• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watched one episode of 2001 WCW and that was enough.

I used to like Natural Born Thrillers as a kid, but that's because everything else was so awful. And now, after watching that, oh god they're reallly awful too. Mark Jindrak and Stasiak just cut the most unconvincing promo I've ever seen. And when you look at the 'big guys' of this time, you don't have anyone with the 'it' factor. Like Booker T is the only one I'd give that to.

somedevil

Early news on the Mick Foley DVD:

WWE's forthcoming DVD release on Mick Foley will be titled, "For All Mankind: The Life & Career of Mick Foley," according to WWEDVDNews.com. The home video release is scheduled for April 16, one week after WrestleMania/Hall of Fame Weekend.

The documentary portion of the DVD will include interviews with Foley, Terry Funk, Paul Heyman, Sheamus, Shane Douglas, Vader, Jim Ross, Joey Styles, Dee Snider of "Twisted Sister," and Dominic Denucci, who trained Foley.

JR just posted on the twitter that he is a fan of the El Generico signing. I'm really glad the guy got signed, but I'm really going to miss seeing him at indie show's. Anytime Generico was on the card you knew you were getting your monies worth. I also don't want him to get unmasked, El Generico is tv ready for PG WWE. The E could start printing money off those mask sales.

JR just posted on the twitter that he is a fan of the El Generico signing. I'm really glad the guy got signed, but I'm really going to miss seeing him at indie show's. Anytime Generico was on the card you knew you were getting your monies worth. I also don't want him to get unmasked, El Generico is tv ready for PG WWE. The E could start printing money off those mask sales.

yep

Ithil

Dude is the real luchador they've wanted. Speaks Spanish and English, is completely American style (luchador gimmick aside) and of course is particularly gifted.

Not to say Sin Cara isn't gifted, but he's had a lot of stumbling blocks. With Rey Mysterio on the verge of retirement, El Generico mask sales should be a neat thing for them, if they notice it (and don't just pointlessly unmask him).

I think Generico will still "be" Generico when he gets to FCW but I wouldnt bet on him staying that way by the time he reaches TV.

Then again if Triple H likes him he will be world champion by summerslam so we dont really have to worry about him that much.

chunk3rvd

As far as I know, his only indie commitment is PWG's DDT4, which is this weekend.

Definitely not and I hope you can all patiently wait a month or so as I have tickets to all 3 Dragon Gate UK shows next month and he's advertised for them. Will be gutted if he can't make it over. He's already booked to face Ricochet on the 2nd night which should be spectacular

I watched one episode of 2001 WCW and that was enough.

I used to like Natural Born Thrillers as a kid, but that's because everything else was so awful. And now, after watching that, oh god they're reallly awful too. Mark Jindrak and Stasiak just cut the most unconvincing promo I've ever seen. And when you look at the 'big guys' of this time, you don't have anyone with the 'it' factor. Like Booker T is the only one I'd give that to.

speaking of 2001 WCW, Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo were headed for big things when WCW folded, i honestly believed they were future main eventers.

strobogo

Banned
I think O'Haire could have been a flashier star, but Chuck would have been the star who could really get down and wrassle. It's really a shame that Vince let WCW be stain for them. They were so young, they easily could have been rebuilt them in the WWF image. I've always kind of felt they got the shaft even more than Booker and DDP during that time.

Man, there was so much filler crap on that Invasion PPV.

Earl Hebner vs. Nick Patrick?

Raven vs. William Regal?

Kanyon, Shawn Stasiak, and Hugh Morrus vs. Albert, The Big Show, and Billy Gunn?

Chavo Guerrero vs. Scotty 2 Hotty?

This was the highest-purchased PPV ever?

strobogo

Banned
The whole Invasion angle is easily the most disappointing angle of all time. Vince should have spent the money to get the big WCW names. The worst part is that he DID end up bringing pretty much every big star besides Sting in the next 2 years. Including Ric Flair the VERY NEXT NIGHT after the Invasion angle wrapped up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Turner wouldn't sell the contracts one by one and the only one Vince really wanted was Goldberg as he had bad blood with a lot of the rest of them...even though he brought them all in later.

The whole Invasion angle is easily the most disappointing angle of all time. Vince should have spent the money to get the big WCW names. The worst part is that he DID end up bringing pretty much every big star besides Sting in the next 2 years. Including Ric Flair the VERY NEXT NIGHT after the Invasion angle wrapped up.

Let's not forget they signed Hogan, Hall, and Nash a month after the Invasion ended, lol. They didn't show up until the February PPV, but they were being teased for a while.

I still contend they should have brought in Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Bischoff to re-do the nWo and join up with WCW to take out Vince. That would have been awesome. What did we get instead? 15-minute Stephanie "look at my new fake titties" promos each week.

bangai-o

Banned
Let's not forget they signed Hogan, Hall, and Nash a month after the Invasion ended, lol. They didn't show up until the February PPV, but they were being teased for a while.

I still contend they should have brought in Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Bischoff to re-do the nWo and join up with WCW to take out Vince. That would have been awesome. What did we get instead? 15-minute Stephanie "look at my new fake titties" promos each week.

did Vince really just want to bury DDP or did he not care because he was about to retire anyway?

Ozone

Catching up on some episodes of NXT, and it's making me even more upset how they've neutered Big E's character on the main shows. He's really enjoyable on NXT with the 5 count gimmick. :(

strobogo

Banned

Yeah, it's nonsense. They would bring in Flair, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Rey, Steiner, and Bischoff all within a year of ending the angle and then Goldberg after that. Made no sense at all. It would have been worth it to buy the contracts of the guys he didn't want just to fire them so he could get the ones he did want. And he ended up bringing them in all one at a time anyway. And he'd bring in lesser stars years later, too.

It sure seems like he got everyone he wanted one a time, so why couldn't it be done in 2001? And of the guys he did bring in, he treated like shit and basically stalled out all the careers of everyone besides Booker T in America.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, it's nonsense. They would bring in Flair, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Rey, Steiner, and Bischoff all within a year of ending the angle and then Goldberg after that. Made no sense at all. It would have been worth it to buy the contracts of the guys he didn't want just to fire them so he could get the ones he did want. And he ended up bringing them in all one at a time anyway. And he'd bring in lesser stars years later, too.

It sure seems like he got everyone he wanted one a time, so why couldn't it be done in 2001? And of the guys he did bring in, he treated like shit and basically stalled out all the careers of everyone besides Booker T in America.

Out of the original crew he got the only viable stars were Booker T and Scott Steiner so 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

The contracts those guys had were for multi-millions a year, and had creative control clauses, etc. Vince decided instead to wait it out and negotiate a better position for himself. Plus, a lot of guys didn't want to work the hectic WWE schedule, and were happy collecting big checks at home. Hell, it took them a while to get Goldberg to agree to work for them, and he refused to do any house shows. He also got a mil guaranteed for one year, which I'm sure was much smaller than his WCW guarantee.

DMczaf

why assume she does this? she could be a virgin for all we know.

tumblr_mffvtr4FAV1s16w8co1_250.gif

strobogo

Banned
DDP was and should have been a viable star. Turning him into a creepy stalker who got the shit beat out of him by Mrs. Taker and squashed by Taker himself even in non matches completely ruined him. All the guys they brought in could have been made stars or rehabbed pretty easily by a capable team like WWF had at the time.

The ECW involvement was also so..bleh. That first night was incredible, until the end of the show. A guy like Mike Awesome could have been saved from everything WCW did to him. And guys like Kanyon and Hugh Morris should have been solid mid card guys for years instead of jokes or not even on TV for months at a time.

I bet the C shows during the Invasion era were better than the main shows.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Man, there was so much filler crap on that Invasion PPV.

Earl Hebner vs. Nick Patrick?

Raven vs. William Regal?

Kanyon, Shawn Stasiak, and Hugh Morrus vs. Albert, The Big Show, and Billy Gunn?

Chavo Guerrero vs. Scotty 2 Hotty?

This was the highest-purchased PPV ever?

I just looked at the card, aside from like... the main event, I remember none of those matches.

Edge and Christian vs. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome? That sounds like it could've been awesome.

And looking it over, WCW/ECW guys won most of the matches. Hell, they won the main event though that was because Austin turned on the WWF.

strobogo

Banned
So I put in this other hard drive I had. It's a solid sate Seagate. Why is it so fucking slow? This computer now acts like something from 1996. It has a fresh install of Windows 7, it wasn't slow in the other machine that had high specs, but this runs agonizingly slow. Multi tasking locks the computer up for seconds at a time, more than one tab open brings up script errors.

What the fuck, guys? Can I fix this somehow? It's making finishing this Thunder review literally take hours. Is there some way to change the disk speed or something techy? Help me NERDS!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why is WWE.com trolling again?

Ten Dream Matches That Actually Happened:

Let’s all face some facts. We’re never going to see “Stone Cold” Steve Austin go one-on-one with Hulk Hogan, Bret “Hit Man” Hart won’t be testing his technical abilities against Kurt Angle and there’s no way Sting will ever attempt to break The Undertaker’s WrestleMania Streak.

bangai-o

Banned
So I put in this other hard drive I had. It's a solid sate Seagate. Why is it so fucking slow? This computer now acts like something from 1996. It has a fresh install of Windows 7, it wasn't slow in the other machine that had high specs, but this runs agonizingly slow. Multi tasking locks the computer up for seconds at a time, more than one tab open brings up script errors.

What the fuck, guys? Can I fix this somehow? It's making finishing this Thunder review literally take hours. Is there some way to change the disk speed or something techy? Help me NERDS!

com-pu-ters? did you plug in the xbox?

Top Bottom