• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Pikma

Banned
That mania card seems bad. Does anyone care about an HHH Seth match ??

of all the garbage decisions that's what stands out the most for you? that match has been known since 2015

but yeah, as expected, WM will be a snore-fest

One would think it can't be worse than last year, but they always find a way

Lothar

Banned
Mania line up currently

"The Mania lineup at this point is looking like Goldberg vs. Lesnar, Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns, HHH vs. Seth Rollins, Jericho vs. Owens, Wyatt vs. Orton, Show vs. Shaquille O’Neal and Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax as the Raw women’s title match. The key is the Rumble winner is likely, although they could swerve, to be the person who will challenge for either the Universal title or WWE title.

The only Smackdown match on that list is Orton vs. Wyatt, and it’s not a secret that Wyatt was scheduled for a title run in 2017. That immediately puts both of them in contention, and if one wins, the other would be favored to win the Chamber match. There’s a story that just started going around about Orton winning the Rumble and Wyatt winning the Chamber match. If that doesn’t happen, it would be because plans changed. Even though historically the booking before Mania always gets out and it almost never changed (it changes for other reasons, such as injuries or guys quitting, but that’s usually known as well), with the increase in social media, my feeling is nothing is a lock until it happens. I doubt we’ll see major destination changes, in the sense the top of the card will probably be pretty close to as is slated now, but how to get there could change."

Does this mean KO is still champion at WM?

Mahonay

Banned
of all the garbage decisions that's what stands out the most for you? that match has been known since 2015

but yeah, as expected, WM will be a snore-fest

One would think it can't be worse than last year, but they always find a way
giphy.gif

FyreWulff

AJ styles was in WCW which is still crazy

And Charlotte! Actually I think Charlotte might be one of the only WCW debuted wrestlers in WWE right now that only worked for both WCW and WWE. Everyone else has been in another promotion before WCW or after WCW's demise.

edit:

Show had that short stint in Memphis Wrestling otherwise he also fits that description

Adree

C3EonyKXUAA6vxS.jpg:large

Lmao
"I'll be nice to you if you hand me over your product, PUPPET"

It's hilarious that towards the end of last year way before FloSlam was a thing they sent out surveys to test if people wanted other promotions on the Network so they had plenty of time to get this shit done. World of Sport will end up turning the entire year on it's head.

AJ is a mirror image of what they did with Punk.

"Thanks for carrying the brand on your back for eight months. But we need that title for something more important."

But then again, knowing Vince, he probably thinks a match with his son is the highest compliment he can give someone.

Does this mean KO is still champion at WM?

No, Meltzer says that
neither AJ or Owens are scheduled to be champions at Mania. Speculates Jericho/Owens might be for the US title though.

Also RIP Cruiserweights:

I'm not sure if its' because of bad quarter hours, but there has been a doctrine in recent weeks to keep the cruiserweight matches on Raw much shorter. Even this week when Swann vs. Dar went 5:00, almost the entire match was during the commercial break

If AJ can get a better than 3 and a half star match out of Shane, we should immediately drop all pretense and recognize him as the best wrestler on the planet.

What's the point, you already know who's going over

Actually we don't, especially if
Cena doesn't have the title and Joe is being brought in as highly as Meltzer is speculating.

Owens vs Jericho should be good? Of course his match vs AJ sucked last time...

It'll probably be okay, but I feel like they've teased the breakup for too long for it to really have an effect when they actually do it. I'll probably still enjoy it to a degree though.

Kenny Omega should be named Worker of the Decade for his ability to get anyone to seriously believe he's doing anything other than competing in the NJ Cup in two months.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If this is work and he's acting then he deserves an oscar

http://streamable.com/3p4rv

Not saying he'll leave NJPW, just that I think his current situation of uncertainty is real

There's a serious question that people don't seem to understand about how stable NJPW is. They were in the shitter like ~6 years ago.

Teasing going to another company then staying put is classic "working marks into a shoot" manovering.

Kenny Omega isnt going to WWE. Using the rumors as a way to bring more people to New Japan when he shows up again is smart.

Pikma

Banned
They put Jericho over AJ last mania. You know it's 100% possible.
Almost every match had a swerve winner last year, I doubt this year will be any different, so yeah, it'll be the opposite of what everyone wants and/or expects. Common sense doesn't exist when predicting WM winners

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I actually think its hilarious how many people didn't get the entire "guy from Atlanta" thing was a work and thought they legitimately refused to mention Styles' name on television because they don't like him.

Almost every match had a swerve winner last year, I doubt this year will be any different, so yeah, it'll be the opposite of what everyone wants and/or expects. Common sense doesn't exist when predicting WM winners

Um, yes it does. Just assume instead of storylines, WWE is booking to make the casual fan watching happy or push somebody to those causal fans.

Thus, Jericho winning, Brock beating Ambrose, the legends beating up the guys in the 6-man, Zach Ryder pointlessly winning the I-C title, Shane O' Mac being in a big match, a Flair keeping the Women's title, and Roman being crowned. It's about showing off what Vince wants to show off to the guy who got Wrestlemania, but doesn't pay attention the rest of the year (ala Bill Simmons, before his kid got into the WWE.)

You have to stop thinking of WM as the Super Bowl when it's really the a combination of All-Star Game and Old Timer's Game.

The normal storylines will go back into effect on the RAW after WM.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna laugh my balls off if Vince actually books his son to fight the best wrestler in the company for no actual reason

Angry Grimace

Viktor's win-loss record from 2016: 143 matches, 2 wins, 141 losses, win percentage: 1.3%.

In that case, they should pull a Stone Cold and just walk out and refuse to do the show. What an insult to them.

It's cute you think Hunter's Boy and the guy swimming in money after being stuck in TNA for a decade are going to walk out.

I'm gonna laugh my balls off if Vince actually books his son to fight the best wrestler in the company for no actual reason

From what it looks like, AJ's upset that Shane announced there will be an EC match, Orton will win the Rumble, Wyatt will win the belt at Elimination Chamber, Shane will refuse to give AJ a rematch -> it's on!

Angry Grimace

It's cute you think Hunter's Boy and the guy swimming in money after being stuck in TNA for a decade are going to walk out.

From what it looks like, AJ's upset that Shane announced there will be an EC match, Orton will win the Rumble, Wyatt will win the belt at Elimination Chamber, Shane will refuse to give AJ a rematch -> it's on!

I'm guessing neither of them are enough of marks for themselves to care enough to make waves.

That Mania lineup also assumes we have no Finn Balor.

But Jesus Christ so many of those matches are going to be boring as fuck.

No, Meltzer mentions Finn will be in a top match, but what it is is just undecided at the moment since he isn't cleared yet.

If this is work and he's acting then he deserves an oscar

http://streamable.com/3p4rv

Not saying he'll leave NJPW, just that I think his current situation of uncertainty is real

I don't think there has been uncertainty at any point. I think Kenny sees an opportunity to take a month and a half off while still keeping his name hot and he's taking advantage of it.

Striker

AJ is a mirror image of what they did with Punk.

"Thanks for carrying the brand on your back for eight months. But we need that title for something more important."
When someone as huge as The Rock is coming back for a few months, you take advantage of any obstacle you can. And he did face Taker (w/ his streak) which was the next best thing to do after The Rock returning.

I can't get over how awful and boring those rumors/matches sound. Blandy Orton. In 2017.

Sucks that WM is WWE's biggest event and entirely geared towards its least invested fans.

Why? It's smart. The Super Bowl isn't aimed at the NFL's most invested fans either. Because the NFL knows every football fan is watching the Super Bowl anyway.

The idea of
Orton
celebrating a Rumble victory as the show goes off the air.

Hey, just wait until Becky is on the pre-show at WM jobbing to a returning Eva Marie in a 8-woman tag that goes six minutes.

Hey, just wait until Becky is on the pre-show at WM jobbing to a returning Eva Marie in a 8-woman tag that goes six minutes.

Becky will either be in the title match (possibly Nikki/Bliss/Mickie/Becky) or involved with Mickie in some other way.

You can quote me on that, write it down, whatever.

Top Bottom