• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

I really wish they'd do something with Sandow. I think he could easily be an upper singles guy. He's having solid matches all the time.

Cesaro and Sandow should be a tag team over Sandow and Rhodes

Striker

Rhodes fits with Sandow way better than what Cesaro would be. Sandow will end up being a Swagger/Kofi/Rhodes soon if they keep having him look like a goof week after week.

jmdajr

I really wish they'd do something with Sandow. I think he could easily be an upper singles guy. He's having solid matches all the time.

It's seems the super gimmicky characters are hard to get over at that level. I mean it's not ridiculous like Brodus or anything but it hold hims back I think. Saying all that I like the character and think he's not bad in the ring.

I think everyone would be shocked if Cesaro doesn't make it to the main event scene within the year, he doesn't need to be in the tag division right now. Oh and Cody is a precious commodity who should go back to being king of the intercontinental scene.

Where would Sandow go is the issue. I think there's not enough midcard faces, unless barrett drops the title to a face and feuds with bo dallas and sandow gets the intercontinental title from them. Similar situation with Cesaro dropping the US title when he'll get pushed up in the card. Thats part of the reason why I think Chris Hero hasn't been brought up yet. Its very crowded with heels at the moment in the midcard area and I don't think they're committed to having top level guys like Sheamus and Randy Orton drop down just yet.

I thought you said that tag teams are a waste of time Dave?

They are, but if you're gonna have one they seem like they'd fit even better. And their gimmicks would combine well.

I worry about Sandow cos there's no one for him to feud with. WWE has numerous great mid card heels but not so much faces, and I don't think he can ever be a face.

jmdajr

They are, but if you're gonna have one they seem like they'd fit even better. And their gimmicks would combine well.

Tensai and Brodus need to be a tag team. Tensai has enough "dance" moves to pull off this silliness. Plus he would have more booty than when Trish was leading T&A into the ring.

"I'm supposed to be a monster!" So was Brodus. I don't know, I think they could get decently over, be funny, and still seem formidable. Team HELL NO is on the way out.

I worry about Sandow cos there's no one for him to feud with. WWE has numerous great mid card heels but not so much faces, and I don't think he can ever be a face.

Kofi bro.

Kofi.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Punk is in the same shape as the WWE legends.

Yeah, prior to the 60s / 70s you didn't really see the muscular physiques in wrestling. Bruno Sammartino basically started that.

You don't need to be muscular to be a pro wrestler. Cardio is by far the most important part, because you'll be bouncing around, accelerating, stopping, hopping, jumping constantly, going to the ground and getting back to your feet from a horizontal position over and over again.

that's why wrestling works the way it does. Because a suplex isn't about one guy throwing hte other over his shoulder by the neck, but by one guy jumping foward, rotating, and letting his partner guide him to his backside. It's a tandem act that involves guiding your opponent's momentum (of course, this goes for the grappling/bumping aspect, not the promos or strikes)

Guys like Bob Backlund and Punk have amazing cardio, and that's more important.

Kofi bro.

Kofi.

6SUOsUP.png

jmdajr

Yeah, prior to the 60s / 70s you didn't really see the muscular physiques in wrestling. Bruno Sammartino basically started that.

You don't need to be muscular to be a pro wrestler. Cardio is by far the most important part, because you'll be bouncing around, accelerating, stopping, hopping, jumping constantly, going to the ground and getting back to your feet from a horizontal position over and over again.

that's why wrestling works the way it does. Because a suplex isn't about one guy throwing hte other over his shoulder by the neck, but by one guy jumping foward, rotating, and letting his partner guide him to his backside. It's a tandem act that involves guiding your opponent's momentum (of course, this goes for the grappling/bumping aspect, not the promos or strikes)

Bob Backlund looked pretty damn buff to me. He was using pure strength to slam those dudes in the HOF video.
I'm sure he could have legitimately killed you.

Damien Sandow should be a face. He could use his brilliant intellect to overcome the odds and then use his new found respect to do things like read Dostoyevsky to the audience and explain complex theoretical physics as everyone cheers.

Striker

"I'm supposed to be a monster!" So was Brodus. I don't know, I think they could get decently over, be funny, and still seem formidable. Team HELL NO is on the way out.
Two big men who pair up - 3 Min Warning was probably one of the last two who did so but Jamal/Umaga was a great athlete for his size and wow'd the audience. Outside the dancing I can't see them doing much here. I miss Albert's moves back in his first run, though.

Might as well, though, at least for a short time, mostly because WWE still seemingly isn't doing much with Uso's, PTP or Primo/Epico.

After a free wresting festival the day before Wrestle Kingdom that saw Jado & Gedo of CHAOS take on TAKA & Taichi of Suzuki-gun, Kazuchika Okada declared war on Suzuki-gun, saying that at the next iPPV (The New Beginning on February 10th) he wants to face Minoru Suzuki and that if he wins Suzuki-gun will have to disband. Minoru Suzuki responded by saying he'll only face the leader of CHAOS, but he doesn't know who that is, knowing full well that neither Nakamura or Okada consider the other above them in status and that this could incite a power struggle within CHAOS.

Minoru Suzuki is a magnificent troll and I love it. Hoping we'll get Okada & Nakamura vs Suzuki & TAKA, and when the CHAOS team loses Nakamura & Okada get into a feud for control of the faction.

Lol. At least Trips looked awesome at one point in his career and was a heel people took seriously.

He was also a big part of why I quit watching WWE in 2002. Go Trips! Never should have come back.

ibqfNAA9fxwp4O.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Damien Sandow should be a face. He could use his brilliant intellect to overcome the odds and then use his new found respect to do things like read Dostoyevsky to the audience and explain complex theoretical physics as everyone cheers.

I'm sure Bubba and Joe would totally buy an intelectual face.

Ithil

Rhodes fits with Sandow way better than what Cesaro would be. Sandow will end up being a Swagger/Kofi/Rhodes soon if they keep having him look like a goof week after week.

You mean like the really competitive match he just had with Sheamus on RAW?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Santino is in better shape than Punk, think about it.

jmdajr

Santino is in better shape than Punk, think about it.

I guess the correct word is threatening. True, you don't need a body like Dolph Ziggler to look like a threat. And sure, those old dudes had huge beer guts but they also looked like fuking giant bears. They would fucking beat your ass for real. You think some fan would wack Brock Lesnar in the back of the head? Fuuuuck no. It just be nice if the champ looked a little more impossing than one of Ryback's jobbers.

Sokantish

I guess the correct word is threatening. True, you don't need a body like Dolph Ziggler to look like a threat. And sure, those old dudes had huge beer guts but they also looked like fuking giant bears. They would fucking beat your ass for real. You think some fan would wack Brock Lesnar in the back of the head? Fuuuuck no. It just be nice if the champ looked a little more impossing than one of Ryback's jobbers.

I bet they won't hit him in the back of the head again though, even if he hit the wrong person

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Exactly, he doesn't even retain his arm muscles.
Doubt it. Punk is deceptively strong for his build and has amazing cardio. That said Santino is in much better shape than he ever needs to be given how little they let him actually do.
Was speaking purely about appearance.

All I've heard in regards to Punk and his fitness amounts to excuses. Oh he doesn't like cardio, oh he's tried staying in shape but he says his genes are average, but there he is eating pizza. Next someone will say he doesn't have time, yet he clearly doesn't get much sleep. Why not exercise during those sleepless hours? It's clear at this point he's not even relatively interested in staying in shape. Retiring in 3-5 years, maybe sooner, calling it now.

Shawn Michaels was beaten up badly in a bar
Hulk Hogan has been attacked by fans multiple times, most notably at Bash at the Beach 96
Outside of the US, Canada, and Japan, wrestlers get attacked by fans all the fucking time
Even Big Show was once shoved by a fan at a hotel bar (Big Show then shattered the dude's jaw)

Ithil

Exactly, he doesn't even retain his arm muscles.

Was speaking purely about appearance.

All I've heard in regards to Punk and his fitness amounts to excuses. Oh he doesn't like cardio, oh he's tried staying in shape but he says his genes are average, but there he is eating pizza. Next someone will say he doesn't have time, yet he clearly doesn't get much sleep. Why not exercise during those sleepless hours?

I don't really think it's fair to make judgements on what he does with his spare time, given none of us follow him around 24/7. He doesn't sit up all night eating pizzas, there's a picture of him making a pizza. It's not really the same thing and similar to the fans who make these reaching judgements about Cena, or someone's personal character based on some random dirtsheet article or something, just seems immature.

Example, some bottom of the card jobber gives a shoot interview about how Cena gave him a weird look once in passing, and some fan goes "AHA! I KNEW IT! CENA IS REALLY AN EVIL ASSHOLE MONSTER!". It's all so silly to me, taking some of these vague rumours as facts and basing their whole opinion of a wrestler on them, it's something that belongs in a teen girl's gossip magazine.

I don't really care much that Punk isn't super muscular. It's not like he's ever actually had a problem in the ring due to his build. He goes at full speed for long, long matches, his cardio is fine, and that's the part that's most important to me, that the wrestler isn't gassed and struggling around the ring. It's true that folks like Bryan or PAC who are very built while being short look more impressive than Punk, but that's just for a poster or screenshot, I forget about all that once a match starts.

Hulk Hogan has been attacked by fans multiple times, most notably at Bash at the Beach 97
Outside of the US, Canada, and Japan, wrestlers get attacked by fans all the fucking time
Even Big Show was once shoved by a fan at a hotel bar (Big Show then shattered the dude's jaw)

You really don't know what the fuck you're talking about

Andre the Giant apparently got in a fight with a group of guys before at a bar. Course it ended with him flipping their car over by himself, but still, they picked a fight with him. Might just be a story, but it's been told by a lot of wrestlers from back then.

And Shawn Michaels and HHH were hassled and battered by the mob outside on their way out from the arena after the Montreal Screwjob.

bjork

Hulk Hogan has been attacked by fans multiple times, most notably at Bash at the Beach 97

Poor Vader had to defend himself from the TV show host in like Iraq or whatever, too.

...that's not fair.

Who is the Biollante to Batista's Godzilla? His greatest opponent?

Biollante? Are you serious, really? Biollante?

this guy

Kane. It's Kane.

I'm kidding, Biollante's cool. I love the Blu-Ray that came out a while back

Here, have a lucha gif:

i5xz7dw8yJkcH.gif

http://pwinsider.com/article/75080/the-el-generico-news-you-have-been-waiting-for.html?p=1

Good news, El Generico has passed his medical exams and work papers, etc, so he's officailly been signed to a contract for WWE. He should be on NXT within a few months.

Great, NXT's a decent enough place to start. At least he'll be able to work some decent matches soon.

UberTag

http://pwinsider.com/article/75080/the-el-generico-news-you-have-been-waiting-for.html?p=1

Good news, El Generico has passed his medical exams and work papers, etc, so he's officailly been signed to a contract for WWE. He should be on NXT within a few months.
Good for Generico. Soon he can aspire to becoming the next Bo Dallas.
But probably not. Because he's not the son of a Vince stooge.

At least he can hope to become Bo's lovable sidekick. Like Rosie was to the Hurricane.
Or he can at least job to Bo and sell his offense to make him look amazing.

But he has to work for at least a year in NXT in order to get that chance.
Just like Chris Hero.
He has to earn his spot.

But he has to work for at least a year in NXT in order to get that chance.
Just like Chris Hero.
He has to earn his spot.

Gotta learn dat 'WWE Style'.

And decrease the size of his war crate. Dragonrana? Through-the-ropes Tornado DDT? Top rope BRAINBUSTAAAAAAHHH!!!? That shit won't fly on TV.

Even if WWE do their worst, I'm confident Generico can have a lengthy career there simply due to how good he makes almost any wrestler look.

UberTag

Even if WWE do their worst, I'm confident Generico can have a lengthy career there simply due to how good he makes almost any wrestler look.
You know who will have a lengthy career and makes almost any wrestler look amazingly awesome? Heath Slater.

With 2 or 3 years of work, Generico can surpass Bo Dallas on the depth chart and become the next Slater.

And at the precipice of his career (after two straight years of wrestling Kofi Kingston for no reason), he can rise to the pinnacle of the sport and become Dolph Ziggler. The biggest loser in the WWE for two years running.

(Actually none of this stuff matters. We should be happy for Rami because he's going to make a lot more money and won't have to kill himself all the time. Good for him!)

Incidentally, based on the Smackdown spoilers and Dolph's decree, I'm assuming that Elimination Chamber match will feature
Orton, Sheamus, D.Brine, Kane, Khali and Swagger

Hightower

Banned
Gotta learn dat 'WWE Style'.

And decrease the size of his war crate. Dragonrana? Through-the-ropes Tornado DDT? Top rope BRAINBUSTAAAAAAHHH!!!? That shit won't fly on TV.

Bubububu he's not super ripped! He'll never succeed!

I mean Shawn Michaels, Punk and a bunch of other small guys never made it all that far... right?!?

I would be shocked if the through-the-ropes Tornado DDT gets totally cut from his war crate. There are very few moves that are as visually appealing or as crowd-pleasing as it, so I'm sure it will be one of his PPV staples.

Cagey

Banned
Bubububu he's not super ripped! He'll never succeed!

I mean Shawn Michaels, Punk and a bunch of other small guys never made it all that far... right?!?

Grouping Punk and Michaels together, given the context of the discussion about physiques and appearance, is totally wrong.

jmdajr

I don't really think it's fair to make judgements on what he does with his spare time, given none of us follow him around 24/7. He doesn't sit up all night eating pizzas, there's a picture of him making a pizza. It's not really the same thing and similar to the fans who make these reaching judgements about Cena, or someone's personal character based on some random dirtsheet article or something, just seems immature.

It's true. It's kind of a dick thing to judge Punk the person. At the same time we are watching a show and critiquing a character. And personally ,I think having been champ there could have been a little more effort, but that's just me. I guess wrestling is unique in that even though you are judging a character, a lot of time there is a lot of that person's real personality behind it.

I'll give Punk Credit because his personality, confidence, voice skills have taken him so very, very far. Above his other attributes. You know, he doesn't really have that look and his ring skills are above average. He is no HBK or Bret level. (but to be fair, who is really). So in the end he could just sing, "I did it my way."

jmdajr

Grouping Punk and Michaels together, given the context of the discussion about physiques and appearance, is totally wrong.

HBK truly is one of the greats of all time. Voice skills, the look, and the wrestling skills.

Punk might out do him in the voice department but no way on the other too aspects. Not in my opinion.

Top Bottom