• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Entropia

No One Remembers
Omega vs. Okada was really a great match.

After the match my buddy was looking up what Okada was saying in the ring and found out the match was 46 minutes. It didn't feel like 46 minutes, at all.

Kaladin

Kicking out of finishers is my least favorite thing.

BVbv7ZY.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just don't see Kenny ever leaving Japan, he loves it there and he certainly doesn't seem too fond of WWE and their creative.

Don't let Kenny work you. For all the negative stuff he says, you can see from what he says that he's pretty careful not to burn any bridges.

Bizazedo

I think Kelly and Corino make a pretty good team *shrugs* I'll agree on the Bucks/Cole matches though.

Agreed, liked it. I also laughed at the reactions when the Tokyo pimp came out, especially Kelly asking what he was doing with his wedding ring.

The best part though was the one dressed as a bunny and Kelly asking Corino about his child and the Easter Bunny and "ruining" it for Corino. Corino's soft "I hate you" was fantastic.

Foggy

Yeah, it's hard to say how much of Omega's words are fueled by doing his damndest to convince NJPW that he's not going anywhere and to entrust him with being a centerpiece. But judging by his extended stay in Japan and his obvious intense passion to put on brilliant performances, I'd be inclined to believe him.

I remember hearing somewhere (don't recall if it was Dave or PWInsider, but it was within the last day) that Omega's unhappy New Japan is so worried he'll leave for WWE

Which I kinda feel like he shouldn't be. Exactly a year ago the same thing happened with 4 other people they had/liked/pushed heavily. I don't blame them for being fearful or protective of him or Okada or Naito right now

Anth0ny

Omega seems like he's deadset on not leaving New Japan. good on him.

young bucks have proven that you don't need WWE to be a star AND make great money.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Kicking out of finishers is my least favorite thing.
If it's done sparingly and saved for big moments then it can feel amazing when someone kicks out of a finisher. The problem is that it's so overused these days to the point that you know pretty much every time someone is going to kick out. There's no surprise and it's just lame.

Zach

If it's done sparingly and saved for big moments then it can feel amazing when someone kicks out of a finisher. The problem is that it's so overused these days to the point that you know pretty much every time someone is going to kick out. There's no surprise and it's just lame.
Mmhmm. It could be great and effective if used sparingly. Like, zero to two times per year. But it being commonplace adds nothing, while hurting the big movez. It's lazy, crappy booking/wrestling and I hate it.

Anth0ny

I don't get what's so hard about attempting a finisher unsuccessfully a bunch of times during a match, but when you actually DO hit it, that's the finish. You know, a finisher actually finishing off the opponent?

Instead of hitting 4 alternative finishers then 2 main finishers that are kicked out of.

I don't know why in particularly but the phrase "the orgy suite" is killing me. Like it's some sort of official designation. Also I'll probably regret asking this, but I wonder if they roleplay for it.

Also I'm with Zach and Anth0ny, they're called finishers for a reason.

Raw64life

I know NJPW usually sticks to 1 year deals but if they're so worried about Omega leaving and Omega is adamant that he's not leaving, why not just sign a long term deal?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't get what's so hard about attempting a finisher unsuccessfully a bunch of times during a match, but when you actually DO hit it, that's the finish. You know, a finisher actually finishing off the opponent?

Instead of hitting 4 alternative finishers then 2 main finishers that are kicked out of.

Joe vs Punk was about that. Originally they wanted to do finisher kick-outs but Ricky Steamboat told them that was stupid just build to the finish.

of course they both threw that away afterwards

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, it's hard to say how much of Omega's words are fueled by doing his damndest to convince NJPW that he's not going anywhere and to entrust him with being a centerpiece. But judging by his extended stay in Japan and his obvious intense passion to put on brilliant performances, I'd be inclined to believe him.

It's not that I don't believe him - I don't doubt he means it when he says that he has no present intent to go to WWE since he's refused to do it before.

And sure, he's been negative about WWE, but I've never seen anything that comes off anything like burying the company or anyone there though. That said, WWE is one of the few companies around that can make offers people can't refuse.

They stop doing the one year deal last year.

Precisely because of the big mass defection.

So apparently
Goldberg will be wrestling at fastlane

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lesnar wins the Rumble and Goldberg takes the belt off of Owens/Roman in order to justify that as a main event spot. (Or you could reverse that)

Angry Grimace

Omega seems like he's deadset on not leaving New Japan. good on him.

young bucks have proven that you don't need WWE to be a star AND make great money.

I think a lot of people overestimate how much money there is in wrestling. It's like Cena, Lesnar and a bunch of people making a tenth of what those dudes are making, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Cena's other projects pay him a substantial percentage of what he makes in wrestling.

Angry Grimace

so, why exactly omega vs okada was worthy of 6 stars?

Because it was good? Watch the match if you want to know.

But Meltzer's trolling people with the 6 stars - there's a joke that Meltzer gives a bonus star to any match in the Tokyo Dome.

We need more 'super finishers' where a wrestler has a regular finisher for most matches but on the rare occasion somebody kicks out then they have to pull out the super finisher to actually take them down.

Like for example, Sami Zayn should use the Blue Thunder Bomb as his finisher, then only use the Helluva Kick when that doesn't work.

But yeah it should be more 'can they hit their finisher' and less 'will their finisher work'. If people are kicking out all the time why is it a finisher?

Angry Grimace

We need more 'super finishers' where a wrestler has a regular finisher for most matches but on the rare occasion somebody kicks out then they have to pull out the super finisher to actually take them down.

Like for example, Sami Zayn should use the Blue Thunder Bomb as his finisher, then only use the Helluva Kick when that doesn't work.

But yeah it should be more 'can they hit their finisher' and less 'will their finisher work'. If people are kicking out all the time why is it a finisher?

I'd love to see Owens pull out the package piledriver in a huge match, but they'd never let him do it, unfortunately.

sibarraz

Banned
Because it was good? Watch the match if you want to know.

But Meltzer's trolling people with the 6 stars - there's a joke that Meltzer gives a bonus star to any match in the Tokyo Dome.

I watched it, was good, but unless you are right with meltzer's trolling, I want an explanation on why is the best match ever?

Everyone has his own meter to rate matches, so I'm curious on why it was the best match ever

Top Bottom