• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

The young bucks are the best tag team in the universe
Entrance2.gif
Prove him wrong. Marks.

The Young Bucks have put over a decade of work into the tag team division around the world. If you don't at least somewhat respect them now, then I don't know when anyone could come around on them.

DMczaf

The Young Bucks have put over a decade of work into the tag team division around the world. If you don't at least somewhat respect them now, then I don't know when anyone could come around on them.

I can't read your posts without the Lapsed Fan Russo accent.

DM and RBH alert!!!!!!!!!

Al Snow said:
Nothing is a shoot. Everything is a work, OK? And that's the truth. It's a work. You don't put anything on TV [that's not]. In Tough Enough 4, part of SmackDown, against my advice, because hey what do I know? They wanted to do that shoot thing where Kurt shoot wrestled all the Tough Enough contestants and then Daniel Puder hooked him and had him in a bad way. You never put shoot stuff on TV! You never do that!

Fox318

I'm half way thru Omega and Okada

So many little things NJPW does that WWE doesn't do anymore.

People being outside of the ring
The danger of a barricade instead of a padded wall
The ref telling guys they need to work
People ringside
Women screaming bloody murder when the Baby face gets hurt.
Photographers and other people ringside really add to the feel.

I really think I'm going to watch a lot more NJPW this year. It's a nice change to watch wrestling and not be inundated with a McMahon ego jerk fest or a constant reminder that it's 3rd rate in production or managment.(TNA/ROH)

DMczaf

People ringside

I really think I'm going to watch a lot more NJPW this year. It's a nice change to watch wrestling and not be inundated with a McMahon ego jerk fest or a constant reminder that it's 3rd rate in production or managment.(TNA/ROH)

It just comes down to everything feels natural and right. It doesn't feel fake, overproduced and full of Marketing Lingo.

You could say NJPW has that old school WCW/NWA feel for main event matches.

Jerm411

People ringside

One thing I love about them is how they make moves, esp. run of the mill or mundane moves, feel important and really add to the match.

I marked out when Okada hit the drop kick and I was like wait it was just a drop kick lol....

....ok the first bit confuses me, because we've seen non-contracted guys all over the goddamn place on Smackdown and NXT

Ibushi was going to sign then flaked out but if Trips still has a boner for him they could make a Mania thing happen

We see non-contracted guys as nameless jobbers. Not advertised and heavily promoted. Unless you count Ellsworth I guess, but there was never really a danger of him going and being a star elsewhere.

Anth0ny

People ringside

why have women screaming bloody murder when the babyface gets hurt

when we can have crowd shots of bored children when babyface roman reigns is in peril?

1554325_ociswv.gif

We see non-contracted guys as nameless jobbers. Not advertised and heavily promoted. Unless you count Ellsworth I guess, but there was never really a danger of him going and being a star elsewhere.

Ellsworth, Spirit Squad, spoilers I guess
Deonna
, a few others

NXT had Liger and Mickie pop in, Ibushi rolls in there sometimes, etc etc

It's kind of a weird mix

Fox318

It just comes down to everything feels natural and right. It doesn't feel fake, overproduced and full of Marketing Lingo.

You could say NJPW has that old school WCW/NWA feel for main event matches.
They take their time and matches still features the pauses in action that we see in matches here.

Also helps that each of the impact moves feel like they could end it. Here we would have somebody like Kevin Owens just going from move to move to get over that despite his waist size he can flip. There we had Omega working the back and Okada just trying to fucking surivive.

I also love that defending professional wrestling and the shield of NJPW is part of the story. That's completely gone from the WWE. In Lucha and in Japan you still get people standing up against dishonor and disrespectful behavior. Aside from cheap xenophobic heat against Rusev there is no attempt by the WWE. Nobody is trying to defend Sports Entertainment because that's sounds fucking dumb. Instead we get a product that is dedicated to getting McMahons over.

The story Bobby Heenan tells on his book about starting a brawl because some people walked in on heels and faces hanging out is amazing.

Kayfabe was the best

DMczaf

The story Bobby Heenan tells on his book about starting a brawl because some people walked in on heels and faces hanging out is amazing.

Kayfabe was the best

The best part is that it was a worked brawl, with heels selling offense in the middle of a hallway.

God damn WRASSLIN

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Either Cornette or Heyman, I think Cornette, has a story about Bossman where he smashes his finger on the door of a taxi cab. Played it cool tough guy the entire trip then when the driver drives off just starts wailing and swearing up a storm

'Just smashed my finger on an @Ubercar vehicle. Wow nice regulations guys! :'( #NoPainNoGain #LegitHurtSmarks '

cordy

Banned

People ringside

A great thing about this match, the hype around it and publicity is that apparently WWE's NOW going to try to put on a class A match to end WM. It's kinda funny, it took this long for them to only wanna put on the best main event possible lol. Hilarious. On the other hand, I'm seeing tons of wrestlers post, talk, mention and reference it all through social media. Even people who didn't watch NJPW (like myself) am now fans after this match. It's changing something. I mean even Cena posted a picture of Omega on his IG today. I'm just glad this match is doing something.

Watch WWE change some stuff due to this match. I mean if they did some stuff due to TNA, this will definitely send some shockwaves.

And then watch em change shit back a few weeks later because we know how this crazy company is lol.

cordy

Banned
Lol at WWE ending Mania with a "great" match do to wk 11. It going to end with the big dog or the man you can't see.

Cena is a great wrestler. If he's one of the ones they want to end WM I have no problem. It's his opponent that's an issue.

Watch it be Cena/Taker though. Don't see any way it's not. Taker's gonna attempt a 450 and end up in the hospital.

Rich Flair: Syxx! Syxx I know I could whip your ass! I've been world champion more times than you had ass!

LMAO...

I'm really impressed with the promos on 97 Nitro so far. Week or 2 before Nash had a great promo. Nash, had a great promo. You could tell he cared at the time.

Sometimes I think if you reversed the new development name and old indie name (like if indie guy Seth Rollins became FCW's Tyler Black), you'd hear the exact same complaints.

The dirty secret is that 95% of wrestling names are dumb, indie, old school, or modern WWE.

MG310

Either Cornette or Heyman, I think Cornette, has a story about Bossman where he smashes his finger on the door of a taxi cab. Played it cool tough guy the entire trip then when the driver drives off just starts wailing and swearing up a storm

'Just smashed my finger on an @Ubercar vehicle. Wow nice regulations guys! :'( #NoPainNoGain #LegitHurtSmarks '

Cornette on Austin's podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ZcwIDK0Fc

Who else thinks Rusev could have a really great face run down the line?

Just me?

Seems like the most humble down to Earth big European bro. Dude's mad likable.

Top Bottom