• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Recently got an episode of AJPW classics with four really cool matches taped for AJPW TV back in 1982 that they dubbed the 'Dream Match Series'. We start off with some good wrestling between Dory Funk Jr. & The Super Destroyer (the late Scott Irwin), followed by a battle of technicians as Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat faces off against the legendary Harley Race. Things kick up a gear in the next match as Terry Funk takes on Bruiser Brody, which unsurprisingly turns out to be a rather bloody and violent affair with Brody slicing the side of Terry's head open early on and, as Terry sees red, he does his best to pay back the Bruiser in kind. Eventually, the match breaks down as Stan Hansen tries to interfere, only to be stopped by Dory. Both teams battle it out and it looks like Hansen & Brody have the advantage, until Jumbo Tsuruta comes out swinging a chair and clears the ring to set up the last match of the series: Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta. This is everything you'd expect from a match between these two. Jumbo tries to keep it in the ring, but Stan is having none of it and does his best to ensure the match turns into a wild and crazy brawl. Real fun stuff, check it out;

ALL JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING, 12/07/1982
Fukuoka Kokusai Center

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ewxq

DREAM MATCH SERIES

01. Dory Funk Jr. vs Super Destroyer

02. Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat vs Harley Race

03. Terry Funk vs Bruiser Brody

04. Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Bootaaay, you've made me put down my Vita on my lunch break and watch this instead. Win-win!

Cagey

Banned
I'm going to Monday night Raw in 2 weeks, and I'm thinking of making a Wrassle GAF sign. Since all of you love talking about John Cena, I thought of making a "Wrassle GAF wants more Cena" sign.

IT'S WRASSLEGAF WEEK.

or

a big picture of duct tape.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm going to Monday night Raw in 2 weeks, and I'm thinking of making a Wrassle GAF sign. Since all of you love talking about John Cena, I thought of making a "Wrassle GAF wants more Cena" sign.

WrassleGAF loves you...
Until you get a push!

Striker

Rumble 97 is crazy. Kane as fake Diesel. Rumble not the final match. A crazy mix of both the worst of WWF from the nineties and some of their absolute best stars. Bret Hart, Stone Cold, Mankind, The Rock, HHH, with the Godwins, Pharoh, and some other Jabronis I can barely remember.
Fake Diesel lasted quite a bit in that Rumble, too.

Sigh, the Hart-Austin feud was good. :(

They've announced the format for the EVOLVE Title Tournament, and, being a Gabe invention, it seems unnecessarily convoluted;

EVOLVE will crown its first champion on April 5th at WrestleCon at the Meadowlands Expo Center in Secaucus, NJ. We will now release the first significant information on the tournament:

Format:
-The EVOLVE Title Tourney will closely follow the NFL conference playoff format.
-This means the 1st and 2nd seeds will get byes.
-There will be two wildcard matches with the winners facing the 1st & 2nd seeds in the semi-finals.
-The winners of those two matches will fight in the finals to determine the first champion.
-It is possible that the lower seeded wildcard match will be a Freestyle, which would make getting a higher seed even more important.

Eligibility & Seeding:
-The seeding will be determined by a combination of Record and winning % with the EVOLVE Leaderboard used in tiebreaker situations. We understand there will not be a perfect system, and any issues will be resolved on the Dragon Gate USA events in California.
-A wrestler must have competed on no fewer than six (33% of total) EVOLVE cards to be eligible. This is to insure that the competitor has at least been a semi-regular over a span of time in EVOLVE.
-An exception to the 33% rule is the possibility of sending out an international invitation to the tournament.

Also, two matches signed for Dragon Gate USA in California on January 25th;

. The Young Bucks vs Sami Callihan & Arik Cannon
. Jimmy Susumu & Ryo Saito vs Johnny Gargano & Rich Swann

Plus, signed for DGUSA on January 27th;

. Ryo Saito vs Samuray Del Sol

Really like the look of that singles match. Saito's a pretty big guy for a jr. and should provide a great opponent for Del Sol. Not so enthused about the EVOLVE title tournament, sounds dumb and convoluted.

jred2k

Hopefully Punk will be on top of his game. Unfortunately Ryback will spoil everything.

It says a lot about the current WWE that most seems to be more excited about Rock returning instead of the TLC match between Punk and Ryback. I just hope Ryback doesn't fuck something up and make Punk join Seth Rollins in the land of the dead wrasslers.

Kyoufu

It says a lot about the current WWE that most seems to be more excited about Rock returning instead of the TLC match between Punk and Ryback. I just hope Ryback doesn't fuck something up and make Punk join Seth Rollins in the land of the dead wrasslers.

Yep. Ryback sucks.

Punk vs Rock is the only thing that has excited me in the past year. Two legit superstars who could give us one hell of a main event in any era.

SoulPlaya will see first hand how good Punk is against an Attitude Era legend.

Aiii

So not worth it

All it says is we never see Rock and he's a legend that everyone loves. It says nothing about current WWE.

Also, Ryback was great in the match with The Shield. Give the guy some props dudes.

Kyoufu

All it says is we never see Rock and he's a legend that everyone loves. It says nothing about current WWE.

Also, Ryback was great in the match with The Shield. Give the guy some props dudes.

It does say a lot about current WWE. They've failed to make a handful of main event stars.

Cagey

Banned
The only reason the Ryback v. Punk match lacks any excitement is that The Rock has a title match in a few weeks, and thus none of us expect a title change prior to that.

And that's not The Rock's fault, either. Did WWE really need him announcing that title shot months ago? It couldn't have been a New Year's Surprise?

Imagine the TLC match happens, Punk wins via some Shield interference, he's laughing and looking relieved... and then "do you smell what The Rock is cookin?" drops. Out comes Rocky, declaring he's throwing down the gauntlet: Punk v. Rock at Royal Rumble.

Nah, that wouldn't cause any buzz. Fuck am I thinking.

They've announced the format for the EVOLVE Title Tournament, and, being a Gabe invention, it seems unnecessarily convoluted;

I won't lie, I'm a big fucking nerd about looking at numbers/stats so seeing codified rules regarding a wrestling tournament sort of makes my panties wet (especially if they can stick to them and not throw in stupid bullshit when plans change... TNA).

"The Numbers" promo they always play leading up to the Rumble nowadays is one of my favourite WWE things, even if they bullshit some of the figures in it and intentionally ignore certain parts of history.

jred2k

It's probably just the cynic in me. Actually, I'm pretty bummed the match isn't getting a bit more attention. I think its going to end up being a fun match and a much better way to end the show than people getting shit dropped on them. I feel like the lack of interest is very much a product of the sense that there is no chance the title changes hands.

I'm hoping the can do something interesting with ADR/Big Show too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Recently got an episode of AJPW classics with four really cool matches taped for AJPW TV back in 1982 that they dubbed the 'Dream Match Series'. We start off with some good wrestling between Dory Funk Jr. & The Super Destroyer (the late Scott Irwin), followed by a battle of technicians as Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat faces off against the legendary Harley Race. Things kick up a gear in the next match as Terry Funk takes on Bruiser Brody, which unsurprisingly turns out to be a rather bloody and violent affair with Brody slicing the side of Terry's head open early on and, as Terry sees red, he does his best to pay back the Bruiser in kind. Eventually, the match breaks down as Stan Hansen tries to interfere, only to be stopped by Dory. Both teams battle it out and it looks like Hansen & Brody have the advantage, until Jumbo Tsuruta comes out swinging a chair and clears the ring to set up the last match of the series: Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta. This is everything you'd expect from a match between these two. Jumbo tries to keep it in the ring, but Stan is having none of it and does his best to ensure the match turns into a wild and crazy brawl. Real fun stuff, check it out;

ALL JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING, 12/07/1982
Fukuoka Kokusai Center

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2ewxq

DREAM MATCH SERIES

01. Dory Funk Jr. vs Super Destroyer

02. Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat vs Harley Race

03. Terry Funk vs Bruiser Brody

04. Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta

Watched this at lunch and it was wonderful. Watch it, everyone else! 80s wrestling in Japan is super goddamn dope.

Yep. Ryback sucks.

Punk vs Rock is the only thing that has excited me in the past year. Two legit superstars who could give us one hell of a main event in any era.

SoulPlaya will see first hand how good Punk is against an Attitude Era legend.

Rock could elevate Punk to a whole nother level. I know Punk would never admit that to himself, but it really could.

I want Flair in WWE full time damn it!
I like Ryback, but I am not 100% sold on him
Ziggles is ready I mean he is really ready

Tonight will be the greatest night in the history of our sport.
Im hyped.

Ive been in the danger zone!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I tell ya, the urge to replace Laserfrog's music in GWF is very strong.

I'd like to change it to The Who's "The Seeker" because it's good, and fits him.

McNei1y

I wonder how many times The Rock, or people talking about The Rock, will advertise GI Joe 2, Fast Sex, and the weightlifting movie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How I feel after most RAWs:

3Z5g9.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He's around long enough this time for a Welness test, surely? That'd be interesting.

Rock isn't under contract to WWE so he's not required to do Wellness, from what I had heard. However this is Internet Contracts & Competition speaking so who knows the truth?

No way he's "well" though. Nooooo way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait until the day GWF finally jumps the Shark Johnson.

If the time travel didn't do it, then the GWF is untouchable.

However in the future, much like Fatal Match there will be...

gasp...

MURDERS

aND THERE ain't no comin' back!~

Top Bottom