• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Hightower

Banned
Grouping Punk and Michaels together, given the context of the discussion about physiques and appearance, is totally wrong.

True.. considering Michaels was juiced for most of his career and Punk is natural.

Some people just aren't built to be ripped. Nothing wrong with that.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
wrestlers height (and weight) always get exaggerated.

like Kane being billed as 7ft, take 4 or 5 inches from that.
Kane is 6'9" barefoot, and 6'10" with boots on. I'm sure of it because Viscera is a legit 6'9", and he and Kane, when facing each other, were the exact same height.

It depends on your definition of ripped.

Everyone can do it, some will have a harder problem achieving the end goal than others, but it is possible for anyone to do it. That being said, does he need to? It is hard to shoot for multiple goals and considering that he is on the road so much, recovering from that type of lifting regiment would be extremely difficult.

You know who will have a lengthy career and makes almost any wrestler look amazingly awesome? Heath Slater.

With 2 or 3 years of work, Generico can surpass Bo Dallas on the depth chart and become the next Slater.

And at the precipice of his career (after two straight years of wrestling Kofi Kingston for no reason), he can rise to the pinnacle of the sport and become Dolph Ziggler. The biggest loser in the WWE for two years running.

(Actually none of this stuff matters. We should be happy for Rami because he's going to make a lot more money and won't have to kill himself all the time. Good for him!)

Incidentally, based on the Smackdown spoilers and Dolph's decree, I'm assuming that Elimination Chamber match will feature
Orton, Sheamus, D.Brine, Kane, Khali and Swagger

Don't do that. Just don't.

Ithil

Bubububu he's not super ripped! He'll never succeed!

I mean Shawn Michaels, Punk and a bunch of other small guys never made it all that far... right?!?

To be fair Michaels was considered small after the era of Hogan, Warrior, Savage, etc, and by the late 90s Michaels was pretty buff. But no, it's not all about that size. It's better to have diverse guys. Look at their newest crop of guys to come up to the main roster, the differing looks don't impact their chances of looking intimidating:

Cesaro is tall, strong, yet still lean, definitely a pro wrestler look.
Ryback is Vince's meathead type.
Damien Sandow is deceptively tall and big, when he's in his robe pontificating you don't notice, but when he's in dominating heel mode against say Sheamus he can actually look like a real brute.
Dean Ambrose isn't super buff or ripped, but he's noticeably tall so he still looks intimidating in front of others.
Roman Reigns has that Rock circa 2000 build, and Rollins looks like a buffer version of Punk.
Big E is short, and goofy looking, but he'd still rip your head off.
Bo Dallas...well we have to have exceptions, right?

Beats the slew of meatheads we got a number of years ago when there was an influx of new talent. Diverse looks help make a more engaging roster.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't really think it's fair to make judgements on what he does with his spare time, given none of us follow him around 24/7. He doesn't sit up all night eating pizzas, there's a picture of him making a pizza. It's not really the same thing and similar to the fans who make these reaching judgements about Cena, or someone's personal character based on some random dirtsheet article or something, just seems immature.

Example, some bottom of the card jobber gives a shoot interview about how Cena gave him a weird look once in passing, and some fan goes "AHA! I KNEW IT! CENA IS REALLY AN EVIL ASSHOLE MONSTER!". It's all so silly to me, taking some of these vague rumours as facts and basing their whole opinion of a wrestler on them, it's something that belongs in a teen girl's gossip magazine.

I don't really care much that Punk isn't super muscular. It's not like he's ever actually had a problem in the ring due to his build. He goes at full speed for long, long matches, his cardio is fine, and that's the part that's most important to me, that the wrestler isn't gassed and struggling around the ring. It's true that folks like Bryan or PAC who are very built while being short look more impressive than Punk, but that's just for a poster or screenshot, I forget about all that once a match starts.
I don't think it's fair to take me too seriously in this regard.

All I'm saying is Punk should be in better shape since he's on TV and he's billed as a top guy.
Kane is 6'9" barefoot, and 6'10" with boots on. I'm sure of it because Viscera is a legit 6'9", and he and Kane, when facing each other, were the exact same height.
Before the edit you called Kane a can, lol!

FallingEdge said:
How much money does a wrestler make in Japan? I've always been curious about that.

I don't think it's public knowledge really - I'd hazard a guess that New Japan are the closest to WWE in terms of how much they pay their workers, and I get the impression that even smaller companies like DDT or BJW are likely to pay wrestlers more than most US indies. However, it's more of a full-time job, as they're often expected to train at the promotion's dojo daily when not on a tour, whereas indy workers have most of the week free to themselves, outside of bookings. In general, it's probably more profitable to work in Japan, but the biggest obstacle for guys working full time over there seems to be the cultural differences, which can be especially difficult if you don't know Japanese.

Some people just aren't built to be ripped. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. Did you guys see any of Punk's work in OVW? The extra muscle mass he probably felt like he had to put on to even get a shot at being called up most certainly didn't do him any favours in the ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Godzilla's best movie was vs Biollante, but my favorite opponent of Godzilla's is Gigan. I really loved the design of Gigan they used in Final Wars - dope as hell. Godzilla vs Megalon was a flawed but really enjoyable movie to me.

jmdajr

Godzilla's best movie was vs Biollante, but my favorite opponent of Godzilla's is Gigan. I really loved the design of Gigan they used in Final Wars - dope as hell. Godzilla vs Megalon was a flawed but really enjoyable movie to me.

Googles*

Hmmm. Looks cool!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You know a lot about Kane.
When he was Yankem, he was listed as 6'9". When he debuted as Kane, he was listed as 6'10".

They started listing him as 7' when Big Show debuted, because they billed Big Show as 7'2", and they didn't want the size difference to be too great. However, when they started billing Show as his correct height of 7', they never corrected Kane's height, and just kept saying that he's 7' too.

Ithil

I don't think it's fair to take me too seriously in this regard.

All I'm saying is Punk should be in better shape since he's on TV and he's billed as a top guy.

There's really got to be a limit on what I can and can't take seriously in WrassleGAF. If everyone is "working" everyone else and getting worked in turn, it's impossible to follow.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Steve Austin
@steveaustinBSR
Godzilla vs Megalon back in the day. #fb

x2_fe1e247

I was on my cell phone. :(

Iv always been partial to King ghidoarh and Megalon.

sunny thoughts on mechagodzilla. i like it proably beacuse it was te first godzila movie i watched

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Iv always been partial to King ghidoarh and Megalon.

sunny thoughts on mechagodzilla. i like it proably beacuse it was te first godzila movie i watched

I liked vs Mechagodzilla as it felt like a good progression of what Godzilla's toughest enemy should be - a technological terror! Poor Anguirus though. Underrated little feller.

SqW1JOx.jpg

Ithil

Pfft, Megalon is lame. Kane is no Megalon, he's at least a Gigan.

Cena is Jet Jaguar. Goofy looking, bright colours, creator's pet, kid friendly, and when faced with monsters that are simply out of his league in power and size, literally makes himself bigger so he can overshadow the crowd favourite Godzilla and get himself over.

FinalWarsGigan.jpg

Gigan is GOAT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Cena is Jet Jaguar. Goofy looking, bright colours, creator's pet, kid friendly, and when faced with monsters that are simply out of his league in power and size, literally makes himself bigger so he can overshadow the crowd favourite Godzilla and get himself over.

Wow, you're not wrong about Jet Jaguar. Also, some stupid parents and a child built him, so that explains everything! "Jet Jaguaaaaar!"

Also Megalon is not lame :( I have this shirt!

h6QGxAb.jpg

I don't think it's public knowledge really - I'd hazard a guess that New Japan are the closest to WWE in terms of how much they pay their workers, and I get the impression that even smaller companies like DDT or BJW are likely to pay wrestlers more than most US indies. However, it's more of a full-time job, as they're often expected to train at the promotion's dojo daily when not on a tour, whereas indy workers have most of the week free to themselves, outside of bookings. In general, it's probably more profitable to work in Japan, but the biggest obstacle for guys working full time over there seems to be the cultural differences, which can be especially difficult if you don't know Japanese.

That is what I figured. I know this is just more random bs but if I was a wrestler, I would want to wrestle and live in Japan. Prolly because I haven't traveled outside of the US very much but I think it be great to live it up there for a few years.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There's really got to be a limit on what I can and can't take seriously in WrassleGAF. If everyone is "working" everyone else and getting worked in turn, it's impossible to follow.
Whether or not I am being serious my point remains that he should look better considering his position and if he gets a gut and isn't going for that Tensai look then ya'll should be right there with me.

How much money does a wrestler make in Japan? I've always been curious about that.

Supposedly, the mid-to-top card guys get paid somewhere between $10,000-20,000 a month.
I read that Hiroshi Tanahashi makes about $260,000 per year, and he's a pretty important guy in NJPW. Minoru Suzuki's no slouch either, and last year he made an estimated $13,000; he didn't have a long time contract with the company then, and I don't really know what his pay is now. This is all coming from little scraps of the Observer that I found here and there.

I don't know what the lower-level guys get paid, or if any of the wrestlers get anything from merchandise, but I imagine that they would get the same treatment at the other big feds in Japan.

Hightower

Banned
Exactly. Did you guys see any of Punk's work in OVW? The extra muscle mass he probably felt like he had to put on to even get a shot at being called up most certainly didn't do him any favours in the ring.

i did...

He had that extra weight just made him slow and look bloated. He's just not built to carry that kind of weight.

I'll take a guy with a lot of cardio that can work 40 minutes solid over the meathead that can't go 10. We saw that at the Rumble. Rock was gasping shortly into the match, Punk was ready to run a marathon.

jmdajr

i did...

He had that extra weight just made him slow and look bloated. He's just not built to carry that kind of weight.

I'll take a guy with a lot of cardio that can work 40 minutes solid over the meathead that can't go 10. We saw that at the Rumble. Rock was gasping shortly into the match, Punk was ready to run a marathon.

Remember when Rock did that Iron man match? Yeah.
The guy he wrestled was awesome too!

I liked vs Mechagodzilla as it felt like a good progression of what Godzilla's toughest enemy should be - a technological terror! Poor Anguirus though. Underrated little feller.

Poor, poor Anguirus - the longer the series went on, the more he jobbed out to every 20 ton skell that stomped onto Okinawa. And he would get FUCKED UP.

I've got to agree with you on Godzilla vs Biollante, though - it's my favorite movie in the series.

You're giving Jet Jaguar way too much credit, dude. He got sidelined in his own movie (because the higher-ups thought he couldn't become popular on his own, so they added Godzilla), got his ass beat, and basically disappeared after his first proper appearance. He's Zack Ryder. He's Max Moon's dad. It doesn't get any more pathetic than that.

Supposedly, the mid-to-top card guys get paid somewhere between $10,000-20,000 a month.
I read that Hiroshi Tanahashi makes about $260,000 per year, and he's a pretty important guy in NJPW. Minoru Suzuki's no slouch either, and last year he made an estimated $13,000; he didn't have a long time contract with the company then, and I don't really know what his pay is now. This is all coming from little scraps of the Observer that I found here and there.

I don't know what the lower-level guys get paid, or if any of the wrestlers get anything from merchandise, but I imagine that they would get the same treatment at the other big feds in Japan.

That makes sense. I always thought that wrestling in Japan is better financially, but it is more of a matter of the individual would fit in culture wise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Poor, poor Anguirus - the longer the series went on, the more he jobbed out to every 20 ton skell that stomped onto Okinawa. And he would get FUCKED UP.

I've got to agree with you on Godzilla vs Biollante, though - it's my favorite movie in the series.

Especially in the late 80s which was when vs Biollante was made, it was a pretty creative monster to have. I really liked Biollante.

Man, Anguirus...didn't need to see him get kicked 40 miles...

jmdajr

Today's Rock couldn't do that. We saw that for a fact.

He may look like a brick shit house, but he'd be winded by the time he ran down the ramp.

Yeah but Rocky wasn't flabby when that match happened. HHH also looked pretty phenomenal.
Bret, Shawn...looked good. etc. You can look good and go the distance.
Who else had one? Brock/Angle?

Top Bottom