• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
how could Vince fire Paul if Paul was the advisor for Punk?

Storyline wise, he was the legal representative for Brock and agent for Punk

he wouldn't be an employee of WWE

INSIDE JOB

bangai-o

Banned
punk now:
AnN9HDC.jpg

ew gross. look at that stomach.

So, uh... I've only been browsing WrassleGAF since October WrassleGAF (2012). Why does WrassleGAF hate Punk so much now? Is it because he's going against The Rock?

It seems like he gets a lot of hate here now.

So, uh... I've only been browsing WrassleGAF since October WrassleGAF (2012). Why does WrassleGAF hate Punk so much now? Is it because he's going against The Rock?

Because WrassleGAF are a bunch of hipsters who hate on anything or anyone that becomes too popular.

I freely admit I'm a huge mark for Punk, same goes for Bryan. I've been following their careers for 12 years now, and I'm not about to stop because Punk isn't ripped, or because Bryan's reduced to a comedy act.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because WrassleGAF are a bunch of hipsters who hate on anything or anyone that becomes too popular.

I freely admit I'm a huge mark for Punk, same goes for Bryan. I've been following their careers for 12 years now, and I'm not about to stop because Punk isn't ripped, or because Bryan's reduced to a comedy act.

*fistbump*

This thread could use some more positivity. It's okay to enjoy stuff.

Is that why everyone turned on AJ the month she decided to go along with John Cena, and now they love her because she's with Ziggler?

I don't really hate Punk. But I'm automatically gonna throw shade on anyone who faces The Rock. I'm that shameless about it.
Is that why everyone turned on AJ the month she decided to go along with John Cena, and now they love her because she's with Ziggler?
I DO hate AJ, however, because she was needlessly inserted into storylines almost as much as Cena still is. I still hate her now, and being paired with Ziggler isn't going to change that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Who hates Punk? You know, just because you critique someone a bit, and aren't constantly going "HOLY SHIT WHAT A PROMO!!!!!", it doesn't mean that you hate them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have never been a huge Punk fan. I might like him better than some others, but he's not perfection. And his recent stuff has been LAME.

Especially when you consider the messiah complex his fans have towards him. It's been that way since the ROH days.

Aiii

So not worth it

No, that's because that was a terrible storyline. It made no sense at all.

And as you know if you've been lurking, I'm the biggest AJ mark in here. If even I can barely tolerate that storyline, you can't expect someone that doesn't like her will.

bangai-o

Banned
*fistbump*

This thread could use some more positivity. It's okay to enjoy stuff.

okay. lets talk about Cena.

i hope cena dies
Cena ruins everything
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
FUCK YOU CENA! FUCK YOU!
FUCK LIFE
FUCKINH CENA

ARE YOU KIDDINGM E
AFSEGFDSAGDSGDSGDSGSDSDGDSGs
Oh fuck you Cena
WOW

FUCKING CENA

SERIOUSLY?!?
Fuck you Cena!!
Wow, fuck Cena so hard...
What the flying fuck am I watching?
Oh what the fuck.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT I HATE YOUR ASS CENA

TEAR YOUR FUCKING ACL PCL AND DSL YOU COCKFACE!
Wow.

Fuck you, Cena.
FUCK YOU CENA YOU SLIMY PIECE OF SHIT
FUCK EVERYTHING
Fuck off Cena
Fucking cena.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, sure. Hey, you know what. I'll go on record that i sorta liked Cena at the beginning of 2012 after he was done with Kane.

If he turns up the serious permanently, that's fine by me.

Still don't see how people got so upset with the Rumble outcome and Punk/Rock. They booked this WM's main event before WM28 happened and we all knew well beforehand we were getting Rock vs Cena Twice In A Lifetime. So, shouldn't they have been prepared? So odd.

Besides, Mondays ratings proved that Cena and Rock draw, so who can blame WWE for going that route?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well, sure. Hey, you know what. I'll go on record that i sorta liked Cena at the beginning of 2012 after he was done with Kane.

Still don't see how people got so upset with the Rumble outcome and Punk/Rock. They booked this WM's main event before WM28 happened and we all knew well beforehand we were getting Rock vs Cena Twice In A Lifetime. So, shouldn't they have been prepared? So odd.

Besides, Mondays ratings proved that Cena and Rock draw, so who can blame WWE for going that route?
I don't blame them at all. It's honestly the smart business decision.

I will say, though, that AJ is terrible with Ziggler. Ziggler should be on his own. He doesn't need so many people speaking for him. AJ should really be wrestling, and developing her own character besides "sometimes crazy, but always slutty."

tm24

Hey new guy, you won the GAF rumble and then the drawing of prizes and won a copy of PWG's DDT4 releasing sometime in late Feb/early March. It is up to you if you want to claim it or it goes to someone else!

Especially when you consider the messiah complex his fans have towards him. It's been that way since the ROH days.

I think that stems from the fact that, compared to most on the indies, Punk stood head and shoulders above the competition in terms of his promo work and his character. Personally, I never saw Punk as a guy who could be relied upon to have great matches - that was Bryan. A lot of Punk's work from back then is sloppy as hell, but he still had a presence that few other wrestlers at the time could match.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't blame them at all. It's honestly the smart business decision.

I will say, though, that AJ is terrible with Ziggler. Ziggler should be on his own. He doesn't need so many people speaking for him. AJ should really be wrestling, and developing her own character besides "sometimes crazy, but always slutty."

AJ should be wrestling for sure, don't really see why they're not capatalizing on her popularity by putting her in a program with Kaitlyn, but really... developing anything in the current divas division is a stretch on any account.

I personally like AJ/Ziggler/Big E. Don't think either is talking for the other though and Ziggler gets infinitely better on the mic when he has someone to interact with, as soon as he has to cut a promo solo he seems lost. I love their little interactions, like AJ apologising to Ziggler for making him put his briefcase on the line. Not sure what general opinion is on Big E, but in small doses he's perfectly fine, and the guy is a comedic genius if his Twitter is any indication.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Because vince cockteased us with Ziggler's title unification promo, final 4 appearance, and the initial decision of the Punk/Rock match.

It was like Vince was saying to each and every one of us "You like that huh? Wouldn't that be nice? LOL NOPE. FUCK YOU."

Aiii

So not worth it
Or, Vince knew the outcome was going to be Cena, wanted to put Ziggler over, made him go from #1 to last four and gave him a promo to give him extra exposure.

I loved the Punk/Rock booking, Punk being the heel, trying to cheat the system and the babyface getting the win for the people instead of having Punk stripped was a great storytelling move.

See: positivity.

Omega

Banned

I can't speak for everyone else but for me, the disappointment came from how it was executed. I've been saying it was going to be Twice in a Lifetime since I started posting in WrassleGAF so it certainly wasn't a surprise.

I don't have the greatest ideas when it comes to booking, but I think the Final Four came down to SuperGogeta, Ryback, Orton and Sheamus. 3 of those guys were constantly attacked by The Shield and they had just cut a promo saying they weren't finished with them on Raw I think. I was hoping they would have came out and just eliminated all 3 of them. Then that would set up those 3 being angry and wanting their revenge at EC.

Again, might not the best idea but it's way better than having The Shield end up in the Cena vortex and be sent to die. Plus it puts the Shield in an entertaining match.

The title match was just dumb and Punk got Cena'd. Rock was half dead and looked like a fish out of water and one little elbow beats Punk. That shit was worse than when Cena took 8 finishers from Dolph and won with one AA.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's classic Heel vs. Face booking. I really don't see why people get so up-in-arms about it. I guess it's because of the botched Rock Bottom spot that was supposed to kill Punk to set up the need for the Shield attack.

Still, I know it gets hate because Cena is booked like that all the time, but Rock just sells like a mofo for his foes to make them look strong, Cena never does that. Just because it's booked like Cena is normally book doesn't make Punk look weak. Going 25 minutes with a legend and getting beat by him because he's energized by the crowd and determination is not looking weak.

I don't get it, I really don't.

strobogo

Banned
Punk might actually be sloppier now than at least ROH era Punk. Definitely not IWA Punk, though. It doesn't matter at all. Hasn't hurt him in the least. You know who else has always been sloppy? The Rock. And John Cena. And Ric Flair for half of his career. And Terry Funk. And I'd argue that D-Bryne himself often does a lot of things that look weird and kind of sloppy due to his strange bumping and movement style. Sloppy doesn't really mean a whole lot in the long run.

If you're sloppy, can't work a match, suck a promos, and look stupid, that's a problem. Then you're Bo Dallas.

Aiii

So not worth it
Being sloppy helps sell that this stuff is real. If you're always perfect how am I supposed to believe you're fighting to win?

Hell, imagine if MMA was as stylized as pro-wrestling, wouldn't be believable at all.

If you jump onto the top rope because you're in a hurry to pull off that drop while your opponent is down and slip it's a hell of alot more believable then when your opponent is laying still in position for 3 minutes while you position your feet and do a pose and point the audience because that's what you always do.

NawidA

Banned
Lots of Punk fans are marks. He's a Heyman dude, it's a fucking work.

What Punk Marks Think:
OMG he lost the WWE Championship after 434 days, now no one will care and he will be wrestling the Miz for the US belt!

What Will Go Down in WWE History: 434 consecutive days, he was the best in the world.

Cena gave him his respect, Rock always did, and as soon as he turns face again, even the non-Punk marks will too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Or, Vince knew the outcome was going to be Cena, wanted to put Ziggler over, made him go from #1 to last four and gave him a promo to give him extra exposure.

I loved the Punk/Rock booking, Punk being the heel, trying to cheat the system and the babyface getting the win for the people instead of having Punk stripped was a great storytelling move.

See: positivity.

Putting someone over doesn't mean having them give an impressive performance with nothing to show for it. It requires PAYOFF. Victory usually, but estblished stars giving props or acknowledgement can work just as well, even better if pulled off right (see: Taker vs. Jeff Hardy).

It requires your top guys to actually, you know, PUT SOMEONE OVER.

Now tell me, how often do we see Cena legitimately put someone over? If it isn't no-selling a DDT on concrete and using the 5 MOD to win, it's making a mockery out of Big Show and Del Rio by calling them phonys. At best we'll get a cena screwjob followed by a "Well gosh golly, I may have lost, but WRESTLEMANIA/SUMMERSLAM/EXTREME RULES WAS AWESOME, EH? EEEEEEH?" cheap line for a pop, where he just shrugs off the events and pushes them to the side.

Cena makes his opponents look worse. Always. People usually never recover from feuds with Cena, or angles with him. Not Khali. Not Umaga. Not Wade Barrett or any other member of Nexus. Not R-Truth or Miz. Not Chris Masters. Not Zack Ryder. Not Del Rio (until his feud with Show/face turn)

There is a consistent pattern in the on-screen product where almost everything and everyone Cena touches turns to shit. He has even downplayed the importance of the WWE title when trying to tie in the fan-respect thing as he feuded with Punk last summer. Edge and CM Punk are two of the few guys who have extensively feuded with him over the years that haven't been buried.

And the last think we really needed Punk to be was the slimy cowardly heel. Should have gone the ruthless aggression, don't-give-a-damn, blunt route.

CM Punk looked like the guy I'd always end up making on the Smackdown games when I was a kid. So I have that affinity with him. It was strange becoming aware of who he was, as my mate always assumed that I was making CM Punk >.<

It's classic Heel vs. Face booking. I really don't see why people get so up-in-arms about it. I guess it's because of the botched Rock Bottom spot that was supposed to kill Punk to set up the need for the Shield attack.

Still, I know it gets hate because Cena is booked like that all the time, but Rock just sells like a mofo for his foes to make them look strong, Cena never does that. Just because it's booked like Cena is normally book doesn't make Punk look weak. Going 25 minutes with a legend and getting beat by him because he's energized by the crowd and determination is not looking weak.

It was just boring and flat IMO. I'm pretty sure everyone called Twice In A Lifetime like 34 years ago, but the execution of the entire PPV was so by the numbers. Cena winning in the fashion he did with Ryback and Sheamus as the final 3....ugh. Could it get any more snoozefest? Then not having Punk kick out of the elbow? A caller on the LAW said it would've been like HBK kicking out of the Tombstone at WM25, and I completely agree. There's been a lot of finisher fest abuse in the last few years, but if there was EVER a time for a 2.9 kickout. And The Shield attack being 100% legit with not even a hint of swerve in there is such a disappointment. Add the Mad Ox video reveal on Monday and the whole angle feels like watching a mystery series where every twist and turn isn't actually a twist and turn.

I'm rambling. The point is I'm bored. I'm bored in the middle of angles and matches that have the potential to NOT be boring despite the inevitability that Cena's getting the win at WM. All of it feels like missed opportunities.

Hell, is it Kyoufu who's been crapping on the tag division recently? I almost agree with him because tag matches in the WWE have been so mediocre. Team Hell No has gotten very one note and the matches are driven purely by their repetitive odd couple gimmick instead of interesting team related maneuvers. Rhodes Scholars, for all the love they get, haven't done anything interesting in there either.

And again, I'm rambling. Where's the clicker so I can watch my stories?

Ithil

I love Punk. He's a good wrestler and one of the best and most entertaining talkers there is.

I do love that putting aside the lame insults, Rock always takes his main opponent serriously (even Cena, at times, though Cena just smiled like a fool). He talked up Punk as a near unstoppable opponent and a badass champion. He sold Punk's GTS at RAW 1000 like he'd been hit by a car (and the Shield attack like he'd been hit by a truck), and Punk never got him with the GTS at the Rumble, makes it seem like an insta-kill like finishers should be. The drama for finishers, outside of very special main events like WM end matches, should not be how many finishers can he kick out of, but how many finishers can he avoid being hit by.

Omega

Banned
Lots of Punk fans are marks. He's a Heyman dude, it's a fucking work.

What Punk Marks Think:
OMG he lost the WWE Championship after 434 days, now no one will care and he will be wrestling the Miz for the US belt!

What Will Go Down in WWE History: 434 consecutive days, he was the best in the world.

Cena gave him his respect, Rock always did, and as soon as he turns face again, even the non-Punk marks will too.

Cena also gave big e langston praise but no one gives a shit about him.

Cena's respect means nothing because it's all bullshit and even the casual fans know this. A few months before he was doing promos on how Punk basically needs to cure cancer and rid the universe of aliens before he gets John Cena's respect. Then all of a sudden he changes his mind? Punk never beat him clean.

sorry if I'm skeptical of someone surviving the Cena black hole. most people don't.

It was just boring and flat IMO. I'm pretty sure everyone called Twice In A Lifetime like 34 years ago, but the execution of the entire PPV was so by the numbers. Cena winning in the fashion he did with Ryback and Sheamus as the final 3....ugh. Could it get any more snoozefest? Then not having Punk kick out of the elbow? A caller on the LAW said it would've been like HBK kicking out of the Tombstone at WM25, and I completely agree. There's been a lot of finisher fest abuse in the last few years, but if there was EVER a time for a 2.9 kickout. And The Shield attack being 100% legit with not even a hint of swerve in there is such a disappointment. Add the Mad Ox video reveal on Monday and the whole angle feels like watching a mystery series where every twist and turn isn't actually a twist and turn.

I'm rambling. The point is I'm bored. I'm bored in the middle of angles and matches that have the potential to NOT be boring despite the inevitability that Cena's getting the win at WM. All of it feels like missed opportunities IMO.

Hell, is it Kyoufu who's been crapping on the tag division recently? I almost agree with him because tag matches in the WWE have been so mediocre. Team Hell No has gotten very one note and the matches are driven purely by their repetitive odd couple gimmick instead of interesting team related maneuvers. Rhodes Scholars, for all the love they get, haven't done anything interesting in there either.

And again, I'm rambling. Where's the clicker so I can watch my stories?

it's like WCW 2000 without the swerves. the same short shitty matches, Miz is the new Double J, etc.

Top Bottom