• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

They have talent, but do they have the ability build for such match in order to take total advantage of their amazing roster?

That's why I think a 5 star match is not going to happen for the WWE anytime soon.

It's not can't. It's won't.

You said can't. They can they just won't do what needs to be done to put one on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They have talent, but do they have the ability build for such match in order to take total advantage of their amazing roster?

That's why I think a 5 star match is not going to happen for the WWE anytime soon.

This is where Big Dave's real hypocrisy lies. He'll give 5 stars to pure technical matches in Japan that occur in the middle of round robin tournaments but doesn't give the same respect to similar matches in the middle of bad feuds in western promotions because the build holds it back.

Ithil

After 5 year with lots of happy moments and numerous plans for the future, my fianceé and I just broke up. In the span of 4 months I lost 2 grandparents, my mother was diagnosed with cancer and the person I thought would be part of my future is no longer part if my life, all while my home and family are all the way on the other side of the planet.

Man, taking that ring off of my finger hurt so bad.

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Some random thrown together PWG 6 man with no build whatsoever and just a bunch of spots to impress grandpa dave got 5 stars

WWE can easily do that

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm honestly fascinated at how Bullet Club went from "Holy shit, Bullet Club! The mosy badass thing in wrestling today!" to "uggggghh, it's Bullet Club..."

The-Young-Bucks-2015-600x250.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hero does 2 or 3 months on NXT and house shows, he'll be looking fine.

It is a little concerning for the long term that the past handful of acquisitions or main eventers are mid 30s and over. Joe, Roode, Strong (?), Aries, Nak, now Hero. I know they're all in their prime, but surely they should be looking at people a little younger, for a decent 2-3 year run in NXT mid card before moving them up or onwards.

It's not like Chris Hero wasn't booked all of the time on the independent scene.

The music rights shit on NJPW World makes me angry.

Fuck that shit

Most of that is the older music from before they thought about broadcasting outside of Japan (90% of WK's unbroadcastable songs were for the older guys in the battle royale).

I'd hope any themes from now on they commission, they make sure they get international clearance for, because it does give off a somewhat unprofessional feeling.

Cody being in the Bullet Club only makes it more obvious how devoid of character he is

You'd think being an ex-WWE guy from wrasslin' royalty would be a pretty easy point to jump off from. Instead he just goes out and waves a gun around constantly like he's a badass

For all intents and purposes you have nothing to do with that group and you're contributing nothing. Great job

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cody being in the Bullet Club only makes it more obvious how devoid of character he is

You'd think being an ex-WWE guy from wrasslin' royalty would be a pretty easy point to jump off from. Instead he just goes out and waves a gun around constantly like he's a badass

For all intents and purposes you have nothing to do with that group and you're contributing nothing. Great job

It's not actually an easy point because Cody is generic and average in the ring. He just has a high opinion of himself. Like, who else but Cody Rhodes thinks the WWE missed the boat on Cody Rhodes?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Seeing the young bucks make me want to have somebody go out and just shoot on them
Is that not the point? You're supposed to find them annoying, hate them and want to see them lose. That was my impression seeing them for the first time at WK11. I mean they were really fucking annoying and I wanted them to lose.

Tall4Life

This is where Big Dave's real hypocrisy lies. He'll give 5 stars to pure technical matches in Japan that occur in the middle of round robin tournaments but doesn't give the same respect to similar matches in the middle of bad feuds in western promotions because the build holds it back.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of those kinds of matches from the G1. For one, there is the overall story of the points involved in the tournament. The story going into Omega/Naito which got 5 stars was that Naito just needed to have a draw in the match and he'd go on to the finals. Omega was desperate for a win and needed it to make it to the finals. The match was built around that. Ishii/Okada was built around Okada being a cocky son of a bitch and Ishii having none of it. I'm simplifying it but you are implying that there is little to no story in these "pure technical matches" but that is incredibly far from the truth.

And it's very hard for me to think of matches that should have gotten 5 stars if it was the same match just with a better build.

It's not actually an easy point because Cody is generic and average in the ring. He just has a high opinion of himself. Like, who else but Cody Rhodes thinks the WWE missed the boat on Cody Rhodes?
Well yeah, he's only further proving that. I meant you'd think it'd be a good jumping off point for someone who was as good as he thinks he is

Bronx-Man

Banned
Is that not the point? You're supposed to find them annoying, hate them and want to see them lose. That was my impression seeing them for the first time at WK11. I mean they were really fucking annoying and I wanted them to lose.
True, but some see it as going pretty close to X-Pac Heat territory.

Beefy

Yeah I thought the same. It was my first time seeing them as well.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of those kinds of matches from the G1. For one, there is the overall story of the points involved in the tournament. The story going into Omega/Naito which got 5 stars was that Naito just needed to have a draw in the match and he'd go on to the finals. Omega was desperate for a win and needed it to make it to the finals. The match was built around that. Ishii/Okada was built around Okada being a cocky son of a bitch and Ishii having none of it. I'm simplifying it but you are implying that there is little to no story in these "pure technical matches" but that is incredibly far from the truth.

And it's very hard for me to think of matches that should have gotten 5 stars if it was the same match just with a better build.
Zayn vs Nakamura?

Caderfix

Some random thrown together PWG 6 man with no build whatsoever and just a bunch of spots to impress grandpa dave got 5 stars

WWE can easily do that

I'm not talking about Meltzer's rating though. I really don't care about that and honestly don't follow him at all.

I'm talking about how good the match and how high the stakes were to me. The angle of a litteral outsider rising within the ranks of an outsider stable inside of a prideful Japanese organization saying he'd make things better, global and such was EXTREMELY effective as a match building angle to me. It wasn't particular good booking or anything like that, it was just a very hot angle that happened, and, in the end, both man delivered well beyond expectation.

The WWE doesn't have that right now and in order to make me as invested would require a very interesting storyline.

Now talking about wrestling exclusively, I don't remember being that impressed with a WWE match since when I was a kid watching WMX7.

Young Bucks go beyond being so annoying that I want to see them lose, they just make me not want to see them full stop.

I'm still holding out the hope that whenever she finally appears, it's somehow something that actually works.
She's getting the Brodus Clay redebut, it's being pushed back so much when she finally arrives it'll be because she was arriving from PLANET FUNK.

Roman vs Stroman....
STRO? Man

Not really, we just got extremely lucky with WM30. 29, 31, and 32 all sucked.

31 was solid, throw 27 in there instead.

Fox318

True but the bucks venture into making me tell somebody "Hold my beer".

The English commentary for the Yujiro Takahashi entrance is downright creepy and they film the women exactly how Vince would.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I don't want to see them lose. I don't want to see them at all. I skip their shit and they distract from matches when they're outside of the ring.

Top Bottom