• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Mahonay

Banned
Triple H has done amazing since taking over as Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative. He's signed some of the best talent the company has had in a long time....and we're not just talking about one or two guys either.
Say what you will about the decline of ratings and lack of huge draw stars, but Haitch is been making a legitimate effort to lay the fresh groundwork for the future WWE. Something Vince has absolutely refused to do for over a decade now.

That stuff has been translating extremely poorly to RAW. But that is a trash show. Smackdown has been fairing better in transitioning. It's almost night and day between the two shows in their execution. Here's hoping the current RAW format doesn't win out in what will be the shape of WWE for the next 10+ years...Because if it does I can only imagine what ratings will look like in a few years when Charlotte and Sasha fight for the right to be the first 40-time Woman's Champion, and baby face Roman Reigns headlines his 6th WrestleMania.

Mahonay

Banned
Considering the the state of the wwwe and the fact that there are no stars outside of Cena and the part timers. It is extremely relevant.
Who else is HHH personally holding down or chasing off?

I know he turned Kurt down for a return a year or two ago.

Kaladin

Say what you will about the decline of ratings and lack of huge draw stars, but Haitch is been making a legitimate effort to lay the fresh groundwork for the future WWE. Something Vince has absolutely refused to do for over a decade now.

That stuff has been translating extremely poorly to RAW. But that is a trash show. Smackdown has been fairing better in transitioning. It's almost night and day between the two shows in their execution. Here's hoping the current RAW format doesn't win out in what will be the shape of WWE for the next 10+ years...Because if it does I can only imagine what ratings will look like in a few years when Charlotte and Sasha fight for the right to be the first 40-time Woman's Champion, and baby face Roman Reigns headlines his 6th WrestleMania.

Hell, Smackdown has Alexa Bliss as their champ already, and Raw is stuck on Charlotte.

I think Vince has a problem letting go of something he sees as working.

Anth0ny

HHH can't save anything. NXT is as stale as it's ever been.

weekly shows are eh

but hhh knows how to build to a big show and have it pay off. the takeover specials, cwc and now this uk tournament.

the first mania completely under hhh's booking philosophy will probably be fucking awesome and actually feel like a big show again instead of the filler show for casuals that it's become

Kenny Williams versus Ricochet has been announced for the ICW Zero-G Championship at the Square Go in Newcastle. Ricochet was given the title shot for beating Kenny before he became champion.

Andy Wild and Lewis Girvan will have a rematch to give the No. 1 Contender tournament a proper finish after an inconclusive finish at the show on Sunday.

Kacey Owens won a 4 way to earn a title shot against Kay Lee Ray for the Women's title as well.

Card is looking at such:

Wolfgang (c) vs Trent Seven for the ICW Heavyweight Championship
Kenny Williams (c) vs Ricochet for the ICW Zero-G Championship
Polo Promotions (c) vs Bird & Boar for the ICW Tag Team Championship
Kay Lee Ray (c) vs Kasey Owens for the ICW Women's Championship
The Square Go match (Royal Rumble where winner gets MITB briefcase).
Lewis Girvan vs Andy Wild for the Zero-G No. 1 Contendership.

If the Network thing ends up happening, this will probably be the first event on it, if the TNA people are allowed.

A very well put together wrestling promotion which just started last year (i believe) here in Austin TX has been doing amazing stuff booking talent. They just announced ZSJ will be here in February's show. I'll be there to see that.

NXT is absolutely fine right now. Better than RAW at least.

Also don't forget about how God damn great the CWC was, despite how trash it is on RAW and 205 Live now.
It's pretty uncontroversial saying that the shows that HHH has run have all been pretty great and it build confidence that he'll run a great show on the main product.

Don't let Heroman's efforts to be CONTRARIAN distract from that.

Caderfix

69U1G1N.gif

I've been asking that since Mania 32.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cm punk was/is more popular than any person that HHH has hired.

He was also very vocal about his desire to retire sooner than most would think he would, even before his issues with management became apparent. Who even knows if he'd still be there today had he not quit when he did. WWE gained a bunch of guys who are very likely going to be around for the next 10+ years in exchange for a guy who most assuredly wasn't going to be there for another 5. In the long term it was still a positive, even if Punk WAS a bigger star than anyone Triple H has brought in currently is.

Who else is HHH personally holding down or chasing off?

I know he turned Kurt down for a return a year or two ago.

NXT hasn't developed anyone since Balor debuted 1.5 years ago. That's why they had to bring back Hero to main event the Mania takeover show against Nakamura and Asuka doesn't have any credible challengers.

Foggy

Just ask yourselves how many cycles of "just wait until" you've gone through. The product is bad. The product is built around sustaining itself and that's it. CWC and UK tourny were minimalist wrestling products and that's not Raw or Smackdown or NXT or 205 Live or anything. Keep waiting until the HHH takes over. It'll be better, but you're deluding yourself if you think any aspect of the product is going to retain what made those tournaments special.

Mahonay

Banned
A very well put together wrestling promotion which just started last year (i believe) here in Austin TX has been doing amazing stuff booking talent. They just announced ZSJ will be here in February's show. I'll be there to see that.
Austin seems like it has a pretty strong indie wrasslin scene.

Mahonay

Banned
Just ask yourselves how many cycles of "just wait until" you've gone through. The product is bad. The product is built around sustaining itself and that's it. CWC and UK tourny were minimalist wrestling products and that's not Raw or Smackdown or NXT or 205 Live or anything. Keep waiting until the HHH takes over. It'll be better, but you're deluding yourself if you think any aspect of the product is going to retain what made those tournaments special.
You are a depressing person.

I know it's mostly shit. Everyone does. It's fun to get excited about potential anyway.

Heroman

Banned
He was also very vocal about his desire to retire sooner than most would think he would, even before his issues with management became apparent. Who even knows if he'd still be there today had he not quit when he did. WWE gained a bunch of guys who are very likely going to be around for the next 10+ years in exchange for a guy who most assuredly wasn't going to be there for another 5. In the long term it was still a positive, even if Punk WAS a bigger star than anyone Triple H has brought in currently is.
What guys did HHH hire that are going be with WWE for ten plus years? All he does is hire dude in there mid 30s, they aren't going to be around for that long.

klonere

Banned
To add my thoughts to this discussion:

Pete Dunne is short.
Tyler Bate is very very short.

They both have funny accents. Neither can cut a WWE style promo well (this does not mean they cannot cut a promo).

CWC was good.
Cruiserweights on Raw are awful
205 Live is totally mediocre with few exceptions.

The UKT was very good.
The UK weekly show will be ???.

Kaladin

Monday Night Raw isn't all bad, it's just a chore to get through 3 hours of a mix of good and bad to get to the good stuff. JeriKO is amazing right now as is Strowman and Zayne. The Enzo/Cass and Rusev feud is actually kind of good and producing some good stuff. The CW stuff is finding it's legs it seems though they need to get their other talent on Raw. Cesaro and Sheamus are great as a tag team but it's a shame the rest of the division is shit.

Like I said, things are working....it's just a mess getting through the bad shit to get to the good.

jmdajr

The shield will probbaly make 10 years.

I don't now if he official hired them.

Anyhow today's work rate is gonna kill longevity.

Only thing I disagree with is it'll be better

In some aspects it will be, in some aspects it'll be worse

I expect much more Indy raids and a weaker drug policy, for example

Anth0ny

i do think there's a chance things will get better when vince and dunn are out of the picture

that's the biggest possible "just wait until" moment

i didn't think star wars would ever be good again, either. then george lucas fucking sold that shit to disney and it's great.

basically vince needs to sell to disney already.

Toki767

Big Johnny hired all 3 of them.

HHH's hires don't start until mid 2011. Shield were all brought in in 2010.

I guess Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are the best examples of people who will last 10 years from HHH's hires. But that's if you include their time in NXT.

jmdajr

Big Johnny hired all 3 of them.

HHH's hires don't start until mid 2011. Shield were all brought in in 2010.

I guess Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are the best examples of people who will last 10 years from HHH's hires.

They need to start wrestling like The Miz then.

edit: Sin Cara. Lol. That must have broken his spirits. I'm glad he just didn't quit after that.

They're FCW so they weren't hired by him but the Shield was Triple H's project and all are in their early thirties so they are gonna be fine unless injury takes any of them out.

imBask

Banned
Only thing I disagree with is it'll be better

In some aspects it will be, in some aspects it'll be worse

I expect much more Indy raids and a weaker drug policy, for example

weaker drug policy? it's 2017, there's no way HHH will ever have worse drug policies than what Vince had just by virtue of common sense

klonere

Banned
What guys did HHH hire that are going be with WWE for ten plus years? All he does is hire dude in there mid 30s, they aren't going to be around for that long.

The young guys and gals he hires are all stuck in the PC bud. It's full of college athletes or MMA flameouts/marks who wanted their mark photo. Now that the structure of NXT has completely changed from developmental to being a full time touring brand with quarterly arena shows, you don't see those people much anymore, at least on the male side. Gotta draw for those shows brother, so we can't put some raw ass PC dude who hasn't worked a year on the indies before or whatever. (This also hurts the storytelling in NXT)

If you do see them, you probably think they suck (Tino, Tucker Knight, Angelo Dawkins) (Tino is a bad example because he is relatively old but stick with me here) or they some bizarre one note gimmick that condemns them to death on the main roster (No Way Jose, the guys in Sanity).

Basically, Haitch and WWE are signing younger talent but the PC has proven to mostly be a miserable failure so far on the male side and it's brightest star right now is fucking BRAAAUUNNN who barely spent any time there at all.

Mahonay

Banned
weaker drug policy? it's 2017, there's no way HHH will ever have worse drug policies than what Vince had just by virtue of common sense
The age of Trump is here and I can see Vince thinking all bets are off now with stuff like the drug policy.

Haitch yeah probably not. I mean you can't have anyone looking as huge as he does.

Top Bottom