• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Syder

Who is the Switch for? When the Wii came out kids were still playing 'kids games', now they play COD.
Who's meant to keep Nintendo alive? Fanboys?

...or maybe I'm a pleb and the console is meant for the wealthy hipster types in the reveal trailer.
wtzgU.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Who is the Switch for? When the Wii came out kids were still playing 'kids games', now they play COD.

...or maybe I'm a pleb and the console is meant for the wealthy hipster types in the reveal trailer.
wtzgU.gif

Only teenagers care about COD. There's a whole world of gamers before and after that particular demographic.

jmdajr

wtzgU.gif

Hardcore fans, and Yuppy parents trying to indoctrinate their kids!

jmdajr

I haven't beat any Zelda games since the NES and SNES versions.

I tried Wind Waker and quit. I also tried Twilight and quit too.

Striker

wtzgU.gif
Younger kids and a men and women who grew up playing them (WWE's crowd now).

I'm pretty content with just waiting until the Summer of Splat to consider Switching it up, it's not like we're starved for quality game releases for the first few months of this year across all platforms so why rush into something that's still finding its feet (then again, why get any console Day 1? when was the last time that actually turned out to be a wise investment? Halo on the XBOX?)
Then again I'm saying this as someone who can still sneak Zelda onto their WiiU.

I will guaranteed be buying one when No More Heroes is up for preorder, if not before depending on if any games take my fancy. Mario is looking interesting.

Anthem, owners of TNA, and also the owners of Fight Network in Canada, accidentally aired the wrong episode of Impact on Fight Network instead of the new episode yesterday

In addition to that, their new app that launched in the UK and Ireland had technical difficulties causing the episode to air late

Maybe the whole company's cursed. At this point nothing else explains the surrounding stupidity encompassing everyone that even touches the product

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm pretty content with just waiting until the Summer of Splat to consider Switching it up, it's not like we're starved for quality game releases for the first few months of this year across all platforms so why rush into something that's still finding its feet (then again, why get any console Day 1? when was the last time that actually turned out to be a wise investment? Halo on the XBOX?)
Then again I'm saying this as someone who can still sneak Zelda onto their WiiU.

Getting a console in the first year, even the first 1,5 years is a utterly dumb move.

I still do it every time, but only because I can afford the gamble. But it's still pretty damn stupid to be an early adopter for just about anything.

Sephzilla

I've purchased a few launch window systems, the only one I've regretted was the Xbox 360 for pretty obvious reasons. The launch window systems I've purchased were the PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PS4

I regretted the Wii, but not because I bought it near launch

Aiii

So not worth it
Holy fuck. 70 bucks for the Pro Controller.

Only 110 bucks to play SF2 HD REMIX!

plus tax

I'm expecting my Wii U Pro Controller to be compatible with the Switch, BUT NOBODY IS CONFIRMING IT AND IT IS DRIVING ME MAD.

Why isn't anyone asking this, what do gaming journalists even do? ASK THE HARD QUESTIONS, you fools.

Sephzilla

Amazon's sold out again so my decision was made for me, probably for the better lol.

Of note, it seems like it was up for pre-order for a surprisingly long time. Hopefully that's a sign that they are anticipating plenty of stock and not that nobody is buying it lol

Getting a console in the first year, even the first 1,5 years is a utterly dumb move.

I still do it every time, but only because I can afford the gamble. But it's still pretty damn stupid to be an early adopter for just about anything.

Typically I still end up getting Nintendo stuff too early, 3DS was a kinda pleasant surprise in that I nabbed it in time to get it cheaper, with the Ocarina remake and be considered part of the we fucked up apology program. Otherwise yeah it's never the best move, look at any console in recent years and they are pretty bare for quite a while.
Even the PS4 which is entering beast mode now was trapped in the struggle in its first year, now everyone I know who got theirs early has no space on the console so each new game is a pain in the arse juggling process while I got to sail in and bag one of the updated models with actual space for cheaper merely a year later, heck folks waiting longer than me get to go Pro!

I've purchased a few launch window systems, the only one I've regretted was the Xbox 360 for pretty obvious reasons. The launch window systems I've purchased were the PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PS4

I regretted the Wii, but not because I bought it near launch
Seph, you are a brave man.
Maybe you would endure the Switch launch after all.

Sephzilla

I dunno, a free NES/SNES game every month doesn't seem like a bad idea on paper. Hopefully its a sign that Nintendo isn't going to drip feed the fuck out of the virtual console like they did with the Wii and Wii-U and honestly it's a better idea on paper than "GET YOUR FREE MEDIOCRE INDY GAME" that PS Plus does.

Who am I kidding Nintendo will fuck it up

Seph, you are a brave man.
Maybe you would endure the Switch launch after all.

I had zero regerts about buying an OG George Foreman PS3. Backwards compatibility for days. That system actually died on me like a year and a half ago, I was sad

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno, a free NES/SNES game every month doesn't seem like a bad idea on paper. Hopefully its a sign that Nintendo isn't going to drip feed the fuck out of the virtual console like they did with the Wii and Wii-U and honestly it's a better idea on paper than "GET YOUR FREE MEDIOCRE INDY GAME" that PS Plus does.

Who am I kidding Nintendo will fuck it up

I stopped downloading the PS4 games a few months ago. That service was so great when they weren't the market leader and stopped giving a fuck trying to sell PS Plus (since you'll get it anyways now that it includes online).

But yeah, a free VC game a month is a pretty cool thing, and something I'll gladly spend a few bucks on, why not?

Zach

But... you only get to play the game for a month. I like a lot of the PS+ games I get to play whenever I want (as long as I'm still a subscriber).

Sephzilla

Wait... only playable for free for one month?!

qHM7SMt.gif

As in, after that one month I don't get to keep the game and have to pay for it again even though I'm already paying for the fucking Nintendo online service?

qHM7SMt.gif

So basically they took the best thing about PS+ and Games for Gold and said "no"!?

qHM7SMt.gif

Fucking hell, Nintendo

PS plus indie games ain't that bad even if the selection is often inconsistent in quality, we got stuff like Furi and Invisible Inc last year so yay, yet I'm seriously concerned that people would actually rather have trash like Knack because "it's retail".

I ordered a Switch on Gamestop only to realize they were going to charge me $40 for shipping. As soon as I could get one via Best Buy I put in a cancel request to GameStop. $40 is ridiculous

Welp, guess what....You can only play the game for that month. If you want to keep it you have to buy it

GunBR

PS plus indie games ain't that bad even if the selection is often inconsistent in quality, we got stuff like Furi and Invisible Inc last year so yay, yet I'm seriously concerned that people would actually rather have trash like Knack because "it's retail".
68208665.jpg

Wait... only playable for free for one month?!

qHM7SMt.gif

As in, after that one month I don't get to keep the game and have to pay for it again even though I'm already paying for the fucking Nintendo online service?

qHM7SMt.gif

So basically they took the best thing about PS+ and Games for Gold and said "no"!?

qHM7SMt.gif

Fucking hell, Nintendo

They also took the best thing about their fucked up online situation (at least you didn't have to pay for it) and said "nah"

Top Bottom