• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Mahonay

Banned
Can't they just have Taker give a cup of blood to Balor at Hall of Fame. At least with Balor it might just take one torch. How many torches did they give to Cena and Reigns.
Just get rid of all the old people already
They put themselves in a position where they still NEED people like Taker for Mania to garner enough outside interest.

In an ideal situation, yeah, the ancient guys aren't the ones getting the top matches. I'd much rather see current talent in good stories, who also happen to be tremendous workers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People who WrassleGAF doesn't hate yet:

* Kenny Omega
* Will Ospreay

Long list.

Mahonay

Banned
Is he though, really? Does he really sell people on watching Mania? Because I haven't been interested in his matches for years. And even the last one that had me mildly interested, was because of Brock, not Taker.

I very much doubt he has as much drawing power as you are imagining. He is a nostalgia pop, nothing more.
The last three years I watched Mania with super casual and non-fans, the only matches they would be aware were even happening was Taker or Brock.

Sephzilla

Is he though, really? Does he really sell people on watching Mania? Because I haven't been interested in his matches for years. And even the last one that had me mildly interested, was because of Brock, not Taker.

I very much doubt he has as much drawing power as you are imagining. He is a nostalgia pop, nothing more.

For what it's worth, I always see posts on Facebook from my more casual wrestling fans any time there's buzz about people like Taker, Brock, or Austin especially around Mania time. So yes, I do think Taker still has that appeal. And it's purely WWE's fault because they hitched their wagon purely to the Cena express and didn't bother making any other stars during that time.

They put themselves in a position where they still NEED people like Taker for Mania to garner enough outside interest.

In an ideal situation, yeah, the ancient guys aren't the ones getting the top matches. I'd much rather see current talent in good stories, who also happen to be tremendous workers.

Do they? mania seels out without one match being announced. There was no noticeable gain in network subs last year.

Its WWE thinking they need all these part timers becasue they get the best reaction.

Ithil

In the PC I wonder if the issue is they don't keep them down there long enough. Half the time it's like they teach them the basics, and a few fancy moves before shipping them down to their NXT debuts.

The issue is no amount of world class facilities or well picked trainers can substitute for years of varied experience, the real thing that makes for good wrestlers.

How many great wrestlers were great one year into their career? Or eighteen months? A few, sure, but they're not common. It's unreasonable to keep an athlete in the PC for five years training him as a money sink, and he would eventually stagnate there anyway, they need varied experience, like New Japan does with excursions once their rookies have trained to a solid baseline.

The issue is no amount of world class facilities or well picked trainers can substitute for years of varied experience, the real thing that makes for good wrestlers.

How many great wrestlers were great one year into their career? Or eighteen months? A few, sure, but they're not common.

yep thet way people became good wrestlers was riding from town to town and working doifferent territories around the world. learning what wwe wants without any of the expereince just means a bunch if medicore wrestlers

Aiii

So not worth it
The last three years I watched Mania with super casual and non-fans, the only matches they would be aware were even happening was Taker or Brock.

For what it's worth, I always see posts on Facebook from my more casual wrestling fans any time there's buzz about people like Taker, Brock, or Austin especially around Mania time. So yes, I do think Taker still has that appeal. And it's purely WWE's fault because they hitched their wagon purely to the Cena express and didn't bother making any other stars during that time.

So they nostalgia pop.

Are they buying Mania for Taker, though? Or would they be watching Mania because it is a thing they do? Would they stop coming to your Mania party after Taker is gone and nobody they know is wrestling anymore? Genuinely asking here.

I mean, there is a reason WWE brings back these old wrestlers for Mania, certainly. Exactly because the casuals that you bring to the Mania party have someone they recognise at least. But genuinely asking, is Taker selling anyone on Mania, or could you substitute him with any other 90s wrestler and still be fine?

So they nostalgia pop.

Are they buying Mania for Taker, though? Or would they be watching Mania because it is a thing they do? Would they stop coming to your Mania party after Taker is gone and nobody they know is wrestling anymore? Genuinely asking here.

I mean, there is a reason WWE brings back these old wrestlers for Mania, certainly. Exactly because the casuals that you bring to the Mania party have someone they recognise at least. But genuinely asking, is Taker selling anyone on Mania, or could you substitute him with any other 90s wrestler and still be fine?
I'd say Shane vs Taker is why Wrestlemania 32 was a success but then again, that's more because of Shane and people badly wanting to see him leap off something onto Taker.

Fox318

Real list of people whom wrassle gaf doesn't hate:

Naito
Bobby Lashley
Matt Riddle
Shinsuke Nakamura
Ishii
Shibata
AJ Styles

Hex

Banned
If it does happen, I hope Taker buries that vanilla midget.

I've warned you

FJWpfia.gif

Sephzilla

So they nostalgia pop.

Considering my casual friends only start talking about WrestleMania when WWE starts advertising the old guard guys like Taker... yeah, I sort of think so.

I'd say Shane vs Taker is why Wrestlemania 32 was a success but then again, that's more because of Shane and people badly wanting to see him leap off something onto Taker.

"Shane jumping off of high things" is kind of a nostalgia pop in its own.

On that note, most of my friends whom I watched Mania 32 with didn't actually believe Shane would jump off the cell. After he did it everyone was basically like

iaJXpRG.gif

Hex

Banned
Can we all agree now that in hindsight Taker losing to Brock was a terrible idea?

Brock still in the Brock role is a terrible idea.
Let Braun have him. Legitimize the monster (try and make people forget the Tiger Knee).
Stop letting him make jokes of your stars.
Yes, it may sting for a short time but would pay off more after a while when your stars you try to build up do not get ragdolled by Mr Part time.

"Shane jumping off of high things" is kind of a nostalgia pop in its own.

On that note, most of my friends whom I watched Mania 32 with didn't actually believe Shane would jump off the cell. After he did it everyone was basically like

iaJXpRG.gif
I remember going mad when he started climbing it. Like I knew the whole reason for the match was that one spot basically but in that moment I was still shook.

Mahonay

Banned
So they nostalgia pop.

Yeah I guess some people would still come because watching insane WrestleMania moments together is just fun, but it would be less I feel with out anyone they recognize.

Like I can't imagine anyone reacting to anything in the same way they did when DX and NWO ran in on HHH vs Sting. 100 percent nostalgia pop for sure. But that's the only thing connecting modern WWE to super casuals.

If I weren't there to describe who's who and background stories, I don't think any of those friends would even watch the screen while current talent matches were happening.

People are completely missing the point about a Balor v Taker match at Mania.

A) If there is any justice, Taker will pass the torch to Balor. Brock sure as fuck did not deserve it, Balor has a hell of a future.

B) If they want they can go heel with the Club involved.

But A is so much more important than B.

I think Finn could carry Taker to his best match in a long time.

Buh buh Demon doesn't do anything special.
Neither does Taker.
Maybe the "Hold my hand so I can walk the rope"?
Roll my eyes back and stick my tongue out?
Don't be a mark.

There is no passing of the torch, its basically just a dream match for hardcore fans who watch japan wrestling. Brock unlike balor is the best guy there besides Cena to beat taker. "Buh buh Demon doesn't do anything special." thats a load of bs biker taker character is completely different to his deadman gimmick unlike balor who is the same vanilla guy. Balor and the club simply suck. They stood out in japan because they are foreigners and the promotion in japan is less about the characters and more about the match itself.

Anyone in Texas go to the Wrestle Circus shows in Austin?

I've been to the last two. The December show went way too long and everyone was exhausted by the time it let out. Saturday's was better paced and a ton of fun. They run a very nice building a couple blocks south of the capital and get a diverse, energetic crowd.

Heroman

Banned
There is no passing of the torch, its basically just a dream match for hardcore fans who watch japan wrestling. Brock unlike balor is the best guy there besides Cena to beat taker. "Buh buh Demon doesn't do anything special." thats a load of bs biker taker character is completely different to his deadman gimmick unlike balor who is the same vanilla guy. Balor and the club simply suck. They stood out in japan because they are foreigners and the promotion in japan is less about the characters and more about the match itself.
Fans of Japanese pro wrestling don't want to see a Balor vs Taker match.

Hex

Banned

He is all Biker taker now with the dead man entrance. It is all he can do.
And why is Brock better?
He is a part timer who when the wind blows a way he doesn't like he will take his ball and leave.
Why should he have been the one. It should have been someone who would care about the business and carry it down the line. Even Cena would have been a better choice and I would have hated that.

Top Bottom