• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Mahonay

Banned
Watching NJ dash, loving Corino and Kelly giving no fucks and shitting on Tatsu and making Bone Soldier jokes.
Glad I'm not alone in this. When I watched some of the show last night my girlfriend had no idea why I was giggling so much.

No Matt Striker feels nice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Glad I'm not the only one who likes the English commentary, it's good, totally fine at WORST, and everyone seems to hate it for no reason

imBask

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one who likes the English commentary, it's good, totally fine at WORST, and everyone seems to hate it for no reason

it's ingrained in the mind of people who like japanese stuff

for reference, read any thread about anime subs and dubs

I find it pretty annoying, it was especially cringey when the Tokyo pimp with his ladies came out and it sounded like 2 jerry lawlers talking.

Raw64life

I gave it quite a few chances. Kevin Kelly is unbearable. Almost as bad as Striker. The first few PPVs they did I'd listen to them for maybe 30 minutes before switching to Japanese. For WK I didn't bother for even a second. I learned my lesson.

cordy

Banned
Meltz on WWE & Omega: https://streamable.com/5elpq

I know what Meltz is saying here, but to think that he could be NJPW Kenny Omega in the current iteration of WWE is just silly.

After what Styles did when he joined I think it's possible. It just depends because we might have to see Omega get destroyed for half a year before he's "allowed" to do anything. Still I agree.

Styles is just an anomaly though. I don't know how he climbed out of that hole that Reigns feud did with him. He's damn near given anyone a chance if they're great. If Styles can do it then I'd say Omega has a shot. Just depends if they let him go all in like with Styles.

Kaladin

After what Styles did when he joined I think it's possible. It just depends because we might have to see Omega get destroyed for half a year before he's "allowed" to do anything. Still I agree.

Styles is just an anomaly though. I don't know how he climbed out of that hole that Reigns feud did with him. He's damn near given anyone a chance if they're great. If Styles can do it then I'd say Omega has a shot. Just depends if they let him go all in like with Styles.

AJ wouldn't have near the amount of success he's had this year without the Brand Split. If it was still one roster, they'd have KO be the main champ and that would be it.

C1bM74hVIAEUXfX.jpg

Recall

I don't think you need English commentary but I'm glad there is a choice, options for fans are nice. I will always prefer the Japanese commentary personally.

The thing with Styles though was he didn't really "do" anything. He just went out there and did his thing. It's just that fans ate.it.up. The fans are what allowed him to ascend so much. And yeah I agree the brand split helped a lot b/c I don't think that Club angle was working well for him

ReiGun

I feel like some thanks may be owed to Cena. When he was around last year, he spent a lot of time helping get other people over (Owens, Enzo and Cass, etc) and AJ was easily the biggest benefactor of that. Granted, AJ soared because he's one of the best doing it right now. But last summer was all about Cena helping get Styles out of the midcard.

Now whether that was because Cena flexed a bit to get a program with Styles, Styles advocating for himself, or Vince realizing he was letting a top talent go to waste, idk.

TL21xx

Banned
Watched Wrestle Kingdom last night, it was fantastic, especially that main event. Was legit worked hard in it with all of those near-falls and am loving the booking of the One Winged Angel. Meltz is right on the money with him having the potential to be a better AJ Styles, not that it's a dig on him whatsoever, but Omega does have that age upside.

The hardest part is wooing Kenny away from Japan and getting past the creative problem. That's starting to get a bit better as seen on SmackDown, but the way that they're handling the Raw brand will have to shift quite a bit if they have any shot of getting him onboard (saying this based off of his interviews, he cares a lot about how his character and presentation, even moreso than the Bucks).

Zach

So... you think you're unhuggable?

HUG LIFE

THIS IS BASIC HUGANOMICS

HUG LIFE

THIS IS BASIC HUGANOMICS

(You're untouchable but I'm forcing you to hug me)

Hopefully when Bayley outgrows her current gimmick, she turns heel with a statutory rapist teacher gimmick. Or would that not be PG?

I'm just thinking about if a guy like Iishi or Shibata came to the WWE and were told to wrestle how they did in NJPW. I wonder if fans would be receptive of it or find it incredibly boring. It's not flashy by any means, and not really a typical WWE-spot but god fucking dammit if you don't tense up with some of their stuff.

Recall

I'm just thinking about if a guy like Iishi or Shibata came to the WWE and were told to wrestle how they did in NJPW. I wonder if fans would be receptive of it or find it incredibly boring. It's not flashy by any means, and not really a typical WWE-spot but god fucking dammit if you don't tense up with some of their stuff.

Japanese fans can get behind an underdog, WWE fans would be bored. WWE is about characters or at least connecting with the crowd. Wrestling style isn't enough.

shaowebb

Hopefully when Bayley outgrows her current gimmick, she turns heel with a statutory rapist teacher gimmick. Or would that not be PG?

Wow...I didn't think anyone could come up with a worse gimmick than Chaz becoming Beaver Cleavage. Vince Russo is that you?

Let's see if medical would clear them first

sora87

I think Kelly and Corino make a pretty good team *shrugs* I'll agree on the Bucks/Cole matches though.

Indeed, plus for people like me who don't catch every event it helps having some of the stories told before matches so you understand what's going on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, it's completely speculative anyways. It's not like WWE is willing to pony up to get Kenny Omega anyways. There's almost literally nobody else in the world other than CM Punk, Lesnar or Goldberg who would cost more for them to get.

They got AJ because AJ wanted to come back to the US for his family and at his age he probably cost less.

AJ Styles is the biggest star in the company after doing the exact same thing at WK10.

He's an outlier by far. Fans were eating him up and really buying into his matches. If he didn't get the INSANE pop he did at Royal Rumble I don't know if he would have gotten the rapid push he did. Styles has a much longer history and awareness from american fans, I'd imagine at least, so I'm sure that also helped.

Kaladin

We've been predicting WrassleGaf turning on Bayley for a year now....but Zach turning on Bayley?

Worst timeline confirmed.

Sephzilla

There used to seemingly be a competition in WrassleGAF for who could post the craziest shit and ignite the biggest arguments. It got a number of OT threads locked.

I'm honestly glad those days are behind us and the people who did that shit are either banned or don't post in here anymore. WrassleGAF is a better place now.

Foggy

To Styles eternal credit, he was able to really turn things around for himself. I remember thinking he was hosed after the miserable Jericho feud around WM. I wouldn't really count on anybody to replicate what AJ's done.

He's an outlier by far. Fans were eating him up and really buying into his matches. If he didn't get the INSANE pop he did at Royal Rumble I don't know if he would have gotten the rapid push he did. Styles has a much longer history and awareness from american fans, I'd imagine at least, so I'm sure that also helped.
It really really helps that the rumble was in Orlando where he spent a long while wrestling for tna. But regardless what an amazing pop it was that night and I lost my voice marking out.

Angry Grimace

Omega would be an instant star the same way. I doubt all of the people at the Rumble were familiar with his work in TNA or NJPW; a lot of it is just word of mouth, same with Omega.

But like I said, they can't afford to pay Omega. I mean, nobody really takes Kenny seriously when he says he doesn't ever want to go there, Kenny's just working. But at the same time, they'd have to pay Omega so much money that he'd be almost forced into a main event role and they probably don't want to both pony up that kind of cash and send a dude to the main event when they don't actually know as a certainty that he'll get over.

Barrage

I mean, it's completely speculative anyways. It's not like WWE is willing to pony up to get Kenny Omega anyways. There's almost literally nobody else in the world other than CM Punk, Lesnar or Goldberg who would cost more for them to get.

They got AJ because AJ wanted to come back to the US for his family and at his age he probably cost less.

I think you're vastly overrating how much it would cost to get Omega. Okada's the highest paid guy in New Japan and he doesn't make half a million. He wouldn't even be in the Top 10 in WWE Salaries.

Omega couldn't get Goldberg/Lesnar/CM Punk money if he wrestled the next hundred years.

Angry Grimace

WWE puts a lot of restrictions on performers though.

WWE Okada would never be allowed to hit those tombstones. That table spot would have been banned. To name but a few of the moves in that final match that would be deemed too unsafe in WWE.

A-Train?

Right, but a lot of the things WWE has banned have good reasons to be banned. I don't really *want* to see guys doing piledrivers because its not a safe move.

I think you're vastly overrating how much it would cost to get Omega. Okada's the highest paid guy in New Japan and he doesn't make half a million. He wouldn't even be in the Top 10 in WWE Salaries.

Omega couldn't get Goldberg/Lesnar/CM Punk money if he wrestled the next hundred years.
Right, but profit margins even in the WWE aren't actually that high. He wouldn't get anywhere near what those guys would command, but those guys are proven draws that already make several times more than everyone else that isn't Cena or Orton. I don't mean that he's getting those guys money, but he's the next up on a short list of dudes that could plausibly walk into the company and immediately be a huge star. Those guys are proven top-flight draws and really, who else is even around that they don't already have signed?

The problem is that while I don't buy Kenny's claim he wouldn't come over ever, its a known fact that he's turned down WWE offers on more than one occasion. They'd have to substantially increase what he's making in NJPW to get him to jump ship and they'd have to offer that to a dude they have no clue about. I would be willing to bet HHH is already doing everything he possibly can to try and get the guy since he already did.

Raw64life

AJ wrestled on American TV nearly every week for almost 15 years before he stepped foot in a WWE ring. To my knowledge Omega has never appeared on US television. It's quite a big difference.

Kaladin

Give Kenny Omega another year or two at the top in Japan and we'll hear he's signing a Samoa Joe kind of deal with NXT.

sora87

I just don't see Kenny ever leaving Japan, he loves it there and he certainly doesn't seem too fond of WWE and their creative.

Top Bottom