• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Kaladin

I have to flat-out refuse to use iTunes because no matter what I do, it automatically rearranges the names of my Album/Artist music folders and files and always gets it wrong.

If Track 7 on an album has a featured guest artist, that doesn't mean I want to have a separate entry in my musicians list solely for that pairing, taking the file out of the playing-order of the album it's from. It's fucking infuriating.

Apple Music fucked everything on iTunes. I loved it before that for how easy it was to manipulate that data and keep things how you want it, but no, Apple Music comes along and fixes things how they want it.

I haven't used iTunes since.

Raw64life

If they announce a new Mario for launch I'm in on the Switch. I'll be playing on a TV screen 95% of the time, so I don't care much about the portable aspect at all.

When they announced 2K16 for PC I had this crazy idea in my head that the modding community was gonna be able to make the game good somehow, but that doesn't appear to have happened at all. Disappointing.

They just showed off the WWE UK title on Blue Peter (popular children's show for the Yanks)

C1_Hp8OXAAAuEPk.jpg:large

Entropia

No One Remembers
They just showed off the WWE UK title on Blue Peter (popular children's show for the Yanks)

Why not just rename it the European title? I know that England's wrestling scene is getting bigger, but what would the harm have been to expand it out? Surely there's some Polish, Italian, French or Bulgarian guys that could get in on this.

The belt does look good though.

Hasney

Isn't it only running at like 60% of its power when it's in portable mode? How is that not apparent

It's pushing half the pixels than it does in docked mode and the CPU is the same speed. Other then the res drop for the screen, it should in theory be fine.

It still could be ass though, will have to wait for hands on.

Syder

Why not just rename it the European title? I know that England's wrestling scene is getting bigger, but what would the harm have been to expand it out? Surely there's some Polish, Italian, French or Bulgarian guys that could get in on this.
I agree. I'm British and don't actually like a lot of our talent.

Sephzilla

Yeah I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of portable mode honestly. If I'm going to take the thing over to a friends place and show it off, I'm just going to take the whole thing over.

Things that would sell me on a Switch;
1) New Mario game, day 1
2) Zelda, day 1
3) HD traditional Pokemon game
4) Nintendo of America not drip feeding the virtual console
5) Mario Maker Switch with complete overworld creation content

EDIT

6) Rocket League - because that game is the GOAT

Hasney

Yeah I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of portable mode honestly. If I'm going to take the thing over to a friends place and show it off, I'm just going to take the whole thing over.

I like off-tv play on the Wii U, so I'll use it a bit in the house. But I agree, that dock will fit in the other pocket.

Kaladin

Things that would sell me on a Switch;
1) New Mario game, day 1
2) Zelda, day 1
3) HD traditional Pokemon game
4) Nintendo of America not drip feeding the virtual console
5) Mario Maker Switch with complete overworld creation content

I think the most use I'll get out of the Switch Portable aspect of it is if me or my wife wants to play something while the other watches something on TV or uses the PS4.

Switch better have a good online infrastructure. God damn does the Wii U feel ancient in this regard. If it has bad online, bad performance, and 3rd party isn't down with it, I'm waiting for the hack. Nintendo DOES NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The belt does look good though.

The biggest scenes are UK, Germany and Ireland, in that order (as far as I'm aware), everything else is pretty insignificant in comparison.

I get your point, and mostly agree, but if you expand it to "Europe", it feels very disingenuous to have the field be mostly UK guys. The alternative is what we saw with the CWC, where you have super out there picks that sometimes work out great, like Fabian Aichner, and sometimes are Ho Ho Lun's.

Kaladin

Switch better have a good online infrastructure. God damn does the Wii U feel ancient in this regard. If it has bad online, bad performance, and 3rd party isn't down with it, I'm waiting for the hack. Nintendo DOES NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Online is Nintendo's biggest failure, IMO.

Sephzilla

Yeah, Nintendo's online shit has always been shit. From friend codes, the lack of virtual console content, the Wii's store page looking like it was designed by someone with a circa 2000 Geocities site... ugh

I don't have great internet, but Splatoon is the only multiplayer game I've ever played that just straight up didn't work most of the time

Would connect to matches and then it would just lose sync/disconnect. I'd say probably 85% of all of my attempts at playing, if not more.

I was really excited for it and after a while I just didn't give a fuck anymore

NOA holding all of their games until the fall for whatever reason sucks too

Cptkrush

That's a really good looking belt. Whoever designed that thing needs to redesign the US and Universal belts stat. Not that I hate the Universal belt, but I think it should look more different than the WWE championship for sure.

Cole looks thrilled.
C1_O8CaXAAAXszg.jpg:large

Belt looks pretty good though.

As for the Switch, I'm going to stick to "cautiously optimistic". They've done everything right so far, but it's Nintendo after all.

Hasney

The Nintendo Switch, as excited as I am to learn more, still confuses me. Why didn't they just create Vita 2.0 with HDMI out?

Because it's much better and easier to just slide something in a dock than fanny around with cables?

Thank fuck it's not a Vita, at least I can use a different controller and just have it on a stand. Hate that form factor.

Hasney

Because with the dock they can market it as a home console hybrid and still keep their best selling DS line.

DS line is gonzo unless Switch bombs. Whole point of this is to have their console and handheld output all on one device without having to split and cause droughts on one or the other.

Much like the DS not "being a replacement to the GBA", it will be if it sells.

For real, why do the main belts for WWE look so much worse than a belt for a roster that won't even interact with the rest of the company?

Also a 3D Mario and remastered Mario Kart 8 means a day one purchase for the Switch from me. Or it would but Nintendo will deliberately not provide enough stock as usual.

For real, why do the main belts for WWE look so much worse than a belt for a roster that won't even interact with the rest of the company?

Pretty much answered your own question. It's a belt they aren't going to be handing out to local sports stars, so the designers get a little extra leeway.

Fox318

Also a 3D Mario and remastered Mario Kart 8 means a day one purchase for the Switch from me. Or it would but Nintendo will deliberately not provide enough stock as usual.

they make the belts for the today show and to send to NFL teams when they win the super bowl.

They gave away any attempts at presitige when they started selling the rights to have theme songs by shitty rock bands instead of the classic mania theme.

Rebuying games in 2017. Just make them back compatible

The WWE network sent me an e-mail informing me that the mighty 2006 era of Smackdown is ready for all, I just watched that PEASANT Lashley kiss Booker's foot in an all time classic segment.

Seriously just the way Booker goes between calling him a peasant to "now make this suckah kiss my FEET!" is wonderful, and Regal gives Bobby a nice head massage.

I think only a true sequel to Super Metroid could get me hyped.

Metroid Fusion buried, shame on you Trips.

Remember when SD vs Raw came out with the belt creation feature but it cost ridiculous amounts of in game money to make anything that wasn't a paper strap with a slab of plastic on the front? what a load of bunk.

Hasney

Remember when SD vs Raw came out with the belt creation feature but it cost ridiculous amounts of in game money to make anything that wasn't a paper strap with a slab of plastic on the front? what a load of bunk.

No, I was playing good games.

Nah for real, that was the one with the stupid GM mode that you could grind money and the achievement for having 100% ratings by turning off injuries and stamina and having HBK V HHH inside Hell in a Cell in every single segment.

I could afford the pimpest belt.

I feel like the GM mode with modifiers didn't come in until 2007?
But I may be wrong, I recall SDvsRaw original version being the first game with phoned in voice acting as its big selling point.

Original GM mode in 2006 was dope though, never forget my brother running Raw while I ran Smackdown and ending up with Gene Snitsky as his champ because he had to fill the last chamber slot at new years revolution with a filler jobber.

Hasney

If Microsoft can do it I'm sure Nintendo can. Escpailly since the switch isn't that much more powerful than the Wii u

That's actually the issue, they're entirely different architechtures so you have to brute force it. Only reason MS can do it is because they own virtualisation software built to do this type of thing and can emulate PowerPC because of the leap the XB1 took.

It's unlikely that you could emulate the Power7 chip on a down-clocked X1 ARM.

But I may be wrong, I recall SDvsRaw original version being the first game with phoned in voice acting as its big selling point.

Original GM mode in 2006 was dope though, never forget my brother running Raw while I ran Smackdown and ending up with Gene Snitsky as his champ because he had to fill the last chamber slot at new years revolution with a filler jobber.

Oh, you were talking about the original. I thought you weren't talking about a specific year because I swear that belt thing lasted a few years too.

Still the greatest cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0p4Qj8Z-c

I remember gm mode being a chore at times. Maybe I should go back and play it, it's been a while.

Top Bottom