• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Kaladin

The people at NXT know when they have a good thing and know how to capitalize on that. I feel like they had that back in FCW as well.

Pikma

Banned
I think AJ is overrated

There's a shit ton of WWE talent that can put up better matches than that homophobic redneck

Like, I'd take a Dean Ambrose vs Dolph Ziggler 90 min iron man match over having to watch a 5min match of his against anyone in the roster

I actually quite like Brock as a promo, sure he's not the best but he comes off fairly believeable and just a guy who doesn't give a fuck and will beat your ass. I love those one-sided, sitdown interviews they do with him before every major match of his.

shaowebb

In terms of filling their current role, guys on RAW who are better than Sami on the mic:

-Big Show
-Bo Dallas
-Brock Lesnar
-Jericho
-Enzo
-Goldberg
-Kevin Owens
-Kofi Kingston
-Xavier Woods
-Big E
-Rusev
-Seth Rollins

give him a little more time,and i would add Braun to the list. And theres no point scapegoating RAW, Sami got more mic time on SMackdown pre-brand split and wasnt much better (beside some decent riffing with Ambrose).

I would not put Zayn in the top 25 promos in the WWE.

Yeah to a degree Cornette was really right on Steen and Generico. He never said they were bad but that they were a pain in the ass to work with and never wanted to bother with certain shit which he pointed out was how to work the mic (he named Generico for this straight up). I love the two and their ring work is super solid and praiseworthy but the talking issue is something you can't get by without forever.

I think Zayn will have it soon enough Steen/Owens caught on pretty well and I'm glad they bromanced him with Jericho to cover that weakness. Should just plain put Zayn and Jericho together and pull a "no longer my best friend" meme bit with them to stir up the awesome Zayn vs Owens stuff that never gets old.

Hasney

Goldberg hits every checkpoint his promos need to-that hes a no-bullshit guy whos fighting for the right reasons, who CAN win and who you should WANT to win. I saw him in Toronto- a Smarkden that wouldve loved to eat Goldberg alive-and they were eating out of the palm of his hand.

Brock has a natural charisma and has believability in every word that he says. He has Heyman but doesnt need Heyman. His videos about Orton and Goldberg were incredibily entertaining.

Rollins is struggling now in a poorly done face turn, but was excellent at getting legit Heel heat instead of the Cool-Heel bullshit Owens gets a lot.

To compare Zayns mic skills to Enzos is insulting. I barely held off putting Cass ahead of him.

The Goldberg I want is the one that refused to talk to Mene Gene, that was just so good at the time.

Brock needs Heyman to do it live. Yeah, those videos were great, but with infinite takes and editing and WWE's budget, you should be able to make it good. Here's his return promo when everyone involved (including Brock) knew they needed Heyman who fortunatley was in Stanford recording DVD content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLBQhblT2w

All Rollins did was laugh a lot? Then sounded constipated.

You're right with Enzo, I was comparing NXT Zayn promos to Raw "Hey, can you come up with 234728934789423 catchphrases? FANKS" Enzo. NXT to NXT where the writing was better or less scripted, Enzo was better.

Mahonay

Banned
Styles was openly publicly homophobic even up to 2015 and has rescinded none of it. Fuck him, AJ Lee will always be the best AJ in my opinion

Naito is the best though
I mean as a worker. Yes, fuck AJ for being a homophobe.

Omega's response to the same question about a gay following made me love him even more. Pretty much just "that's great!".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Styles was openly publicly homophobic even up to 2015 and has rescinded none of it. Fuck him, AJ Lee will always be the best AJ in my opinion

Naito is the best though

I'm surprised nobody caught that a few weeks back when Baron Corbin came out to interrupt during a confrontation with Dean Ambrose, AJ Styles clearly asked Dean "is that your boyfriend?"

RBH

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPN10jeh067/?hl=en

1grn1Qf.gif

UberTag

Eh, the guy that was lead writing on NXT and has gone over to SD seems pretty talented. HHH might have painted the broad strokes, but that dude knows nuance.
The dude's name is Ryan Ward. RYAN WARD.
Can we please start referring to him by name instead of always stating "that guy who used to write for NXT that now writes for SmackDown"? It's insulting.

AJ is probably homophobic. He's also the best wrestler in the world today. You can be both.

Just like Chik Fil A is the best fast food chicken.
Chris Benoit should have taught us all this lesson. Awful people can be phenomenal wrestling talents. It's not hard to disassociate the two.

Kaladin

Nobody produced any evidence of AJ Styles being homophobic other than an in ring promo he did years ago. That's not enough for me. In ring promos are scripted and I don't accept it as a reflection of the performer.

Omega's response to the same question about a gay following made me love him even more. Pretty much just "that's great!".

As a worker I liked his TNA stuff and New Japan stuff better than WWE. 7 matches with Cena and 4 matches with Reigns gets old after a while, and his Rumble appearance was honestly mostly nothing once the shock of him being there faded. A couple spots here and there didn't hide the fact he was there half an hour well, and I always felt it was weird people picked on Reigns doing nothing for a little over the same time.

Nobody produced any evidence of AJ Styles being homophobic other than an in ring promo he did years ago. That's not enough for me. In ring promos are scripted and I don't accept it as a reflection of the performer.

and the in ring promo he did right before going to wwe

If someone hands me a script telling me to call my opponent faggy, I'm telling them to fuck off.

also lol, thinking low tier indies have scripts

Caderfix

As a worker I liked his TNA stuff and New Japan stuff better than WWE. 7 matches with Cena and 4 matches with Reigns gets old after a while, and his Rumble appearance was honestly mostly nothing once the shock of him being there faded. A couple spots here and there didn't hide the fact he was there half an hour well, and I always felt it was weird people picked on Reigns doing nothing for a little over the same time.

TNA was great back then. Good times. I still think AJ is doing better now though, and that says a lot about how great he's doing, even though I agree that the same opponents all the time is a bummer.

That's the dumbest fucking reason not to want to watch someone wrestle.

Expand on how I should actually like a guy who hates me and thinks I shouldn't have rights

Really, I am interested in hearing how I have to make all these steps to accommodate, or justify supporting, someone who at best doesn't want me dead, just straight. Clearly this is going to be an intelligent response, so I would like to know it.

This. Fuck anybody who's homophobic, including AJ, but I won't deny his skills as a worker.

Foggy

Sometimes it's not worth getting in that argument. Even if you subscribe to the approach of separating performer from their personal selves, there's obviously a limit to that. So if someone can't get past certain heinous personal flaws, let them have that. It works the other way as well.

Barrage

AJ in terms of character and promo is so much more captivating in WWE than New Japan. He nailed the look in NJPW but the Bullet Club is just so fucking lame and rehashed. AJ in WWE is hitting that goofy but deadly Heel role that is quite difficult to pull off.

TNA was great back then. Good times. I still think AJ is doing better now though, and that says a lot about how great he's doing, even though I agree that the same opponents all the time is a bummer.

The X Division was top notch and I maintain that if a decent TNA streaming service (either fully them or just their archive being uploaded somewhere) ever came to fruition, peak X Division is worth the price alone.

Matches were almost always worth a watch at the bare minimum, and fucking Kevin Nash pulled off one of the best continuous series of segments ever with Alex Shelley and the rest of the division.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know how anyone can think AJ's TNA stuff was better than anything he did afterwards. He was so one dimensional in-ring in TNA where as NJPW and WWE he became a complete package and became godly at selling and pacing matches.

AJ in terms of character and promo is so much more captivating in WWE than New Japan. He nailed the look in NJPW but the Bullet Club is just so fucking lame and rehashed. AJ in WWE is hitting that goofy but deadly Heel role that is quite difficult to pull off.
He's like a less funny Kurt Angle, it's fantastic.

Expand on how I should actually like a guy who hates me and thinks I shouldn't have rights

Really, I am interested in hearing how I have to make all these steps to accommodate, or justify supporting, someone who at best doesn't want me dead, just straight. Clearly this is going to be an intelligent response, so I would like to know it.

Hates you? Doesn't think you have rights? To assume any of this true, we have to presume how much time AJ Styles sits in a dark corner seething and drooling over the idea that people love others of the same sex.

I don't know if AJ even thinks about these issues at all. There could be any number of reasons why he or anyone else regurgitates homophobic slurs (which doesnt make it any less homophobic and unacceptable, mind you.). With that said, Ignorance and hatred are not necessarily mutually exclusive, believe it or not.

Kaladin's point that this overlooked because of scripts doesn't hold weight because if so, then that implies others on the roster refuse delivering such language, to FlammableD's point.

Kaladin

I'm just saying, show me where AJ Styles was openly homophobic to someone when he's not cutting a promo. Using the language in a promo and being insensitive to what it might mean to some people can be totally different to how you personally feel. No one has been able to produce a tweet or interview or leaked tape of AJ Styles being homophobic. I just need to see evidence in the guy's personal life before I condemn him of something like that. I have not.

Pikma

Banned
Tajiri will be out for a while with an injury :(

@TajiriBuzzsaw said:
While Im absent,I try to learn more english.then after come back, My perfect english will overwhelm 205live guy`s their english^^)

Top Bottom