• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I got a chuckle out of Dolph Ziggler threatening to kill Jerry Lawler on SmackDown.

Kaladin

Hear ye, hear ye.

We have 31 entrants in the 2017 WrassleGaf Royal Ramble Lethal Lottery!

What is this you ask? Enter and you will receive a number to root for. Whoever comes out, you root for them to win the Rumble.....it's fun rooting for jobbers, eh?

Also, with 31 entrants, we are now into the second pool. So we'll have someone tied to the entire field and at least one number will be given to two people.

PM me by Friday at 5pm EST to enter. You can only enter once and no lurkers are allowed.

What jobber will you get this year?

Past entrants have recieved : Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Boogeyman, Titus O'neil, JTG, Bubba Ray Dudley, Goldust, Ryback, Curtis Axel, Fandango, Sin Cara and many more!

Kane uh

Your Uh

Murder ah
Lmfao!

I never understood how much of a mess that shit was until later in life. I didn't even understand sex and the shit at the time. Yeah, I was behind as a ten year old, fuck you but maybe more kids should be like me. But even some kids made reference to it the Tuesday after but I was like, uhmmm what are they talking about? I was just hoping Taker beat up big bad lesnar who beat up The Rock 😔

Forbes did a list of who statistically had the best Royal Rumble performance of all time based on time spent in the match and on quality of opponents they eliminated.

1 -
Ric Flair [1992]
2 -
Steve Austin [1997]
3 -
Chris Benoit [2004]
4 -
Rey Mysterio [2006]
5 -
HBK [1996]
6 -
Yokozuna [1993]
7 -
HBK [1995]
8 -
Hulk Hogan [1990]
9 -
Randy Orton [2009]
10 -
Lex Luger [1994]

Notable others:
11 -
Vince McMahon [1999]
15 -
Roman Reigns [2015]
23 -
Bret Hart [1994]
30 -
Alberto Del Rio [2011]
No Kane from 2001? What a bullshit list!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Styles had a great run. I was and am happy for him. I just wish he won WM last year, and had a high profile win this year at WM.

I mean, WrestleMania doesn't *really* matter and Styles was WWE Champion for most of the year, so its hard to act like he's not being pushed just because he's allegedly getting a shitty gimmick match at Mania.

I wouldn't be surprised if its disappointing for the guy on a personal level, but c'est la vie. WrestleMania unfortunately is built to be a casual spectacle rather than a serious culmination of storylines. It's not like his WWE career or year is going to be ruined by not having a barn burner at WrestleMania. Same story for Owens - he was given the job to carry the brand all year and has the hottest angle on the main show, and fighting Jericho is the logical conclusion of that angle, really.

Angry Grimace

Wrestlemania matters a whole lot, more than anything WWE does.

It matters to their bottom line, but it doesn't matter to the week-to-week operations.

The event that pays off actual storylines played out by the regular personnel is SummerSlam.

You know one thing I love about this Royal Rumble?

We know none of the order. None. Not 1, not 30, none.

Sami's getting No. 1. He has an anti-Authority backstory to justify being punished with the spot and he's perfect for being the dude who can sell for 30 minutes and then fail, but get lightly praised on commentary for staying in the Rumble a reasonable amount of time.

Hasney

Wrestlemania matters a whole lot, more than anything WWE does.

It matters for them as a company for sure, but what people mean is that just because AJ doesn't have the belt (if he doesn't), then that doesn't matter. You've gotta be on that part-time status or Roman to get that.

Angry Grimace

It matters for them as a company for sure, but what people mean is that just because AJ doesn't have the belt (if he doesn't), then that doesn't matter. You've gotta be on that part-time status or Roman to get that.

Exactly. I don't think AJ Styles is dumb enough to not notice he's legitimately the face of SmackDown since Cena rarely bothers to show up and that he was given the WWE Championship for that reason. And he's doing it in an era where they've cut down on title hot-shotting, even with the minor titles, and more so with the major ones.

I think the difference between Owens and AJ is that AJ is far, far, more likely to stick around the title hunt than Owens is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses the title and wins it back around SummerSlam.

Hasney

Shadows Of The Damned is the only Grasshopper game I've missed out on over the past decade. Just turned up at a time when I was busy with other games and never got round to it.

Hey, you said you got rid of your 360. Got an XB1? GUESS WHAT BECAME BC TODAY

Angry Grimace

Whether its true or not, Orton v. Wyatt for the title is actually an interesting match for me. It's something different.

Roman v. Undertaker seems like literally the worst idea in recent memory unless it actively involves a heel turn, which it probably won't unless they plan to bring Shinsuke Nakamura to the main roster and hot shot him (since he would be the most over babyface on Raw by a considerable margin).

Rollins/HHH is not a problem for me since it pays off a 2 year storyline - I'd like to see Seth debut a new finisher at that point. Maybe the Angel Wings or something - its similar to the Pedigree without being the Pedigree.

Owens/Jericho for the US or Universal title - this is a good payoff and if Jericho is leaving, this might be it for him, so he could turn babyface for a bit, I suppose. Not to mention if he keeps all the List and IT stuff, he'd continue to to get babyface pops for it.

Honestly don't care for Lesnar/Goldberg in any way. It sounds like a whatever match that will probably expose Goldberg. I'd honestly rather they just shoehorn Undertaker with these two so that Taker and Lesnar can cover for Goldberg and you'd have a super ultra legendary whatever match and not waste other people's time.

AJ/Shane if true sounds like a complete waste of time. Shane isn't good at wrestling, he's good at doing stunts and almost every trick in AJ Styles's arsental is more impressive than Shane's entire war-chest of moves, which mostly involves jumping off of stuff. It was fine with Taker, because Taker isn't putting on a clinic with anyone, whereas Styles still can put on a clinic if you put him in the ring with a star.

Angry Grimace

Reigns/Take sounds lovely to me because I'm not invested in this traaash and it'll probably be a hilarious sight.

I don't really care for 2017 Undertaker matches, so it sounds like a horrible idea, but in reality, I agree it will be a comic spectacle to see 70,000 fans lose their shit booing the dude. I legit can't think of something that would get Roman booed more than beating up the Undertaker at WrestleMania.

Beefy

@realellsworth

Any Man With Two Hands Has A Fighting Chance to win the #RoyalRumble help me take that chance by using the hashtag #EllsworthRumble RETWEET

Fuck Ellsworth

Mahonay

Banned
@realellsworth

Any Man With Two Hands Has A Fighting Chance to win the #RoyalRumble help me take that chance by using the hashtag #EllsworthRumble RETWEET

Fuck Ellsworth
Don't worry. You'll get your cathartic moment when Braun absolutely murders Ellsworth.

Did we know about this WWE Superstars match-three mobile game, because it's not half bad once you get into it.

Those first impressions, though ...

q9PGRRs.png

Pikma

Banned
There was a story going around that Brian James (Road Dogg) had replaced Ryan Ward as the head writer of Smackdown. The story is actually that James got a corporate promotion (the official title may be head consultant but we didn’t get the exact wording confirmed) , over Ward, but they are sharing the job of pitching Smackdown to Vince McMahon, who then rewrites it as he sees fit. James has been the guy reading the show to the other producers at the production meeting for some time now. So it’s not a major change in the show, nor are rumors Ward is no longer with the show correct, only that James got a promotion and would technically be above Ward in that way, but Ward is also still technically titled the lead writer of the show. James and Ward have essentially been co-head writer of the show since it started getting praised. James is considered Paul Levesque’s emissary on the show and to be one of the major power brokers going forward, particularly if and when Levesque does take over

Crisis averted

they need to fix the tag team division tho

Zach

Getting about $4,000 back from the ol' tax refund. Guess I should look into refinancing my mortgage. Where is NeoGAF Vince McMahon when I need him?

Heroman

Banned
It matter a hell of a lot, it shows what Vince thinks about AJ .

Angry Grimace

If Kenny Omega is going to announce what he's doing next on a Wrestling Observer podcast, doesn't that pretty much mean it's not WWE?

I mean, there's only 2 options, but I'm relatively certain they'd let him do whatever he wanted if he was signing anyways - Nakamura negotiated a few things into his deal as well. But I don't buy that he's leaving NJPW or that he ever was. I think he thinks his gig is pretty sweet.

If Kenny Omega is going to announce what he's doing next on a Wrestling Observer podcast, doesn't that pretty much mean it's not WWE?

It is supposed to be announced about 2 hours from now. I tuned into the WOLRadio thing, and Alvarez is heavily pushing people to subscribe to get the info. I am reminded on Mean Gene's WWF Hotline.

Pikma

Banned
It is supposed to be announced about 2 hours from now. I tuned into the WOLRadio thing, and Alvarez is heavily pushing people to subscribe to get the info. I am reminded on Mean Gene's WWF Hotline.
Yes, this is basically them partnering with Kenny for cross promotion

It'll be a whole bunch of nothing, and I'm fine with that honestly, He deserves better than jobbing to whatever veteran they throw at him on his WM debut

Top Bottom