• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Mahonay

Banned
Sure, it's just a shame that they can't entice people to buy the PPV with good writing and feuds.
Vince literally runs casual fans off any chance he gets. So many heinous go-home RAWs, awful shows right after Mania, and wasted old timer appearances.

Goldberg is the only recent one they didn't 100 percent fuck up.

I really doubt it'll suck as bad as HHH vs Roman. That was boring, top of "make Roman look strong" phase (so far), the crowd was shitting all over it and the result was what the crowd and a bunch of others (I'd guess majority) didn't want to see. It was a very rare combination of things that suck resulting in total suckage.
That's true , although I'm talking mostly about the in ring quality, Seth has been boring me since his comeback. Unless he's saving all of this for Triple H it might be a bit bad for all the build up it's getting with Triple H's not-so anticipated comeback.

Raw64life

This must be the footage Flair showed Miz when he was teaching him the figure four.

Mahonay

Banned
Bret is a hilarious carney person. But it's why I love him. He's genuine, which is something you can't say for people like Michaels.

klonere

Banned
Now that I have NJPWorld, what Devitt matches should I track down? Same for AJ, plz.

vs Marufuji Super J Cup Finals
vs Taguchi Invasion Attack 2014
vs Ibushi WK8
vs Gedo Kizuna Road 2013
vs Okada Kizuna Road 2013
vs Tanahashi G1 23

Those should be up on NJPWWorld! As a bonus but I'm not sure if it's up there you should definitely check out Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin vs. Devitt/Taguchi, can't remember what show its on but on my Devitt watch I loved it and it's very highly regarded.

Sephzilla

Bret is a hilarious carney person. But it's why I love him. He's genuine, which is something you can't say for people like Michaels.

If HHH wasn't in the picture I think I'd actually love to see Bret involved with the company in some way. I think he'd be the type of guy who wouldn't be afraid to call out what he thinks are bad Vince ideas. Unfortunately he'd clash with HHH too much too.

Bret SHOULD be a scumbag growing up in the wrestling business but he's a damn saint compared to everyone who came out of that era.

Ithil

The young guys and gals he hires are all stuck in the PC bud. It's full of college athletes or MMA flameouts/marks who wanted their mark photo. Now that the structure of NXT has completely changed from developmental to being a full time touring brand with quarterly arena shows, you don't see those people much anymore, at least on the male side. Gotta draw for those shows brother, so we can't put some raw ass PC dude who hasn't worked a year on the indies before or whatever. (This also hurts the storytelling in NXT)

If you do see them, you probably think they suck (Tino, Tucker Knight, Angelo Dawkins) (Tino is a bad example because he is relatively old but stick with me here) or they some bizarre one note gimmick that condemns them to death on the main roster (No Way Jose, the guys in Sanity).

Basically, Haitch and WWE are signing younger talent but the PC has proven to mostly be a miserable failure so far on the male side and it's brightest star right now is fucking BRAAAUUNNN who barely spent any time there at all.

Sanity isn't a great example, given it's all indie wrestlers (now that Big Damo has replaced Sawyer Fulton) under Eric Young.

The women in NXT are a better example, they're progressing very slowly. Liv Morgan and co are super green but have been on TV a while, and it's going to take a lot more time for them to get good. It's very clear that in building the PC with the intention of training up promising athletes and attractive people, WWE massively underestimated how long each would take to train to be good. Their idea was "hire 100 people, find a dozen stars among them", like people just become great wrestlers in a year or two without ever travelling the world for multiple promotions.

You have prodigies like Chad Gable who were excellent in the ring almost instantly (and that's not just from his amateur wrestling, they have tons of amateur wrestlers scouted by Gerald Brisco, Gable was special in how well he adapted), but everyone else is either super green, or adequate but not special. There's some like Enzo who aren't good wrestlers but get by on lots of charisma.

Given how much higher the standards of wrestling are in WWE now, I don't know if the PC will ever be that superstar making factory they envisioned. It'll always be the "polish the indie recruits" facility.

Zach

If HHH wasn't in the picture I think I'd actually love to see Bret involved with the company in some way. I think he'd be the type of guy who wouldn't be afraid to call out what he thinks are bad Vince ideas. Unfortunately he'd clash with HHH too much too.

Of course he would call out bad ideas. And I don't think Vince or Triple could handle it. They'd "how's your territory doing?" Bret to try to undermine his criticisms.

Bret SHOULD be a scumbag growing up in the wrestling business but he's a damn saint compared to everyone who came out of that era.

He also has dealt with more wrestling-associated hardship than most. He's somehow still lovably cranky from what I've seen, which is amazing. People who do not like him are sad forever-alones.

They want AJ fighting Shane O'Mac because AJ would bump like a motherfucker for Shane's punches.

How about putting one of the best wrestlers in the world in a match with the potential to be a classic? Get Nak or Joe up ffs. I bet AJ loses as well because reasons.

Oh.. I forgot. AJ is the best at wrestling, but Shane is better at entertainment.

Hex

Banned
People are completely missing the point about a Balor v Taker match at Mania.

A) If there is any justice, Taker will pass the torch to Balor. Brock sure as fuck did not deserve it, Balor has a hell of a future.

B) If they want they can go heel with the Club involved.

But A is so much more important than B.

I think Finn could carry Taker to his best match in a long time.

Buh buh Demon doesn't do anything special.
Neither does Taker.
Maybe the "Hold my hand so I can walk the rope"?
Roll my eyes back and stick my tongue out?
Don't be a mark.

Mahonay

Banned
Bret would have way too much trouble fitting into the modern WWE corporate structure. Haitch groomed himself for it for the past 20 years. He is a master bullshitter, and it's served him perfectly for where he is now.

Not sure Bret would have made the ultimate sacrifice like HHH and marry Steph.

Jk, those two do seem like a legitimately happy couple

C2VatEhUAAI7SUL.jpg

Wait, I mean

C2Va5ghUQAAaZsH.jpg
aeI6iRA.gif

I'll admit that I laughed.

A) If there is any justice, Taker will pass the torch to Balor. Brock sure as fuck did not deserve it, Balor has a hell of a future.

Neither does Taker.
Don't be a mark.
I think they could have a good match but not in the way that it would be Finn carrying Taker to it. Or Taker carrying Finn to it. Just two people equally having a good match.

klonere

Banned
Sanity isn't a great example, given it's all indie wrestlers (now that Big Damo has replaced Sawyer Fulton) under Eric Young.

The women in NXT are a better example, they're progressing very slowly. Liv Morgan and co are super green but have been on TV a while, and it's going to take a lot more time for them to get good. It's very clear that in building the PC with the intention of training up promising athletes and attractive people, WWE massively underestimated how long each would take to train to be good. Their idea was "hire 100 people, find a dozen stars among them", like people just become great wrestlers in a year or two without ever travelling the world for multiple promotions.

You have prodigies like Chad Gable who were excellent in the ring almost instantly (and that's not just from his amateur wrestling, they have tons of amateur wrestlers scouted by Gerald Brisco, Gable was special in how well he adapted), but everyone else is either super green, or adequate but not special. There's some like Enzo who aren't good wrestlers but get by on lots of charisma.

Given how much higher the standards of wrestling are in WWE now, I don't know if the PC will ever be that superstar making factory they envisioned. It'll always be the "polish the indie recruits" facility.

Good points well made.

Crazy to think a multi-million dollar facility can't compete with some ratty ass school gym on weekends.

Aiii

So not worth it
There is no torch to pass, just an old geezer that cannot go anymore collecting his paycheck based on a thirty year old gimmick.

In the PC I wonder if the issue is they don't keep them down there long enough. Half the time it's like they teach them the basics, and a few fancy moves before shipping them down to their NXT debuts.

Neither does Taker.
Don't be a mark.

Can't they just have Taker give a cup of blood to Balor at Hall of Fame. At least with Balor it might just take one torch. How many torches did they give to Cena and Reigns.
Just get rid of all the old people already

Aiii

So not worth it
No matter what you think of Taker he is still a huge draw and their only mass appeal star outside of Brock.

Is he though, really? Does he really sell people on watching Mania? Because I haven't been interested in his matches for years. And even the last one that had me mildly interested, was because of Brock, not Taker.

I very much doubt he has as much drawing power as you are imagining. He is a nostalgia pop, nothing more.

Top Bottom