (especially someone who has worked for Vince Jr/Sr), as well as to come up through the WWF without too much time spent elsewhere.

Now of course I know there is tons of contrary evidence, but I think it'd be a lie to say there wasn't a huge "old boys club" attitude towards people who do and don't get a shot early.

*His father did not work for the McMahons but his uncle did, not sure how I'd categorize that

Cagey

Banned
I actually like that column because it brings up some things that I don't enjoy about wrestling, namely some of the overbearing sexism, Kofi Kingston, and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

He writes like a college sophomore attempting to apply what he's learning in Lit Crit this semester to the week-to-week plot convulsions of professional wrestling.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Since Cena mentioned that he'd take on Rock or Punk (which was a big surprise to the jaded) what if he had to face both?

What if Rock loses the WWE title to Punk at Elimination Chamber? Wouldn't he have a right to invoke a rematch at the biggest show of them all?

Rock Vs. Cena can still be Once In A Lifetime, because a Cena/Punk/Rock triple threat WWE title match would technically be different.It's OK bro, me too....
Losing the Belt to The Rock in the way he did, and getting a called a Punk Ass Bitch, getting it back, then losing it in a tripple threat would be great.

I believe him when he says we'll realize he's a genius in 20 years.

I like to think he wanted to lose to Rocky in a high profile match, the only guy who comes back from the Attitude Era and can draw the people in at that caliber, rather than facing a watered down Rock like Cena did.

Also interesting... The Rock is going to be at three consecutive PPV's for the ending of CM Punk's reign.

I like to think the convo went like: "Cena and Vince are two Punk Ass Bitches unwilling to lose like this to Rocky and you need awesome losses in your career."

Then they really can tap into some attitude era with a Austin fued and the match will be amazing with a title or not.

jmdajr

A bit of a correlation I noticed:

Slow:
Indy/1st gen, Indy/1st gen, Indy/1st gen, Stampede/2nd gen (non-WWF), AWA/1st gen, WCW/Japan/indy/1st gen, WCW/1st gen, WCW/2nd gen (non-WWF), WCW/1st gen

Fast:
WWF/3rd gen (WWF), WWF/1st gen, WWF/3rd gen (WWF), indy/1st gen, indy/Japan/Mexico/2nd gen (non-WWF*), WC(C)W/1st gen

This is just using your examples but it seems as though the best chance to get an early push is to have family connections (especially someone who has worked for Vince Jr/Sr), as well as to come up through the WWF without too much time spent elsewhere.

Now of course I know there is tons of contrary evidence, but I think it'd be a lie to say there wasn't a huge "old boys club" attitude towards people who do and don't get a shot early.

*His father did not work for the McMahons but his uncle did, not sure how I'd categorize that

Some good points in there.

Top Bottom