• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Pikma

Banned
A sticking point in the Kenny Omega/New Japan negotiations is believed to be that the company hasn’t given Omega assurances he’ll be put back in the title picture in 2017, says Dave Meltzer.

But I thought it was "inevitable"...

Tall4Life

According to Melissa Santos' instagram, they are in the final talks of a deal with Netflix...again. I feel like this has been a story since season 1. Hopefully something actually happens this time.

C2GlOR8WgAAtkJQ.jpg
dude was so lean

Tagyhag

He looked legit scary back then, it's crazy that he's basically just a teddy bear now.

Speaking of Kane, did people know it was Glenn behind the mask during the Attitude era? Or at least had a vague idea of who it could be? Wrestling must have been so much more fun pre-internet-everywhere.

He looked legit scary back then, it's crazy that he's basically just a teddy bear now.

Speaking of Kane, did people know it was Glenn behind the mask during the Attitude era? Or at least had a vague idea of who it could be? Wrestling must have been so much more fun pre-internet-everywhere.
I think the best thing about being a kid back then is being able to suspend your belief and not knowing it was fake. I didn't nor did my older cousins know it was fake diesel. I was on a forum and one guy said he knew it was fake diesel simply because of the walk. But of course anyone could make that claim online.

Adree

Except Goldberg didn't walk out. WWE and he mutually agreed not to hang around. There was no bad blood beyond the usual 'WCW guys are terrible' BS that WWE really doesn't even believe in their heart of hearts. There's a reason why he won that WM match.

Yeah, it's so they can do a best of 3 with Lesnar going over. If he had only done the one match he would have lost.

Adree

I remember in highschool knowing, but I was pretty smarky.

Re: Bray Wyatt, mediocre wrestler or not (I'd say he's pretty good, in terms of his psychology, much of the time), the guy has remained consistent in terms of the fans being into his schtick and buying his merch, so it was pretty clearly a bad move for John Cena to make him look like the chump of all chumps at Wrestlemania, especially considering that Wrestlemania was so dedicated to putting over new stars (which, lol in retrospect). They are fucking DESPERATE for decent heels, and Wyatt could be a good main event heel if he were used more sparingly and tactically instead of as an every week guy.

Adree

Re: Bray Wyatt, mediocre wrestler or not (I'd say he's pretty good, in terms of his psychology, much of the time), the guy has remained consistent in terms of the fans being into his schtick and buying his merch, so it was pretty clearly a bad move for John Cena to make him look like the chump of all chumps at Wrestlemania, especially considering that Wrestlemania was so dedicated to putting over new stars (which, lol in retrospect). They are fucking DESPERATE for decent heels, and Wyatt could be a good main event heel if he were used more sparingly and tactically instead of as an every week guy.

It's hilarious that he's a guy who always has flunkies yet he manages to do the job at multiple ppvs. Until McMahon decides that wins and losses do matter for everyone and not just a few "top" stars I doubt that will ever change though.

Rimfya

Banned
For all his faults WWE would be better off with a heel like Bray looking OP for awhile.

In my mind the Corporate Minsitry laid waste to everyone for a long time. But I might not be recalling that correctly.

Hasney

It's hilarious that he's a guy who always has flunkies yet he manages to do the job at multiple ppvs. Until McMahon decides that wins and losses do matter for everyone and not just a few "top" stars I doubt that will ever change though.

I read a while back that Vince thinks he's created a new Undertaker with him and it doesn't matter if he loses every match, he'll still seem to be a threat.

UberTag

Had Bray not been injured this is a program that could have easily gotten both guys over huge. Roman works best in the enforcer role. He certainly does NOT work in the alpha male w/ little buddies role.

I read a while back that Vince thinks he's created a new Undertaker with him and it doesn't matter if he loses every match, he'll still seem to be a threat.
Vince thinks a lot of things that aren't true simply because he surrounds himself with people who can never tell him when he's wrong.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first of all, that spear looks great. second, when was Roman working with Bray? o_O

also, the fuck is going on with Shibata?

Kurita

first of all, that spear looks great. second, when was Roman working with Bray? o_O

It was before Bray's injury in 2016. They just were in a tag match together on RAW. Looks like they wanted to slowly turn Wyatt.
It really is a shame that he got hurt, I think face/tweener Bray Wyatt would have been great.

Wait, what?

"Drew Galloway just announced that 5* Wrestling got a deal with Spike TV in the UK, and Kurt Angle will be a commentator for them."

They've got Rey, Morrison & Carlito wrestling for them, scuttlebutt has it that they're also trying to sign Brit indie guys to contracts that would prevent them from working WWE, WoS or WCPW. Fucking lol.

A married woman on twitter claims that Shibata's been sleeping with her for the past two years. He apparently called it off over Christmas and she isn't happy, so she's posted a bunch of pictures of the two of them together and various text messages.

Lothar

Banned

You think Attitude Era was pre-Internet?

This was my forum of choice around when Kane was making his debut.
http://web.archive.org/web/19980110144208/http://itscwrestling.com/si/forums/

Wrestling news sites and Meltzer were a thing back then too.

Hasney

Wait, what?

"Drew Galloway just announced that 5* Wrestling got a deal with Spike TV in the UK, and Kurt Angle will be a commentator for them."

They've got Rey, Morrison & Carlito wrestling for them, scuttlebutt has it that they're also trying to sign Brit indie guys to contracts that would prevent them from working WWE, WoS or WCPW. Fucking lol.

Jesus Christ. What a random explosion.

Nobody listened to the hardcores back then, theres also a podcast on youtube where the hardcores call in to meltzer because they are so upset of the thought of wwe hiring Buff Bagwell over one of the cruiserweights when Vince did the thumbs up and thumbs down promo on whether to hire select WCW star and buff got the biggest pop behind goldberg.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
No games console has ever dominated this much Wrasslegaf discussion.
That mixed reaction, the John Cena effect™

Oh hey we're closing in on that WWE UK tournament thing, should I be excited?

Oh hey we're closing in on that WWE UK tournament thing, should I be excited?

Yeah. It'll probably be pretty good.

Look out for Mark Andrews vs Dan Moloney, I think that one could steal the show in the first round. Other names to look out for: Trent Seven, Tyler Bate, T-Bone, Pete Dunne, James Drake & Danny Burch.

Lothar

Banned
I remember reading about Foley winning the title (the "that'll put butts in seats" moment) on 2xzone.com before actually seeing it on TV.

So hah, Schiavone, you didn't spoil it for me, the sheets did!

WWF put it on the front page of WWF.com a week before it aired on TV. They wanted people to know before it happened. That was why they did it on a taped show. Dumb WCW.

That's not rec.sport.pro-wrestling. I'm disappointed in you.

Did rec.sport.pro-wrestling have a sweet dragon background?

You think Attitude Era was pre-Internet?

This was my forum of choice around when Kane was making his debut.
http://web.archive.org/web/19980110144208/http://itscwrestling.com/si/forums/

Wrestling news sites and Meltzer were a thing back then too.

I found mine!

https://web.archive.org/web/20050815010538/http://www.owmf.ru/

Went through a few incarnations on domains I don't remember, then was merged in as the official Don Tony and Kevin Castle show forum, which killed it off when they got rid.

Fuck that podcast. worse than lapsed fan

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
WWF put it on the front page of WWF.com a week before it aired on TV. They wanted people to know before it happened. That was why they did it on a taped show. Dumb WCW.

Yeah, funny thing is I'm not sure I ever visited WWF.com back then. :lol I was the smarkiest of smarks right from the get go.

Lothar

Banned
Show me the receipts.

Here's WCW fans being assholes about it when it happened. How very typical of them.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.pro-wrestling.wcw/QGWYn0Ls6l0/C_3LUw9dlvQJ

They actually announced it on their own webpage?! Geez, one would think
they'd want to pretend Raw wasn't pre-taped...

Then again, this is the WWF, the leader in *SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT*...
Why would WWF post the results to tv shows that havent even come on yet.
They're really trying to boost their ratings now.
The fact is, this is a WCW group and I'm just guessing that 9 out of 10
people here would rather watch NASH vs. GOLDBERG live in the Georgia dome,
with thousands of screaming fans.
I don't like Mic Foley now and I never liked him before when he was in
WCW...

I'm glad WCW went out of business.

Wait, what?

First show's in Dundee too, tempted to go myself.

somedevil

Shibata might be heading towards the doghouse for New Japan:

Possibility he has been having an affair. He seems to have called it off since Christmas and she's responding with a dump of photos and line chats.

https://twitter.com/youkmcy

Thats the twitter account of the person whose done it. Chris Charlton won't translate it because its just allegations so far.

I think it's heavily inappropriate to discuss the private lives of workers tbh

Let's talk about 5 Star Wrestling's Awful Music instead

As much as I love 5 Star Wrestling's music I think we should talk more about the Switch. I preordered it and every game besides Skylanders and Just Dance as soon as GameStop opened. So hyped for Zelda. Can't wait to play Snipperclips and 1 2 Switch with my wife and kids.

Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get away with watching the U.K. Tournament live at work today.

Hasney

As much as I love 5 Star Wrestling's music I think we should talk more about the Switch. I preordered it and every game besides Skylanders and Just Dance as soon as GameStop opened. So hyped for Zelda. Can't wait to play Snipperclips and 1 2 Switch with my wife and kids.

Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get away with watching the U.K. Tournament live at work today.

Think I'll wait until 1 2 Switch hits Selects. Snipperclips fo sho tho.

People firgured it out. I remember a fair amount of internet boards and sites pointing out it was Glen jacobs aka Issac Yankem aka Fake Disel.

Nixon Newell is a far better wrestler than 90% of the WWE woman's roster. She's some how a better in ring personality and I'm yet to hear her do a promo yet.

Top Bottom