• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Heroman

Banned
ezgif.com-feb94ea35e.gif

miserable

all this talk about Meltzer stars reminds me how people on gaming side used to get triggered by Famitsu 40/40 scores. NINTENDOGS WAAAAH WAAAH

Sephzilla

The problem with finishers is that at some point they stopped being big moves used after opponents had been worn down to simply being DragonBall Z super moves that immediately destroy opponents. Honestly, Stone Cold is somewhat responsible for this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I watched it, was good, but unless you are right with meltzer's trolling, I want an explanation on why is the best match ever?

Everyone has his own meter to rate matches, so I'm curious on why it was the best match ever

Because he legitimately thought it was a 5-star match, but he gave it 6-stars because Tokyo Dome.

He just liked how crazy it was despite the length.

I watched it, was good, but unless you are right with meltzer's trolling, I want an explanation on why is the best match ever?

Everyone has his own meter to rate matches, so I'm curious on why it was the best match ever

Dave said:
Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 11 on 1/4 at the Tokyo Dome.

The 46:45 classic, coming at the end of a show that lasted five hours and 40 minutes, set New Japan’s all-time record for live foreign streaming viewers, peaking at about 7:30 a.m. Eastern time. A Jim Ross/Josh Barnett commentated version of the match will air on 1/13 on AXS TV, which very well could be the best one hour pro wrestling television show ever, given one match shows (Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. from CWF in 1972; Ric Flair vs. Kerry Von Erich in Dallas; Flair vs. Von Erich in Honolulu; Flair vs. Barry Windham in Fayetteville; Midnight Express vs. Fantastics in Chattanooga; Tanahashi vs. Okada from 2013; Tanahashi vs. Styles from 2015) have been among the best and as great as the aforementioned matches were, this had most of the elements that all of those matches had, but elements they didn’t and really combined the elements they did better.

Okada retained the IWGP heavyweight title after a spinning jumping tombstone piledriver and a fourth rainmaker, featured nearly every element of a classic match, from intensity, crowd heat, tremendous psychology, off the charts athleticism, hard hitting, timing, innovation and high risk and dangerous moves. The keys to the story is that Omega never once got to hit his one winged angel finisher, and even in defeat, came out of the show being almost clearly the best big match wrestler on the planet.

And I agree completely with every word. Perfect storytelling, and sets up the big future rematch and moment where Omega finally hits the finisher and wins the belt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol Ricochet burying 205 while saying he's not burying 205

"After [Japan], I can focus on the long distance future. The guys on the 205 Live cruiserweight show are awesome. My boy Rich Swann is killing it. But that’s not the route I want to take. I want to work my way up from NXT champion to U.S. or Intercontinental champion. I have goals, and I’m not willing to settle. This is nothing against the cruiserweights on 205, but it’s just not for me.”

I also like how he's so comically realistic in his goals. Being the US champ.

Foggy

If you think Meltzer is trolling, then I don't think any response would be satisfying.

sibarraz

Banned
And I agree completely with every word. Perfect storytelling, and sets up the big future rematch and moment where Omega finally hits the finisher and wins the belt.

Oh I see, that's a good explanation, I loved too that Omega never hit the one winged angel, it really protected the move as lethal. thanks for the answer

If you think Meltzer is trolling, then I don't think any response would be satisfying.

I don't know, grimace said that meltzer wa trolling, I'm really curious about the rating, don't know why some people are so defensive when someone asks about the logic behind meltzer's rating

"After [Japan], I can focus on the long distance future. The guys on the 205 Live cruiserweight show are awesome. My boy Rich Swann is killing it. But that’s not the route I want to take. I want to work my way up from NXT champion to U.S. or Intercontinental champion. I have goals, and I’m not willing to settle. This is nothing against the cruiserweights on 205, but it’s just not for me.”

He knows. He fucking knows.

Angry Grimace

The sixth star is wink-wink thing, but he's legit when he says he thought it was the best match he ever saw.

sora87

We need more 'super finishers' where a wrestler has a regular finisher for most matches but on the rare occasion somebody kicks out then they have to pull out the super finisher to actually take them down.

Like for example, Sami Zayn should use the Blue Thunder Bomb as his finisher, then only use the Helluva Kick when that doesn't work.

But yeah it should be more 'can they hit their finisher' and less 'will their finisher work'. If people are kicking out all the time why is it a finisher?

AJ should break out the spinal tap at wrestlemania

Foggy

I don't know, grimace said that meltzer wa trolling, I'm really curious about the rating, don't know why some people are so defensive when someone asks about the logic behind meltzer's rating

I wasn't being defensive, I had thought you knew Meltzer's reasoning but still thought it was trolling.

Angry Grimace

I don't mean he's making it up, I just mean the sixth star was just him poking fun at people who claim he gives every Tokyo Dome match extra stars.

We need more 'super finishers' where a wrestler has a regular finisher for most matches but on the rare occasion somebody kicks out then they have to pull out the super finisher to actually take them down.

Like for example, Sami Zayn should use the Blue Thunder Bomb as his finisher, then only use the Helluva Kick when that doesn't work.

But yeah it should be more 'can they hit their finisher' and less 'will their finisher work'. If people are kicking out all the time why is it a finisher?

Cena should use a regular stunner instead of a springboard one at Mania

He's so much better than anyone currently at 205live, it's obvious he doesn't need to be there.

I remember hearing somewhere (don't recall if it was Dave or PWInsider, but it was within the last day) that Omega's unhappy New Japan is so worried he'll leave for WWE

Which I kinda feel like he shouldn't be. Exactly a year ago the same thing happened with 4 other people they had/liked/pushed heavily. I don't blame them for being fearful or protective of him or Okada or Naito right now

That's the speculation for why he was coming out so heavy in the most recent interviews. That it's Omega's way of saying "Don't worry, I"m not leaving"

He's so much better than anyone currently at 205live, it's obvious he doesn't need to be there.

Listen, Ricochet is a lot of fun in the ring but you're severely underselling Gallagher

Recall

Omega was chasing the belt. You have to watch the chase to be invested in the drama. I genuinely feel the wrestling community is a bigger downer on everything.

Recall

Omega went from junior heavy, to going after the IC belt, to winning the biggest tournament and going after the biggest prize of them all in the span of the year. It was an incredible journey, hence the investment in all the near falls in his match with Okada.

Angry Grimace

There are plenty of dudes who are really good on 205 Live. I still maintain the brand still has life in it - they literally only started giving the cruiserweights actual characters and stuff in the last month. Before that it was just random 6 man tags. The fact that the division magically got better when Gallagher and Neville got into the division (and Neville finally got a character after like 2 years) isn't an accident.

I really don't have any clue why they started the division by having a bunch of dudes work safe as fuck matches with no actual characterization behind it. If you're just going to have them run out there and do whatever, they should be doing flips 'n shit.

I don't think they have much of a choice other than to bring Austin Aries in as a wrestler either - dude's over as fuck as a dude on commentary. I think they'd be smart to bring Itami (who has an unresolved feud with him) as well.

Heroman

Banned
Omega went from junior heavy, to going after the IC belt, to winning the biggest tournament and going after the biggest prize of them all in the span of the year. It was an incredible journey, hence the investment in all the near falls in his match with Okada.
He gonna win the belt this year but the question is when, hopefully he wins it before the g1

That's the speculation for why he was coming out so heavy in the most recent interviews. That it's Omega's way of saying "Don't worry, I"m not leaving"

Listen, Ricochet is a lot of fun in the ring but you're severely underselling Gallagher

I like him, he's great, but Ricochet is on a level of its own. The only two wrestlers at that threshold of greatness that 205 can offer are Tozawa and Metallik, none of them currently on the show.

There are plenty of dudes who are really good on 205 Live. I still maintain the brand still has life in it - they literally only started giving the cruiserweights actual characters and stuff in the last month. Before that it was just random 6 man tags. The fact that the division magically got better when Gallagher and Neville got into the division (and Neville finally got a character after like 2 years) isn't an accident.

I really don't have any clue why they started the division by having a bunch of dudes work safe as fuck matches with no actual characterization behind it. If you're just going to have them run out there and do whatever, they should be doing flips 'n shit.

I don't think they have much of a choice other than to bring Austin Aries in as a wrestler either - dude's over as fuck as a dude on commentary. I think they'd be smart to bring Itami (who has an unresolved feud with him) as well.

The problem was running with Kendrick and TJP as the two big guys on the title scene. Kendrick overall sucks major ass and TJP's mic work is lackluster, but he's good in-ring.

Ithil

Almost identical to the "women's revolution", where everyone just got tossed out there in endless six person tags, and none of it got over until they had an actual proper feud with Charlotte and Becky.

I'm just saying...Da Meltz hasn't given five stars to any WWE match since Kane's debut and in this very thread, you gave Survivor Series 1998 a C-. It all adds Zach, it all adds up.

Or should I call you...DAVE!?

Nah, it just proves Kane was the last big draw they ever had

So good his goddamn debut appearance got a five, and he wasn't even officially in the match or hyped to appear!

#ThereIsKane

Top Bottom