• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

C2Ef3aZXgAIfrv1.jpg:large

Cole is a damn work horse. Fuck what you think about him but you have to respect everything he has done. Even if it hasn't been up to par as many would love. But most people would've walked away 5 years after being in the company. This guy has been at it for almost 21!

Zach

Oh Zach.....you're only in 2004. Lol.
Brother, I'm flying through some trash, though. I watch new wrasslers' first matches still, but after that, if they're crap, they probably get a healthy fast-forwarding.

Ain't nobody got time for Tyson Tomko.

Kaladin

NOLA.com asked Vince McMahon the questions we are all dying to know:

NOLA.com interviewed Vince McMahon in conjunction with WrestleMania 34 coming to New Orleans, LA.

When asked if there was anyone on the roster who could jump to main event status by next year’s show he said:

“I don't know. If I did know, I wouldn't tell you. Because it would ruin the surprise. I'm just being honest. I don't know if there is at the moment, but I wouldn't tell you.”

When asked if he misses being on TV he said:

“God, no. That was a chore. I enjoyed it, but it just ate up so much time personally, and I couldn't produce and direct, which is what I love to do. I love to help create new stars and tweak this and help them grow here. I can't do that as a talent because you have to have your head wrapped around that. I've done both in the past, but it's not what I prefer to do. It takes an extraordinary amount of energy to be able to do that. Trying to both is difficult. It really is.”

And if you were wondering if Vince was going to retire any time soon:

“No. No, never. This is not work for me. I never go to work. Ever. Every aspect of the business, whether it's working with the talent or the writing staff, even on occasion working with the legal guys, it's all a big family. I never go to work.”

TLDR: He's out of touch with his current roster, he'll never be back on TV full time, he's never retiring.

Cornette SHOULD be in the hall of fame. The man spent the vast majority of his life in the service of pro wrestling, so yeah stick him in there.

Once Koko was put in, all restrictions are off.

Adree

Cornette deserves HoF status for any of his Russo rants.

I put custom firmware on my 2DS, it was definitely the most interesting thing I've done with it so far. The commitment people have to hacking these things is impressive.

You know what? I'm tired of people, no correction, teenage edgelords and grown ass adults hating John Cena.

Kids love him, and honestly, thinking back, I HATED smark adults and teens when I was a kid that would call Hulk Hogan boring, lame, and the same comments lobbed at Hulk, Ultimate Warrior, etc.

Like, shut up and let the kids enjoy their hero, honestly. We can talk about the product or whatever, but I think people forget that the WWE isn't just for adults. One could argue that it actually isn't for us anyways, so let the kids enjoy things.

IDK man, I'm just tired of adults trying to take things away from kids. Let them enjoy the product how they want to. It's not like the mid aughts where John Cena was on 2 hours out of the 3 every night on RAW.

But maybe it's just me. I had to get that off my chest.

Adree

I guess it's been out for a few years but damn if Gems of War isn't the Puzzle Quest 2/Marvel Puzzle Quest I actually wanted instead of those pale imitations that came out. Give me interesting abilities at any tier and challenging bosses you can kill if you are "good" at gem matching games over PQ2's supremely boring gameplay and MPQ's impossible without paying for skills missions any day.

Whatever happened to that WWE puzzle quest game anyway?

I guess it's been out for a few years but damn if Gems of War isn't the Puzzle Quest 2/Marvel Puzzle Quest I actually wanted instead of those pale imitations that came out. Give me interesting abilities at any tier and challenging bosses you can kill if you are "good" at gem matching games over PQ2's supremely boring gameplay and MPQ's impossible without paying for skills missions any day.

Whatever happened to that WWE puzzle quest game anyway?

I'm actually REALLY enjoying the Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest game right now. I've been playing it for 2 months and never felt like I had to spend a dime.

Adree

You know what? I'm tired of people, no correction, teenage edgelords and grown ass adults hating John Cena.

Kids love him, and honestly, thinking back, I HATED smark adults and teens when I was a kid that would call Hulk Hogan boring, lame, and the same comments lobbed at Hulk, Ultimate Warrior, etc.

Like, shut up and let the kids enjoy their hero, honestly. We can talk about the product or whatever, but I think people forget that the WWE isn't just for adults. One could argue that it actually isn't for us anyways, so let the kids enjoy things.

IDK man, I'm just tired of adults trying to take things away from kids. Let them enjoy the product how they want to. It's not like the mid aughts where John Cena was on 2 hours out of the 3 every night on RAW.

I think after 2015 most people came around on Cena once he enhanced his moveset and put on some great matches defending the U.S. belt. Rehabbing the status of that belt wasn't really a success but he damn sure made it look more important than anyone else who has had it in the past few years.

He's still the biggest regular draw they have, still one of the best promos around, and still one of the most dependable to have a good match with.

Caderfix

No one is taking anything away though. Some boo some cheer and that's it. You didn't stop liking Cena because of those smarks, that didn't affect how you felt about the product and, if it did, it probably made you support him even more.

How's the Cody keeps putting on matches that apparently are three stars at best train going?

As a Cody fan who's been sad to hear how his post-WWE run has been I hope it's meeting an end. :(
I think he's settling in? I've not watched much of his stuff, but I very much enjoyed his matches at Final Battle and Wrestle Kingdom. When he's a shithead rather than "so gosh darn happy to be oan the indies *** Cody", he's infinitely more compelling.

Adree

I'm actually REALLY enjoying the Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest game right now. I've been playing it for 2 months and never felt like I had to spend a dime.

I almost tried that one but screenshots made it seem too similar to MPQ.

I was pretty much sold on loving Gems of War when I got a treasure map drop and it's just the treasure matching minigame from PQ2.

The only thing I haven't seen in Gems that I loved in Marvel was having regular pvp tournaments with good rewards. Gems has you set up a team and fight with it offline which can net you a lot of free loot if you have a powerful mix though.

Cena hate has majorly toned down in the past two years thanks to him being kept from the main title scene and the success of his US title run although there might be a brief rise in it if he beats AJ clean at the rumble.

Also are you new to posting here? If so, mind if I ask who your fave five wrestlers are? It seems to be a thing to ask new people who post here.

Barrage

Cenas a legitimately good person. Ill take privately delivering toys to kids at childrens hospitals over perfectly booking a Summerslam main event with Nexus on my obit anyday.

John Cena ruined a lot of great TV in the name of being a superhero: Barrett and Nexus and Bray Wyatt being two of the biggest ones.

John Cena ruined a lot of great TV in the name of being a superhero: Barrett and Nexus and Bray Wyatt being two of the biggest ones.

It's not John Cena's fault that Vince McMahon didn't have the balls to actually put Wade over Cena once and didn't have a plan for Bray after he lost his feud.

(And yes, Cena screwed up at Summerslam - as he admitted. But, I guess since that's the one thing Cena haters can point too, that'll be the thing that he wears forever as a Scarlet Letter).

Top Faces beat Top Heels. That's the way wrestling works. Then, if you have a smart booker, you move the former top heels over to new programs where you rebuild them or you repackage them.

The truth is, no other top star in history would've let Brock squash him like what happened at Summerslam.

I mean, if you want an entertainment product where the grimdark heels dominate the heroes forever, Zach Snyder's DCEU is right over there.

Caderfix

The people blaming EA due to the fact that FIFA on the Switch will be based on the PS360 version are hilarious.

I mean, fuck EA, but this is ridiculous.

NXT is in this weird limbo to me where I want everyone I like to get called up so I can at least pay see them on a weekly basis, but I also don't want them to go because at the end of the day the way NXTs events are presented and the storytelling in their Takeover matches are still better than anything the main roster does.

The Revival has all this hype but they're going to be working 5 minute nothing matches every week that will absolutely kill them.

He's a lot more tolerable now and as he is near the tail end of his career, you can appreciate all he has done. But he was boring and lame during his Super Cena run.

It's not John Cena's fault that Vince McMahon didn't have the balls to actually put Wade over Cena once and didn't have a plan for Bray after he lost his feud.

(And yes, Cena screwed up at Summerslam - as he admitted. But, I guess since that's the one thing Cena haters can point too, that'll be the thing that he wears forever as a Scarlet Letter).

Top Faces beat Top Heels. That's the way wrestling works. Then, if you have a smart booker, you move the former top heels over to new programs where you rebuild them or you repackage them.

The truth is, no other top star in history would've let Brock squash him like what happened at Summerslam.

I mean, if you want an entertainment product where the grimdark heels dominate the heroes forever, Zach Snyder's DCEU is right over there.

I'm inclined to believe, given that he was able to dictate the ridiculous Summerslam finish, that Cena isn't just a yes sir type who only makes everyone else look stupid in the because that's what Vince told him to do.

That's Roman Reigns.

Also top faces always best top heels is 80s booking. I mean fuck the nWo before it got stupid was the anithesis of that and it worked great.

Cena now isn't as bad as Cena then but I'm not going to pretend that if your favorite went again Cena or even allied with him back in the day that that wasn't essentially a death sentence for their momentum.

Has Cena ever actually said why he chose that finish for Summerslam 2010? I know that he has been on record as regretting it, but I really need to know what the fuck went on in his mind to think a comeback from a concrete DDT was the best way for the match to be won.

I'm inclined to believe that Cena isn't just a yes sir type who only makes everyone else look stupid in the because that's what Vince told him to do.

That's Roman Reigns.
Also top faces always best top heels is 89s booking. I mean fuck the nWo before it got stupid was the anithesis of that.
I'm sure Cena was like that once. While now Cena likely has the power to say no to a crazy Vince idea, I'd bet good money during the first few years of his mega push Cena nodded his head and went along with everything Vince said he was going to do.

Has Cena ever actually said why he chose that finish for Summerslam 2010? I know that he has been on record as regretting it, but I really need to know what the fuck went on in his mind to think a comeback from a concrete DDT was the best way for the match to be won.

I'm sure Cena was like that once. While now Cena likely has the power to say no to a crazy Vince idea, I'd bet good money during the first few years of his mega push Cena nodded his head and went along with everything Vince said he was going to do.

Sure probably but by the time he was feuding with Nexus and later the Wyatts? I don't think so.

I mean fuck he was given credit for Lesnar at Summerslam but does anyone remember what happened at their first match after Lesnar returned?

This idea that he's faultless for what happened to those guys ridiculous. You can win and still make the other guy look amazing. Shit Bret helped really put Austin on the map in a match that Bret won.

Super Cena wouldn't sell shit for anyone.

Top Bottom